Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Yes Virginia, extreme belief in God is a Mental Illness . . .

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

The attached story is funny and accurate. Fundamentalist believers (from Baptists to ISIS) are, in every way, completely whacko!

It may be time to march them all to the oven doors .... (The preceding thought was prompted by the respected, dignified, former Baptist preacher and governor of Arkansas).

http://www.salon.com/2015/07/26/the_religious_have_gone_insane_the_separation_of_church_and_state_and_scalia_from_his_mind/

The idea of a deity is more likely than an enormous authoritarian cental govt respecting the huddled masses.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

We all have deities.  This one is mine. And I don't EVER want to hear hucklebee backing him up on bass. That would be a sacrilege.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PkrBum wrote:The idea of a deity is more likely than an enormous authoritarian cental govt respecting the huddled masses.

I wouldn't know, I've never experienced either one.

Markle

Markle

It is sad that we have someone among us who is so filled with hate and vitriol for something of which he knows nothing.  Faith in a higher being.  I feel sorry for him being so filled with pain and sorrow with no way out.

Yes Virginia, extreme belief in God is a Mental Illness . . .  What%20do%20you%20get%20for%20praying_zpsu0jmk8tp

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:It is sad that we have someone among us who is so filled with hate and vitriol for something of which he knows nothing.  Faith in a higher being.  I feel sorry for him being so filled with pain and sorrow with no way out.

Yes Virginia, extreme belief in God is a Mental Illness . . .  What%20do%20you%20get%20for%20praying_zpsu0jmk8tp

Yeah, life is tough. Had my 79th birthday yesterday, helped a neighbor with some home repair, took my old Corvette to Jay and back, enjoyed my family and a great restaurant, took my three dogs for a walk, and played a lot of jazz on my new keyboard. Never gave a thought about sick, fundamentalist bastards like you. But I'm back on the job today, asshole.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Obamasucks wrote:Yes Virginia, extreme belief in God is a Mental Illness . . .  11692725_980174695359906_7085667701548037664_n

If Jimmy makes his atheism known, he's a condescending, arrogant jerk. But the religious freaks can pound away for Jesus or whatever, and they're okay.

Fuck religion. Yours too.

No, it's how you denigrate anything religious. That's the difference.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Obamasucks wrote:No, it's how you denigrate anything religious. That's the difference.

[b]Maybe you're right about that. But after age 12 when I realized my Christian religion was bullshit, I spent more than fifty years keeping my skepticism private and quiet.

I was wrong. If religions were harmless, there would be no reason to condemn and attack them. But they're not -- they're the most discordant and destructive elements of modern human society. In simple, humanist terms, religions -- all of them -- are EVIL. You bet your ass I'll keep on denigrating them, the same as I denigrate racists, warmongers and bad cops. People keeping their true thoughts to themselves instead of stridently opposing evils, made it possible for Hitler and the German Nazi freaks to roll out the holocaust.

Fuck religion. Yours too. [ /b]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I like this response to your article:

(from Hajai Romi)

This article contains so many fallacies it is hard to know where to begin, but it is best to say that to encapsulate several thousand years of human experience and a variety of behaviors and teachings under the rubric of "religion," then use those very same cherry-picked examples of the evils of ALL the religious teachings AND practices of the past several millennia to throw out the entire mess is the height of prejudice.

Separation of church and state was not instituted, as this article falsely claims, by the Founding Fathers because they knew of how "dangerous" all religion is, but because they had seen in Europe the sectarian wars between followers of different faiths. One may logically claim that such wars arose out of the fanaticism that religion engenders, but one could also argue that men will find reasons to torture and kill each other in the absence of religion. And indeed they do.

While the hypocrisy of the "Religious Right" is utterly contemptible, it is not religion itself (as if all religions were the same) that is the problem, but the lack of it. Or rather, it is the abuse of religion, and the fanaticism or the hypocrisy of people who claim to act because of it. After all, the Jesus Christ that the Despicable Right pretends to revere abhorred hypocrites and famously threw the money-grubbing money-changers out of the Temple.

In fact, this article is little more than an extremely bigoted screed against, among other things, one belief system in particular, a religion that has endured for over fourteen hundred years and today guides 1.3 billion human beings, the vast majority of which do not murder or even torture, and which, despite the inflammatory rhetoric of the West, do not uniformly mistreat women. Namely, Islam. It may be acceptable to Salon to promote bigoted comments about Islam, but it is nothing new. It certainly is part of the strategy of one nation in particular which uses its own religion to justify land theft and war crimes, all the while blaming this other religion for "fanaticism."

It is all very well and good to complain about ISIS and the presumed propensity of religious followers to kill, but as my mother used to say, "You should be careful when you point a finger because you're pointing three back at yourself."

People who complain about Muslims killing clearly do not know anything about the bloody history of Western imperialism in the Middle East, from the First Crusades to Denshawe, from the Sepoy Mutiny to the massacres at Deir Yassin, Kfar Qassim and Sabra and Shatila.

But getting back to the American Psychological Association... If we ignore the possibility, which has been raised, that ISIS is a creation of Israel and has no more to do with Islam than fish have with bicycles, does that make the participation in a presumably professional, quasi-medical organization in torture any more right and moral? By focussing on the issue of the existence or absence of God neatly avoids one issue raised by the satire in News Nerd, and that is the participation of the American Psychological Society in torture. Does the participation of the APA in torture disqualify them in any way from passing on the mental state of religious believers, or anybody else?

I submit that it does.

There are PLENTY of religious people who have acted in ways that defy the imagination of those who have sunk to participation in torture.

Martin Luther King, for instance. The Dalai Lama. Father Damien on Molokai. Countless monks, nuns and lay people who quietly and without any publicity do works of charity and compassion every day in every corner of the globe.

Meanwhile, we have the fakers, the pretend healers. People who claim to understand the human psyche, and then use their supposed insights for evil purposes. They really are the lowest form of intelligent life.

Perhaps the author of this article would like for religion not to exist, because religious folk would consign people who torture to one of the lower circles of a Dantean Hell.

And deservedly so.

As far as I am concerned, a person's religion means very little in predicting whether or not he or she will do something supremely compassionate, kind or humane.

Perhaps psychologists consider someone who risks his or her life for another human being to have some kind of insanity. After all, it does seem stupid or crazy for a stranger to dive in front of a speeding vehicle in order to push another person to safety, but I am inclined to think it bespeaks a something more than intelligence or sanity to do so. A kind of connection to a Super Intelligence or a Super Morality.

Some atheists I'm sure make that dive, because there are atheists who are motivated by humane concerns for their fellow human beings. I wonder, though, if the same self-righteous people who congratulate themselves on being intellectually superior to religious believers would grant the same possibility of sanity and intelligence to those believers as I just have to atheists.

"Turn the other cheek," and "Do unto others as you would have them do to you," are not the teachings of the insane.

In fact, they are the prescriptions for a society built on trust and human compassion, and those who criticize the followers of such teachings are almost as blind as those hypocrites who twist those teachings for political gain.

And I would argue they are not only the height of sane responses to insane situations, but they even CHANGE those insane situations.

And so, I would do unto Salon as I would have them do to us, the believers, and give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they are trying to inject reason into the craziness of the Radical Right.

They just haven't achieved complete reason yet, though. There still ARE believers who practice religions of peace and tolerance.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Floridatexan wrote:
I like this response to your article:

(from Hajai Romi)

This article contains so many fallacies it is hard to know where to begin, but it is best to say that to encapsulate several thousand years of human experience and a variety of behaviors and teachings under the rubric of "religion," then use those very same cherry-picked examples of the evils of ALL the religious teachings AND practices of the past several millennia to throw out the entire mess is the height of prejudice.

Separation of church and state was not instituted, as this article falsely claims, by the Founding Fathers because they knew of how "dangerous" all religion is, but because they had seen in Europe the sectarian wars between followers of different faiths.   One may logically claim that such wars arose out of the fanaticism that religion engenders, but one could also argue that men will find reasons to torture and kill each other in the absence of religion.  And indeed they do.

While the hypocrisy of the "Religious Right" is utterly contemptible, it is not religion itself (as if all religions were the same) that is the problem, but the lack of it.  Or rather, it is the abuse of religion, and the fanaticism or the hypocrisy of people who claim to act because of it.  After all, the Jesus Christ that the Despicable Right pretends to revere abhorred hypocrites and famously threw the money-grubbing money-changers out of the Temple.

In fact, this article is little more than an extremely bigoted screed against, among other things, one belief system in particular, a religion that has endured for over fourteen hundred years and today guides 1.3 billion human beings, the vast majority of which do not murder or even torture, and which, despite the inflammatory rhetoric of the West, do not uniformly mistreat women.  Namely, Islam.  It may be acceptable to Salon to promote bigoted comments about Islam, but it is nothing new. It certainly is part of the strategy of one nation in particular which uses its own religion to justify land theft and war crimes, all the while blaming this other religion for "fanaticism."

It is all very well and good to complain about ISIS and the presumed propensity of religious followers to kill, but as my mother used to say, "You should be careful when you point a finger because you're pointing three back at yourself."

People who complain about Muslims killing clearly do not know anything about the bloody history of Western imperialism in the Middle East, from the First Crusades to Denshawe, from the Sepoy Mutiny to the massacres at Deir Yassin, Kfar Qassim and Sabra and Shatila.

But getting back to the American Psychological Association... If we ignore the possibility, which has been raised, that ISIS is a creation of Israel and has no more to do with Islam than fish have with bicycles, does that make the participation in a presumably professional, quasi-medical organization in torture any more right and moral? By focussing on the issue of the existence or absence of God neatly avoids one issue raised by the satire in News Nerd, and that is the participation of the American Psychological Society in torture. Does the participation of the APA in torture disqualify them in any way from passing on the mental state of religious believers, or anybody else?

I submit that it does.

There are PLENTY of religious people who have acted in ways that defy the imagination of those who have sunk to participation in torture.

Martin Luther King, for instance.  The Dalai Lama. Father Damien on Molokai. Countless monks, nuns and lay people who quietly and without any publicity do works of charity and compassion every day in every corner of the globe.

Meanwhile, we have the fakers, the pretend healers.  People who claim to understand the human psyche, and then use their supposed insights for evil purposes. They really are the lowest form of intelligent life.

Perhaps the author of this article would like for religion not to exist, because religious folk would consign people who torture to one of the lower circles of a Dantean Hell.

And deservedly so.

As far as I am concerned, a person's religion means very little in predicting whether or not he or she will do something supremely compassionate, kind or humane.  

Perhaps psychologists consider someone who risks his or her life for another human being to have some kind of insanity.  After all, it does seem stupid or crazy for a stranger to dive in front of a speeding vehicle in order to push another person to safety, but I am inclined to think it bespeaks a something more than intelligence or sanity to do so.  A kind of connection to a Super Intelligence or a Super Morality.

Some atheists I'm sure make that dive, because there are atheists who are motivated by humane concerns for their fellow human beings.  I wonder, though, if the same self-righteous people who congratulate themselves on being intellectually superior to religious believers would grant the same possibility of sanity and intelligence to those believers as I just have to atheists.

"Turn the other cheek," and "Do unto others as you would have them do to you," are not the teachings of the insane.  

In fact, they are the prescriptions for a society built on trust and human compassion, and those who criticize the followers of such teachings are almost as blind as those hypocrites who twist those teachings for political gain.

And I would argue they are not only the height of sane responses to insane situations, but they even CHANGE those insane situations.

And so, I would do unto Salon as I would have them do to us, the believers, and give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they are trying to inject reason into the craziness of the Radical Right.

They just haven't achieved complete reason yet, though.  There still ARE believers who practice religions of peace and tolerance.

Lots of very good points in the above piece -- but no matter how you state it, religion divides we humans much more than it brings us together. Dylan Roof regards himself a good Christian -- ISIS regards itself as a cohesive group of good and true Muslims. Both are enthusiastic killers of people they think are different.

And you know DylanRoof was a Christian? How? Roof was mentally ill at best.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Obamasucks wrote:And you know DylanRoof was a Christian? How? Roof was mentally ill at best.

He attended a Christian church, and chose the same setting to murder the black victims of his racial hatred. In fact, news reports claim Roof prayed with the victims for an hour before gunning them down. As for your comment that Roof was mentally ill, most Christian racists suffer from the SAME illness!

You need to change your forum i.d. again -- try this one: "I can't help being stupid."

Markle

Markle

Wordslinger wrote:
Markle wrote:It is sad that we have someone among us who is so filled with hate and vitriol for something of which he knows nothing.  Faith in a higher being.  I feel sorry for him being so filled with pain and sorrow with no way out.

Yeah, life is tough.   Had my 79th birthday yesterday, helped a neighbor with some home repair, took my old Corvette to Jay and back, enjoyed my family and a great restaurant, took my three dogs for a walk, and played a lot of jazz on my new keyboard.  Never gave a thought about sick, fundamentalist bastards like you.  But I'm back on the job today, asshole.

Yes Virginia, extreme belief in God is a Mental Illness . . .  Hamlet_quote_t_shirt-p2359314148773-1

Only the mentally ill could actually believe that our universe came into existence aspart of some miraculous "big bang" out of nowhere

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Obamasucks wrote:Only the mentally ill could actually believe that our universe came into existence aspart of some miraculous "big bang" out of nowhere

Right. It's much more rational to believe that some alien, omnipotent, vane and petty asshole who lives "out there" Spent a week creating the entire universe -- all the stars and galaxies -- evidently for the hell of it, and did it all so he could lord it over humans who were made in his likeness, nose and all, jump out whenever he felt like it and punish this person or that, or wipe out entire cities, and who created a long list of rules which if you break them and don't accept the alleged son of the alien, and ask His forgiveness, and really act contrite, and be willing to kiss his ass or feet, He will cast you into hell where you will suffer awful burning forever and ever. But he really loves you.

Nothing mentally ill in all that, right? How loony can one get?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Obamasucks wrote:Only the mentally ill could actually believe that our universe came into existence aspart of some miraculous "big bang" out of nowhere

The real question is,  how did existence become in existence.  
The answer is,  nobody has a clue.  Not religion,  not philosophy,  not science,  not anything.

Oh and by the way, if the answer is "God", then how did God become in existence? If you can answer that one, I'll convert to the religion of your choice.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

But I don't think religion is a mental illness.  
Just as I don't think "Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder" just because Michael Savage made that his book title.  Especially since Michael Savage is truly mentally ill.

As we already established,  religion is a coping mechanism,  not a mental illness.  I know these things,  I have a BS in Psychology from Draft Dodger U.
I chose that major because I thought it might help me learn about my own mental illness and it was cheaper than a shrink (back then,  in-state tuition at Pejuco was about $40 a semester when a shrink was more than that per hour).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum