Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mental illness care or the lack thereof is the issue in the country

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://now.msn.com/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother-says-mom-of-mentally-ill-son

Here is an excerpt from a story with a mother who has a son on the same path as Adam Lanza in many ways. There seems to be a lack of care facilities for the mentally ill and the only way our society is dealing with this issue is to have them locked up. That's all good, but now we have a mentally ill population rate in prisons that is 5x as large as the non-incarcerated citizens.

Mom knew kid was burning himself. At my house, this behavior would earn you a Baker Act. What was she waiting for?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/afraid-she-was-losing-him-slain-mother-of-ct-shooter-reportedly-said-son-was-getting-worse-last-week/

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Well, by all fucking means let's make sure guns are available for this mentally ill kid to express himself. I have no pity for his mother.

Markle

Markle

Joanimaroni wrote:Well, by all fucking means let's make sure guns are available for this mentally ill kid to express himself. I have no pity for his mother.

I agree.

From what I have read, she was an asset to the community, well off financially and did not work. She home schooled the boy and had no connection, whatsoever with the school he attacked. She contributed time and money to her charities in the town.

She had told friends that the boy had Asperger Syndrome but it is not known if that had anything to do with the tragedy.

Target shooting was an avid hobby of hers having grown up on a farm around a lot of guns.

So she seemed intelligent and well balanced, I can't imagine knowing what she did that she would keep the guns in the house and accessable to the young man. She told friends that he would burn himself with a lighter. Supposedly he felt no physical or emotional pain.

He had tried to buy a rifle himself the week before. I don't believe that if those guns were not available, he wouldn't have stolen what he wanted elsewhere.

More gun control is not the answer. I believe that MADD discovered the problem decades ago and has a better answer. How it could be implemented, I don't know.

2seaoat

I believe that MADD discovered the problem decades ago and has a better answer.

You had me mostly in agreement until you made this ridiculous statement. Our war on Drunk drivers has seen the rate reduced.....so that is a good thing, but at what huge societal cost as the criminal justice system has grown almost 500%. Gun safety and vehicle safety have a two pronged test.....can the measures bring down deaths....and what is the societal cost. Madd created the illusion that they were solving drunk drivers...yet statistically repeat offenders are probably within the ballpark of the %s at the start of the war in the early 80s....we need effective cost efficient methods to improve safety....and arresting someone after they have killed is not in my opinion either a deterrent or an answer. We need to be proactive.

In regards to blaming the mother.....well it is a convenient scapegoat....and one I might add is deserving, but if we buy into that logic....then we can never protect our children. Our system must be designed to anticipate mental illness.....negligence, and cold hearted intentional killings.....we need to have gun safety measures which make it incredibly more difficult than shooting your mom, jumping into a car with a bunch of guns and pulling up to a school and killing folks......there are technologies which can and must reduce those incidents of mental illness, negligence, and intentional acts....we can achieve lower gun stats....this is doable.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote: I believe that MADD discovered the problem decades ago and has a better answer.

You had me mostly in agreement until you made this ridiculous statement. Our war on Drunk drivers has seen the rate reduced.....so that is a good thing, but at what huge societal cost as the criminal justice system has grown almost 500%. Gun safety and vehicle safety have a two pronged test.....can the measures bring down deaths....and what is the societal cost. Madd created the illusion that they were solving drunk drivers...yet statistically repeat offenders are probably within the ballpark of the %s at the start of the war in the early 80s....we need effective cost efficient methods to improve safety....and arresting someone after they have killed is not in my opinion either a deterrent or an answer. We need to be proactive.

In regards to blaming the mother.....well it is a convenient scapegoat....and one I might add is deserving, but if we buy into that logic....then we can never protect our children. Our system must be designed to anticipate mental illness.....negligence, and cold hearted intentional killings.....we need to have gun safety measures which make it incredibly more difficult than shooting your mom, jumping into a car with a bunch of guns and pulling up to a school and killing folks......there are technologies which can and must reduce those incidents of mental illness, negligence, and intentional acts....we can achieve lower gun stats....this is doable.

Anticipating mental illness? The parents are the first line. Parents need to be parents and help their children. I can't imagine a parent would not pick up on the fact their child is withdrawn and socially inept. Mrs. Lanza, according to reports confided in a friend that her son was getting worse and she was worried. She also told her friend that her son had started burning himself with a lighter a year ago. A YEAR AGO!

If Nancy Lanza had been a good concerned parent she would have helped her son AND LOCKED UP HER ARSENAL...It makes me so goddamn mad that these kind of signs and symptoms are ignored. Look back at all the high-profile mass shootings...the mental state of the offenders was known and ignored.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/nancy-lanza-feared-she-was-losing-her-son-said-he-was-getting-worse-burning-himself-with-a-lighter/

This kid had more than Aspergers. I dare say more will come out he was schizophrenic.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote: I believe that MADD discovered the problem decades ago and has a better answer.

I see I touched a nerve. A DUI arrest or two in your past.

I agree, they get overzealous at times and some of their tactics are...shall we say complex. To increase their records of accidents caused by alcohol, they include anyone who may have test .01 where the legal limit is .08. They get around it by saying the accident was alcohol related.

At the same time they proved that the incidents of drunk driving accidents can be greatly reduced without taking away the car from people.

We need to work toward removing the stigma of calling out someone suspected of serious mental illness and that they usually talk about what they are going to do beforehand.

We are not having more or fewer mass shootings than we have in modern history, they just flash around in seconds and we watch live as it happens.

Does anyone think "D Day" would have been successful had there been thousands of cameras recording 6,000 GI's getting killed in one day scaling those cliffs and crossing those beaches?

Last edited by Markle on 12/17/2012, 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Joanimaroni wrote:Well, by all fucking means let's make sure guns are available for this mentally ill kid to express himself. I have no pity for his mother.

PARENTING...or lack thereof...Same for the animals in the Columbine shootings...they weren't hiding the clues...Sure got a goth...self-injuring...isolated kid...TAKE HIM TO A SHOOTING RANGE! How can this even be imagined by someone?...Instead of wanting to look at the real problems here it's easier to call for congressional investigations and use this to call for violating the rights of law abiding citizens...Remember when this country had to place officers in High Schools...and some thought it was a waste?...Then it filtered to Middle Schools...and now certainly there will be communities that will want it extended to Elementary Schools...So many are quick to blame gun owners...well is it Hollywoods fault for violence in films?...Video game violence?...Music that exploits violence?...When the blaming starts there seems to be enough to go around...

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

newswatcher wrote:

PARENTING...or lack thereof...Same for the animals in the Columbine shootings...they weren't hiding the clues...Sure got a goth...self-injuring...isolated kid...TAKE HIM TO A SHOOTING RANGE! How can this even be imagined by someone?...Instead of wanting to look at the real problems here it's easier to call for congressional investigations and use this to call for violating the rights of law abiding citizens...Remember when this country had to place officers in High Schools...and some thought it was a waste?...Then it filtered to Middle Schools...and now certainly there will be communities that will want it extended to Elementary Schools...So many are quick to blame gun owners...well is it Hollywoods fault for violence in films?...Video game violence?...Music that exploits violence?...When the blaming starts there seems to be enough to go around...

cheers

It is now being reported that Nancy Lanza was battling mental issues of her own.

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:It is now being reported that Nancy Lanza was battling mental issues of her own.

There is simply nothing that makes any logical sense about this entire situation...

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

PACEDOG#1 wrote:http://now.msn.com/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother-says-mom-of-mentally-ill-son

Here is an excerpt from a story with a mother who has a son on the same path as Adam Lanza in many ways. There seems to be a lack of care facilities for the mentally ill and the only way our society is dealing with this issue is to have them locked up. That's all good, but now we have a mentally ill population rate in prisons that is 5x as large as the non-incarcerated citizens.

Thanks for sharing this. I posted it on my facebook page as have 32.5K others!

Teachers are among those who are in an excellent position to recognize students with this extreme condition. They are among those who are required by law to report evidence of child abuse. When I taught in another state I reported suspicious marks on a child to the principal. She agreed and called the appropriate authorities. A conference was held that very day with the father. The child was not sent home until they had counseled with him and were satisfied that he would be safe. The father received parenting help and the child was fine from there on out.

This is a far less serious condition of course the point being that the system works.

We need some sort of fail-safe method like this to identify these kids. This is not a subtle condition for crying out loud. As PD's article points out, this mother was not effectively supported by the current system.

surfnrg

surfnrg

newswatcher wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:It is now being reported that Nancy Lanza was battling mental issues of her own.

There is simply nothing that makes any logical sense about this entire situation...

If my best friend had not been batting a neurological and undiagnosed condition in one of her children I would also agree this is not logical. But after the last months of reading looking for answers etc I have come to understand that yes this is completely logical.

surfnrg

surfnrg

What I have come to understand is that many neurological disorders have chemical and empirical causes and therefore treatments resulting in either cures or alleviation of symptoms.

300 years ago an epileptic would have been burned at the stake for being demon possessed. Today we understand that epilepsy is a disease which is treatable. Indeed, there are no demons, and the person who has epilepsy is not evil.

More and more mental conditions have been demonstrated to have their basis in a dysfunction whose root causes are indeed treatable, and that there is a difference between the "disease" and the "person". These PEOPLE are not 'evil" or "demon possess". This distinction has long been recognized in our legal system.

However today science is understanding more and more that the onset of many forms of mental illness is acute and rapid leading to new theories about causation. As of this writing we now understand many of these patients have an abnormal swelling of the ganglia and other common abnormalities in the brain and transference. Furthermore it is interesting to note these abnormalities exist across a wide spectrum of disease i.e.: schizophrenia, P.a.n.d.a.s., tourettes, ocd, add, ahd, and others. And now, even in most Alzheimer's patients. As we move closer to finding
cures or at least treatments for the individuals, we cross the boundary into what "choice" means and hence "responsibility".

Here is a brilliant lecture on this by a Professor at Stanford. Indeed it is long but well worth the watch. It is a series of lectures. AFter watching the first indeed on might be fascinated enough to watch the rest.

Brilliant indeed:

http://robertsapolskyrocks.weebly.com/individual-differences.html

so in the wake of this latest tragedy it is time to get serious about these kids and adults and effect diagnosis and treatment before another shooting occurs.

16Mental illness care or the lack thereof is the issue in the country Empty the continuum 12/17/2012, 1:13 pm

surfnrg

surfnrg

So if you watch the doctor you have now the psychological and biological underpinnings that we are all on the same continuum.

and isn't that interesting?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum