Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Im going through something and I need to share and talk about it please

+3
SheSurfs
TEOTWAWKI
Nekochan
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

my son who just got out of the military was sick the other day and he got a x ray, they found a marble sized calcification in his lung. he told me lots of people are coming back with lung cancer becuase of what they called the burning pits over in iraq.

im scared to death, im making him go to the docter,.

and soon, his military ins runs out.

any advice of how to make sure the military continues his ins to cover this?

ande pray please.

Thanks

Nekochan

Nekochan

My first thought is that I would try to get him an appointment at a VA clinic. Do you have one nearby where you live? The people there should be able to help him with whatever paperwork/insurance is involved.
I hope he's OK.

Nekochan wrote:My first thought is that I would try to get him an appointment at a VA clinic. Do you have one nearby where you live? The people there should be able to help him with whatever paperwork/insurance is involved.
I hope he's OK.

I dont think we have one down here. I have made him a regular doc apt though. this is a good idea, I find find the closet one and take him there.

thank you

Nekochan

Nekochan

Check this list of places:
http://www2.va.gov/directory/guide/state.asp?State=FL

Nekochan

Nekochan

http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/apply/

Nekochan wrote:
Check this list of places:
http://www2.va.gov/directory/guide/state.asp?State=FL

Thank you Neko. That means so much to me. I can take him to the one in Tampa, thats not too far.

Thank you so much I love you

Nekochan

Nekochan

Check out the other link I posted. If he has service related health problems he absolutely is eligible for VA health care. Good luck.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

All the best to your son....sorry to hear of his condition.

Nekochan wrote:Check out the other link I posted. If he has service related health problems he absolutely is eligible for VA health care. Good luck.

Neko, that information you gave me is exactly what I needed thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. May you be blessed.

and thank you dear sweet teo...hugs

SheSurfs

SheSurfs

Most lung calcifications are BENIGN.

That said, make sure he gets a proper diagnosis ASAP so the military can come back and say it was exposure to something after he left the military. Insist on regular follow ups to determine any changes.

As he goes into civilian life and should it be necessary for him to make a claim down the road, it will be very important that he minimize his exposure to cigarettes, asbestos, mold and other airborne particulates should he need to point to his work overseas as the smoking gun. If he, you or anyone in the family smokes, now is the time to stop.

Finally, make sure he is keeping a list of symptoms, their severity and the dates. Document, document, document as this could result in issues down the road....but we sure hope not.

Rogue wrote:my son who just got out of the military was sick the other day and he got a x ray, they found a marble sized calcification in his lung. he told me lots of people are coming back with lung cancer becuase of what they called the burning pits over in iraq.

im scared to death, im making him go to the docter,.

and soon, his military ins runs out.

any advice of how to make sure the military continues his ins to cover this?

ande pray please.

Thanks

1) go tot he VA
2) Locate his orders and travel vouchers that show he was in Iraq

I was at Balad Air Base (Camp Anaconda) in 2003. The burn pits were really close to where we were. I guess I am lucky, but I can remember at night when the wind would change and blow smoke right back over our camp.

Good ideas all. I will do them hes only 21....

I worry becuase I know that calcifications can turn into tumors, they do in breast many times.

he just told ne he has a area that is numb in his upper torso.

im very worried, just pray for him,

I am taking him to a out pt vA clinic they have in ft myers tomorow, and I alsready told him to fill out the form for extende services tomorrow, he will,

again, thanks for all your helps

I knew I could count on yall

thank you thank thank you from the bottom of my heart

now carry on and have some fun Smile

Was/is he a smoker?

the documentation was very good advice... ask for copies of every result including xrays... start your own file. hopefully it's no big deal... keep us posted.

No fun, but we can pray. SheSurfs has said what was on my mind. Document paperwork on , document, document. Try to get documentation from each visit you make to every doctor or clinic.

I wish you and your son the best...

Lurch wrote:Was/is he a smoker?

off and on

but hes 21, this is abnormal the doc that notice it said that its unusual, also a lot of them r coming back with this problem..parently the burn pit has something to do with it..

Nekochan

Nekochan

Good ideas from everyone to document and keep a file. And do not give up. Dealing with the government can be a royal pain, so keep on top of things. Be very, extremely persistent.

PkrBum wrote:the documentation was very good advice... ask for copies of every result including xrays... start your own file. hopefully it's no big deal... keep us posted.

will do

every body. again thank you for your kind words and prayers, and all the other help.

Be blessed Very Happy

im off to bed, yall have fun

luvs ya

Granny4Peace

Granny4Peace

Chrissy, I'm praying for good news for you and your son. Please keep us up-to-date on his health.

VA has changed for the better over the years. At one time I would had use them only as a last resort. Not any more. I have been going to the out patient clinic here in Pensacola. I have really received top notch service. Thursday i am going to Biloxi to have laser eye surgery performed. You can bet the bank that if I thought there was any chance they were not first class I would not be using them. Good luck to you and your son. He is fortunate to have a good Mother like you...I am with the others in thinking that VA will provide the services your son may need.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

If he is only 21, can you put him back on your insurance, if necessary? At least temporarily until his VA coverage can be assured? I thought children can be covered until age 26 under their parents medical insurance now (you know, the dreaded "Obamacare").

My sister faced a similar situation with her son. He was discharged from the Navy before his first enlistment was up because he had developed testicular cancer and was considered non-deployable after his cancer went into remission. About a year later, his cancer reappeared on a lung, and my Sis was frantic. He was 25, and without health insurance, and until the VA came through for him (which they did), she considered putting him back on their family plan at least for the interim.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I have nothing but good things to say about the VA. Here in Pensacola they served a lot of people out of their Outpatient Clinic up on Kenmore Road. Now, the new JACC at Corry Station is absolutely awesome. It is newer and in many ways likely better than the old hospital over in Biloxi.

The VA is very slow and bureaucratic for a lot of things, but if you can be patient and can wait, they will bend over backwards to help a veteran.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Rogue wrote:Good ideas all. I will do them hes only 21....

I worry becuase I know that calcifications can turn into tumors, they do in breast many times.

he just told ne he has a area that is numb in his upper torso.

im very worried, just pray for him,

I am taking him to a out pt vA clinic they have in ft myers tomorow, and I alsready told him to fill out the form for extende services tomorrow, he will,

again, thanks for all your helps

I knew I could count on yall

thank you thank thank you from the bottom of my heart

now carry on and have some fun Smile

Keep documentation on everything and have him join the American Legion and/or the Veterans Of Foreign Wars so they'll get involved if he needs more help muddling through the bull crap that the VA throws at him.

Best of luck.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQzUCO7rG0M

Smile

Slicef18

Slicef18

Has your son had a chest xray in the past? If so get a copy and keep it for documentation that this was not a per-existing condition. Unless the xray was taken at a small facility, the copy they give you will probably be on a computer disk.
I will tell you that most lung calcification's are benign but it does deserve attention.

Slicef18 wrote:Has your son had a chest xray in the past? If so get a copy and keep it for documentation that this was not a per-existing condition. Unless the xray was taken at a small facility, the copy they give you will probably be on a computer disk.
I will tell you that most lung calcification's are benign but it does deserve attention.

well I imagine they looked at him when he went in. he was never a sickly person so i dont remember the last time he needed a chest xray. he was probaly a child. Im thinkin..

ive gotten some very good advice from people here. Im glad I brought it up. I was hesitant to do so but the advice I have gotten will save me so much time and greif which will help him.he may be a returning soldier, but he is very much a little boy right now, very needy.

. I now have a very clear plan and things like VFW will also be good for him. He needed that anyway and it would have taken me forever to think of that, if ever.

so I really appreaciate all the help from all of yall.

From the links and ideas that all of yall have given i have found everything he needs to get the services he needs for healthcare and even services for education, jobs etc....

Yall done good Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum