Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Senate Foreign Relations Committee votes to ensure Congressional engagement in any agreement with Iran

+2
2seaoat
Markle
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Markle

Markle

Senate Foreign Relations Committee voted to ensure Congressional engagement in any agreement with Iran.

30 day initial review period

President must submit final agreement to Congress

President muse certify to Congress every 90 days Iran's compliance.

Congressional mandate that sanctions cannot be lifted without Congressional approval.

2seaoat

Corker is doing a good job. However, the President can still use his power of veto:

"Under the compromise, the congressional review period would be shortened. There would be a 30-day initial congressional review period. Twelve more days would be added if Congress passed a bill and sent it to the president. There would be additional 10 days during which the president could veto it — something he has already threatened to do.

Sal

Sal

Very nicely played by the President.

Corker got rolled.

The only concession was that Congress could vote on something later, ergo - no concession at all.

The debate has been removed from the table, and the next time it comes up the world will be celebrating a world changing deal.

2seaoat

I disagree. Corker did not get rolled. He got a unanimous vote which rewards those who act like grown up as opposed to rookie Senators who have cotton in their ears, and do not know a thing about the art of politics and actually getting something done. Corker is exactly the type of Republican we need in leadership. I do not agree with many of his positions, but I respect the man because as a mayor he understands that people come first, and compromise is an art. Sure the President can veto anything, but he better be careful because the unanimous vote sent a message that Democrats can work with reasonable Republicans and this is good for the country.

KarlRove

KarlRove

by 2seaoat Yesterday at 11:22 pm
Corker is doing a good job. However, the President can still use his power of veto:

"Under the compromise, the congressional review period would be shortened. There would be a 30-day initial congressional review period. Twelve more days would be added if Congress passed a bill and sent it to the president. There would be additional 10 days during which the president could veto it — something he has already threatened to do.----
----
If he vetoes what the majority of Americans want he only ruins the tiny bit of legacy he has,....
If any

KarlRove

KarlRove

Obama can't unilaterally make treaties.

Markle

Markle

As 2seaoat said, it was a unanimous decision meaning they can override semi-retired President Obama's veto.

For whatever reason, President Obama is making the entire world a much more dangerous place.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

KarlRove wrote:by 2seaoat Yesterday at 11:22 pm

"Under the compromise, the congressional review period would be shortened. There would be a 30-day initial congressional review period. Twelve more days would be added if Congress passed a bill and sent it to the president. There would be additional 10 days during which the president could veto it — something he has already threatened to do.----
----
If he vetoes what the majority of Americans want he only ruins the tiny bit of legacy he has,....
If any
What planet are you from?  You think most Americans want to go to war against Iran?

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Wordslinger wrote:What planet are you from? 

He hails from Planet Youranus.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

Corker wanted to slap Cotton when he pulled his stunt. Showboating for future political capital is part of what is wrong about America. I cannot say enough good things about Corker, and again I do not agree with all his positions. What I agree with is he puts his ego on the back burner, rolls up his shirt sleeves, and gets it done. Also, I do not want future Presidents becoming Kings. We have checks and balances. As much as I admire the Presidents Foreign Policy, I do want the senate foreign relations committee debating the issues and having hearings. I do not want idiots like Cotton committing treason because they have no experience and have no clue interfering with the executive branch discretion in negotiations. However, I am a firm believer of senate hearings and debate on the agreement which is substantive and extensive. I do not want to see a traitor and his cohorts prejudging the executive branch and sending letters to our enemies. There is wide gap in competency.

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:I disagree.  Corker did not get rolled.

Nope.

Rolled.

All Corker got was a face saving measure that doesn't even do what he claims it does.

Obama conceded nothing, but is happy to allow the Repukes to declare victory, clap each other on the backs, and wave around their nothing burger.

Viva Obama.

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:
2seaoat wrote:I disagree.  Corker did not get rolled.

Nope.

Rolled.

All Corker got was a face saving measure that doesn't even do what he claims it does.

Obama conceded nothing, but is happy to allow the Repukes to declare victory, clap each other on the backs, and wave around their nothing burger.

Viva Obama.

ALL the Democrats on the Committee also voted in favor of the bill.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum