Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Got this Email .."encouraging" me to get "my"flu shot...a-holes.

+3
2seaoat
PBulldog2
TEOTWAWKI
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Gunz wrote:
Yomama wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:You didn't read the article. You have to get the vaccine that is the strain of flu for it to be effective and people do get the flu from the vaccine. The vaccine does not protect 70-90% of people.That is just false but if it makes you feel better than go ahead and live on false info.

Dreams, apparently you do not know what you are talking about when it comes to catching the flu from a shot.

The shot, which is predominantly used for vaccinations, contains NO LIVE VIRUS. According to the CDC (a reliable source) at http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm, The viruses in the flu shot are killed (inactivated), so you cannot get the flu from a flu shot. [/b

You may be confused between the shot and the nasal spray, which contains live, but weakened viruses. People have experienced mild flu symptoms with this type of vaccination.

The nasal spray-more expensive and given to children and young adults, (also called LAIV or FluMist®): The viruses in the nasal-spray vaccine are weakened and do not cause severe symptoms often associated with influenza illness. (In clinical studies, transmission of vaccine viruses to close contacts has occurred only rarely.)

According to the FDA (a trusted source) http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/QuestionsaboutVaccines/ucm080754.htm, In clinical trials, FluMist was evaluated in 20,228 individuals, including over 10,000 children 5-17 years old. FluMist was effective in [b]preventing influenza in approximately 87 percent
of children in the trial.

The CDC at http://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/vaccination/effectivenessqa.htm,
How well do inactivated influenza vaccines work in randomized control trials?

As noted above, effectiveness varies with vaccine match and the age and immune function of the recipient. In general, the greatest benefits of influenza vaccines have been reported in randomized controlled trials (RCTs) conducted among healthy adults. For example, recent RCTs of inactivated influenza vaccine among adults under 65 years of age have estimated 50-70% vaccine efficacy during seasons in which the vaccines' influenza A components were well matched to circulating influenza A viruses (Beran et al., 2009, 2006-2007 season; Jackson et al., 2010, 2005-2006 season; Monto et al., 2009, 2007-2008 season). As vaccine efficacy from a randomized clinical trial is the gold standard for how well a vaccine actually works, vaccine effectiveness estimates obtained from observational studies can equal, but not exceed, estimates of efficacy. Many factors that can result in substantial bias in effectiveness studies tend to bias the vaccine effect downwards.
-----------------------------------
In Summary, you cannot get the flu from a flu shot. The efficacy of shots can offer protection of 50-70% for a well-matched guess on the flu strains to come. The nasal spray provides up to 87% prevention.

Thanks Eric. Thats why I posted my first statement to this thrad.

All this vaccine BS sounds just like the old fire and brimstone preachers that promised wealth and good crops and when they failed they said "WE HAVE SINNERS AMONG US !.....

TEOTWAWKI wrote:

All this vaccine BS sounds just like the old fire and brimstone preachers that promised wealth and good crops and when they failed they said "WE HAVE SINNERS AMONG US !.....

Oh, don't let real facts and figures get in the way of your fear of modern medicine.

I presented actual data. In response, all you say is to call it "BS".

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yomama wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Oh, don't let real facts and figures get in the way of your fear of modern medicine.

I presented actual data. In response, all you say is to call it "BS".

Let me know when BIG PHARMA gives you some real facts ..LOL. bounce

I trust the CDC and their team of experts more than you.

LOL

Yomama wrote:I trust the CDC and their team of experts more than you.

LOL

Then you might be interested in this. I am at work now so have to make this quick. Read carefully. I would never want to discourage someone from taking a vacine as I wouldnt want the responsiblity of them getting sick on my hands, which could be just a coincidence. Either way, people should get ALL the facts and then decide for themsleves. When you read this article I want you t think about whats different between a small childs immun system compared to a aging adult.

November 28, 2011 — The annual flu vaccine can weaken children's resistance to other types of influenza virus, including those that could cause a pandemic, according to a study published in the November issue of the Journal of Virology.

"Annual vaccination against influenza is effective but may have potential drawbacks that have previously been underappreciated and that are also a matter of debate," write lead author Rogier Bodewes, DVM, from Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, and coauthors.

They don't suggest that annual childhood vaccinations should be halted, but they call for research into better vaccines that eliminate this adverse effect.

To study the effects of seasonal immunization, the researchers collected blood samples from 27 healthy unvaccinated children (median age, 6.0 years; range, 2.0 to 8.Cool and 14 children with cystic fibrosis who had received annual influenza vaccinations (median age, 6.2 years; range, 3.1 to 9.0). In the Netherlands, only special populations of children, such as those with cystic fibrosis, are routinely vaccinated against influenza.

Of the unvaccinated children, 24 of 27 (89%) had antibodies against at least 1 A/H3N2 virus, and 20 (74%) had antibodies against at least 1 A/H1N1 virus. All vaccinated children had antibodies against at least 1 influenza virus, including A/H1N1(2009). However, unvaccinated children had significantly higher geometric mean titers for several viruses, including the influenza A/Panama/07/99 (H3N2) and A/Solomon Islands/3/2006 (H1N1) viruses (P = .04 and P = .01, respectively).

They found that the percentage of virus-specific ICD8+ T cells — that is, T cells with a memory for influenza viruses — ranged from 0.00% to 2.32% in unvaccinated children and from 0.06% to 1.56% in vaccinated children.

They noted an age-dependent increase in the virus-specific CD8+ T cell response in the unvaccinated children (P = .040), but not in the vaccinated children (P = .714).

Finally, in children older than 5 years, the investigators found a significantly higher percentage (P = .038) of CD8+ T cells in the unvaccinated group (mean, 0.86%; standard deviation [SD], 0.67%) than in the vaccinated group (mean, 0.37%; SD, 0.45%).

The study results are consistent with the team's previous mouse experiments. In those studies, Dr. Bodewes and colleagues found that vaccination against the seasonal influenza A virus prevented the development of influenza A virus-specific CD8+ T cell immunity, which would otherwise be induced by infection.

During the 2009 pandemic, Canadian children who had been vaccinated against the seasonal flu were more likely to be infected with A/H1N1 than those who had not been vaccinated. (These results were not confirmed by studies in other countries.)

It is a small study, so the results have to be taken with a grain of salt, Christopher Harrison, MD, director of the Infectious Disease Research Laboratory at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics in Kansas City, Missouri, who was not involved with the study, told Medscape Medical News. But, he said, it lends weight to the argument that children should be immunized with the live virus instead of the killed virus.

"We have known for a long time that most vaccines given in the muscle don't produce the ideal response," said Dr. Harrison.

Killing the virus changes key proteins, which immune cells must recognize to prepare for another influenza infection, he explained. In addition to probably providing better protection against unexpected flu viruses, immunization with the live virus is 10% to 15% more effective than immunization with the killed virus against the seasonal flu, he added.

But Walter Orenstein, MD, a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Infectious Diseases, said there isn't enough evidence yet to make changes in the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines for vaccinations, which explicitly state no preference for live or killed vaccines.

This study only shows a difference in biomarkers for immunity, not in immunity itself, Dr. Orenstein emphasized. "We have to look at the actual disease," he said. "Do people who get repeated vaccination have as much disease as people who don't? That's the ultimate question."

The study was supported in part by TI Pharma. The study authors and Dr. Orenstein have disclosed no relevant financial relationships. Dr. Harrison reports receiving research support from GlaxoSmithKline.

Journal of Virology. 2011;85:11995-12000. Abstract

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yomama wrote:I trust the CDC and their team of experts more than you.

LOL

I don't want your trust...why would I want such a thing. Trust requires fidelity.

Besides population control may be needed in some cases... Twisted Evil

[quote="Rogue"]
Dreamsglore wrote:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/09/26/flu-vaccine-exposed.aspx

Unfortunately Chrissy, Dr Joseph Mercola is a big time quack. Getting rich off gullible folks such as yourself.

Oh and I also have never had a flu shot in my entire life and have never had the flu, however I agree with Eric on this, I would put more faith in the statistics of the CDC before I would someone's opinion on a forum or some quacks get rich quick hyperbole.

2seaoat

My great grandfather was a 40 year old healthy butcher in Opelika Al with a family of 5 kids under the age of 15. He had never been sick or missed work in his entire life when in 1918 he was stricken with the flu and five days later he was dead. I am just old enough to have seen kids who were three to five years older than me stricken with polio. I saw the braces and crutches. I remember taking the polio vaccine around third grade and I remember in about one generation the disease was all but eliminated. I saw a beautiful girl across the street from me who was three years older struggle to the school bus every day with her braces and crutches, and if we took this attitude that in pursuit of perfect we will abandon good.....well I would be seeing my children and my grandchildren with peers shackled to braces and crutches......I could give horrible examples of where the polio immunization process had some failures, it was not perfect, but if you weigh the tremendous good of the same......you understand the good of the flu vaccination program far outweighs the concerns of those who want perfect and are willing to see many suffer because there remains very small percentages of failures. It is a no brainer for me, but if you are healthy and have raised your family.....well, you have no responsibility to others and it is nobody's business what your health choices are, but if you have responsibility for children........the decision if bigger than your fears.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Anyone that trusts the government, politicians, snake oil salesmen, televangelists, Pharmaceutical companies, allopathic medicine for curing disease or my exwife gets what they deserve.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Anyone that trusts the government, politicians, snake oil salesmen, televangelists, Pharmaceutical companies, allopathic medicine for curing disease or my exwife gets what they deserve.

And those that have this uncompromising fear of these things also get what they deserve. Just keep your viruses to yourself.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:Anyone that trusts the government, politicians, snake oil salesmen, televangelists, Pharmaceutical companies, allopathic medicine for curing disease or my exwife gets what they deserve.

And those that have this uncompromising fear of these things also get what they deserve. Just keep your viruses to yourself.

I think it's funny how the little lambs running to their government Shepard accuse me of having fear. Dude I am a wolf. I ain't scared of anything. I am prepared to defend myself to the death from all forms of tyranny, and dying is just practically nothing to me...

[quote="Ghost_Rider1"]
Rogue wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/09/26/flu-vaccine-exposed.aspx

Unfortunately Chrissy, Dr Joseph Mercola is a big time quack. Getting rich off gullible folks such as yourself.

Oh and I also have never had a flu shot in my entire life and have never had the flu, however I agree with Eric on this, I would put more faith in the statistics of the CDC before I would someone's opinion on a forum or some quacks get rich quick hyperbole.

The second info, link I gave was not from mercola, it was from Medscape a publication that I am a memberof for work, it comes to my office mail. It was written and published in the Journal of Virology.

and I think your a bit hypocritical to say youve never had a flu shot and youve never had the flu and then recomend someone else have a flu shot? oh come on..................

ask anyone who has had the flu, most have had the flu shot.

and the CDC is part of the GOV, they publish what the GOv tells them to. and they will be the fear mongerers for the gov btw... and if you really follow the CDC, better get your zombie apolocalyps bug out bag ready.

[quote="Rogue"]
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
Rogue wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

The second info, link I gave was not from mercola, it was from Medscape a publication that I am a memberof for work, it comes to my office mail. It was written and published in the Journal of Virology.

and I think your a bit hypocritical to say youve never had a flu shot and youve never had the flu and then recomend someone else have a flu shot? oh come on..................

and the CDC is part of the GOV, they publish what the GOv tells them to. and they will be the fear mongerers for the gov btw... and if you really follow the CDC, better get your zombie apolocalyps bug out bag ready.

Nope not being hypocritical, that is saying to each his own. I could care less who or who doesn't get the flu shot, but to use scare tactics in order to further your cause against the flu shot in just wrong. But of course it is your opinion to which you all are entitled to. When I get older and if I get frail, I will probably get the flu shot as I have nothing against it, but currently I am still a very healthy individual.

As far as the link, regardless of where it came from, it has Mercola's name on it, which means he is in all likelihood the author of the article.

[quote="Ghost_Rider1"]
Rogue wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
Rogue wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

Nope not being hypocritical, that is saying to each his own. I could care less who or who doesn't get the flu shot, but to use scare tactics in order to further your cause against the flu shot in just wrong. But of course it is your opinion to which you all are entitled to. When I get older and if I get frail, I will probably get the flu shot as I have nothing against it, but currently I am still a very healthy individual.

As far as the link, regardless of where it came from, it has Mercola's name on it, which means he is in all likelihood the author of the article.

You dont pay attention sir. I said my second post. and I as well as you would not encourage one way or the other as I have said. I do think people should know all the information though. Im going topost the information again. and I suggest anyone who has conrnerns about the vaccine ask your doctor if he took it and see if you get a sincere answer. My doctor flat out told me he didint. matter of a fact I can saftly say that about 90% of the doctors I ask, say they dont take it. That in itself should be a eye opener. or maybe not.

Here's the actual article I was refering to ghost. and like I said before, whats the differnce between elderly and small hcilds immune system?
-----------------------------------------------------------

November 28, 2011 — The annual flu vaccine can weaken children's resistance to other types of influenza virus, including those that could cause a pandemic, according to a study published in the November issue of the Journal of Virology.

"Annual vaccination against influenza is effective but may have potential drawbacks that have previously been underappreciated and that are also a matter of debate," write lead author Rogier Bodewes, DVM, from Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, and coauthors.

They don't suggest that annual childhood vaccinations should be halted, but they call for research into better vaccines that eliminate this adverse effect.

To study the effects of seasonal immunization, the researchers collected blood samples from 27 healthy unvaccinated children (median age, 6.0 years; range, 2.0 to 8. and 14 children with cystic fibrosis who had received annual influenza vaccinations (median age, 6.2 years; range, 3.1 to 9.0). In the Netherlands, only special populations of children, such as those with cystic fibrosis, are routinely vaccinated against influenza.

Of the unvaccinated children, 24 of 27 (89%) had antibodies against at least 1 A/H3N2 virus, and 20 (74%) had antibodies against at least 1 A/H1N1 virus. All vaccinated children had antibodies against at least 1 influenza virus, including A/H1N1(2009). However, unvaccinated children had significantly higher geometric mean titers for several viruses, including the influenza A/Panama/07/99 (H3N2) and A/Solomon Islands/3/2006 (H1N1) viruses (P = .04 and P = .01, respectively).

They found that the percentage of virus-specific ICD8+ T cells — that is, T cells with a memory for influenza viruses — ranged from 0.00% to 2.32% in unvaccinated children and from 0.06% to 1.56% in vaccinated children.

They noted an age-dependent increase in the virus-specific CD8+ T cell response in the unvaccinated children (P = .040), but not in the vaccinated children (P = .714).

Finally, in children older than 5 years, the investigators found a significantly higher percentage (P = .038) of CD8+ T cells in the unvaccinated group (mean, 0.86%; standard deviation [SD], 0.67%) than in the vaccinated group (mean, 0.37%; SD, 0.45%).

The study results are consistent with the team's previous mouse experiments. In those studies, Dr. Bodewes and colleagues found that vaccination against the seasonal influenza A virus prevented the development of influenza A virus-specific CD8+ T cell immunity, which would otherwise be induced by infection.

During the 2009 pandemic, Canadian children who had been vaccinated against the seasonal flu were more likely to be infected with A/H1N1 than those who had not been vaccinated. (These results were not confirmed by studies in other countries.)

It is a small study, so the results have to be taken with a grain of salt, Christopher Harrison, MD, director of the Infectious Disease Research Laboratory at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics in Kansas City, Missouri, who was not involved with the study, told Medscape Medical News. But, he said, it lends weight to the argument that children should be immunized with the live virus instead of the killed virus.<<<<WTH?????

"We have known for a long time that most vaccines given in the muscle don't produce the ideal response," said Dr. Harrison.

Killing the virus changes key proteins, which immune cells must recognize to prepare for another influenza infection, he explained. In addition to probably providing better protection against unexpected flu viruses, immunization with the live virus is 10% to 15% more effective than immunization with the killed virus against the seasonal flu, he added.

But Walter Orenstein, MD, a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Infectious Diseases, said there isn't enough evidence yet to make changes in the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines for vaccinations, which explicitly state no preference for live or killed vaccines.

This study only shows a difference in biomarkers for immunity, not in immunity itself, Dr. Orenstein emphasized. "We have to look at the actual disease," he said. "Do people who get repeated vaccination have as much disease as people who don't? That's the ultimate question."

The study was supported in part by TI Pharma. The study authors and Dr. Orenstein have disclosed no relevant financial relationships. Dr. Harrison reports receiving research support from GlaxoSmithKline.

Rogue wrote:
You dont pay attention sir. I said my second post. and I as well as you would not encourage one way or the other as I have said. I do think people should know all the information though. Im going topost the information again. and I suggest anyone who has conrnerns about the vaccine ask your doctor if he took it and see if you get a sincere answer. My doctor flat out told me he didint. matter of a fact I can saftly say that about 90% of the doctors I ask, say they dont take it. That in itself should be a eye opener. or maybe not.

Here's the actual article I was refering to ghost. and like I said before, whats the differnce between elderly and small hcilds immune system?

To study the effects of seasonal immunization, the researchers collected blood samples from 27 healthy unvaccinated children (median age, 6.0 years; range, 2.0 to 8. and 14 children with cystic fibrosis who had received annual influenza vaccinations (median age, 6.2 years; range, 3.1 to 9.0). In the Netherlands, only special populations of children, such as those with cystic fibrosis, are routinely vaccinated against influenza.

It is a small study, so the results have to be taken with a grain of salt, Christopher Harrison, MD, director of the Infectious Disease Research Laboratory at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics in Kansas City, Missouri, who was not involved with the study, told Medscape Medical News. But, he said, it lends weight to the argument that children should be immunized with the live virus instead of the killed virus.<<<<WTH?????

I get all kinds of stuff by e-mail and a lot of it is a hoax where supposedly reputable people are quoted. Do you have a link to the story?

I have taken statistics and a study of 27 individuals is way too small a sample group to draw any reliable conclusions. You need thousands of participants for a study to be reliable.

Yomama wrote:
Rogue wrote:

I get all kinds of stuff by e-mail and a lot of it is a hoax where supposedly reputable people are quoted. Do you have a link to the story?

I have taken statistics and a study of 27 individuals is way too small a sample group to draw any reliable conclusions. You need thousands of participants for a study to be reliable.

yomamma, this is from Medscape. You may have ot be a member to read it as I am. These come into my work email. Ill post the link, maybe it will work. if not you should be able to look up the Journal of virology, issue date at the end of the article.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/769724?src=mp

Here;s more on it as this is recent. its long and I dont have time to read it all now.
---------

From CDC Expert Commentary
Child Deaths From Influenza
An Expert Interview With CDC's Georgina Peacock, MD
Laurie Scudder, DNP, PNP; Georgina Peacock, MD, MPH

Authors and Disclosures

Posted: 08/29/2012

Other Health Care Provider Rating: ( 0 Votes ) Rate This Article:

Print This Email this
Facebook Twitter
processing....

Editor's Note:
The 2009 influenza A (H1N1) pandemic disproportionately affected children, resulting in a 5-fold increase in deaths compared with more typical flu seasons. A study just published in the journal Pediatrics provides the first detailed description of the children most affected.[1] The study focused on children with neurologic and neurodevelopmental disorders and found that this population has a disproportionately higher risk of dying from flu-related causes than other children. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is partnering with the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), Families Fighting Flu, and Family Voices to reach out to caregivers -- both clinicians and parents -- of children with neurologic and neurodevelopmental disorders to protect them against flu. Medscape spoke with Georgina Peacock, MD, MPH, one of the authors of this study, about the study findings, the implications for clinicians, and CDC's efforts to increase vaccination rates and the use of antiviral medications in children with neurologic and neurodevelopmental disorders.

Medscape: Dr. Peacock, could you briefly describe the methodology for your recent study?

Dr. Peacock: The CDC has been collecting information on influenza-associated pediatric deaths since 2004. This study gathered information from state and local health departments that submitted data about 2009 H1N1 influenza-related pediatric deaths to CDC. The CDC analyzed patient demographics, date and location of death, and length of hospital stay, as well as laboratory tests, including bacterial culture, and other information from these pediatric death reporting forms.

Medscape: What were the key findings regarding pediatric deaths in children with neurologic disorders? Why are these children more likely to have complications from influenza than other children?

Dr. Peacock: Children with neurologic disorders are at higher risk of dying from flu-related causes than other children. More specifically, we looked at 343 pediatric deaths that were associated with 2009 H1N1 influenza for which we had medical information. Of these, 336 children had an underlying medical condition. And when we looked in more detail, in about two thirds of those children, that underlying medical condition was a neurologic disorder. The most common of the underlying conditions were neurodevelopmental disorders like cerebral palsy, moderate to severe developmental delay (intellectual disability), and hydrocephalus. The second most common underlying condition was epilepsy.

There are different theories about why these children have more complications from influenza. Many of these children have associated medical conditions. When we looked at the children with underlying conditions, about 70% of them had more than 1 high-risk condition. That is telling us that these are children who have complicated medical histories.

There are some studies that speculate that the children with neurologic conditions may have impaired lung function, or they may have more difficultly coughing, and coughing is one way we prevent pneumonia. Some of the children have scoliosis, which again may make it harder to cough and clear your airway. Some of those children also had a reported pulmonary condition on their death reporting form, but not all of them. It leads us to speculate that maybe there is an impairment in their ability to cough or clear their airway. But is that also impairing their ability to fight off the influenza infection?

Less frequently, we saw children with secondary risk factors that included congenital heart disease, chromosomal abnormalities, and metabolic disorders, like mitochondrial disorders.

Medscape: Although the vaccine used prior to the 2009 flu season did not cover H1N1, there were immediate efforts to both develop and distribute an appropriate vaccine. Can you describe the impact of vaccination on morbidity and mortality in your study?

Dr. Peacock: This group of children had a fairly low influenza vaccination rate. When we looked at the death reporting forms, we noted that about 23% of the children had received the seasonal flu vaccine and about 3% had received the H1N1 vaccine. Part of the issue was that a number of these deaths occurred before there was even an H1N1 vaccine available. A limitation in our ability to draw conclusions from the data is that we are reviewing a pediatric death report form, not going back and looking at medical records. It is possible that there was a higher rate of influenza vaccination, but these are the rates we were able to calculate.

Although this study looked at pediatric deaths during the H1N1 pandemic, we know that children with neurologic conditions are also at greater risk for complications and deaths from flu during regular influenza seasons. Influenza vaccination is important and we need to increase this vaccination rate, particularly among children who are at high risk for influenza. I think we have a lot of work to do. Part of what we are doing this fall at the CDC is partnering with the AAP, Families Fighting Flu, and Family Voices to really push and encourage vaccination among this group of children, both by talking with healthcare providers about the importance of vaccination of this high-risk group, as well as talking to parents about the importance of making sure they are protecting their children from influenza, because their children are at high risk.

Medscape: CDC and AAP both recommend that children over the age of 6 months receive an annual influenza vaccine. As you have noted, vaccine uptake is suboptimal. That is also the case for antiviral use. How will CDC's partnership with AAP and flu advocacy groups help address these issues?

Dr. Peacock: With the AAP, our plans are to do some communications with members -- particularly with subspecialists who care for children with neurologic conditions -- through letters that are signed both by the AAP and the CDC to encourage them to talk to the parents of their patients about vaccinations. The issue is that most of these subspecialists are not going to give vaccinations. However, they are important health messengers for this information. If the neurologist or developmentalist is talking to the family about vaccinations, we think that will encourage parents to talk with their pediatric primary care provider about getting vaccinated and put that higher on the list.

We also are doing some continuing education webinars for healthcare providers.

On the parent's side, we've been working with Family Voices to conduct focus groups looking at what parents already know about flu and vaccinations. What we have found is that we have a lot of work to do to educate parents about what influenza is and to emphasize that influenza is different from having a cold. It is really important for parents to understand when we are in flu season that, if their child is exhibiting signs of an influenza-like illness, they need to seek care from their pediatric provider and begin antiviral drug treatment if indicated. We also must continually reinforce the importance of a prevention strategy that includes their child getting vaccinated.

Medscape: Could you speak a bit more about the antiviral component of this campaign? Although you have noted the importance of reaching neurologists and developmentalists to enlist them to encourage families to be vaccinated, will they be part of the campaign's effort to optimize antiviral use? Or is that effort focused on primary care providers?

Dr. Peacock: I think it's important that we are including those medical home providers, those primary care providers, in the discussion about encouraging antiviral use. The subspecialists can back that up and, when they are talking to parents, encourage them to talk to their child's primary care provider if the child is having flu-like symptoms. It is important to get antiviral treatment early. But clearly the pediatricians, the family practitioners, those people on the frontline in the medical home are the ones who are going to be pushing that early antiviral treatment, which is really important in these kids. I think that we have a long way to go in regard to antiviral treatment.

The other important message that came out during the pandemic is that rapid influenza testing does not always identify everybody that has influenza. A negative rapid flu test does not mean the child should not start antiviral treatment if the clinician thinks that they have influenza. That is another message that the CDC has been trying hard to get out to the practitioners.

Medscape: What are the most important take-home messages for clinicians as well as the parents of these high-risk children?

Dr. Peacock: First, children need to be vaccinated every year against influenza. Then, if the child is having flu-like symptoms, they should talk to their primary care clinician and get on antiviral treatment as soon as possible if it is recommended.

Medscape: Can you speak briefly about the current swine flu increase?

Dr. Peacock: We are currently monitoring this new strain of influenza called H3N2v, and the prevention messages around this outbreak are really important. Children with high-risk conditions, like neurologic disorders, need to wash their hands, not eat food in areas where animals are kept, and should avoid exposure to pigs and swine barns. Many of the children who have been infected with H3N2v have spent time in these settings.

It is important to get vaccinated against the seasonal flu. However, the current flu vaccine won't protect against the H3N2v strain, so that's why those preventive methods are really important, and obviously any child who has a neurologic disorder who has been around pigs and is exhibiting signs of flu needs to talk to their pediatric provider as soon as possible. The recommendation right now is that if you have a high-risk condition and are having flu-like symptoms and have had contact with a pig, to be evaluated by your provider and begin antiviral treatment if indicated.

References

More on This Topic
■Influenza News & Perspectives
■Immunization News & Perspectives

© 2012
Public Information from the CDC and Medscape

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

I think it's funny how the little lambs running to their government Shepard accuse me of having fear. Dude I am a wolf. I ain't scared of anything. I am prepared to defend myself to the death from all forms of tyranny, and dying is just practically nothing to me...

So me believing in scientific data makes me a sheep huh? As I said I'll take the scientific data over someone's opinion any day of the week and if that makes me a sheep, then so be it. I like you are also not scared to die, but I do not and will not buy into all that hyperbole that is spread around by fear mongers.

Whatever happens is going to happen and nothing that you, I or anyone else does is going to stop it.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Yomama wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:Not the middle east.Bagdad,Fl -a few miles from me in Santa Rosa County. Flu shots don't guarantee you won't get the flu-50/50 chance.

It doesn't increase the chances of you experiencing a side effect... Even if it happened to your next door neighbor. Where that person was located is irrelevant.

I assume that the person in Bagdad had Guillian-Bere Syndrome... A neurological ailment that causes varying degrees of paralysis and for many people, GBS is temporary.

Let's look at the numbers. Would you want a one in a million chance of getting GBS from the vaccine, or would you want a chance of one in a hundred thousand of dying from the flu? Simply put, you are ten times more likely to die of the flu than getting GBS. Life is a numbers game and I play the odds.

Oh, and the vaccine is 70-90% effective (shot) and the nasal vaccine is 90% effective... not 50% effective... But you're right - the flu vaccine has no guarantee that you won't get the flu.

Edit: There WAS one year, 1967 I believe, where the flu vaccine was dangerous. If all flu vaccines had as high a percentage of side effects as the 1967 vaccine, I wouldn't take it either.

You're relying on misinformation.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthingswork/a/aa011604a.htm

Thanks Dreams........, the vaccine isn't for everyone and certainly shouldn't be required for otherwise healthy people.

I think it was the '76 pig swine flu injection, Z. I took it, and by the next day I had a fever of 104. with the headache, etc.

In 2003, I allowed a co-worker to talk me into getting a pneumonia shot. Within three days I had the worst respiratory symptoms I've had before or since. I'm sure I had pneumonia, but I can't abide hosptitals, so I stayed in bed,

I believe cetain bodies react differently to the medications. I know mine does.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

And those that have this uncompromising fear of these things also get what ey deserve. Just keep your viruses to yourself.

Hell, I had no fear of vaccinations untiL after I had onel

I am now.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

[quote="Rogue"][quote="Ghost_Rider1"]
Rogue wrote:xzxzxzxz
Dreamsglore wrote:

Mercola spanned by conputewr=== a flu shot? oh come on..................

crf. Mercala sppasmm======

Rogue wrote:
yomamma, this is from Medscape. You may have ot be a member to read it as I am. These come into my work email. Ill post the link, maybe it will work. if not you should be able to look up the Journal of virology, issue date at the end of the article.

Here;s more on it as this is recent. its long and I dont have time to read it all now.
---------

Authors and Disclosures

Print This Email this
Facebook Twitter
processing....

Editor's Note:
The 2009 influenza A (H1N1) pandemic disproportionately affected children, resulting in a 5-fold increase in deaths compared with more typical flu seasons. A study just published in the journal Pediatrics provides the first detailed description of the children most affected.[1] The study focused on children with neurologic and neurodevelopmental disorders and found that this population has a disproportionately higher risk of dying from flu-related causes than other children. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is partnering with the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), Families Fighting Flu, and Family Voices to reach out to caregivers -- both clinicians and parents -- of children with neurologic and neurodevelopmental disorders to protect them against flu. Medscape spoke with Georgina Peacock, MD, MPH, one of the authors of this study, about the study findings, the implications for clinicians, and CDC's efforts to increase vaccination rates and the use of antiviral medications in children with neurologic and neurodevelopmental disorders.

Medscape: Dr. Peacock, could you briefly describe the methodology for your recent study?

Dr. Peacock: The CDC has been collecting information on influenza-associated pediatric deaths since 2004. This study gathered information from state and local health departments that submitted data about 2009 H1N1 influenza-related pediatric deaths to CDC. The CDC analyzed patient demographics, date and location of death, and length of hospital stay, as well as laboratory tests, including bacterial culture, and other information from these pediatric death reporting forms.

Medscape: What were the key findings regarding pediatric deaths in children with neurologic disorders? Why are these children more likely to have complications from influenza than other children?

Dr. Peacock: Children with neurologic disorders are at higher risk of dying from flu-related causes than other children. More specifically, we looked at 343 pediatric deaths that were associated with 2009 H1N1 influenza for which we had medical information. Of these, 336 children had an underlying medical condition. And when we looked in more detail, in about two thirds of those children, that underlying medical condition was a neurologic disorder. The most common of the underlying conditions were neurodevelopmental disorders like cerebral palsy, moderate to severe developmental delay (intellectual disability), and hydrocephalus. The second most common underlying condition was epilepsy.

There are different theories about why these children have more complications from influenza. Many of these children have associated medical conditions. When we looked at the children with underlying conditions, about 70% of them had more than 1 high-risk condition. That is telling us that these are children who have complicated medical histories.

There are some studies that speculate that the children with neurologic conditions may have impaired lung function, or they may have more difficultly coughing, and coughing is one way we prevent pneumonia. Some of the children have scoliosis, which again may make it harder to cough and clear your airway. Some of those children also had a reported pulmonary condition on their death reporting form, but not all of them. It leads us to speculate that maybe there is an impairment in their ability to cough or clear their airway. But is that also impairing their ability to fight off the influenza infection?

Less frequently, we saw children with secondary risk factors that included congenital heart disease, chromosomal abnormalities, and metabolic disorders, like mitochondrial disorders.

Medscape: Although the vaccine used prior to the 2009 flu season did not cover H1N1, there were immediate efforts to both develop and distribute an appropriate vaccine. Can you describe the impact of vaccination on morbidity and mortality in your study?

Dr. Peacock: This group of children had a fairly low influenza vaccination rate. When we looked at the death reporting forms, we noted that about 23% of the children had received the seasonal flu vaccine and about 3% had received the H1N1 vaccine. Part of the issue was that a number of these deaths occurred before there was even an H1N1 vaccine available. A limitation in our ability to draw conclusions from the data is that we are reviewing a pediatric death report form, not going back and looking at medical records. It is possible that there was a higher rate of influenza vaccination, but these are the rates we were able to calculate.

Although this study looked at pediatric deaths during the H1N1 pandemic, we know that children with neurologic conditions are also at greater risk for complications and deaths from flu during regular influenza seasons. Influenza vaccination is important and we need to increase this vaccination rate, particularly among children who are at high risk for influenza. I think we have a lot of work to do. Part of what we are doing this fall at the CDC is partnering with the AAP, Families Fighting Flu, and Family Voices to really push and encourage vaccination among this group of children, both by talking with healthcare providers about the importance of vaccination of this high-risk group, as well as talking to parents about the importance of making sure they are protecting their children from influenza, because their children are at high risk.

Medscape: CDC and AAP both recommend that children over the age of 6 months receive an annual influenza vaccine. As you have noted, vaccine uptake is suboptimal. That is also the case for antiviral use. How will CDC's partnership with AAP and flu advocacy groups help address these issues?

Dr. Peacock: With the AAP, our plans are to do some communications with members -- particularly with subspecialists who care for children with neurologic conditions -- through letters that are signed both by the AAP and the CDC to encourage them to talk to the parents of their patients about vaccinations. The issue is that most of these subspecialists are not going to give vaccinations. However, they are important health messengers for this information. If the neurologist or developmentalist is talking to the family about vaccinations, we think that will encourage parents to talk with their pediatric primary care provider about getting vaccinated and put that higher on the list.

On the parent's side, we've been working with Family Voices to conduct focus groups looking at what parents already know about flu and vaccinations. What we have found is that we have a lot of work to do to educate parents about what influenza is and to emphasize that influenza is different from having a cold. It is really important for parents to understand when we are in flu season that, if their child is exhibiting signs of an influenza-like illness, they need to seek care from their pediatric provider and begin antiviral drug treatment if indicated. We also must continually reinforce the importance of a prevention strategy that includes their child getting vaccinated.

Medscape: Could you speak a bit more about the antiviral component of this campaign? Although you have noted the importance of reaching neurologists and developmentalists to enlist them to encourage families to be vaccinated, will they be part of the campaign's effort to optimize antiviral use? Or is that effort focused on primary care providers?

Dr. Peacock: I think it's important that we are including those medical home providers, those primary care providers, in the discussion about encouraging antiviral use. The subspecialists can back that up and, when they are talking to parents, encourage them to talk to their child's primary care provider if the child is having flu-like symptoms. It is important to get antiviral treatment early. But clearly the pediatricians, the family practitioners, those people on the frontline in the medical home are the ones who are going to be pushing that early antiviral treatment, which is really important in these kids. I think that we have a long way to go in regard to antiviral treatment.

The other important message that came out during the pandemic is that rapid influenza testing does not always identify everybody that has influenza. A negative rapid flu test does not mean the child should not start antiviral treatment if the clinician thinks that they have influenza. That is another message that the CDC has been trying hard to get out to the practitioners.

Medscape: What are the most important take-home messages for clinicians as well as the parents of these high-risk children?

Dr. Peacock: First, children need to be vaccinated every year against influenza. Then, if the child is having flu-like symptoms, they should talk to their primary care clinician and get on antiviral treatment as soon as possible if it is recommended.

Dr. Peacock: We are currently monitoring this new strain of influenza called H3N2v, and the prevention messages around this outbreak are really important. Children with high-risk conditions, like neurologic disorders, need to wash their hands, not eat food in areas where animals are kept, and should avoid exposure to pigs and swine barns. Many of the children who have been infected with H3N2v have spent time in these settings.

It is important to get vaccinated against the seasonal flu. However, the current flu vaccine won't protect against the H3N2v strain, so that's why those preventive methods are really important, and obviously any child who has a neurologic disorder who has been around pigs and is exhibiting signs of flu needs to talk to their pediatric provider as soon as possible. The recommendation right now is that if you have a high-risk condition and are having flu-like symptoms and have had contact with a pig, to be evaluated by your provider and begin antiviral treatment if indicated.

References

More on This Topic

© 2012

From the article:

"...On the parent's side, we've been working with Family Voices to conduct focus groups looking at what parents already know about flu and vaccinations. What we have found is that we have a lot of work to do to educate parents about what influenza is and to emphasize that influenza is different from having a cold. It is really important for parents to understand when we are in flu season that, if their child is exhibiting signs of an influenza-like illness, they need to seek care from their pediatric provider and begin antiviral drug treatment if indicated. We also must continually reinforce the importance of a prevention strategy that includes their child getting vaccinated."

----------------------------------

"Medscape: What are the most important take-home messages for clinicians as well as the parents of these high-risk children?

Dr. Peacock: First, children need to be vaccinated every year against influenza. Then, if the child is having flu-like symptoms, they should talk to their primary care clinician and get on antiviral treatment as soon as possible if it is recommended."

---------------------------------

"It is important to get vaccinated against the seasonal flu."

These statements do not appear to be from someone who is saying flu shots are worthless.

As far as the earlier study was mentioned, the number of patients in the study was incredibly low and the doctor admitted that it is "a small study and must be taken with a grain of salt". In other words, you cannot rely on the results to be accurate.

PBulldog2 wrote:
I think it was the '76 pig swine flu injection, Z. I took it, and by the next day I had a fever of 104. with the headache, etc.

In 2003, I allowed a co-worker to talk me into getting a pneumonia shot. Within three days I had the worst respiratory symptoms I've had before or since. I'm sure I had pneumonia, but I can't abide hosptitals, so I stayed in bed,

I believe cetain bodies react differently to the medications. I know mine does.

PB, if I was in your shoes (had a reaction to the shot) I wouldn't take it either. Fever is one of the side effects listed and usually it will last 1-2 days.
(They admit that there were a lot of side effects to the 1976 vaccine... their worst year for side effects. An unusually high number of people developed Guillian-Bere Syndrome after the 1976 vaccinations. I mentioned 1967 in an earlier post, but it was 1976.)

Yomama wrote:
Rogue wrote:

---------

Authors and Disclosures

Print This Email this
Facebook Twitter
processing....

Editor's Note:

References

More on This Topic

© 2012

From the article:

"...On the parent's side, we've been working with Family Voices to conduct focus groups looking at what parents already know about flu and vaccinations. What we have found is that we have a lot of work to do to educate parents about what influenza is and to emphasize that influenza is different from having a cold. It is really important for parents to understand when we are in flu season that, if their child is exhibiting signs of an influenza-like illness, they need to seek care from their pediatric provider and begin antiviral drug treatment if indicated. We also must continually reinforce the importance of a prevention strategy that includes their child getting vaccinated."

----------------------------------

"Medscape: What are the most important take-home messages for clinicians as well as the parents of these high-risk children?

Dr. Peacock: First, children need to be vaccinated every year against influenza. Then, if the child is having flu-like symptoms, they should talk to their primary care clinician and get on antiviral treatment as soon as possible if it is recommended."

"It is important to get vaccinated against the seasonal flu."

These statements do not appear to be from someone who is saying flu shots are worthless.

As far as the earlier study was mentioned, the number of patients in the study was incredibly low and the doctor admitted that it is "a small study and must be taken with a grain of salt". In other words, you cannot rely on the results to be accurate.

of course thats what the CDC says. but if you go back to the first article I put on here from medscape you would see they clearly said that having the vaccine increases childrens chances of getting the flu. Medscape doctors are questioning the data because many doctors know that these vaccines are not working but making things worse. Like the 2009 epidemic.

its a lot of data and you have to be able to see the questions coming from them in between the cdc response. These are a group of professionals and they are not going to come out and say to the cdc, we think your full of shit. Thats what they would like to say, but things just dont work that way. Because if they did, the gov would run them right out of town as a bunch of nuts.

oh and the doctor that said that you couldnt rely on these results was not involved in the study, hes bias. Im telling you now, doctors do question this. Most anyway. but this gets very political for them to try to come out and tell them to go to hell like I said. because they already know the truth.

when flu shots came around when i worked there only 2 out of our 8 pathologist would take them. only one out of 8 down here would take it.

I wont tell you not to take it, as you say you take it already. Ive given you actual data the best I can. were you able to sign onto medscape?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

911 was an inside Job...

TEOTWAWKI wrote:911 was an inside Job...
[img]Got this Email .."encouraging" me to get "my"flu shot...a-holes. - Page 2 Little12[/img]

bush didnt orgastrate it if it was.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum