Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What a 20 Hours

+13
ZxxxZ
dumpcare
cool1
Markle
Joanimaroni
knothead
KarlRove
Vikingwoman
Floridatexan
ZVUGKTUBM
2seaoat
boards of FL
Sal
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1What a 20 Hours Empty What a 20 Hours 3/6/2015, 4:47 pm

Sal

Sal

Went to the ball field last night to watch my son play as the only freshman on the varsity squad.

Things were going well - he was playing a solid third and had a hit, two stolen bases, scored, and we were up 2-1.

Second time at bat, he worked a 3 and 1 count against a pitcher who must've been 6'4 - 225 lbs.

The fourth pitch was a heater right at my son's head.

He tried to spin away, but it caught him square in the cheek and nose.

I was standing at the fence, and from the sound of it, I thought for sure it had hit his helmet.

Nope.

I happened to be taking pictures of my son's stance with every pitch, and that catcher certainly was calling for high and inside.

He didn't even crotch down.

I guess I'll have to give him the benefit of the doubt and think he was just trying to brush the batter back and the ball got away from him.

Anyway, my son hit the deck, and when he got to his hands and knees, blood was gushing.

By the time I got through the gate to him, the coaches had him on his back and were applying pressure.

The head coach later told me that as he was lying there he had asked him, "Coach, am I still pretty?".

The EMTs finally got there after twenty minutes and loaded him up and carted him to the hospital.

The ER was a nightmarish scene.

They could not get the bleeding from the nose to stop.

They tried different types of plugs to staunch the flow, but they kept failing and the room was awash with nose blood.

I finally gathered up all the bloody gauze and tissue and towels and dumped them myself.

Apparently, nurses are above that kind of work these days.

They finally used an inflatable type of plug, and it appeared the bleeding had stopped, so they sent him for a CAT scan.

But, the bleeding hadn't stopped - it was just flowing down his throat into his stomach.

So, he began vomiting blood repeatedly.

We got to the ER around 8pm.

They got the bleeding sufficiently slowed and got us into a private room at 3am.

The CAT scan revealed a severely broken nose and a long sinus fracture.

At 8am, he was taken to surgery, where a plastic surgeon team reconstructed his nose, and packed and splinted it.

I guess it took about two hours.

Now, we're back in the room in limbo because the plastic surgeons who treated him this morning say he's ready to be discharged, but the EMTs who saw him last night have not signed off on that.

At this point, I think he would like to just go home and curl up in a ball.

I'm right there with him.

2What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/6/2015, 5:22 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Crazyness.

3What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/6/2015, 5:23 pm

2seaoat

I am so sorry to hear your news. Please stay vigilant with follow up on any brain bleeds or complaints of headaches. I broke my nose in grade school after wrestling and taking a dive head first from a bunk bed.....never completely straight afterwards but we did not have plastic surgeons. I hope his vision and brain are all clear. I had that sick feeling twice watching my son's head explode in a basketball game where he hit the bleachers, and when he was competing for state champ in pole vault from 15' falling off the pole and into the ground.....a horrible feeling.

Now the good news. Your son loves baseball. We have all hit pitch stories....not as good as this one will be..... when he tells his grandkids.....but nonetheless he will get back in there. Get the most protective helmet, but if he suffered a concussion.........please be very careful having him return to playing and do not let the coaches make ANY decisions in regard to a concussion.......be conservative and follow the doctors orders. I am so sorry you had to see this and it happened right when he is ready to spread his wings.....he will get his chance, but health first.....baseball second.

4What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/6/2015, 6:40 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I am glad your son wasn't hurt worse, Sal, and hope he heals up fine.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

5What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/6/2015, 7:13 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Please don't blame the nurses...if you really knew what they have to deal with every day...although I have reported nurses for unprofessional behavior, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Sorry this happened, Sal, but it'll be all right. I have dealt with similar...and maybe worse. I'm sure you will take good care of him.

6What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/6/2015, 7:48 pm

Vikingwoman

Holy Shit! That's a serious injury! I hope he doesn't have sinus problems for the rest of his life. That ball could have jammed his nose up into his brain.

7What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/7/2015, 2:13 pm

KarlRove

KarlRove

Well, I'm not sure what coach puts a boy in with "men children" playing varsity baseball. There's a crap ton of testosterone difference between a freshman and a senior. My own son ended more than one or two kids fielding ability with hard hit balls back before the bats changed in 2009. I watched him knock a kid out with a line drive that hit a kid right in the forehead at Cantonment and another at NEP in travel ball where a kid tried to field a ball he hit which broke the kid's orbital socket and these were all age grouped games BEFORE he played high school.

The pitcher should not have been going inside on a 3-1 count. It sounds intentional. We don't know though where your kid was in the battery's box either. As a local ump, I see a lot of coaches putting kids nearly standing on the plate sometimes... And then jump out of the way of the inside pitch to make it look like it was a ball. I always give the pitcher that call as long as it is between the batters boxes when a batter crowds the plate.

Sorry about your kid. He might be better playing Jv or freshman ball because he will have some psychological trauma getting back into that box against kids who throw inside.

8What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/7/2015, 2:16 pm

KarlRove

KarlRove

It is rare a 9th grader can compete at the varsity level due to the speed and strength required to play at that level. The few I have seen be successful were all D-1
Prospects and pro draft picks as seniors.

9What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/7/2015, 4:06 pm

2seaoat

My daughter had 11 varsity letters and had the most points in Basketball and track as a freshman on the varsity team. She went on to play D1 volleyball and was captain of the D1 track team, and she was the 10th most talented on her university volleyball team, and never exceeded her high jump or sprint numbers from high school. I saw other kids who blossomed their junior years and played in the NFL. There is no rule of thumb but one.......support them and make sure they have fun. Eventually there will be somebody who is just a little better. Success in life is far more important than being a stud in sports, but if done properly.....it will prepare people for success in life.

Sal.....update please?

10What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/7/2015, 5:33 pm

knothead

knothead

Sal, I am so sorry about this incident . . . . . it has been traumatic for both he and yourself . . . . just know your forum friends are sincere and everyone expresses their feelings in different ways. Keep us posted on how he is doing going forward . . . . sorry dude!

11What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/7/2015, 8:46 pm

Sal

Sal

He is home, he is as comfortable as we can possibly make him, and he is as tough as nails.

He wanted to go to his team's game today, after he was discharged.

Maybe, the drugs talking.

Sorry bud, not until the packing and stints are out.

12What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/7/2015, 9:00 pm

2seaoat

Good news.....keep us in the loop.

13What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/7/2015, 11:28 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:He is home, he is as comfortable as we can possibly make him, and he is as tough as nails.

He wanted to go to his team's game today, after he was discharged.

Maybe, the drugs talking.

Sorry bud, not until the packing and stints are out.

So sorry your son was injured, Sal.. Stay tough.....he needs to be at home, limited activity, and sleep with his head elevated 45°. Very important!

Again, so sorry he was hurt.

14What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/7/2015, 11:40 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Also with the blood loss.....he needs a diet high in iron. Liver,  red meats, green leafy vegtables and nuts ( including sunflower seeds that ballplayers love) No aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs.

Don't know if thet told you but after swallowing blood, your son's stools may be black.

15What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/8/2015, 9:53 am

Sal

Sal

Thanks, Joanie.

We got all that info with the exception of no anti-inflammatory drugs.

Why is that?

He has been asking for Advil because he says the Oxycodone they prescribed gives him a headache.

16What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/8/2015, 11:08 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:Thanks, Joanie.

Why is that?

He has been asking for Advil because he says the Oxycodone they prescribed gives him a headache.

Anti-inflammatory drugs can cause bleeding and also retard bone growth. Taking an occassional advil for his headache will not hurt him. Taking the meds 4 or more times a day would be a problem.

17What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/8/2015, 11:41 am

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:
Sal wrote:Thanks, Joanie.

Why is that?

Anti-inflammatory drugs can cause bleeding and also retard bone growth. Taking an occassional advil for his headache will not hurt him. Taking the meds 4 or more times a day would be a problem.

Thanks again!

18What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/9/2015, 2:28 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Excedrin tension headache-aspirin free caplets taken with milk will help with the headache.

19What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/9/2015, 7:19 pm

Markle

Markle

My thoughts and prayers are with your son for a speedy recovery.

As a guy, and my Ol' Man had no sense of pain in himself or anyone else.

Me, I'd take him to the game and let him be with his buddies.  You KNOW he'd be welcomed like conquering hero by guys much older than himself and the coaches.  Nothing could raise his spirits or morale more.  He'd forget all about the headache.

I love Joanimaroni to death...but...she's also a MOM and you know how they are! Wink Wink Wink

Take pictures, he's going to tell stories about this until he's my age.

20What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/9/2015, 9:31 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Easy Markle....give it just a little time.

Sal, how is he doing?

21What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/10/2015, 2:01 pm

Sal

Sal

He's recovering, but it has not been easy.

Honestly, his injury has been more severe than I anticipated every step of the way.

He went to the doctor yesterday to have the packing removed, so that's a small step in the right direction.

The doctor said that he could experience headaches for up to two months and have heightened sensitivity to bright lights and loud noises.

He's on spring break right now, but she said to keep him home the following week as well to avoid any inadvertent contact.

I did take him to his team's game this morning, and he did receive a hero's welcome.

I haven't seen him smile that much since his injury, so that was good for both of us.

22What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/10/2015, 2:03 pm

2seaoat

I am glad he is smiling and pray he will get a clean bill of health in a few weeks.......lots of time to play baseball in the future......just get well.

23What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/10/2015, 3:56 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

It will take time. Taking it easy and rest is not part of their vocabulary. Unfortunately, playing on the phone, IPad or computer can cause headaches.

24What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/10/2015, 6:56 pm

Markle

Markle

Glad to hear that your son is doing well.

25What a 20 Hours Empty Re: What a 20 Hours 3/13/2015, 4:42 pm

cool1

cool1

Sorry to hear about your son Sal --hope he is a lil better now

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum