Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal Empty Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal 3/5/2015, 4:11 pm

Sal

Sal

What an honest arbitrator ....

For more than a decade, the New Jersey attorney general’s office conducted a hard-fought legal battle to hold Exxon Mobil Corporation responsible for decades of environmental contamination in northern New Jersey.

But when the news came that the state had reached a deal to settle its $8.9 billion claim for about $250 million, the driving force behind the settlement was not the attorney general’s office — it was Gov. Chris Christie’s chief counsel, Christopher S. Porrino, two people familiar with the negotiations said.

One of those people, Bradley M. Campbell, was the commissioner of New Jersey’s Department of Environmental Protection in 2004 when the lawsuits against Exxon were filed. Mr. Campbell, in an Op-Ed article appearing in The New York Times on Thursday, wrote that “even more troubling” than the decision to settle the lawsuit were “the circumstances surrounding the decision.”

He goes on to say that former colleagues of his in the state government told him that Mr. Porrino “inserted himself into the case, elbowed aside the attorney general and career employees who had developed and prosecuted the litigation, and cut the deal favorable to Exxon.”

The settlement, first reported by The Times on Friday, came two months after the attorney general’s office, in a court brief, argued vigorously for $8.9 billion in damages, saying, “The scope of the environmental damage resulting from the discharges is as obvious as it is staggering and unprecedented in New Jersey.”

The state, which litigated the case through the administrations of four governors, based its damages claim on what it said was contamination and loss of use of more than 1,500 acres of wetlands, marshes and meadows in northern New Jersey, at two refinery sites, in Bayonne and Linden (known as Bayway).

The settlement has drawn broad criticism from environmental advocates and state lawmakers.

Vincent Prieto, the New Jersey Assembly speaker, and John F. McKeon, chairman of the Assembly’s Judiciary Committee, both Democrats, said on Wednesday that they planned to hold a hearing on the deal on March 19.

“The reported settlement is appalling and disturbing,” Mr. McKeon said. “The Christie administration appears more interested in rewarding Exxon Mobil — for whatever reason — than protecting taxpayers and our environment.”

And Stephen M. Sweeney, the State Senate president, and Senator Raymond J. Lesniak, also Democrats, said on Tuesday that the Senate would seek to intervene in the lawsuit and try to block the deal from being approved.
Continue reading the main story

Much of the criticism has focused on the lack of a public rationale for why the state would choose to settle a lawsuit that it had invested so much effort and time in trying to win; environmentalists fear that Mr. Christie, a Republican, wants to use the money for other budgetary needs. Indeed, a state appropriations law, proposed by Mr. Christie last year, says that any funds beyond the first $50 million collected in damages or other environmental recoveries shall go to the state’s general fund.

When state lawmakers tried to amend the proposal to steer more money back toward environmental restoration, Mr. Christie vetoed the effort.

The settlement and the closing briefs followed a 2014 trial that lasted over eight months in which liability was no longer an issue, and a judge was to decide how much Exxon should pay in damages. The judge, Michael S. Hogan, was believed to be ready to rule when a deputy state attorney general, Richard F. Engel, emailed the judge and asked for a delay, citing the settlement talks.

In the Op-Ed piece, Mr. Campbell calls the decision to settle for “roughly three cents on the dollar” after years of litigation an “embarrassment to law enforcement and good government.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/05/nyregion/christies-office-took-over-exxon-settlement-ex-official-says.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=2

2Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal Empty Re: Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal 3/7/2015, 11:11 am

2seaoat

This was a big fail......they spill their oil and hazardous products across America in our rivers and oceans and pay pennies on the dollar for the harm they cause yet a woman with a cracked windshield who is poor spends six days in jail.........we fought one revolution and we need to fight another......raise corporate taxes to former levels, raise the upper tax rates to former levels, and make folks pay for their damage to this country. We need to elect candidates who can get this done. MY favorite candidate in this election cycle just lost ground with me.

3Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal Empty Re: Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal 3/7/2015, 11:38 am

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:This was a big fail......they spill their oil and hazardous products across America in our rivers and oceans and pay pennies on the dollar for the harm they cause yet a woman with a cracked windshield who is poor spends six days in jail.........we fought one revolution and we need to fight another......raise corporate taxes to former levels, raise the upper tax rates to former levels, and make folks pay for their damage to this country.   We need to elect candidates who can get this done.  MY favorite candidate in this election cycle just lost ground with me.

Who is that?

4Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal Empty Re: Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal 3/7/2015, 11:41 am

Sal

Sal

Inexplicably, he is a Christie fanboy.

It's not as if this was an anomaly.

SO must have an appetite for bluster.

5Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal Empty Re: Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal 3/7/2015, 11:48 am

2seaoat

I like his personality and how he performed in Sandy when he did what was best for NJ residents and damn the politics.......The Republicans never forgave him for putting his residents first, but I am very unhappy about once again bad people only having to pay pennies, and poor people being jailed. I understand we have NO perfect candidate, but I want somebody who really cares about people.

6Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal Empty Re: Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal 3/7/2015, 12:10 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:I like his personality and how he performed in Sandy when he did what was best for NJ residents and damn the politics.......The Republicans never forgave him for putting his residents first, but I am very unhappy about once again bad people only having to pay pennies, and poor people being jailed.  I understand we have NO perfect candidate, but I want somebody who really cares about people.  

To me he is way too hot headed and seeks retribution too easily. He has also demonstrated several petty moves like withdrawing money from people who didn't endorse him for re-election etc. Not the temperament to be commander in chief, too scary.

7Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal Empty Re: Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal 3/7/2015, 12:20 pm

2seaoat

He has my temperament and outlook. I guess we like those who are most like us in political outlook and yes temper. Have you not wanted to tell somebody to go F themselves.....well I have always said what I feel in honest responses. I get so sick of trained seals who never are real and are only acting a role.......there is a reason Americans have no respect for politicians. I would rather have a feisty Chris, than a pretend plastic politician like Romney. I would never play poker with a person like Romney but would have a blast with Chris. I like him, I think he has the intelligence to get things right, but I realize that the media wants a plastic man, and he has little chance.

8Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal Empty Re: Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal 3/7/2015, 12:24 pm

Vikingwoman

2seaoat wrote:I like his personality and how he performed in Sandy when he did what was best for NJ residents and damn the politics.......The Republicans never forgave him for putting his residents first, but I am very unhappy about once again bad people only having to pay pennies, and poor people being jailed.  I understand we have NO perfect candidate, but I want somebody who really cares about people.  

They hated him because he embraced President Obama and was friendly to him. Not because he put his residents first.

9Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal Empty Re: Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal 3/7/2015, 12:30 pm

Vikingwoman

2seaoat wrote:He has my temperament and outlook.  I guess we like those who are most like us in political outlook and yes temper.  Have you not wanted to tell somebody to go F themselves.....well I have always said what I feel in honest responses.  I get so sick of trained seals who never are real and are only acting a role.......there is a reason Americans have no respect for politicians.  I would rather have a feisty Chris, than a pretend plastic politician like Romney.  I would never play poker with a person like Romney but would have a blast with Chris.  I like him, I think he has the intelligence to get things right, but I realize that the media wants a plastic man, and he has little chance.

He is vindictive and dishonest. Just like your hero Newt. These people who you want to put in office have very poor character traits.

10Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal Empty Re: Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal 3/7/2015, 12:37 pm

2seaoat

He is vindictive and dishonest. Just like your hero Newt. These people who you want to put in office have very poor character traits.

Both, like President Obama, have the intelligence to lead effectively, and both do not give a rat's tail what people think about them. We need intelligent leadership. Hillary has the smarts. Most of the other candidates simply are not smart enough to be President. I still like Chris, but I am very disappointed with his Wall Street connections and this deal. It was a bad deal for the people of his state.

11Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal Empty Re: Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal 3/7/2015, 1:37 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:He has my temperament and outlook.  I guess we like those who are most like us in political outlook and yes temper.  Have you not wanted to tell somebody to go F themselves.....well I have always said what I feel in honest responses.  I get so sick of trained seals who never are real and are only acting a role.......there is a reason Americans have no respect for politicians.  I would rather have a feisty Chris, than a pretend plastic politician like Romney.  I would never play poker with a person like Romney but would have a blast with Chris.  I like him, I think he has the intelligence to get things right, but I realize that the media wants a plastic man, and he has little chance.

McCain was a breath of fresh air before the handlers got a hold of him but that was attractive because he was caught telling the truth. Telling the truth about something, saying basically what most people know to be accurate about a situation as McCain did is not the same sort of forthrightness,  if you can call it that, that Christi exhibits. To me, telling it like it is in one instance is refreshing and very attractive. Spouting off in an immature "so's your old man" sort of way is not what we need in a powerful leader.

He might be fun to play poker with, W was someone people wanted to have a beer with, but neither would be or were good in office. To your point about Romney, I found him also to be very plastic, a Ken Doll robot who couldn't relate to regular people. Christi and Romney are two personality extremes neither one of which is suited to be President in my opinion.

12Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal Empty Re: Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal 3/7/2015, 1:42 pm

Vikingwoman

I'm sure there are more intelligent people w/ better character traits to lead. You seem to think not giving a rat's ass what people think is some kind of plus for presidential aspirations. I want a president who cares what the people think. Most people do.

13Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal Empty Re: Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal 3/7/2015, 1:49 pm

2seaoat

The best leaders are those who can walk alone and have no qualms if that lonely walk is for the right reasons. A nation of fox news viewers and American Idol as cheerleaders in the majority....a big no......I will take Chris and will not lose a bit of sleep if he were to become president.......I would have become physically ill if Romney had won, and I did not vote for President Obama, rather Johnson who ran and was a Republican.

14Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal Empty Re: Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal 3/7/2015, 2:14 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Seaoat, he's being investigated not only for his questionable advertising after Sandy, but also by the FBI for withholding relief funds from Hoboken unless the mayor went along with some development plans proposed by a contributor. He's no "man of the people". It wasn't his "putting residents first" that angered his fellow R's...it was his photo-op with the President.

15Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal Empty Re: Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal 3/7/2015, 2:34 pm

2seaoat

it was his photo-op with the President.

That is why a discussion of him as a candidate seems pretty futile at this time. People hate the President so much that they will never nominate anybody who in doing their job worked with the President.

16Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal Empty Re: Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal 3/7/2015, 2:35 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:The best leaders are those who can walk alone and have no qualms if that lonely walk is for the right reasons.  A nation of fox news viewers and American Idol as cheerleaders in the majority....a big no......I will take Chris and will not lose a bit of sleep if he were to become president.......I would have become physically ill if Romney had won, and I did not vote for President Obama, rather Johnson who ran and was a Republican.

You have just described President Obama. I have rarely seen anyone lead with more fortitude in the face of so many attempts to smear him.

If Romney is plastic man, Christie is Play-Dough Man.

17Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal Empty Re: Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal 3/7/2015, 4:15 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Floridatexan wrote:
2seaoat wrote:The best leaders are those who can walk alone and have no qualms if that lonely walk is for the right reasons.  A nation of fox news viewers and American Idol as cheerleaders in the majority....a big no......I will take Chris and will not lose a bit of sleep if he were to become president.......I would have become physically ill if Romney had won, and I did not vote for President Obama, rather Johnson who ran and was a Republican.

You have just described President Obama.  I have rarely seen anyone lead with more fortitude in the face of so many attempts to smear him.

If Romney is plastic man, Christie is Play-Dough Man.  

He may be Play-dough man on the outside but he's got a lot of very sharp edges right under the surface, explosive edges with short fuses.

18Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal Empty Re: Chris Crisco Cuts a Deal 3/8/2015, 1:50 pm

Sal

Sal

Christie is as hollow a politician as has ever been produced, and he's been an abject disaster for New Jersey.

He is hot air and bravado in a suit and nothing more.

He is soon to find himself in the dustbin of history.

Good riddance.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum