Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Would you pay an extra nickle?

+2
KarlRove
gatorfan
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Would you pay an extra nickle? Empty Would you pay an extra nickle? 1/28/2015, 10:12 am

gatorfan

Bernie Sanders introduced a major infrastructure improvement bill that is sorely needed to repair roads, bridges, and make other necessary improvements. $1T over five years would go a long way toward making our infrastructure safer. I would like to see another $1T spent on modernizing the electrical grid but that's another argument.

Would you throw in an extra nickle per gallon of gas to help fund something like this? I would.

http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/230866-sen-sanders-files-1t-infrastructure-bill

If the federal gas tax revenues were used for their intended purpose there would be plenty to service interstate hwys.

This is just another example of bureaucratic govt incompetence creating a crisis that rationalizes a govt solution.

KarlRove

KarlRove

There are enough gas taxes. Gas just got affordable again and now morons want to raise the price
. WTH

knothead

knothead

Yes, I would pay more and not complain IF it were spent on roads, bridges, airports, electrical grid upgrades, outdated water treatment plants just to name a few. It must be done . . . .

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Sure I would not mind a 5 cent additional  tax on gas. This is the perfect time to add it since prices are low now. It would mean a lot of new jobs for people in construction.

I would much rather pay the tax than to start seeing toll roads or some other privately owned system. We need to keep our transportation system publicly owned.

knothead

knothead

othershoe1030 wrote:Sure I would not mind a 5 cent additional  tax on gas. This is the perfect time to add it since prices are low now. It would mean a lot of new jobs for people in construction.

I would much rather pay the tax than to start seeing toll roads or some other privately owned system. We need to keep our transportation system publicly owned.

. . . . . . and we would have tangible improvements to show for the additional tax, such a no brainer!!

gatorfan

knothead wrote:Yes, I would pay more and not complain IF it were spent on roads, bridges, airports, electrical grid upgrades, outdated water treatment plants just to name a few.  It must be done . . . .

That's the nub of it, unfortunately Congress doesn't always spend money for it's intended purpose not to mention all the pork projects. But if there was a way.......

KarlRove

KarlRove

What happens when gas goes back up?

gatorfan

KarlRove wrote:What happens when gas goes back up?

Then it goes back up. Would a nickle break your bank if the money were used for it's intended purpose? I like driving on good roads and safe bridges. I use between 10-15 gallons of gas a week, another 50-75 cents a week - big deal.

10Would you pay an extra nickle? Empty Re: Would you pay an extra nickle? 1/28/2015, 12:20 pm

They always promise to create a protected set aside lockbox for these noble intents...

before it turns into a slushfund or is openly robbed.

11Would you pay an extra nickle? Empty Re: Would you pay an extra nickle? 1/28/2015, 12:23 pm

knothead

knothead

PkrBum wrote:They always promise to create a protected set aside lockbox for these noble intents...

This is a theoretical discussion . . . . lol

12Would you pay an extra nickle? Empty Re: Would you pay an extra nickle? 1/28/2015, 12:40 pm

PkrBum wrote:They always promise to create a protected set aside lockbox for these noble intents...

Taxes on gas are local, state, and federal. Right?. So wouldn't the tax be directed to DOT and they be responsible? How would Congress touch that? Where's the slush fund? How does it get robbed?

13Would you pay an extra nickle? Empty Re: Would you pay an extra nickle? 1/28/2015, 12:50 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

knothead wrote:Yes, I would pay more and not complain IF it were spent on roads, bridges, airports, electrical grid upgrades, outdated water treatment plants just to name a few.  It must be done . . . .
Same here if...

14Would you pay an extra nickle? Empty Re: Would you pay an extra nickle? 1/28/2015, 12:56 pm

SheWrites wrote:

Taxes on gas are local, state, and federal. Right?. So wouldn't the tax be directed to DOT and they be responsible? How would Congress touch that? Where's the slush fund? How does it get robbed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_taxes_in_the_United_States

Finding the way the contracts and funds have been corrupted and abused from govt, corps, and unions is easy.

Would you pay an extra nickle? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBOzcryUR8TeqUy3EngY11-G7CXyf7_IB-O8Z6_8JetvadeImbpA

Wouldn't the $85 billion in subsidies paid to the banks who are 'To big to fail' be better used for this purpose?

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2RNe2jwHE0

Rolling Eyes

2seaoat

Yes, I would gladly pay. Since 1993 the federal gas tax has not been raised. With cars getting better gas mileage often by a factor of two fold since 1993 the problem goes beyond one nickle bump. I would rather see a nickle now and then 10 years of a penny a year. This would bring the current federal 18 cents to 33 cents in 2026.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum