Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is your favorite regional beer or specialty beer

+6
Yella
Nekochan
Hospital Bob
ZVUGKTUBM
no stress
2seaoat
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Nekochan

Nekochan

Sorry, Seaoat, I don't know how long it's been sold up here...since we've been here for the last couple of years, anyway. I don't know much at all about beer--I just buy what hubby says he likes.

Yella

Yella

Bob wrote:You might be interested to know that we have a regular contributor here who worked in a very large brewery for most of his working career. He likes Miller High Life.
I drank Michelob for years and then Michelob Ultra. For the last few months my beer of choice is Yuengling Light.

That would be me. I started with Schlitz in l957 in Kansas City, Missouri, and then went to Texas only to see Schlitz sell out to Strohs in 1980. Retired in 1996.

Miller High Life is the best beer I ever tasted. Yummy.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

NaNook

NaNook

I would have to say;

1. Brooklyn Lager
2. Shiner Bock
3. An ice-cold PBR in the summer. It reminds me of my Dad and I in the 60s.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Yella wrote:
Bob wrote:You might be interested to know that we have a regular contributor here who worked in a very large brewery for most of his working career. He likes Miller High Life.
I drank Michelob for years and then Michelob Ultra. For the last few months my beer of choice is Yuengling Light.

That would be me. I started with Schlitz in l957 in Kansas City, Missouri, and then went to Texas only to see Schlitz sell out to Strohs in 1980. Retired in 1996.

Did you get to take home cases where a bottle had broken?
Hubby had a navy reserve friend when we lived in Texas who worked at a brewery...he'd bring cases of beer to weekend drills --these were cases that had been damaged in some manner but still had good bottles or cans of beer in them.

**I should edit this...the beer wasn't for drinking at drill, lol. It was for whoever wanted to take some home with them.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yella educated me about something I would have never known about otherwise.
The Strohs Brewery he was at made other manufacturers' products. The other manufacturers just provide them the recipe and they make it for the other manufacturer.
It would be like Coca Cola being made in a Pepsi bottling plant.

Yella

Yella

Nekochan wrote:
Yella wrote:

Hubby had a navy reserve friend when we lived in Texas who worked at a brewery...he'd bring cases of beer to weekend drills --these were cases that had been damaged in some manner but still had good bottles or cans of beer in them.

**I should edit this...the beer wasn't for drinking at drill, lol. It was for whoever wanted to take some home with them.

Every employee got one case a week, free, it was a cool time.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Nekochan

Nekochan

OMG, Bob....-165. Jeez.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Yella wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Yella wrote:

Every employee got one case a week, free, it was a cool time.

My husband's friend might have also gotten a free case a week. I don't remember. I know he got to take home damaged cases, though.

good thing i wasn't in that biz. i would've accepted just the beer for pay... like camp script.
drunken

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:OMG, Bob....-165. Jeez.
I know it really is an honor isn't it. I'm hoping I can get to -200. But that's a pretty lofty goal.

2seaoat wrote:Where do you get seadog blueberry? That sounds interesting.

Pensacola Ale House sells it as well as the liquor store on the corner of Bell Lane and HWY 90 in Pace. I think the Fusion store 90 sells it as well which is down 90 closer to Milton.

hallmarkgrad wrote:Beer was cheap in Chitose in 66. A large (Ookki close to a 1/5) bottle at a bar was 100 yen Small bottle,Chiisai . was about 60 yen or so. Exchange rate was 360 to a dollar at that time. Army did not pay much back then E4 over 2 was just under 200 a month. When I got out as a E5 over three I just did break 300 a month. I drank many many many gallons of booze. LOL

When I was in Okinawa and then mainland Japan at Camp Fuji, the yen exchange rate was about 275-300 per dollar. Yep, those times were good for a single guy across the pond.

2seaoat

When I was 15 I got a work permit and worked as a bus boy/dishwasher at a golf course. They would have rock bands and Dixieland music on alternating weekends, and the bar would have a beer bottle shoot. What it was was a metal tube which went from the bar to the basement. Part of my job was pulling the empty bottles out of the beer shoot, and putting them back in the boxes. To this day, my wife keeps some of her art supplies in an old Shlitz beer cases and they are some of our prized possessions.

The Shlitz beer cases were made of this really thick pressed cardboard and were very durable. There were these criscross cardboard dividers which would accomodate the beer bottles.

I would haul the cases up from the basement and stock the coolers behind the bar, and then take the empty cases to the basement next to the bottle shoot. The bottle shoot was a metal series of 45 degree angles which would go from one side of the shoot to the other as a bottle would roll down the 45s and then hit the other bottles at the bottom. You would think that the bottles would break.....and some did, but most did just fine. I would repack the cases with the empties, and the delivery guys would bring a stack of new beer cases to the basement and take the empties. Many a night I would cross the golf course walking home at 1 in the morning interrupting couples who had hit it off that night with rock or dixieland smelling like a brewery.......wishing that I could fool around on the putting green, and drink beer......all in good time......life was exciting and I loved working making my $1 an hour.......Schlitz beer....oh yea.....and the 18th green where I learned that I could not wait to grow up.

the correct spelling of chute is not shoot.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I occasionally enjoy Guinness stout with a jigger of Baileys Irish Cream, and Jameson Irish Whiskey dropped into the stout.... straight-up no ice and down quickly.

i love guinnys too... poured just right in a proper glass... it's half gone after my first sip.

When I was 17, I worked with a colorful character out at Innerarity Point and we put in wells. My pay was $1 an hour and all the beer I could drink.

I had a great time...

Sal

Sal

Nothing else comes close ...

What is your favorite regional beer or specialty beer - Page 2 5534521773_0abc64b07b_z

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

You guys are making me thirsty..... I am lucky if I consume a 6-pack in a year now.

When I was younger, I would go around the corner to the Lyons Market in Santa Ana, where I lived, and buy a Schlitz "Tall Boy," which was a 24 oz. can of Schlitz beer. I would put that sucker in the freezer and hop in the shower. I would let that can stay in the freezer for about 45 minutes. After a hot shower, I would pop the top, slake that sucker down, and go to bed. I must say I would sleep like a baby (until my bladder woke me up in the middle of the night, LOL).

I absolutely love beer--it has to be about a half-degree above freezing--but it tastes so good. I don't care for other alcoholic beverages.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Markle

Markle

President Barack Hussein Obama had his own private beer brewery installed in the White House. Apparently he has his own secret recipe which leaked recently. No pun intended. President Obama was warned to cut down on his drinking a few years back.

Sounds like something Ted Kennedy would have had in his office.

Personally I've never had much of a taste for beer. Except with a really good pizza a good dark lager, porter or ideally a stout.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum