Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Regional Chili Variations

+2
ZVUGKTUBM
Sal
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Regional Chili Variations Empty Regional Chili Variations 1/14/2016, 8:11 pm

Sal

Sal

I love chili.

When I was a kid it was always served on spaghetti - actually, I still serve it to my son that way just to add an additional carb.

I was telling a lady about that today, and she had never heard of that before.

Reminded me that years ago I dated a woman who always served chili with peanut butter sandwiches.

She was from northern Ohio, and apparently that's the custom in that area.

2Regional Chili Variations Empty Re: Regional Chili Variations 1/14/2016, 9:33 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

When I was still in the military, My boss asked me to enter a chili cook-off  with him, and we would cook my chili recipe. We made an extra big batch, and people would come around and take little cups to taste the various entries. When the judges came around to us, our entry was disqualified, because there was not enough chili left in the pot for the judges to taste.

Folks liked our chili so much that they ate it all before it could be judged.

You would think that we would have won the contest by default, but the head judge was a two-star general, and you really could not argue with him.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

3Regional Chili Variations Empty Re: Regional Chili Variations 1/14/2016, 10:42 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Well Zman.....I would love to have your recipe. I make mine thick....

4Regional Chili Variations Empty Re: Regional Chili Variations 1/14/2016, 10:51 pm

knothead

knothead

I also like it thick and meaty . . . . . what I despise is big red kidney beans, yuk! I pick 'em out when I must . . . . . . it is that thick skin that turns me off. My wife uses a red bean as an alternative and her recipe is scrumptious . . . .

5Regional Chili Variations Empty Re: Regional Chili Variations 1/14/2016, 10:55 pm

Pinto beans are good too. I always start with dried beans... you can pack flavor into the soak.

6Regional Chili Variations Empty Re: Regional Chili Variations 1/14/2016, 11:09 pm

Sal

Sal

Mmmm ...

I go with half big red kidney beans and half black beans.

Rotels original with green chilies is another critical element.

7Regional Chili Variations Empty Re: Regional Chili Variations 1/15/2016, 9:58 am

Our family recipe originated with my aunt's neighbor. It calls for kidney beans but through the years I substituted red beans or pintos. I've also kicked up the heat a bit. It's thick and meaty. But I've also made a healthier version with chicken.

We had good friends from Ohio and they ate their chili over macaroni.

When we lived in Texas we were told if you know beans about chili you know there are NO beans in chili. I would shrug and add my beans. Laughing

8Regional Chili Variations Empty Re: Regional Chili Variations 1/15/2016, 10:19 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

My mother served chili o er rice.  Don't know if that was usual or not but my dad loved rice.

9Regional Chili Variations Empty Re: Regional Chili Variations 1/15/2016, 1:12 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Joanimaroni wrote:Well Zman.....I would love to have your recipe. I make mine thick....

I only use pinto beans. I don't have it written down, but I know I use a packet od mild-chili mix, two cans of Bush's pinto beans, a 12-oz can of diced tomatoes, a 8-oz can of tomato sauce, a 4 oz can of diced green chilies, a small diced onion, one half of a large green-pepper, diced, and a half-pound of browned ground beef. I also add a tablespoon of sugar to cut the acid of the tomatoes, and one or two beef bullion cubes for flavoring. Simmer until the green peppers and onions are cooked through. I like to cook it for at least an hour to 1.5 hours (the longer the better).

That is enough for about 4 people, but you can enlarge it to make it for more people. I like my chili mild, and I like to eat it with Fritos.

I do like Pkrbm's take on using dry beans. All bean dishes are superior if you use this approach. That would call for a 24-hr cook in the crock-pot.

10Regional Chili Variations Empty Re: Regional Chili Variations 1/15/2016, 1:23 pm

Ya... I always start it the day before... same goes for my other soups like bean, turkey, chicken... I like making soups.

11Regional Chili Variations Empty Re: Regional Chili Variations 1/15/2016, 1:39 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

"My" chili has somewhat of an Italian twist.  For meat, I use half ground beef and half Italian sausage.  For beans, I use garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas) and Italian white beans.  No kidney beans at all for my chili.  The rest is fairly standard stuff: chili powder, onion, peppers, tomato paste, chipotle, paprika, cumin, etc.  I put "my" in quotes as I got the idea for the Italian twist from watching YouTube.

It isn't chili, but I made an amazing chicken noodle soup last night.  It started with a rotisserie chicken that I had for dinner on Wednesday.  After dinner, I gently boiled the carcass and leftover bits in a pot of water with black peppercorns, bay leaves, fresh thyme, celery, carrots, and a sweet onion.  After sifting out excess fat and straining, I stored the broth in the fridge.  After work the next day, I realized that I effectively had almost everything I would need for a good chicken noodle soup.  I added the home made broth to a pot with three uncooked, boneless skinless chicken breasts and some additional water.  Brought to a boil and cooked until chicken was done.  Removed chicken from the broth and set aside.  Strained the broth.  In the original pot, I added two and a half tablespoons of butter along with chopped celery and cubed carrots.  Cooked those in the butter until soft, and then re-added the chicken broth and the chicken (which I shredded before re-adding).  That is when I seasoned with roughly two and a half teaspoons of salt (I used salted butter so I didn't need quite as much salt).  At that point, I added my wide egg noodles, brought back to a boil, and then reduced heat and stirred until the noodles were to my wife's desired doneness.  That's when I removed from heat and stirred in some fresh thyme leaves.  This is how it looked in a bowl.  Was feeling slightly under the weather yesterday, but am 100% this morning.

If you're not making chicken broth out of your leftover rotisserie's, you're cheating yourself. Home made broth kills store bought, and soup made with home made broth kills store bought soup.

Regional Chili Variations ToCau7L

12Regional Chili Variations Empty Re: Regional Chili Variations 1/15/2016, 1:49 pm

boards of FL wrote:"My" chili has somewhat of an Italian twist.  For meat, I use half ground beef and half Italian sausage.  For beans, I use garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas) and Italian white beans.  No kidney beans at all for my chili.  The rest is fairly standard stuff: chili powder, onion, peppers, tomato paste, chipotle, paprika, cumin, etc.  I put "my" in quotes as I got the idea for the Italian twist from watching YouTube.

It isn't chili, but I made an amazing chicken noodle soup last night.  It started with a rotisserie chicken that I had for dinner on Wednesday.  After dinner, I gently boiled the carcass and leftover bits in a pot of water with black peppercorns, bay leaves, fresh thyme, celery, carrots, and a sweet onion.  After sifting out excess fat and straining, I stored the broth in the fridge.  After work the next day, I realized that I effectively had almost everything I would need for a good chicken noodle soup.  I added the home made broth to a pot with three uncooked, boneless skinless chicken breasts and some additional water.  Brought to a boil and cooked until chicken was done.  Removed chicken from the broth and set aside.  Strained the broth.  In the original pot, I added two and a half tablespoons of butter along with chopped celery and cubed carrots.  Cooked those in the butter until soft, and then re-added the chicken broth and the chicken (which I shredded before re-adding).  That is when I seasoned with roughly two and a half teaspoons of salt (I used salted butter so I didn't need quite as much salt).  At that point, I added my wide egg noodles, brought back to a boil, and then reduced heat and stirred until the noodles were to my wife's desired doneness.  That's when I removed from heat and stirred in some fresh thyme leaves.  This is how it looked in a bowl.  Was feeling slightly under the weather yesterday, but am 100% this morning.

If you're not making chicken broth out of your leftover rotisserie's, you're cheating yourself.  Home made broth kills store bought, and soup made with home made broth kills store bought soup.

Regional Chili Variations ToCau7L

Sounds like you enjoy cooking and that soup looks great, Boards.

Both my kids take my recipes and make them better.

13Regional Chili Variations Empty Re: Regional Chili Variations 1/15/2016, 1:50 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

You should just open a restaurant, Boards. You always post photos of some delicious looking food.

14Regional Chili Variations Empty Re: Regional Chili Variations 1/15/2016, 1:57 pm

The secret to great soup is in the bones. I usually cook the carcass or bone long enough to remove the meat easily like you do and set aside... then continue slow boiling the bones for another hour or so to get the marrow to release. Once that's done I start on whatever veges/potatoes/beans and cook till almost done... add the meat back in and bring up to temp. Then refrigerate and warm the next day for the meal. I make big pots btw... they freeze really well.

15Regional Chili Variations Empty Re: Regional Chili Variations 1/15/2016, 2:01 pm

Sal

Sal

That's some good looking chicken soup, Boards.

My specialties are chili, white chili, and jambalaya with black-eyed peas.

My wife is good with bean, vegetable, beef barley, and lentil soups.

So yeah, we make and eat a lot of soup around here too.

Here's something I recently learned about the vegetables they use in canned soups ...

In 2002, Slate writer Tim Carvell decided to put canned soup to the taste test, and concluded that they all were basically inedible (except, perhaps, as pasta sauce). There are reasons why canned soup can’t be made to taste like the stuff that comes off your stove top after an investment of serious time and labor. The major reason—and the gargantuan carrots are a result of this—is food safety. In order to greatly reduce the chance that your canned soup is going to get you sick, Carvell noted, the Food and Drug Administration requires that the soup be brought to a temperature of 250 degrees Fahrenheit after it’s canned.

The process, though measurable, is violent. Soup companies want the process to go quickly, and they want the soup to be heated evenly, so the cans of soups are aggressively shaken, mixing up the broth and vegetables and chicken and whatnot. And while you shouldn’t try this at home (and if you have a canned soup shaking machine, that’s really cool and you should post a video to YouTube), you can imagine what would happen to the perfect carrots you can buy at the grocery store. They would not survive the process in any visibly solid form.

The solution? Gargantuan carrots.

Carvell spoke with a man named David Gombas, then the Vice President of the Center for Development of Research Policy and New Technologies at the National Food Processors Association. Gombas told Carvell that regular, everyday carrots would "disintegrate" in the heating-and-shaking process. So to get around this, "companies grow special carrots for soups. They look like tree limbs. They're like baseball bats. But once they go through the cooking process, they come out looking like the small young ones that you'd put into your soup." And the same is true many of the other vegetables in canned soup. The selectively-bred veggies come out like regular ones, are safe to eat, and taste fine. Just not quite as good as the ones in homemade soup.

Bonus Fact: Bugs Bunny loved carrots. But he was a bad role model. Rabbits probably shouldn't eat carrots, according to the United Kingdom's Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. The high sugar content in carrots (relative to hay, which rabbits should be eating) can cause them to suffer tooth decay and experience digestive troubles.

http://boingboing.net/2014/11/17/soup-is-monstrous-food.html

16Regional Chili Variations Empty Re: Regional Chili Variations 1/15/2016, 4:26 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Soup looks great Boards.

I use dark red kidney beans and chili beans in my chili and anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 pounds ground chuck.

Family Chili
3 lbs Ground chuck
1 onion chopped
1 green pepper diced
1 yellow pepper diced
5-6 cloves of garlic diced
4-5 heaping tablespoons of chili powder (more if needed)
1 tablespoon of Hersey Cocoa powder
2 tsps. Cumin 
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder to taste
1 can kidney beans
2 cans chili beans
2-3 tbls of tomato paste (I use the paste in a tube)
1 large can crushed tomatoes 28oz.
2 cans of tomato sauce or Rotel for spicy
1/2 cup of water if needed
In a large skillet cook beef, add onion and peppers and cook for a few minutes. Drain 
beef and vegetables and put in a large dutch oven (5-7 qt.) Add seasonings and cocoa powder. Stir well and add tomato 
paste, tomatoes and sauce. Cook on medium. Add beans and cook on low until ready to serve.
Served with regular size fritos, chili, shredded cheese and sour cream

17Regional Chili Variations Empty Re: Regional Chili Variations 1/15/2016, 9:12 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

17590589/547]Regional Chili Variations 20151111[/url]

18Regional Chili Variations Empty Re: Regional Chili Variations 1/16/2016, 2:45 am

Vikingwoman

knothead wrote:I also like it thick and meaty . . . . . what I despise is big red kidney beans, yuk! I pick 'em out when I must . . . . . . it is that thick skin that turns me off. My wife uses a red bean as an alternative and her recipe is scrumptious . . . .

I don't like those red kidney beans either and use black beans.

19Regional Chili Variations Empty Re: Regional Chili Variations 1/16/2016, 2:49 am

Vikingwoman

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Well Zman.....I would love to have your recipe. I make mine thick....

I only use pinto beans. I don't have it written down, but I know I use a packet od mild-chili mix, two cans of Bush's pinto beans, a 12-oz can of diced tomatoes, a 8-oz can of tomato sauce, a 4 oz can of diced green chilies, a small diced onion, one half of a large green-pepper, diced, and a half-pound of browned ground beef. I also add a tablespoon of sugar to cut the acid of the tomatoes, and one or two beef bullion cubes for flavoring. Simmer until the green peppers and onions are cooked through. I like to cook it for at least an hour to 1.5 hours (the longer the better).

That is enough for about 4 people, but you can enlarge it to make it for more people. I like my chili mild, and I like to eat it with Fritos.

I do like Pkrbm's take on using dry beans. All bean dishes are superior if you use this approach. That would call for a 24-hr cook in the crock-pot.

I have to have garlic in my chili and I use three packs of the mild chili mix.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum