Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is your favorite regional beer or specialty beer

+6
Yella
Nekochan
Hospital Bob
ZVUGKTUBM
no stress
2seaoat
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

2seaoat

I cannot drink beer any more, so I was thinking what beers I liked in my travels. I liked Schafer beer in upstate NY, and my favorite beer is Old style from Wisconsin and the midwest. I used to like coors when you had to go to Colorado to get it, but now it is just another national brand, and available everywhere. I did a beer tasting contest at my home in the late 70s and Schafer beer won hands down, and to my surprise some of the well known premium beers did very badly in our blind taste testing. I used to get cases of Old Style and keep them in Navarre, and neighbors wanted to know where I got it.........I told them I found it at Walmart........gee, maybe I can be Paul Ryan.

As much as I like to try different beers, my body won't stand for drinking more than one of the heavier types of beers. Rogue Dead Guy Ale (like Killian's Irish Red) is good. Seadog Blueberry tastes good. Shock Top with the Orange Peel taste is good. I just can't drink more than one of these though. They are too heavy. I generally stick with a lite beer of some sort. Coors and Bud Light Lime are ones that I can drink at least two of before taking a break.

Oh yeah, a Guiness in Ireland on the way to the Sandbox or coming home is always nice. Done that a time or three even when we had to pay $7 per pint American. Two pints of that will make sleeping on a plane a lot easier. LOL. On my last trip to Astan our rotator was Hurlburt personnel only on the ride home. There was no limit to Guiness. What a nice trip home.

2seaoat

Where do you get seadog blueberry? That sounds interesting.

no stress

no stress

No beer but I do occassionally do a cranberry vodka. 2/3s cranberry, 1/3 stoli, shaken with crushed ice and poured into a glass.

2seaoat

You are killing me Gunz..........I used to drink tang and tonic.......nothing better than going to Tiger Point after golf, and having my bottle behind the bar and getting a tall tang and tonic......when they changed the law, and SR started to allow hard liquor.....well, they kept it. I was at super walmart the other day and saw those green bottles, and I said to myself.....you know when they tell me I only have 6 months left......damn to torpedos.........I am going to try some of your cranberry vodka, and have another tall tang and tonic.......but as long as they are not telling me 6 months.....I am listening to the docs.

no stress

no stress

2seaoat wrote:You are killing me Gunz..........I used to drink tang and tonic.......nothing better than going to Tiger Point after golf, and having my bottle behind the bar and getting a tall tang and tonic......when they changed the law, and SR started to allow hard liquor.....well, they kept it. I was at super walmart the other day and saw those green bottles, and I said to myself.....you know when they tell me I only have 6 months left......damn to torpedos.........I am going to try some of your cranberry vodka, and have another tall tang and tonic.......but as long as they are not telling me 6 months.....I am listening to the docs.

PM me and I'll mix one for you personally. Lets both hope I never get the PM. Positive thoughts going your way man.

Schafers and Carlings Black Label were ok many years ago when I was in the Boston area Of course Sapporo, Asahi(Knee high people and Ass high beer), and Keiin were big in Japan. I toured the Sapporo brewery, ( Guaranteed to get you drunk)tour. Some of the worse beer was in Korea. Crown was some deadly stuff. Nasty tasting stuff with a hang over from hell.
Jax, Dixie 45 were cheap and pretty good when you were in the New Orleans area. Of course Falstaff and Schitz in this area. Spearman Ace high beer and ale was brewed down on Barrancas and Government. Nasty stuff, they brewed the hops and stuff about 4 am every morning. You could smell it all over the west side..They had a little shack at Crystal ice house and you could buy it by the gallon(Bring your own jug) 80cents a gallon if I remember right
But back then we were all destitute and wore sack cloth and yet to be enlightened by out Saviors from out of town.

What is your favorite regional beer or specialty beer FL-SPR-011

2seaoat

Falstaff and Shlitz.......I am getting old. Why did they stop making Shlitz? It was big in the fifties and sixties.....and then just disappered.

2seaoat wrote:Falstaff and Shlitz.......I am getting old. Why did they stop making Shlitz? It was big in the fifties and sixties.....and then just disappered.

Schlitz was my first ever taste of beer and it almost made me shy away from beer on a more permanent basis. However I grew to like an occasional brew every now and again. When I do drink beer, it is usually Michelob or Stella Artois. I also have tried some of the German beers and like Kirner Pils and Bitburger Pils. You can find both of these locally.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

2seaoat wrote:You are killing me Gunz..........I used to drink tang and tonic.......nothing better than going to Tiger Point after golf, and having my bottle behind the bar and getting a tall tang and tonic......when they changed the law, and SR started to allow hard liquor.....well, they kept it. I was at super walmart the other day and saw those green bottles, and I said to myself.....you know when they tell me I only have 6 months left]......damn to torpedos.........I am going to try some of your cranberry vodka, and have another tall tang and tonic.......but as long as they are not telling me 6 months.....I am listening to the docs.

I like an occasional Bud Light, very cold, and draft if I can get it.

Seaoat, you are a champ, man. Keep your faith strong and your eyes focused ahead. I have a sister-in-law who is in a similar position as you, with tumors from recurring cancer in her lungs. Her's originated with melanoma. My brother told us she had 3-6 months last January, and she is still here.

If there was a "Poster of the Year" award, you would be unanimously voted for it.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

You might be interested to know that we have a regular contributor here who worked in a very large brewery for most of his working career. He likes Miller High Life.
I drank Michelob for years and then Michelob Ultra. For the last few months my beer of choice is Yuengling Light.

2seaoat

Where to you get Yeuling sp? I have not heard of it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Where to you get Yeuling sp? I have not heard of it.
Yuengling is available in every supermarket and liquor store in Pensacola and probably convenience stores although I rarely buy beer there.
I never heard of it until a couple years ago either and thought it was chinese at first (because it sounds like an Asian name). But it's out of Pennsylvania and claims to be America's oldest brewery.

2seaoat

I have never heard of it, and although I have not been drinking for 9 months, I still gaze and it simply does not ring a bell. I will check the internet and see if they have a picture........the mind is slipping, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

Just looked at a picture.....I have never seen this beer. I must be sleep walking.

Last edited by 2seaoat on 9/3/2012, 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:I have never heard of it, and although I have not been drinking for 9 months, I still gaze and it simply does not ring a bell. I will check the internet and see if they have a picture........the mind is slipping, but a picture is worth a thousand words.
http://www.yuengling.com/

My favorite beer is Saint Pauli Girl Dark.

What is your favorite regional beer or specialty beer Dark10

St. Pauli Girl Special Dark is a remarkably smooth beer with a light hop character and rich malty taste. This Special Dark Girl has been a Gold Medal winner for the American Tasting Institute Best Full Calorie German Dark.

Using the same high-quality ingredients in the Lager, the malt in St. Pauli Girl Special Dark is slow roasted using a centuries-old recipe. This gives St. Pauli Girl Special Dark unparalleled taste and a uniquely vibrant color.

Per 12 fl. oz:
3.7% alcohol by weight
4.8% alcohol by volume
150 calories
0 grams of fat

Nekochan

Nekochan

I don't drink beer. My husband's favorite in this area is Yuengling Black and Tan. Yuengling is popular here in North Alabama, but I'm not sure why.

Hallmark, in Japan, hubby liked Yebisu but beer in Japan is expensive so I didn't buy the Yebisu for him on a regular basis. At the NEX over there, they didn't have Yuengling so I bought him Bud Select which he also likes.

I just completed a search for the beer on the website that Bob posted and there are 1000s of stores in the area that sell that brand.

Nekochan

Nekochan

It's sold everywhere up here.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Might try Publix. The Publix here has it for about .50 to $1.00 cheaper a 12 pack than most other places.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

When it's on sale in the supermarkets here Yuengling is $9.99 for a 12 pack.

Nekochan

Nekochan

That's about the same here. It's normally $10.49-$10.99 or so up here. I think when the Publix here has it on sale it's $9.49.

Beer was cheap in Chitose in 66. A large (Ookki close to a 1/5) bottle at a bar was 100 yen Small bottle,Chiisai . was about 60 yen or so. Exchange rate was 360 to a dollar at that time. Army did not pay much back then E4 over 2 was just under 200 a month. When I got out as a E5 over three I just did break 300 a month. I drank many many many gallons of booze. LOL

2seaoat

I visit my cousin in Decatur, and I must be going crazy, but I have never seen the beer. When I was able to still drink, I would just get a case of coors light, and I guess I never really explored in the last five years other beers and I have been shopping at super walmart on beer. How long has this beer been around.....have you seen tv or print ads.....I mean I do not know this beer.

Nekochan

Nekochan

hallmarkgrad wrote:Beer was cheap in Chitose in 66. A large (Ookki close to a 1/5) bottle at a bar was 100 yen Small bottle,Chiisai . was about 60 yen or so. Exchange rate was 360 to a dollar at that time. Army did not pay much back then E4 over 2 was just under 200 a month. When I got out as a E5 over three I just did break 300 a month. I drank many many many gallons of booze. LOL

LOL, lucky you living in Japan before beer got crazy expensive.

I think the exchange rate is now around 75 yen to $1.00.

I was just trying to remember how much I paid for a 6 pack of Japanese beer when we lived there. I'm thinking it was over 1000 yen a 6 pack (around $10 at the time). The Yebisu was a little more expensive than other Japanese beers, but they are all expensive. Of course, Bud Select, on base, was much cheaper.
The Japanese LOVE Budweiser, though, which is even more expensive in Japan than Japanese beer.

***I am thinking I paid closer to 1200 yen a 6 pack for Yebisu which was something like $12 back then. But I know it was over $10 (US) per 6 pack. I only bought it once in a while cause it just cost so much. But once in a while I'd splurge a little and bring him home a 6 pack.

Last edited by Nekochan on 9/3/2012, 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum