Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bad news for our resident atheists

+8
Joanimaroni
polecat
TEOTWAWKI
Telstar
boards of FL
Wordslinger
2seaoat
KarlRove
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

1Bad news for our resident atheists Empty Bad news for our resident atheists 12/29/2014, 12:01 am

KarlRove

KarlRove

http://www.wsj.com/articles/eric-metaxas-science-increasingly-makes-the-case-for-god-1419544568

Science is sort of helping prove the case for God existing lol

Bad news for our resident atheists Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0V7iuK71sBTB4_UUfHJXie_K1Ii-0xAuur7FNxWr_WtJ-_q6r

Now you've done it man.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2MgU7PNHgw

Very Happy

2seaoat

I am a christian. Why would I be concerned with someone who chooses not to believe in god. It is their personal belief system. It is none of my business.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

KarlRove wrote:http://www.wsj.com/articles/eric-metaxas-science-increasingly-makes-the-case-for-god-1419544568

Science is sort of helping prove the case for God existing lol

OK, you win. God exists. And it's a cold, bloody, evil sonofabitch.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Science goes wherever the evidence leads, whether that outcome is desired or not.

Being it the case that there is zero evidence for the christian god (or thousands of other gods that none of you believe in), there is no rational reason to believe in god.

That said, KarlRove clearly isn't a rational person, so there is no rational argument that I can make to change his mind.

Telstar

Telstar

It seems Pope Francis believes in God and science.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/27/pope-francis-edict-climate-change-us-rightwing

boards of FL wrote:Science goes wherever the evidence leads, whether that outcome is desired or not.

Being it the case that there is zero evidence for the christian god (or thousands of other gods that none of you believe in), there is no rational reason to believe in god.    

That said, KarlRove clearly isn't a rational person, so there is no rational argument that I can make to change his mind.

Bad news for our resident atheists Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQi-tnlKOaOXp2ftOZIzgFyboJytYaG0TjJvH0PTdaZQf482V03xg

And how would you know which God or Gods everyone around here believes in?

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ljy6PTbX9I

Smile

boards of FL

boards of FL

Damaged Eagle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:Science goes wherever the evidence leads, whether that outcome is desired or not.

Bad news for our resident atheists Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQi-tnlKOaOXp2ftOZIzgFyboJytYaG0TjJvH0PTdaZQf482V03xg

*****CHUCKLE*****

Smile

I guess I don't, and that is of no consequence seeing as how none of them exist.

boards of FL wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

*****CHUCKLE*****

Smile

I guess I don't, and that is of no consequence seeing as how none of them exist.

Bad news for our resident atheists Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaEsaC2-RWLghAwMvrVzodvij4oQfRt288shr0tOKl_Jdychay7g

Which means that you believe science holds the answers to all your need to know. In which case you're a good Darwinist...

That explains why you support the current presidents foreign policies of killing thousands at a whim.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Smile

boards of FL

boards of FL

Damaged Eagle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

*****CHUCKLE*****

Smile

Bad news for our resident atheists Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaEsaC2-RWLghAwMvrVzodvij4oQfRt288shr0tOKl_Jdychay7g

Which means that you believe science holds the answers to all your need to know. In which case you're a good Darwinist...

That explains why you support the current presidents foreign policies of killing thousands at a whim.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Smile

No and no.

You should really consider learning how to effectively read at some point in your life, lest you end up a guy living in Iowa who talks to himself on political forums.

boards of FL wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

*****CHUCKLE*****

Smile

You can't prove that.

boards of FL

boards of FL

SheWrites wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

*****CHUCKLE*****

Smile

You can't prove that.  

The burden of proof doesn't rest with me. It rests with the people who feel there is some sort of supernatural god. Extraordinary claims call for extraordinary evidence.

You can't prove that the easter bunny doesn't exist.

You can't prove that thor doesn't exist.

You can't prove that there isn't a copy of Seinfield Season 3 orbiting the sun somewhere in our solar system.

You can't prove...

etc...

etc...

KarlRove

KarlRove

It's ok boards.... One day you will see the light.... Hopefully not the hot one.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

You can't prove that Radio waves exist unless you have a radio...come on Boards....

boards of FL

boards of FL

KarlRove wrote:It's ok boards.... One day you will see the light.... Hopefully not the hot one.

Doubtful.

You subscribe to a myth that is merely one of thousands. All of them can't be right. In fact, they are all very likely wrong as there is absolutely no evidence in support of any of them. In fact, most - yours included - have been shown by science to be factually ignorant of the world around us. And this makes sense when you consider what we knew at the time the books of the bible were written.

But beyond all of that, how lucky were you to have been born in the US and indoctrinated in the precise religion - among thousands - that happens to be the right one? It's miraculous, isn't it?

KarlRove

KarlRove

Stand by and see

KarlRove

KarlRove

by 2seaoat Today at 4:57 am
I am a christian. Why would I be concerned with someone who chooses not to believe in god. It is their personal belief system. It is none of my business.
-----
What sort of Christian doesn't capitalize their own religion? God should be capitalized as well.

2seaoat

God exists because I exist. As an existentialist my free will has faith. My hypothesis is God exists. To date I have neither proved or disproved that hypothesis, accept my faith is strong that I will verify the same in life or death. I am not the least bit threatened by the free will of another to hold the hypothesis that God does not exist, and certainly understand the futility of arguing proofs. Faith by definition is not verified:

strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

2seaoat

What sort of Christian doesn't capitalize their own religion? God should be capitalized as well.

Oh my Bessie.......what sort of Christian comes to church with blue jeans on......Seaoat will be damned to hell.....to think he calls himself a Christian.......there will always be Bessies in the front pew, defining Christianity by the clothes you wear or how you capitalize........god does not sweat a small g.

boards of FL

boards of FL

2seaoat wrote:God exists because I exist.  As an existentialist my free will has faith.  My hypothesis is God exists.  To date I have neither proved or disproved that hypothesis, accept my faith is strong that I will verify the same in life or death.  I am not the least bit threatened by the free will of another to hold the hypothesis that God does not exist, and certainly understand the futility of arguing proofs.   Faith by definition is not verified:

strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

You know, the more and more we know about neuroscience, the less and less it looks like we have free will - as defined by most.

2seaoat

Free will:
the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion.

The argument is certainly valid that chemistry and wiring have input in the power of acting, and that constitutes a constraint, but in the end we still retain the ability to act at our discretion. I choose to act in a faithful way. I think in general that religion may be hardwired to some extent in people....the need to find comfort in something greater, but in the end my discretion remains.

boards of FL

boards of FL

2seaoat wrote:Free will:
the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion.

The argument is certainly valid that chemistry and wiring have input in the power of acting, and that constitutes a constraint, but in the end we still retain the ability to act at our discretion.  I choose to act in a faithful way.  I think in general that religion may be hardwired to some extent in people....the need to find comfort in something greater, but in the end my discretion remains.

The laws of physics apply everywhere, even in the brain.  There is no room for some sort of seemingly random force called "free will" that we simply have no explanation for, just as there is no room for a "rain god" or a "sun god".   We know how the rain and sun work and they are by way of natural processes.  

We can use fMRIs to study people and predict their decisions seconds before they even realize they have made them.  

Just as has been the case with god, the more and more we know about the brain, the less and less there is that is left to be attributed to "free will".  God is no longer needed to explain the rising and setting sun, changes in seasonal weather, etc...  Likewise, free will is needed less and less to explain decision making and brain function.  

Someone could experience some sort of trauma that affects a part of their brain that is thought to be associated with empathy.  As a result, they will feel less empathy.  This isn't a change in free will.  This is a natural process that can be explained by science.  There is no room for morality or personal free will there.  We know how that works. Consciousness emerges from the brain and is entirely dependent upon various brain states, each of which were determined by the previous state, and the previous state, and the previous state....

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yeah beer can overrule free will. Huh ?

2seaoat

To say that free will cannot exist in a brain dead individual is not debated. To say that I do not have free will is debated. To say that my computer absent a processor is unable to communicate on this forum is not debated, but with a working keyboard and processor I am able to participate on this forum. To say that the words I write are confined to the processor and keyboard and the connection to the internet is silly. My words are written independent of the hardware of the computer, or the hardware of my brain, where both can be deficient and eliminate free will in its entirety, but in doing the same the concept of free will stands unblemished, and where there is no diminished capacity it controls.

polecat

polecat

I've seen Jesus play with flames in a lake of fire that I was standing in
Met the devil in Seattle and spent 9 months inside the lions den
Met Buddha yet another time and he showed me a glowing light within
But I swear that God is there every time I glare in the eyes of my best friend
Says my son it's all been done and someday yer gonna wake up old and gray
So go and try to have some fun
showing warmth to everyone
You meet and greet and cheat along the way

Sturgill Simpson

Sponsored content