Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Democrats press Obama to wait on immigration executive action

+4
nadalfan
Sal
knothead
gatorfan
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

gatorfan

I doubt if he cares what the Senate wants or even the people......except of course illegal immigrant activists. Wait and do it right the first time - for once.

"President Obama has a tough decision to make on the timing of an executive order to freeze deportations of illegal immigrants.

Senate Democrats want him to wait to give them time to pass an omnibus spending bill and other legislative priorities in the lame-duck session that is just now ramping up.

But delaying the action, even for a few weeks, could make Obama look weak and inflame immigration advocates who are already furious with him for holding back until after the midterm elections.
“You have growing anxiety amongst the immigrant community that’s losing faith that the president is going to do as he said he would do,” said Brent Wilkes, national executive director of the League of United Latin American Citizens. “I really think he’ll lose support from the Latino community if he continues to wait.”

Complicating the situation further, Obama is being asked to do a favor for Democratic lawmakers at a time when they are casting blame on him for the party’s disastrous showing at the ballot box.

One of the sharpest blows came from Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s (D-Nev.) chief of staff, who excoriated Obama in a story published almost immediately after Democrats lost the Senate.

Obama postponed executive action on immigration reform until after the midterm elections at the behest of Democrats, and immigration advocates say there’s no reason to go that route again.

“Waiting doesn’t make sense,” said Clarissa Martínez-De-Castro, deputy vice president of research, advocacy and legislation at the National Council of La Raza. “This is about millions of American families who’ve been waiting for a very long time for something to be done,” she said.

But Sen. Tom Carper (D-Del.), the chairman of the Homeland Security Committee, which has jurisdiction of the immigration enforcement agencies that would be affected, said Obama should wait until next year.

“If I were the president, what I’d say to the Congress — House, Senate, Democrat or Republican — I’m going to give you a little bit of time and in the new Congress expect you to do something,” he said.

Carper said Obama should set a deadline for congressional action on immigration reform early next year and issue an executive order easing deportations if lawmakers fail to meet it.

“I would say not the first month, maybe the first quarter” of next year, the senator added.

Reid said last week that Obama should hold off until Congress passes a bipartisan omnibus spending bill negotiated by the Senate and House Appropriations committees.

“The president has said he’s going to do the executive action. The question is when. It’s up to him,” Reid said, according to Reuters. “But I’d like to get the finances of this country out of the way before he does it.”

Reid said he told the president of his preference, and the Democratic leader has made passing an omnibus a top priority of his final weeks in control of the Senate agenda.

“There are some members who hope the president waits until the government funding debate concludes in order to increase the chances Congress can pass an omnibus that funds the government at the appropriate levels through the fiscal year, as opposed to the Republican plan to pass a short-term CR [continuing resolution] that sets up brinksmanship early next year,” said a senior Democratic aide.

Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), a close Reid ally and chairwoman of the Senate Appropriations panel, has spent months crafting the omnibus and is “laser-focused” on keeping it on track, according to another Democratic aide.

Republican leaders want to pass an omnibus package to “clear the decks” for 2015 and give them a chance to start next year’s budget and appropriations process with a clean slate, according to a senior GOP aide.

A presidential order freezing deportations, however, threatens to derail the omnibus, the aide said, and would make it tougher to pass other bills and confirm dozens of backlogged nominees.

“It really has a negative effect on everything,” said the aide. “Here you have a newly elected Republican majority in the Senate and expanded majority in the House that want to work in the center to do something big for the country and it seems Obama is rejecting the idea of finding common ground.”

House Republicans are now talking about moving a short-term funding measure that would expire early next year. That would give them a chance to pass another government funding bill next year that would prohibit the expenditure of funds on work permits and processing applications for immigrants covered by the order.

“The president is going to do an executive action on deportations, so Republicans shouldn’t pass an omnibus unless it includes language blocking an executive amnesty,” said a conservative Republican aide. “That’s why Republicans are increasingly of the mind that a short-term CR is the way to go.”

But pro-immigrant advocacy groups warn a delay of even a few weeks would hurt thousands of families.

“Every day that there’s no executive action over 1,000 families lose a loved one to deportation,” said Lynn Tramonte, deputy director at America’s Voice, a group that supports full labor, civil and political rights for immigrants. “It was not acceptable for them to delay this summer, this fall and certainly it would not be acceptable for them to delay any further.”

Senate Democratic leaders sent Obama a letter Monday urging him to issue an order easing deportations but it omitted a deadline for action.

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, told “Fox News Sunday” that the timing of executive action “could be negotiable.”

Obama said over the weekend that he would not let GOP talk of blocking a government funding bill dissuade him from fulfilling his long-awaited promise to help keep illegal immigrants united with their families.

“I take Mitch McConnell at his word when he says that the government is not going to shut down,” he said of the incoming Senate leader."

Justin Sink contributed.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/224473-dems-press-obama-to-wait-on-immigration

knothead

knothead

No surprises here for me at all gator . . . . it is all political brinkmanship from every corner beginning with Obama. Legitimate questions could be posed to both Reid and Boehner . . . . a bipartisan immigration bill has been passed but Speaker Boehner refuses to bring up for a vote so here we are. Obama is being taunted by the GOP leadership warning of dire consequences if he takes limited executive action even though they have the power to act but won't. If Obama believes the GOP majority will make his life any easier if he capitulates then he is deceiving himself completely . . . why would they cooperate now since they have obstructed him at every turn for the past 5 1/2 years . . . .? Goodness gracious! I was one who was actually naive enough to believe that things would all become all warm and fuzzy . . . . silly me!

gatorfan

knothead wrote:No surprises here for me at all gator . . . . it is all political brinkmanship from every corner beginning with Obama.  Legitimate questions could be posed to both Reid and Boehner . . . . a bipartisan immigration bill has been passed but Speaker Boehner refuses to bring up for a vote so here we are.  Obama is being taunted by the GOP leadership warning of dire consequences if he takes limited executive action even though they have the power to act but won't.  If Obama believes the GOP majority will make his life any easier if he capitulates then he is deceiving himself completely .  . . why would they cooperate now since they have obstructed him at every turn for the past 5 1/2 years . . . .?  Goodness gracious! I was one who was actually naive enough to believe that things would all become all warm and fuzzy . . . . silly me!

It appears Obama is the spoiler in this case since both sides want to work together to get spending bills done etc before proceeding on immigration. When heavy hitter Democrats are saying "let us get these things done" and work on immigration next what is Obamas motivation to doing another end run? To please immigration advocates? He's not able to run again so it's very puzzling why he would want to poison the well over an issue that's been around for so many years already. What's a few more months?

Sal

Sal

Poison the well, my ass.

The Repukes have been non-stop pissing in the well for going on six years.

The President made a promise, and he's going to keep it.

If the Repukes want to shut down the government over it, we'll just see how that works out for them.

“[T]here’s no denying that many blacks share the same anxieties as many whites about the wave of illegal immigration flooding our Southern border—a sense that what’s happening now is fundamentally different from what has gone on before,” then-Senator Obama wrote in his 2006 autobiography,“The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream.”

”Not all these fears are irrational,”

“The number of immigrants added to the labor force every year is of a magnitude not seen in this country for over a century,” Obama noted. “If this huge influx of mostly low-skill workers provides some benefits to the economy as a whole—especially by keeping our workforce young,in contrast to an increasingly geriatric Europe and Japan—it also threatens to depress further the wages of blue-collar Americans and put strains on an already overburdened safety net.”

“Native-born Americans suspect that it is they,and not the immigrant,who are being forced to adapt” to social changes caused by migration."

“And if I’m honest with myself,I must admit that I’m not entirely immune to such nativist sentiments,” Obama wrote. “When I see Mexican flags waved at pro-immigration demonstrations,I sometimes feel a flush of patriotic resentment. When I’m forced to use a translator to communicate with the guy fixing my car,I feel a certain frustration.”

Obama 2006

gatorfan

Sal wrote:Poison the well, my ass.

If the Repukes want to shut down the government over it, we'll just see how that works out for them.

To benefit who?

The Dumbocrats must carry as much of the dysfunctional burden as the Repubes over the inertia of the last few years.

Yeah, Dem and Rep's are saying we want to do this and they should but Obama wants to do an end run - to salvage his missing legacy perhaps? What a political farce......

And you eat it with a spoon.

nadalfan

Why won't Boehner allow the House to vote on the Immigration bill that passed in the Senate over a year ago

http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/fixgov/posts/2014/08/04-immigration-tea-party-constituencies-parker

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/eugene-robinson-boehners-immigration-inertia-forces-obama-to-act/2014/11/17/06ad7b02-6e75-11e4-ad12-3734c461eab6_story.html

Sal

Sal

gatorfan wrote:
To benefit who?

Millions of people who are just as American as you or I.

The Dumbocrats must carry as much of the dysfunctional burden as the Repubes over the inertia of the last few years.

No.

Yeah, Dem and Rep's are saying we want to do this and they should

Then do it, damn it.

Do it before Obama signs an executive order, or after Obama signs an executive order.

Just fucking do it.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

gatorfan wrote:
knothead wrote:No surprises here for me at all gator . . . . it is all political brinkmanship from every corner beginning with Obama.  Legitimate questions could be posed to both Reid and Boehner . . . . a bipartisan immigration bill has been passed but Speaker Boehner refuses to bring up for a vote so here we are.  Obama is being taunted by the GOP leadership warning of dire consequences if he takes limited executive action even though they have the power to act but won't.  If Obama believes the GOP majority will make his life any easier if he capitulates then he is deceiving himself completely .  . . why would they cooperate now since they have obstructed him at every turn for the past 5 1/2 years . . . .?  Goodness gracious! I was one who was actually naive enough to believe that things would all become all warm and fuzzy . . . . silly me!

It appears Obama is the spoiler in this case since both sides want to work together to get spending bills done etc before proceeding on immigration. When heavy hitter Democrats are saying "let us get these things done" and work on immigration next what is Obamas motivation to doing another end run? To please immigration advocates? He's not able to run again so it's very puzzling why he would want to poison the well over an issue that's been around for so many years already. What's a few more months?

"Poison the well"....ahhhh, what bull. He should go ahead. A little bird told me that the GOP will use every means available to thwart the President, just as they have done for his entire term of office.

"...take Mitch McConnell at his word..." - now there's a laugh. Here's another one, "...both sides want to work together..." In what universe?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

gatorfan wrote:

To benefit who?

Yeah, Dem and Rep's are saying we want to do this and they should but Obama wants to do an end run - to salvage his missing legacy perhaps? What a political farce......

When the GOP allowed the government to shut down and tried to hold the economy hostage to their agenda, they lost all credibility. Don't even try to pin the blame for the shutdowns and the sequester on the President or the Democrats. That's just lame.

gatorfan

Floridatexan wrote:
gatorfan wrote:

To benefit who?

When the GOP allowed the government to shut down and tried to hold the economy hostage to their agenda, they lost all credibility.  Don't even try to pin the blame for the shutdowns and the sequester on the President or the Democrats.  That's just lame.

I blame all of them, to do otherwise is just lame.

I read through the Senate proposal and found it kind of complicated because of all the "triggers" that have to happen but otherwise it's a pretty solid bill. Bonehead Boehner knew he couldn't advance it in the House because of the Tea Bangers.

He should do so now and let the useless Tea Bangers screech and holler.

My point is Obama should not go it alone - there are MANY things in the bill (even if it doesn't change in the House) that will require major funding and state involvement. Let Congress do the job they say they want to, if there is no action in a few months then do an EA to force their hand.

Instead of making threats on the level of Bonehead, Obama should be getting the Senate and House leaders together to resolve this.

Sal

Sal

gatorfan wrote:
Instead of making threats on the level of Bonehead, Obama should be getting the Senate and House leaders together to resolve this.

Democrats press Obama to wait on immigration executive action Large-418209-image

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

gatorfan wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
gatorfan wrote:

To benefit who?

When the GOP allowed the government to shut down and tried to hold the economy hostage to their agenda, they lost all credibility.  Don't even try to pin the blame for the shutdowns and the sequester on the President or the Democrats.  That's just lame.

I blame all of them, to do otherwise is just lame.

I read through the Senate proposal and found it kind of complicated because of all the "triggers" that have to happen but otherwise it's a pretty solid bill. Bonehead Boehner knew he couldn't advance it in the House because of the Tea Bangers.

He should do so now and let the useless Tea Bangers screech and holler.

My point is Obama should not go it alone - there are MANY things in the bill (even if it doesn't change in the House) that will require major funding and state involvement. Let Congress do the job they say they want to, if there is no action in a few months then do an EA to force their hand.

Riiiight...because that bipartisanship thingy has worked so well in the past.

The ndaa was bipartisan... come to think of it so was the patriot act. Yea team..!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Defense_Authorization_Act

Democrats press Obama to wait on immigration executive action Th?id=HN.608004353994327287&w=78&h=164&c=7&rs=1&pid=1

So long as any amnesty agreement allows ten legal immigrants to come to the United States, and half of them will be from SE Asia, for every amnesty granted I have no problem.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diOuUYcenW0

Smile

Markle

Markle

Democrats press Obama to wait on immigration executive action LieoftheYear

“[T]here’s no denying that many blacks share the same anxieties as many whites about the wave of illegal immigration flooding our Southern border—a sense that what’s happening now is fundamentally different from what has gone on before,”

”Not all these fears are irrational,”

“The number of immigrants added to the labor force every year is of a magnitude not seen in this country for over a century,” Obama noted. “If this huge influx of mostly low-skill workers provides some benefits to the economy as a whole —especially by keeping our workforce young,in contrast to an increasingly geriatric Europe and Japan—it also threatens to depress further the wages of blue-collar Americans and put strains on an already overburdened safety net.”

“Native-born Americans suspect that it is they,and not the immigrant,who are being forced to adapt” to social changes caused by migration."

“And if I’m honest with myself,I must admit that I’m not entirely immune to such nativist sentiments,” Obama wrote. “When I see Mexican flags waved at pro-immigration demonstrations,I sometimes feel a flush of patriotic resentment. When I’m forced to use a translator to communicate with the guy fixing my car,I feel a certain frustration.”

Obama 2006

United States Presidents issue executive orders to help officers and agencies of the executive branch manage the operations within the federal government itself. Executive orders have the full force of law[1] when they take authority from a power granted directly to the Executive by the Constitution, or are made in pursuance of certain Acts of Congress that explicitly delegate to the President some degree of discretionary power (delegated legislation). Like both legislative statutes and regulations promulgated by government agencies, executive orders are subject to judicial review, and may be struck down if deemed by the courts to be unsupported by statute or the Constitution.

Let him try it. Its not constitutional and there will be hell to pay.

Vikingwoman

You're telling a constitutional lawyer that w/ your 2 yr. degree? LOL!

Vikingwoman wrote:You're telling a constitutional lawyer that w/ your 2 yr. degree? LOL!

"Well, first of all, temporary protective status historically has been used for special circumstances where you have immigrants to this country who are fleeing persecution in their countries, or there is some emergency situation in their native land that required them to come to the United States. So it would not be appropriate to use that just for a particular group that came here primarily, for example, because they were looking for economic opportunity.

With respect to the notion that I can just suspend deportations through executive order, that’s just not the case, because there are laws on the books that Congress has passed — and I know that everybody here at Bell is studying hard so you know that we’ve got three branches of government. Congress passes the law. The executive branch’s job is to enforce and implement those laws. And then the judiciary has to interpret the laws."

Obama 3/28/11

Vikingwoman wrote:You're telling a constitutional lawyer that w/ your 2 yr. degree? LOL!

Still talking about my resume I see. hmmmmmmmmmmm I guess that's what cunts do. A cunt that just cant shut up when asked to by a moderator.

anyway....

Krauthammer added that Obama's plans to shield certain undocumented immigrants from deportation via executive order would be a "flagrant assault on the Constitution."
http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/14/politics/charles-krauthammer-obama-immigration-action-impeachable/

There are even people on the left who say its going to be a constitutional showdown.

PkrBum wrote:

"Well, first of all, temporary protective status historically has been used for special circumstances where you have immigrants to this country who are fleeing persecution in their countries, or there is some emergency situation in their native land that required them to come to the United States. So it would not be appropriate to use that just for a particular group that came here primarily, for example, because they were looking for economic opportunity.

With respect to the notion that I can just suspend deportations through executive order, that’s just not the case, because there are laws on the books that Congress has passed — and I know that everybody here at Bell is studying hard so you know that we’ve got three branches of government. Congress passes the law. The executive branch’s job is to enforce and implement those laws. And then the judiciary has to interpret the laws."

Obama 3/28/11

well, there you go.

Vikingwoman

Chrissy wrote:

Still talking about my resume I see. hmmmmmmmmmmm I guess that's what cunts do. A cunt that just cant shut up when asked to by a moderator.

anyway....

Krauthammer added that Obama's plans to shield certain undocumented immigrants from deportation via executive order would be a "flagrant assault on the Constitution."
http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/14/politics/charles-krauthammer-obama-immigration-action-impeachable/

There are even people on the left who say its going to be a constitutional showdown.

Yeah I can talk about anything that's public record on the internet. LOL! Seems to me you were told to shut up too. Joani's not a real moderator anyway. She's just a snitch to the moderator.

2seaoat

You cannot handicap stupidity.......if President Obama defers deportations he is doing an unconstitutional act........it is just mind numbing stupidity, and to answer the question why will he proceed, because it is the right and just thing to do for families in this country, as did President Reagan and President Bush before him......they used executive orders to do the right thing.

Perhaps the most striking historical parallel to today's immigration challenges is the "Family Fairness" policy implemented by Presidents Ronald Reagan and George Bush, Sr. The story behind the fairness policy begins on November 6, 1986, when President Reagan signed the 1986 Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), which gave up to 3 million unauthorized immigrants a path to legalization if they had been "continuously" present in the U.S. since January 1, 1982. But the new law excluded their spouses and children who didn't qualify and forced them to wait in line, creating "split-eligibility" families, as they were called. The U.S. Catholic bishops and immigration groups criticized President Reagan for separating families.

In 1987, Reagan's Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) commissioner announced a blanket deferral of deportation (logistically similar to today's DACA program) for children under 18 who were living in a two-parent household with both parents legalizing, or with a single parent who was legalizing. Then, in July 1989, the Senate passed legislation to protect a bigger group -- prohibiting deportation of all spouses and children of those who were legalizing under IRCA.

But the legislation stalled in the House, and in 1990 President Bush Sr. administratively implemented the Senate bill's provisions. His INS commissioner, saying "We can enforce the law humanely," expanded the blanket deferral to as many as 1.5 million spouses and children of immigrants who were legalizing, provided they met certain criteria. President Bush thus protected over 40 percent of the then-unauthorized population from deportation. The House then passed legislation, and President Bush signed it later that year. ["Executive Grants of Temporary Immigration Relief, 1956-Present," American Immigration Council, October 2014]

http://mediamatters.org/research/2014/11/13/right-wing-media-wrong-about-the-legality-of-th/201553#republicans

Vikingwoman

Chrissy wrote:
Vikingwoman wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

anyway....

Yeah I can talk about anything that's public record on the internet. LOL! Seems to me you were told to shut up too. Joani's not a real moderator anyway. She's just a snitch to the moderator.

OK. I can play that. Its public info right? Shall I post some public info about you?

BTW. I didn't say anything to you. you started it with me again. just so it is CLEAR for you CUNT.

Sure you can post public info. about me but I don't think you want to match me w/ your public info.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum