Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Obama's Disastrous Iraq Policy: An Autopsy"

+7
Markle
ZVUGKTUBM
Floridatexan
Sal
boards of FL
Joanimaroni
gatorfan
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

gatorfan

I would have titled the article “How not to end a war”; hopefully the same mistake won’t be made in Afghanistan but unfortunately that cesspool will probably never be stable enough to last even 6 months on their own.

BY: PETER BEINART

The president ignored the country and its increasingly dictatorial prime minister for years.

Yes, the Iraq War was a disaster of historic proportions. Yes, seeing its architects return to prime time to smugly slam President Obama while taking no responsibility for their own, far greater, failures is infuriating.

But sooner or later, honest liberals will have to admit that Obama’s Iraq policy has been a disaster. Since the president took office, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has grown ever more tyrannical and ever more sectarian, driving his country’s Sunnis toward revolt.

Since Obama took office, Iraq watchers—including those within his own administration—have warned that unless the United States pushed hard for inclusive government, the country would slide back into civil war. Yet the White House has been so eager to put Iraq in America’s rearview mirror that, publicly at least, it has given Maliki an almost-free pass. Until now, when it may be too late.
……
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/06/obamas-disastrous-iraq-policy-an-autopsy/373225/

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Good post.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Republicans criticizing others about Iraq policy.

Say that out loud a few times.

gatorfan

boards of FL wrote:Republicans criticizing others about Iraq policy.

Did you read the article? Or even the 1st few lines? It was a fair assessment and both sides got slammed. As they should be. The beginning was a mistake of epic proportions and so was the end. Stalemate on blame. Question is, what can be done to salvage the results? Ridding the place of Maliki has my vote.

Sal

Sal

For the most part, the President has resisted efforts to get more involved militarily in the region, and he's wriggled out of numerous traps or opted for minimalist approaches where some action seemed necessary.

The alternative to the President's approach would be for him to falsely claim to have a solution, and squander more lives and treasure in a doomed endeavor.

You can thank Dubya and Cheney for kicking the hornet's nest, but for the moment it's solely Obama's problem.

That won't be the case for much longer, as the campaigns for 2016 will get under way in earnest, and we'll see that the Republicans have no solutions either ....

.... because, there is no solution from our end.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

gatorfan wrote:

Did you read the article? Or even the 1st few lines? It was a fair assessment and both sides got slammed. As they should be. The beginning was a mistake of epic proportions and so was the end. Stalemate on blame. Question is, what can be done to salvage the results? Ridding the place of Maliki has my vote.

Sorry...there is no stalemate on blame. The sectarian atmosphere existed long before Bush "the decider" lied us into war in Iraq. I knew it then for a classic bait & switch...how is it that so few saw through Bush's lies? You only have to look at WHO PROFITED.

gatorfan

Floridatexan wrote:
gatorfan wrote:

Sorry...there is no stalemate on blame.  The sectarian atmosphere existed long before Bush "the decider" lied us into war in Iraq.  I knew it then for a classic bait & switch...how is it that so few saw through Bush's lies?  You only have to look at WHO PROFITED.  

Hmmmm. You must have been awfully lonely, a voice in the wilderness on this subject. Many other politicians (and nations) stated otherwise, supposedly they enjoyed access to information not available to the plebian masses. Saddam was a magician and played the world for fools, including the U.S.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/wmdquotes.asp

Sal

Sal

There were ways of containing Saddam short of full on invasion and occupation.

That's where the pooch was royally screwed.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

gatorfan wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
gatorfan wrote:

Sorry...there is no stalemate on blame.  The sectarian atmosphere existed long before Bush "the decider" lied us into war in Iraq.  I knew it then for a classic bait & switch...how is it that so few saw through Bush's lies?  You only have to look at WHO PROFITED.  

Hmmmm. You must have been awfully lonely, a voice in the wilderness on this subject. Many other politicians (and nations) stated otherwise, supposedly they enjoyed access to information not available to the plebian masses. Saddam was a magician and played the world for fools, including the U.S.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/wmdquotes.asp

You're right...I often feel exactly like a "voice in the wilderness". Kipling said it probably better than anyone. "Stand your ground" means something different to me. It means staying with your principles no matter what the opposition. In the end, integrity is all a person has.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Sal wrote:There were ways of containing Saddam short of full on invasion and occupation.

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

gatorfan

Sal wrote:There were ways of containing Saddam short of full on invasion and occupation.

Yep, and Bush disbanding the entire Iraqi Army was another BIG mistake. Sadamm Insane was a totalitarian freak but he kept Iran off balance. Better the devil you know......

Markle

Markle

"Could Be One of the Great Achievements of This Administration" The vice president said he’d been to Iraq 17 times and visits the country every three months or so. "I know every one of the major players in all the segments of that society" he said. "It's impressed me. I've been impressed how they have been deciding to use the political process rather than guns to settle their differences."
- Vice President Joe Biden (D) Feb. 10, 2010

How has the war President Barack Hussein Obama said we SHOULD have been fighting going? How is the Middle East going now that President Obama is President? Oh, Afghanistan just crossed 2,330 American fatalities. Seventy percent of whom died since President Obama took office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Is45Jwqizc

And now the Obama administration wants to TAKE CREDIT for the Iraq war…whew….

Markle

Markle

President Barack Hussein Obama's massive ego and arrogance refused to follow the policy set forth by President Bush nor that of his own advising generals.

Now one of the most violent, brutal Islamic terrorist groups are taking over the country and the country is collapsing into civil war. Just what was forecast by President Bush as well as President Obama's military advisers.

We told you so!

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:

President Barack Hussein Obama's massive ego and arrogance refused to follow the policy set forth by President Bush nor that of his own advising generals.

Now one of the most violent, brutal Islamic terrorist groups are taking over the country and the country is collapsing into civil war.  Just what was forecast by President Bush as well as President Obama's military advisers.

We told you so!
"Obama's Disastrous Iraq Policy: An Autopsy" Balone13

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

There certainly was no stalemate of blame. The war was won in five weeks. The occupation was lost from day one. Whoever ended the occupation was not at fault. What expert thinks that continued occupation was ever in America's best interest. With our oil and Natural gas production reaching records, the potential for disruption in the oil markets may even help this nation.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:There certainly was no stalemate of blame.   The war was won in five weeks.  The occupation was lost from day one.  Whoever ended the occupation was not at fault. What expert thinks that continued occupation was ever in America's best interest.   With our oil and Natural gas production reaching records, the potential for disruption in the oil markets may even help this nation.

"Obama's Disastrous Iraq Policy: An Autopsy" AnimatedLaughterPink

NOT in our best interest? How's that working out?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

cheers cheers cheers 

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The only viable alternative was McCain and Palin.  
And if that happened,  that effeminate cracker chickenhawk senator from south carolina would be the secdef.  John Bolton would be the secretary of state.
And instead of borrowing trillions to hand out welfare, we'd be borrowing trillions to play out their GI Joe fantasies.
And either way the Wall Street banksters would be getting richer.

It's all wrastlin.  Except the tickets cost us a lot more.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:

Now one of the most violent, brutal Islamic terrorist groups are taking over the country and the country is collapsing into civil war.  Just what was forecast by President Bush as well as President Obama's military advisers.

We told you so!

That's not what's whacko Herr Markle. What's whacko is your asinine contention that we need to occupy Iraq forever to prevent sectarian conflict that has gone on for centuries, and that the costs would be worth the effort. That's TRULY insane!

2seaoat

That's not what's whacko Herr Markle. What's whacko is your asinine contention that we need to occupy Iraq forever to prevent sectarian conflict that has gone on for centuries, and that the costs would be worth the effort. That's TRULY insane!

What is worse is the outright lie he told telling us that President Obama said "We won the war in Iraq"......it is one thing to have a difference of opinion with the President, but to make chit up because he is showing leadership and hitting home run after home run in foreign policy.......well that goes past insanity......it is evil.........when I ask him to produce a transcript of those words.....he runs away in his usual fashion.

2seaoat wrote:That's not what's whacko Herr Markle. What's whacko is your asinine contention that we need to occupy Iraq forever to prevent sectarian conflict that has gone on for centuries, and that the costs would be worth the effort. That's TRULY insane!

What is worse is the outright lie he told telling us that President Obama said "We won the war in Iraq"......it is one thing to have a difference of opinion with the President, but to make chit up because he is showing leadership and hitting home run after home run in foreign policy.......well that goes past insanity......it is evil.........when I ask him to produce a transcript of those words.....he runs away in his usual fashion.

You constantly assign positions and paradigms to me and others here... and can't produce the same.

Example: The male mosquito thread most recently.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum