Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Regenerative Organic Agriculture

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://www.onlyorganic.org/the-solution-to-climate-change-organic-agriculture

The solution to climate change? Organic agriculture!

A new white paper from the Rodale Institute estimates that if all crop and pastureland across the world was converted to regenerative organic agriculture it could sequester over 100 percent of our annual carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions, virtually zeroing out the world’s yearly CO2 emissions.

Healthy soil naturally retains photosynthesized CO2 instead of releasing it back into the atmosphere, where it contributes to the rising levels of greenhouse gases, which drive climate change. Unfortunately, contemporary farming has drastically reduced the health of soil.

Is there a example that compares crop output of organic farms to what we consider now traditional high producing farms? because I believe and I could be wrong that organic produces less.

Also I recall many years ago visiting family members in Ga, that crops were rotated every year, is this still not a practice?

My concern with this article is that it is targeting our food source.

I prefer organic, its expensive though.

This idea would be great health wise for the few who could continue to afford food.

2seaoat

Clover was historically rotated between beans and corn. However, a farmer today can increase their income and productivity by over thirty percent by using ferilizers and seed design which excels in a two crop rotation. Nice fantasy post. See how our world would look with thirty percent reductions in crops, and billions lost in agricultural income. It is much more cost effective to reduce carbon pollution and switch from coal to natural gas, and if the government wants to give subsidy to farmers to rotate as a national goal of returning carbon to the soil.......it makes as much sense as the ethanol subsidy.

The man made climate change theory is bs

but if they want to use it to go back to organic farming its a better choice because organic food is much more healthier. however the downfall is its production is less and food prices would sky rocket even if farms were subsidized just because supply and demand would kick in.

This thread reminds me of Monsanto. And apparently seaoat is in favor of "seed design".

2seaoat

This thread reminds me of Monsanto. And apparently seaoat is in favor of "seed design".

Man has been using seed design for a thousand years. I took an eighth grade field trip to a seed design location, and in 1965 they were selecting and planting seeds which achieved certain goals.........that process continues today with results which exceed our wildest dreams in 1965. Farmers are getting remarkable yields, and the world population has food sources.

2seaoat wrote:This thread reminds me of Monsanto. And apparently seaoat is in favor of "seed design".

Man has been using seed design for a thousand years.  I took an eighth grade field trip to a seed design location, and in 1965 they were selecting and planting seeds which achieved certain goals.........that process continues today with results which exceed our wildest dreams in 1965.  Farmers are getting remarkable yields, and the world population has food sources.

please show a link to your claim that man has been using genetically modified seed for a thousand years.

thanks

2seaoat

please show a link to your claim that man has been using genetically modified seed for a thousand years.

thanks

Comprehension is not your strong point. For a thousand years farmers have been selecting the strongest seeds and planting them to achieve a desired result. The seed facility we visited they were selecting seed by drought resistance and yield. Current genetic modifications are just a continuation on the process. How tall do you think the original corn stalk was? When I was a kid they would always say knee high by the fourth of july......now on June 15th corn is knee high. In 1970 a farmer getting 100 bushel an acre was doing good......today a farmer can get 200 bushels in a dry year. The American agricultural miracle feeds the world, and it has been our huge success in seed selection which has contributed to our boom, and all but elimination of world hunger despite historic growths in human population.

2seaoat wrote:please show a link to your claim that man has been using genetically modified seed for a thousand years.

thanks

Comprehension is not your strong point.  For a thousand years farmers have been selecting the strongest seeds and planting them to achieve a desired result.  The seed facility we visited they were selecting seed by drought resistance and yield.   Current genetic modifications are just a continuation on the process.  How tall do you think the original corn stalk was?  When I was a kid they would always say knee high by the fourth of july......now on June 15th corn is knee high.  In 1970 a farmer getting 100 bushel an acre was doing good......today a farmer can get 200 bushels in a dry year.  The American agricultural miracle feeds the world, and it has been our huge success in seed selection which has contributed to our boom, and all but elimination of world hunger despite historic growths in human population.

Actually it's you who lacks comprehension skills.

I gave you two points, one sentence. Monsanto and seed design. Apparently you lack the skills required to have connected those dots, which should have been obvious to anyone with a average IQ.

And anyone who can compare picking out the strongest seed to having scientist GENETICALLY MODIFY them is well, a little naïve to put it nicely.  Rolling Eyes 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum