Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Michigan Loses "right to farm" chickens, rabbits, bee hives...

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://www.inquisitr.com/1235774/michigan-loses-right-to-farm-this-week-a-farewell-to-backyard-chickens-and-beekeepers/

Michigan residents lost their “right to farm” this week thanks to a new ruling by the Michigan Commission of Agriculture and Rural Development. Gail Philburn of the Michigan Sierra Club told Michigan Live, the new changes “effectively remove Right to Farm Act protection for many urban and suburban backyard farmers raising small numbers of animals.” Backyard and urban farming were previously protected by Michigan’s Right to Farm Act. The Commission ruled that the Right to Farm Act protections no longer apply to many homeowners who keep small numbers of livestock.

Kim White, who raises chickens and rabbits, said, “They don’t want us little guys feeding ourselves. They want us to go all to the big farms. They want to do away with small farms and I believe that is what’s motivating it.” The ruling will allow local governments to arbitrarily ban goats, chickens and beehives on any property where there are 13 homes within one eighth mile or a residence within 250 feet of the property, according to Michigan Public Radio. The Right to Farm Act was created in 1981 to protect farmers from the complaints of people from the city who moved to the country and then attempted to make it more urban with anti-farming ordinances. The new changes affect residents of rural Michigan too. It is not simply an urban or suburban concern.

Is it anywhere at all? Seems a little stiff. Ive never been to Michigan so I don't know the land scape.

I think people who live in areas where they have a reasonable size yard should be able to grow or have animals on it. I'm not sure what reasonable would be. I know growing up we had a chicken coup in the back of the house and we lived pretty close to people, that damn thing stunk to high heaven.

I don't like seeing excessive laws for people trying to grow/raise their own food, but I admit concessions would have to be made in the suburbs so Im not sure this law effects the suburbs or people living in the countryside. If it effects people living in the countryside, then what a bunch of assholes and I hope the people protest.

2seaoat

13 homes within 700 feet seems pretty urban to me, and having grown up around an Uncle who was a chicken farmer and drove a truck collecting all the chickens and delivering them to the birmingham processing plant, I can tell you I do not want to live next to a chicken farm. However, I do not like blanket rules without a bit more flexibility for property owners. Arbitrary constructive condemnation of people's property is wrong. My Mother grew up in North Birmingham in an urban environment with many more than 13 homes within 700 feet and they raised a few chickens and had fruit trees, green house and a huge garden......but the depression taught people how to survive.

agreed. people need to protest this somehow.

I just came outside and Im trying to visualize 700 feet, seems reasonable for most things.

Im just being honest because as far as chicken houses go, im biased and wouldn't want one right next door to me. That may be unfair of me but im willing to say we need to be considerate of allowing areas to grow and provide food for themselves if they choose to. I think no property should be denied of having a garden, even in the suburbs.

I do not like the idea that people are being forced more and more to only purchase from large growers/producers. The price is high and the quality is less nutrients, but more importantly less and less people don't know how to feed themselves, can, grow, store etc

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

I did not see any numbers. Does this mean someone could not even have two chickens in their yard? What if someone has one pet goat?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum