Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Medicare & ACA

3 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Medicare & ACA - Page 2 Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 8:45 pm

dumpcare

QueenOfHearts wrote:
ppaca wrote:
QueenOfHearts wrote:I am posting this thread in Politics because I am pretty certain it will turn into a political discussion.  I swear by all that is holy, that is not my intent.  I am just looking for information.

My elderly uncle has Medicare and Part D through Blue Cross.  He has a prescription plan which I believe is part of the Part D.   His medical bills are usually covered 100%, except for his prescriptions.  Depending on what stage he is in, he often has a $600 a month co-pay (or non-covered) for his medications. Alzheimer's medications are very expensive.

Hospice is admitting him because he is in end-stage Alzheimer's.  Starting May 1st, "due to Obamacare," Medicare will now ONLY pay for services and medications related to the Alzheimer's.  Hospice has to give one life-threatening diagnosis, and in his case it will be Alzheimer's.   Under these changes, if my Uncle had severe rheumatoid arthritis and needed medication for pain, Medicare (and therefore Part D) will no longer cover anything related to the rheumatoid arthritis.  This would apply to any and all other medical issues not related to the Alzheimer's.  It will work the same no matter the diagnosis.

My question:  Why is Medicare changing due to the ACA?  It was my understanding that once you're eligible for Medicare, you're no longer eligible for Obamacare.  What does one have to do with the other???

First off how many insurance cards does he have and what do they say? If he is admitted to the hospital part D is not used.

He has two cards.  One is a Medicare card and the other is a Blue Cross Blue Shield card.  Hospice is telling me that Medicare is no longer going to cover anything that is not related to their diagnosis, Alzheimer's.  The nurse telling me said it was effective May 1st "due to Obamacare."

Does his BC card say something like BlueMedicare Regional PPO? If so you need to quit showing his Medicare (red,white and blue) card when dealing with doctor's and hospitals. Just show them the one BC card. If this is all the case hospice is running his Medicare card and Medicare is saying they are not covering, they are not. Once you are on a Medicare Advantage you never show your Medicare card just the insurance card. Yes, Medicare Advantage would cover hospice and so would Medicare if he did not have Medicare Advantage. You are in Florida?

27Medicare & ACA - Page 2 Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 10:57 pm

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Smile
QueenOfHearts wrote:
ppaca wrote:
QueenOfHearts wrote:I am posting this thread in Politics because I am pretty certain it will turn into a political discussion.  I swear by all that is holy, that is not my intent.  I am just looking for information.

My elderly uncle has Medicare and Part D through Blue Cross.  He has a prescription plan which I believe is part of the Part D.   His medical bills are usually covered 100%, except for his prescriptions.  Depending on what stage he is in, he often has a $600 a month co-pay (or non-covered) for his medications. Alzheimer's medications are very expensive.

Hospice is admitting him because he is in end-stage Alzheimer's.  Starting May 1st, "due to Obamacare," Medicare will now ONLY pay for services and medications related to the Alzheimer's.  Hospice has to give one life-threatening diagnosis, and in his case it will be Alzheimer's.   Under these changes, if my Uncle had severe rheumatoid arthritis and needed medication for pain, Medicare (and therefore Part D) will no longer cover anything related to the rheumatoid arthritis.  This would apply to any and all other medical issues not related to the Alzheimer's.  It will work the same no matter the diagnosis.

My question:  Why is Medicare changing due to the ACA?  It was my understanding that once you're eligible for Medicare, you're no longer eligible for Obamacare.  What does one have to do with the other???

First off how many insurance cards does he have and what do they say? If he is admitted to the hospital part D is not used.

He has two cards.  One is a Medicare card and the other is a Blue Cross Blue Shield card.  Hospice is telling me that Medicare is no longer going to cover anything that is not related to their diagnosis, Alzheimer's.  The nurse telling me said it was effective May 1st "due to Obamacare."

Im curious. did you vote for Obama?

No, I did not. I'm racist.  Rolling Eyes 

28Medicare & ACA - Page 2 Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 11:01 pm

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

OK, I talked to the Hospice nurse again tonight. She clarified that Medicare will no longer be paying for medications unless they are needed due to his Alzheimer's. They will still pay for the doctor/hospital services for things that are not related to Alzheimer's, but they would no longer pay for other medications. She said I will have to make a decision to pay for it or let him go without the medication. This won't be such a problem for me (him), but I could see how it could be a bad situation for others. She did confirm that these are changes due to the ACA.

Thanks everyone for your help. I had no idea that Medicare would be affected by the ACA.

29Medicare & ACA - Page 2 Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 11:56 pm

I believe that's false what that nurse is saying and makes no sense whatsoever. Medicare pays for prescriptions for everyone else.

http://www.medicare.gov/about-us/affordable-care-act/affordable-care-act.html

30Medicare & ACA - Page 2 Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/20/2014, 12:03 am

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Dreamsglore wrote:I believe that's false what that nurse is saying and makes no sense whatsoever. Medicare pays for prescriptions for everyone else.

But it is changing and it has to do with Hospice becoming involved. When I talk to them again I will try to remember to get a cite as to the new rule.

They don't have any reason to be lying to me. They said there are a lot of things that are changing for them (Hospice) because of the ACA.

31Medicare & ACA - Page 2 Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/20/2014, 12:20 am

QueenOfHearts wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:I believe that's false what that nurse is saying and makes no sense whatsoever. Medicare pays for prescriptions for everyone else.

But it is changing and it has to do with Hospice becoming involved.  When I talk to them again I will try to remember to get a cite as to the new rule.  

They don't have any reason to be lying to me.  They said there are a lot of things that are changing for them (Hospice) because of the ACA.

There is a medicare special needs plan for chronic and disabling conditions. They may not be in the network. I would talk to medicare.

32Medicare & ACA - Page 2 Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/21/2014, 10:27 am

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Dreamsglore wrote:
QueenOfHearts wrote:

But it is changing and it has to do with Hospice becoming involved.  When I talk to them again I will try to remember to get a cite as to the new rule.  

They don't have any reason to be lying to me.  They said there are a lot of things that are changing for them (Hospice) because of the ACA.

There is a medicare special needs plan for chronic and disabling conditions. They may not be in the network. I would talk to medicare.

I'm thinking this may be a network issue too, Dreams.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum