Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Medicare for All

+4
Floridatexan
boards of FL
Markle
dumpcare
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Medicare for All Empty Medicare for All 2/17/2016, 6:12 pm

dumpcare

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steffie-woolhandler/medicares-history-belies-_b_9245484.html

It Disrupted Jim Crow, but Otherwise the Transition Was Smooth

Hillary Clinton and others charge that Bernie Sanders' Medicare-for-All plan would disrupt and threaten Americans' health care. But the smooth rollout of Medicare-for-Seniors in 1965 -- which many had also predicted would bring chaos -- belies that charge.

Medicare, signed into law on July 30, 1965, went live just 11 months later. By then, 18.9 million seniors had signed up, 99 percent of those eligible.

To accomplish this feat (largely without computers) the Social Security Administration mailed an information leaflet and sign-up cards preprinted with each individual's name and Social Security number (see example below) to seniors on the Social Security and railroad retirement rolls, as well as Civil Service annuitants and a million other seniors identified through IRS records.

To contact hard-to-reach seniors, the federal government reached out to nursing and retirement homes, employers, unions and civic organizations offering to help people apply; organized hundreds of local information meetings; and enlisted postal workers, forest rangers and agricultural representatives to help locate residents of remote areas. The Office for Economic Opportunity hired 5,000 low-income seniors who went door-to-door in their neighborhoods.

All told, Medicare's overhead costs for the first year totaled only $120 million (equivalent to $882 million in 2015). By comparison, setting up the insurance exchanges for private coverage under Obamacare cost more than $6 billion -- about seven times as much. But even the modest figure for Medicare's start-up costs is an overstatement since it includes the cost of processing six months' worth of medical bills, not just the enrollment costs. Moreover, Medicare and Medicaid (which was passed at the same time) displaced several smaller federal health assistance programs, saving about $383 million (in 2015 dollars) on their overhead costs.

Even as it became clear that Medicare enrollment was proceeding smoothly, many saw disruption ahead. The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS), a group to the right of the American Medical Association (AMA), threatened that 50,000 doctors would boycott Medicare. (Today, the AAPS is sounding the alarm that Medicare-for-All would take away "what remains of your doctor's liberty.") Wall Street Journal headlines warned that "Most MDs Won't Cooperate," and foresaw a "Patient Pileup," as "flocks of Medicare beneficiaries ... suddenly clog the nation's 7,200 hospitals."

None of this came to pass. Doctors continued to care for elderly patients, mostly accepted Medicare payment, and soon came to rely on Medicare as an economic pillar of their practices. Even the AMA, which had spent millions fighting Medicare's passage (including an infamous ad campaign featuring then-actor Ronald Reagan) cooperated in the program's implementation. Hospitals ran smoothly, with only a handful reporting more than minor of problems.

But Medicare did cause a major disruption, it disrupted Jim Crow hospital care.

The 1964 Civil Rights Act banned racial discrimination in facilities receiving federal funds (which included most hospitals), but enforcement was lax until Medicare. Many hospitals, particularly in the South, still refused to care for black patients at all, while others relegated them to separate entrances and shabby basement wards. Black physicians were often barred from hospital staffs, and in many locales ambulance services were separate, and distinctly unequal.

With Medicare on the horizon, federal officials made it clear to hospitals that segregated hospitals would be excluded from the program. In the spring of 1966, three months before Medicare took effect, 51 percent of American hospitals were still segregated. By August of that year, 99.5 percent had desegregated.

While Medicare ended overt racial segregation in hospitals, segregation by insurance remains legal and common -- and often perpetrates de facto racial segregation. Most of New York City's prestigious academic medical centers -- and many hospitals elsewhere -- maintain separate clinic systems, and even separate wards, for Medicaid patients (the 33 million uninsured need not apply).

Medicare-for-All would give all Americans complete and equal coverage, completing the disruption of hospital segregation that Medicare began a half century ago.

Aside from that welcome disruption, Medicare-for-All would greatly simplify life for hospitals and doctors. Instead of the laborious and expensive task of billing patients and their insurers for each Band-Aid and aspirin tablet, hospitals would receive a lump-sum budget, much as we pay for a fire station. Doctors would bill one plan, using one billing form instead of the dozens of complex billing schemes -- each with its own rules and redundant documentation requirements -- that we face today.

Most important, Medicare-for-All would end many of the disruptions that our patchwork coverage system currently inflicts on patients. All Americans would, for the first time enjoy a free choice of doctor and hospital, and would never again be forced to change doctors merely because their insurance changed, or their doctor was dumped from their insurer's network. And patients' lives would no longer be disrupted by financial ruin from medical bills.

Drs. Steffie Woolhandler and David U. Himmelstein, professors of health policy and management at the City University of New York School of Public Health at Hunter College and Lecturers in Medicine at Harvard Medical School, co-founded Physicians for a National Health Program, a nonpartisan organization. The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those organizations'.

2Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/17/2016, 6:54 pm

Markle

Markle

Where does the money come from? Certainly not the rich, there are not enough to pay that load.

The long-term liability for Medicare today is $27.6 TRILLION. That is TRILLION with a "T". If you like, add in Social Security which is $14.7 TRILLION.

Where do we get that money from PLUS enough to pay for hundreds of millions MORE PEOPLE?

3Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/17/2016, 6:56 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Tax revenue.

4Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/17/2016, 7:19 pm

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:Tax revenue.

From where? We don't have that many "rich" people.

Medicare for All 4541f6d1-5ba1-4d81-a403-9921e308d71e_zpscj0wxi2v

5Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/17/2016, 11:19 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I agree with these tax redistributions. They will help equalize the playing field, which has been grossly unfair to the majority of people. I'm tired of watching my children pay top dollar in their income bracket while those who don't work, but speculate for a living, walk away paying 1/3 to 1/2 what they pay...and corporations not only get tax incentives; they get subsidies. I believe the estate tax has now, for a practical purposes, been abolished. This is the worst income inequality in our country since the Great Depression.

6Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/18/2016, 2:27 am

RealLindaL

I'm not necessarily against the "Medicare for All" concept IF it can be paid for equitably.    But I would take exception to any plan to re-institute the estate tax at lower estate valuation levels, since to me it constitutes double taxation on many families who have already paid income taxes on their accumulated wealth over lifetimes.  I don't see any difference between doing that and taxing our social security income, which is also double taxation and just plain stinks.

7Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/18/2016, 9:52 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:

From where?  

Increased taxes.

Markle, seriously.

Medicare for All Bonbon-dbfbe36b2ab7e3e46f8bdbc19fcc3ada

8Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/18/2016, 10:06 pm

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:

From where?  

Increased taxes.

Markle, seriously.

From where will you get an additional $2 TRILLION PER YEAR...plus more to reduce the $20 TRILLION national debt.

9Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/18/2016, 10:49 pm

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:

From where?  

Increased taxes.

Markle, seriously.

From where will you get an additional $2 TRILLION PER YEAR...plus more to reduce the $20 TRILLION national debt.

We would get a good score by starting with real estate agents now living in Tallahassee. Markle loves to boast about his riches ... he won't mind ...

10Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/19/2016, 9:27 am

dumpcare

Have you ever noticed how Markle and republican's in general ask, How we going to pay for the free stuff Bernie proposes, But never ask how we are going to pay for endless wars?

11Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/19/2016, 9:49 am

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:

From where?  

Increased taxes.

Markle, seriously.

From the money that will no longer be spent on health insurance.

12Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/19/2016, 10:24 am

dumpcare

You're right there, I believe in the long run flipping from ACA to Medicare for all would save money.

13Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/19/2016, 12:18 pm

Floridatexan wrote:
I agree with these tax redistributions.  They will help equalize the playing field, which has been grossly unfair to the majority of people.  I'm tired of watching my children pay top dollar in their income bracket while those who don't work, but speculate for a living, walk away paying 1/3 to 1/2 what they pay...and corporations not only get tax incentives; they get subsidies.  I believe the estate tax has now, for a practical purposes, been abolished.  This is the worst income inequality in our country since the Great Depression.  

*Spoiler – possible rant to follow:

So, you're against the American dream?  Those rags to riches folks, who started with nothing and made it into something?  All those "Horatio Algers” type characters?

Capitalism is what (in part) made America great.  The concept of private ownership fueled the desire to prosper.  The problem is not with capitalism. The problem(s) are individual responsibility.  Education is still the great equalizer – plenty of examples – from the beginnings of America to the present day.  Without a good education there’s not a lot of good prospects for achieving the “American Dream”.  And, by education, I don’t necessarily mean college.  If someone takes the time and makes the effort to learn about something, they can become successful, whether it’s carpentry, computers,  or cars.  It doesn’t take book smarts to find something that earns a good living.  There are even some famous musicians who aren’t very educated – they just devoted themselves to their craft and became successful.  Malcolm Gladwell calls this the 10,000 hour rule – work at something, study, practice at something for 10K hours – and you will become an expert in it.  That works for playing the violin, fixing cars, snorkeling, etc.  It also seems to work for loafing, too.  Work at being lazy and you become expert at it.

Communism arose as a reaction to a distribution of wealth in which a few lived in luxury while the masses lived in extreme poverty.

Here’s a couple of quotes for you:
“The theory of the Communists may be summed up in the single sentence: Abolition of private property.” – Karl Marx
“When everything belongs to everyone, nobody will take care of anything.” – Andre Gide

Capitalism also allows for charity to our fellow man.  America is a charitable country; many of its people are charitable as well.  We have safety nets for the unfortunate – the disabled, the elderly, children, etc.  

I know there are barriers to obtaining a good education.  Poverty is not a good place to engender the value of a good education.  Not everyone can succeed.  But, there are many in America today who just don’t try.

14Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/19/2016, 12:28 pm

Floridatexan wrote:
I agree with these tax redistributions.  They will help equalize the playing field, which has been grossly unfair to the majority of people.  I'm tired of watching my children pay top dollar in their income bracket while those who don't work, but speculate for a living, walk away paying 1/3 to 1/2 what they pay...and corporations not only get tax incentives; they get subsidies.  I believe the estate tax has now, for a practical purposes, been abolished.  This is the worst income inequality in our country since the Great Depression.  

Yes, currently, less than half a percent will have to deal with the Estate Tax.  That leaves most of us (all of us here on the forum, I’m sure) free from this tax.  But why have it in the first place?  It’s another stick it to the rich scheme.  Today, the majority of wealthy Americans are self-made, not heirs (per Forbes).   Why should they lose 40% of their accumulated wealth?  People should not be punished because they work hard, become successful, and want to pass on the fruits of their labor to their children.

15Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/19/2016, 1:57 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

ppaca wrote:Have you ever noticed how Markle and republican's in general ask, How we going to pay for the free stuff Bernie proposes, But never ask how we are going to pay for endless wars?

cheerscheerscheerscheerscheerscheers

That is because they feel it is America's duty to police the whole world, attacking any supposed "enemy" who might stand in their way. During the Cold War, it was the Commies; now it is the world's Muslims. I suppose somewhere along the line, it will be some race of space aliens (Klingons).

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

16Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/19/2016, 2:44 pm

dumpcare

Don't let them drive by civic center today, thought I saw a Klingon while driving by.

17Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/19/2016, 3:14 pm

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
ppaca wrote:Have you ever noticed how Markle and republican's in general ask, How we going to pay for the free stuff Bernie proposes, But never ask how we are going to pay for endless wars?

cheerscheerscheerscheerscheerscheers

That is because they feel it is America's duty to police the whole world, attacking any supposed "enemy" who might stand in their way. During the Cold War, it was the Commies; now it is the world's Muslims. I suppose somewhere along the line, it will be some race of space aliens (Klingons).

Lame Duck President Obama has turned his back on the rest of the world, just as you suggest.

How has that worked out?

18Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/19/2016, 3:17 pm

Sal

Sal

Markle wrote:

Lame Duck President Obama has turned his back on the rest of the world, just as you suggest.

How has that worked out?

If by "turned his back on the rest of the world", you mean "refused to engage in anymore misguided, full-blown invasions and occupations of fucked up countries", then the answer is, "it has worked awesome!!".

Thanks for asking.

19Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/19/2016, 6:44 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:Lame Duck President Obama has turned his back on the rest of the world, just as you suggest.

How has that worked out?

Medicare for All Nothing

20Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/19/2016, 7:26 pm

Markle

Markle

Salinsky wrote:
Markle wrote:

How has that worked out?

If by "turned his back on the rest of the world", you mean "refused to engage in anymore misguided, full-blown invasions and occupations of fucked up countries", then the answer is, "it has worked awesome!!".

Thanks for asking.

Always happy to see you call this AWESOME! In a way you did not intend, it is AWESOME. HORRIFICALLY AWESOME. To you, this is a good thing. Shameless.

The New York Times on Saturday cited a report from the Syrian Center for Policy Research saying there is an estimated 470,000 fatalities. The war has created a staggering refugee crisis, with at least 5 million refugees pouring into Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Egypt, Germany, Belgium, Sweden, France, Italy, Switzerland, Denmark, Norway, and Hungary, totally changing the demographics of these nations.

21Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/19/2016, 10:06 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:estimated 470,000 fatalities. The war has created a staggering refugee crisis, with at least 5 million refugees pouring into Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Egypt, Germany, Belgium, Sweden, France, Italy, Switzerland, Denmark, Norway, and Hungary, totally changing the demographics of these nations.

Oh looky here: Poster Markle thinks we should occupy Syria now......  

Medicare for All BRILLIANT_

22Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/19/2016, 10:32 pm

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:

From where?  

Increased taxes.

Markle, seriously.

From the money that will no longer be spent on health insurance.

Only a small percentage of insurance premiums go to profit.

Please share with us all what the government can and does for less expense and less bureaucracy than private enterprise.

23Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/19/2016, 10:34 pm

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Markle wrote:estimated 470,000 fatalities. The war has created a staggering refugee crisis, with at least 5 million refugees pouring into Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Egypt, Germany, Belgium, Sweden, France, Italy, Switzerland, Denmark, Norway, and Hungary, totally changing the demographics of these nations.

Oh looky here: Poster Markle thinks we should occupy Syria now......

Medicare for All BRILLIANT_

Show us all where I made that statement or admit that...once AGAIN you lied.

24Medicare for All Empty Re: Medicare for All 2/19/2016, 10:36 pm

Criticizing obama's foreign policy is not endorsing occupation. I think he's handled egypt, libya, yemen, sudan, iraq, iran, sa, israel, tunisia, turkey, russia, n.korea, china, cuba, mexico... etc... badly too. Do you think that equates invasion too?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum