Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Medicare & ACA

3 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Medicare & ACA Empty Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 4:43 pm

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

I am posting this thread in Politics because I am pretty certain it will turn into a political discussion. I swear by all that is holy, that is not my intent. I am just looking for information.

My elderly uncle has Medicare and Part D through Blue Cross. He has a prescription plan which I believe is part of the Part D. His medical bills are usually covered 100%, except for his prescriptions. Depending on what stage he is in, he often has a $600 a month co-pay (or non-covered) for his medications. Alzheimer's medications are very expensive.

Hospice is admitting him because he is in end-stage Alzheimer's. Starting May 1st, "due to Obamacare," Medicare will now ONLY pay for services and medications related to the Alzheimer's. Hospice has to give one life-threatening diagnosis, and in his case it will be Alzheimer's. Under these changes, if my Uncle had severe rheumatoid arthritis and needed medication for pain, Medicare (and therefore Part D) will no longer cover anything related to the rheumatoid arthritis. This would apply to any and all other medical issues not related to the Alzheimer's. It will work the same no matter the diagnosis.

My question: Why is Medicare changing due to the ACA? It was my understanding that once you're eligible for Medicare, you're no longer eligible for Obamacare. What does one have to do with the other???

2Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 4:51 pm

Medicare had all of its money removed to fund the ACA

3Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 4:51 pm

QueenOfHearts wrote:I am posting this thread in Politics because I am pretty certain it will turn into a political discussion.  I swear by all that is holy, that is not my intent.  I am just looking for information.

My elderly uncle has Medicare and Part D through Blue Cross.  He has a prescription plan which I believe is part of the Part D.   His medical bills are usually covered 100%, except for his prescriptions.  Depending on what stage he is in, he often has a $600 a month co-pay (or non-covered) for his medications. Alzheimer's medications are very expensive.

Hospice is admitting him because he is in end-stage Alzheimer's.  Starting May 1st, "due to Obamacare," Medicare will now ONLY pay for services and medications related to the Alzheimer's.  Hospice has to give one life-threatening diagnosis, and in his case it will be Alzheimer's.   Under these changes, if my Uncle had severe rheumatoid arthritis and needed medication for pain, Medicare (and therefore Part D) will no longer cover anything related to the rheumatoid arthritis.  This would apply to any and all other medical issues not related to the Alzheimer's.  It will work the same no matter the diagnosis.

My question:  Why is Medicare changing due to the ACA?  It was my understanding that once you're eligible for Medicare, you're no longer eligible for Obamacare.  What does one have to do with the other???

obamacare isn't a "actual insurance plan".

Its a mandate by the gov that dictates to insurances what will be covered and dictates that people must buy ins. It also has taken billions of $$$ from medicare which is a gov funded plan via life time contributions from working people.

So medicare got raped in order to provide ins subsidies for those who so called did not have ins before.

My last sentence sums up cuts, er I mean savings depends on who you ask lol

4Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 5:11 pm

QueenOfHearts wrote:I am posting this thread in Politics because I am pretty certain it will turn into a political discussion.  I swear by all that is holy, that is not my intent.  I am just looking for information.

My elderly uncle has Medicare and Part D through Blue Cross.  He has a prescription plan which I believe is part of the Part D.   His medical bills are usually covered 100%, except for his prescriptions.  Depending on what stage he is in, he often has a $600 a month co-pay (or non-covered) for his medications. Alzheimer's medications are very expensive.

Hospice is admitting him because he is in end-stage Alzheimer's.  Starting May 1st, "due to Obamacare," Medicare will now ONLY pay for services and medications related to the Alzheimer's.  Hospice has to give one life-threatening diagnosis, and in his case it will be Alzheimer's.   Under these changes, if my Uncle had severe rheumatoid arthritis and needed medication for pain, Medicare (and therefore Part D) will no longer cover anything related to the rheumatoid arthritis.  This would apply to any and all other medical issues not related to the Alzheimer's.  It will work the same no matter the diagnosis.

My question:  Why is Medicare changing due to the ACA?  It was my understanding that once you're eligible for Medicare, you're no longer eligible for Obamacare.  What does one have to do with the other???

Your uncle needs to apply for medicaid which will cover his prescriptions and co pays depending upon his financial status. If he has too much money now you will have to wait until the money is gone to qualify for medicaid. The ACA has nothing to do w/ your uncle's situation. It is the insurance company.

5Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 5:32 pm

Dreamsglore wrote:

Your uncle needs to apply for medicaid which will cover his prescriptions and co pays depending upon his financial status. If he has too much money now you will have to wait until the money is gone to qualify for medicaid. The ACA has nothing to do w/ your uncle's situation. It is the insurance company.

hey dumbass.... the insurance company is MEDICARE LMAO!

6Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 5:44 pm

The insurance co. is Blue Cross. Medicare pays them.

7Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 5:51 pm

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Dreamsglore wrote:

The supplement (Blue Cross) does not pay for anything that Medicare does not pay for. According to the lady at Hospice, Medicare is no longer paying for these things because of the changes under the ACA. Since Medicare recipients were not forced to obtain policies according to the ACA, I did not know that their coverage was being affected at all.

My uncle cannot qualify for Medicaid because he does have assets. He has retirement income of $2,000 per month; his assisted living costs $5,000. If he outlives his savings (which is being used to supplement the monthly bills), then he will become eligible for Medicaid.

8Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 5:53 pm

Dreamsglore wrote:The insurance co. is Blue Cross. Medicare pays them.

medicare regulates the plan through bcbs

its medicare who REIMBURSES bcbs for services.

They dictate services.

9Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 5:54 pm

dumpcare

First off how many insurance cards does he have and what do they say? If he is admitted to the hospital part D is not used.

10Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 5:55 pm

QueenOfHearts wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

The supplement (Blue Cross) does not pay for anything that Medicare does not pay for.  According to the lady at Hospice, Medicare is no longer paying for these things because of the changes under the ACA.  Since Medicare recipients were not forced to obtain policies according to the ACA, I did not know that their coverage was being affected at all.

My uncle cannot qualify for Medicaid because he does have assets.  He has retirement income of $2,000 per month; his assisted living costs $5,000.  If he outlives his savings (which is being used to supplement the monthly bills), then he will become eligible for Medicaid.

btw, I feel your pain, my dad also lost his part D benefits because of obamacare.

but good luck trying to explain facts of life to these people. They are in la la land in complete faith of obamagod

11Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 5:56 pm

dumpcare

Smile

They dictate services.  

not if it's a supplement

12Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 5:58 pm

dumpcare

[quote]Smile
QueenOfHearts wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

The supplement (Blue Cross) does not pay for anything that Medicare does not pay for.  According to the lady at Hospice, Medicare is no longer paying for these things because of the changes under the ACA.  Since Medicare recipients were not forced to obtain policies according to the ACA, I did not know that their coverage was being affected at all.

My uncle cannot qualify for Medicaid because he does have assets.  He has retirement income of $2,000 per month; his assisted living costs $5,000.  If he outlives his savings (which is being used to supplement the monthly bills), then he will become eligible for Medicaid.

btw, I feel your pain, my dad also lost his part D benefits because of obamacare.

but good luck trying to explain facts of life to these people. They are in la la land in complete faith of obamagod[/quote

Chrissy, how did your dad lose Part D because of Obamacare?

13Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 6:05 pm

Smile

They dictate services.  

Correct but what I said is medicare pays them as opposed to the moron Chrissy saying medicare is the insurance co.

14Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 6:08 pm

ppaca wrote:
Smile
QueenOfHearts wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

but good luck trying to explain facts of life to these people. They are in la la land in complete faith of obamagod[/quote

I don't really know. When I seen him a few months ago he said he was at some limit and they would not pay for his prescriptions any more. He takes a lot of medicine, he is sickly,blind and has a lot of medicines. It could have been the $2 raise they got on social security lol

15Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 6:10 pm

Dreamsglore wrote:
Smile

They dictate services.  

Correct but what I said is medicare pays them as opposed to the moron Chrissy saying medicare is the insurance co.

Im always CORRECT on this subject. You just replied to me LOL

16Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 6:12 pm

QueenOfHearts wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

Right. That's what I said about his financial status. When his savings are gone he will be eligible for medicaid. Medicare is not paying anymore probably because he has a supplement. I would assume the supplement is paying for the difference.

17Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 6:25 pm

wow

18Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 6:26 pm

dumpcare

Smile
ppaca wrote:
Smile
QueenOfHearts wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

I don't really know. When I seen him a few months ago he said he was at some limit and they would not pay for his prescriptions any more. He takes a lot of medicine, he is sickly,blind and has a lot of medicines. It could have been the $2 raise they got on social security lol

You say a few months ago, before the 1st of the year? Sounds like he was in his donut hole, if it was this year then he takes very expensive meds to be in his donut hold already. When you're in the gap you are responsible for 72% of all generics and 47.5% of brand name, it used to be you would pay 100%, obamacare is actually closing that hole. He should go to social and fill out a form for extra help if he's living just off social and see if they grant it, then his generics would be around 2.25 and brand 6.25 all year.

The only way you can lose Part D is if you stop it yourself, nonpayment or some scamming insurance agent screws you.

19Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 6:31 pm

dumpcare

Dreamsglore wrote:
QueenOfHearts wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

Right. That's what I said about his financial status. When his savings are gone he will be eligible for medicaid. Medicare is not paying anymore probably because he has a supplement. I would assume the supplement is paying for the difference.

If he has a supplement, Medicare pays first and then supplement and he should owe nothing if he is using Medicare assignment hospitals and doctor's.

Medicare Advantage is completely different, in this case the insurance company indeed takes over your health care and the government pays approximately $9000 annually for them to do so. Most Medicare Advantage plans have Part D built in.

20Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 6:36 pm

ppaca wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
QueenOfHearts wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

If he has a supplement, Medicare pays first and then supplement and he should owe nothing if he is using Medicare assignment hospitals and doctor's.

Medicare Advantage is completely different, in this case the insurance company indeed takes over your health care and the government pays approximately $9000 annually for them to do so. Most Medicare Advantage plans have Part D built in.

it sounds like he has med adv. and you know what they did to that.

21Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 6:37 pm

dumpcare

Prescription Help:

1 866 512-3861
1 800 799-8765
1 800 717-6005 Pfizer if he takes any drugs made by them.

Also find out who manufacture's his drugs and start calling them for discounts.

22Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 6:38 pm

dumpcare

Smile
ppaca wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
QueenOfHearts wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

it sounds like he has med adv. and you know what they did to that.

23Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 8:29 pm

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

ppaca wrote:

First off how many insurance cards does he have and what do they say? If he is admitted to the hospital part D is not used.

He has two cards. One is a Medicare card and the other is a Blue Cross Blue Shield card. Hospice is telling me that Medicare is no longer going to cover anything that is not related to their diagnosis, Alzheimer's. The nurse telling me said it was effective May 1st "due to Obamacare."

24Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 8:30 pm

QueenOfHearts wrote:
ppaca wrote:

He has two cards.  One is a Medicare card and the other is a Blue Cross Blue Shield card.  Hospice is telling me that Medicare is no longer going to cover anything that is not related to their diagnosis, Alzheimer's.  The nurse telling me said it was effective May 1st "due to Obamacare."

Im curious. did you vote for Obama?

25Medicare & ACA Empty Re: Medicare & ACA 4/19/2014, 8:41 pm

QueenOfHearts wrote:
ppaca wrote:

He has two cards.  One is a Medicare card and the other is a Blue Cross Blue Shield card.  Hospice is telling me that Medicare is no longer going to cover anything that is not related to their diagnosis, Alzheimer's.  The nurse telling me said it was effective May 1st "due to Obamacare."

I think you need to call medicare. I don't believe what that nurse said.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum