Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Paula's restaurant closes

+7
no stress
boards of FL
dumpcare
Joanimaroni
Sal
knothead
2seaoat
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Paula's restaurant closes Empty Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 1:12 pm

2seaoat

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=860559

2Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 1:24 pm

knothead

knothead

Personally I dislike the manner in which this woman was dismembered because of her honesty, i.e., that she used racially offensive words during her past. We do live in a world in which political correctness must be adhered to and I do not condone offending others but this became a tragedy simply because she was honest. I do not watch her programming because it does not appeal to me but I hope she is able to claw herself back into the good graces of those who sought to bring her down.

3Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 1:33 pm

Sal

Sal

knothead wrote:but this became a tragedy

Tragedy???

4Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 1:43 pm

knothead

knothead

Sal wrote:
knothead wrote:but this became a tragedy

Tragedy???

That what it was to me Sal . . . . she was an honest woman and gave an honest answer and her reward? Overkill big time . . .

5Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 1:49 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

knothead wrote:Personally I dislike the manner in which this woman was dismembered because of her honesty, i.e., that she used racially offensive words during her past.  We do live in a world in which political correctness must be adhered to and I do not condone offending others but this became a tragedy simply because she was honest.  I do not watch her programming because it does not appeal to me but I hope she is able to claw herself back into the good graces of those who sought to bring her down.

I agree. She was condemned for something she said 40 years ago. It was during the time she worked in a bank that was robbed.

6Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 1:53 pm

Sal

Sal

knothead wrote:

That what it was to me Sal . . . . she was an honest woman and gave an honest answer and her reward? Overkill big time . . .

I guess we just saw it differently.

I thought it was two parts rich cheesy comedy, one part wholesome and satisfying comeuppance, with a dash of sinfully delicious schadenfreude, and all deep fried to golden perfection.

7Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 2:08 pm

dumpcare

Hell, she's coming back, saw her doing a commercial the other day and I believe walmart has her pots and pans back on shelf's.

8Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 2:19 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

ppaca wrote:Hell, she's coming back, saw her doing a commercial the other day and I believe walmart has her pots and pans back on shelf's.

I could not grasp what was done to her.

Martha Stewart, a convicted felon never lost what Paula lost. Her Products remained on the shelves and she never lost her sponsors.

9Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 2:22 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

It is easier to empathize with someone who sought to avoid losing a lot of money than it is to empathize with a racist.

10Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 2:32 pm

knothead

knothead

boards of FL wrote:It is easier to empathize with someone who sought to avoid losing a lot of money than it is to empathize with a racist.

I get that, I really do but not many folks in the South she grew up in could deny using offensive terms but Paula Deen swore an oath and told the truth. Yes she had used that derogatory term in the past . . . . oh my Lord and for cryin' out loud yall . . . . lawdy sakes tell me it ain't so . . . honestly of course she used it in her past and puhleez what did she get for her honesty? It is clearly political correctness run amok in my mind but that's just how I see it . . .

11Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 2:41 pm

Sal

Sal

Y'all act like she was stripped of all of her assets and given a life sentence.

Food Network decided not to renew her contract, and some stores decided not to carry her products, and now in related or unrelated news, Bubba's is closing.

She's still a multimillionaire, and she's gained a whole new audience - racists.

She'll be alright.

12Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 3:06 pm

Sal

Sal

As long-time employees collected severance checks in the parking lot, Uncle Bubba’s Seafood and Oyster House announced its closing Thursday morning on its website and Facebook page.

Some long-term employees were shocked to discover they no longer had a job and turned to the restaurant’s Facebook page to vent.

“I’ve been water works all a.m.,” wrote one poster who said she’d been employed there for seven years. “I’ve worked there since I was 16. I woke up this a.m. to no job and no forewarning.”

http://savannahnow.com/latest-news/2014-04-03/uncle-bubbas-closes-doors#.Uz8B5MdF5xW

Nice people.

13Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 3:11 pm

no stress

no stress

knothead wrote:Personally I dislike the manner in which this woman was dismembered because of her honesty, i.e., that she used racially offensive words during her past.  We do live in a world in which political correctness must be adhered to and I do not condone offending others but this became a tragedy simply because she was honest.  I do not watch her programming because it does not appeal to me but I hope she is able to claw herself back into the good graces of those who sought to bring her down.
 cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers  I agree

14Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 3:14 pm

no stress

no stress

boards of FL wrote:It is easier to empathize with someone who sought to avoid losing a lot of money than it is to empathize with a racist.
Translation- I condone criminality and perpetuate perceived racism

15Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 3:19 pm

knothead

knothead

Sal wrote:As long-time employees collected severance checks in the parking lot, Uncle Bubba’s Seafood and Oyster House announced its closing Thursday morning on its website and Facebook page.

Some long-term employees were shocked to discover they no longer had a job and turned to the restaurant’s Facebook page to vent.

“I’ve been water works all a.m.,” wrote one poster who said she’d been employed there for seven years. “I’ve worked there since I was 16. I woke up this a.m. to no job and no forewarning.”

http://savannahnow.com/latest-news/2014-04-03/uncle-bubbas-closes-doors#.Uz8B5MdF5xW

Nice people.

Not really . . . . the way they closed was horrible and a lapse in judgement!

16Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 3:25 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

I agree with knot--she was crucified for being honest. I have no idea what is in her heart today, but judging her so harshly for something she admitted to saying many years ago was unfair.

17Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 3:35 pm

no stress

no stress

This is what our country has devolved to. Boards gave a perfect example when he stated that people of his same mindset are more accepting of criminal acts than they are of a person who gave an honest answer about her behavior 40 years in the past.

18Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 8:43 pm

I agree they skinned her alive for things I don't think were racist like the Mammy dress. People go too far w/ this shit. Besides it wasn't her restaurant that closed. It was her brother's. She has the Lady and Son's.

19Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 8:53 pm

2seaoat

I agree they skinned her alive for things I don't think were racist like the Mammy dress. People go too far w/ this shit.

What are your feelings about Native American mascots........they wear something similar to a Mammy dress, and I think Blacks and Indians have expressed they feel it is racist. The truth is this was a stupid business standoff which allowed the deposition in the first place. It involved the treatment of the employees of the restaurant. How did they treat them when they closed the doors. Why did people stop going if they felt that Mammy dress and the N word were good things......right or wrong, people made a judgment and simply no longer went to the restaurant. Racism is alive and well in America. They now have objective evidence that umpires show prejudice toward black pitching in the majors.....statistical certainty on video review......but NOBODY ever talked about that racial discrimination because it is believed to be subconscious discrimination....you know the type where Mammy dress really does not mean anything, and calling people the N word is no big deal.

20Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 9:14 pm

2seaoat

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/766524-bias-in-baseball-study-shows-mlb-umpires-discriminate-in-calling-strikes-balls

21Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 10:47 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:I agree they skinned her alive for things I don't think were racist like the Mammy dress. People go too far w/ this shit.

What are your feelings about Native American mascots........they wear something similar to a Mammy dress, and I think Blacks and Indians have expressed they feel it is racist.  The truth is this was a stupid business standoff which allowed the deposition in the first place.   It involved the treatment of the employees of the restaurant.  How did they treat them when they closed the doors.   Why did people stop going if they felt that Mammy dress and the N word were good things......right or wrong, people made a judgment and simply no longer went to the restaurant.  Racism is alive and well in America.   They now have objective evidence that umpires show prejudice toward black pitching in the majors.....statistical certainty on video review......but NOBODY ever talked about that racial discrimination because it is believed to be subconscious discrimination....you know the type where Mammy dress really does not mean anything, and calling people the N word is no big deal.

You poor sad devil......you have it all mixed up. Try reading up on what actually occurred before spouting your BS.

22Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 10:57 pm

2seaoat

I stand on what was written. Correct me with facts.

23Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 11:03 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:I stand on what was written.  Correct me with facts.

Educate yourself on the facts of the lawsuit....

The mammy dress caused people to stop going where? There is still a long line waiting to get in.

24Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/4/2014, 11:21 pm

2seaoat

There is still a long line waiting to get in.

A closed establishment that did not have the decency to give a two week notice.....yep folks are lining up.....that certainly must be why they needed to close.....too many people........I do agree, somebody needs to get their facts correct.

25Paula's restaurant closes Empty Re: Paula's restaurant closes 4/5/2014, 7:00 am

Paula's restaurant, "Lady and Sons" is open. It's the restaurant in historic Savannah that has the long lines of people waiting to enjoy her food. Her other restaurant is the one that is closing - Uncle Bubba's. This is where the lawsuit arose from alleged sexual and racial harassment - which was dismissed.

People Magazine - http://greatideas.people.com/2014/04/03/paula-deen-uncle-bubbas-restaurant-closing/

Great opening for a race debate, Mr. Oat. Rolling Eyes 

We're all racist in the South, right?  Rolling Eyes  If we're white and Southern it's an automatic label, right Rolling Eyes  Pretty tired of it being slapped on EVERY comment that has anything to do with discussing anyone of color. (Oh no, I bet that was a racist remark!)  Rolling Eyes 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum