Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Question about printed newspapers going bust because of the internet

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

If the newspapers are having such a tough time of making a go of printed editions,  then how do we explain weekly tabloids like the Independent News?
I don't hear any talk about that thing having a hard time of it.
He has to get that tabloid printed and distributed all over creation and he aint even charging us for copies of it.  It's all paid for only with advertising.  So how can he make a go of that when all we hear about is how hard it is for the newspapers to keep printing papers?

2seaoat

A few years ago I ran an ad to rent a house in SR in the PNJ. I spent $125 and got about three calls. None worked out. I tried Craigslist and got about five calls and a tenant, and did not spend a dime.

Now I used to get a half page ad for $800 bucks for a business, and I did not get one call. I spent $100 on Google ad words and got over five hundred hits on the website and confirmed customers who found us because of the internet ad. A daily newspaper has fixed overhead costs which cannot be met in this competitive market. They make money on their weekend editions where the inserts and readership is at their height.

I have a friend with a weekly in a local market, and he owns no printing equipment and jobs his printing and takes his ads himself personally.......at the end of the year after paying his expenses he makes 35k.....it is not as lucrative as you think.....people first look on the internet.....and many of the people who are looking at these weekly newspapers are simply dying off.......

Starting a small on line newspaper is easy.
http://pensacolawestsidecycling.com/

You can generate a lot of hits with out much effort

Yella

Yella

Bob wrote:If the newspapers are having such a tough time of making a go of printed editions,  then how do we explain weekly tabloids like the Independent News?
He has to get that tabloid printed and distributed all over creation and he aint even charging us for copies of it.  It's all paid for only with advertising.  So how can he make a go of that when all we hear about is how hard it is for the newspapers to keep printing papers?

Newspaper employees get paid pretty good and have company insurance so there you are. Newspapers have got to find some way to get their reader base back again, More readers means more advertisers.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:If the newspapers are having such a tough time of making a go of printed editions,  then how do we explain weekly tabloids like the Independent News?

I looked at their web page and it did not appear that they cover breaking, national news other than in discussions or opinion pieces. Other than that it looked like any of the gossip tabloids screaming about the weight gained by Valerie Bertenelli.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum