Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Question: Do you believe government should be able to dictate to a manufacturer that he has to have middlemen between him and his customers?

4 posters

My opinion is...

Question:  Do you believe government should be able to dictate to a manufacturer that he has to have middlemen between him and his customers? I_vote_lcap22%Question:  Do you believe government should be able to dictate to a manufacturer that he has to have middlemen between him and his customers? I_vote_rcap 22% [ 2 ]
Question:  Do you believe government should be able to dictate to a manufacturer that he has to have middlemen between him and his customers? I_vote_lcap67%Question:  Do you believe government should be able to dictate to a manufacturer that he has to have middlemen between him and his customers? I_vote_rcap 67% [ 6 ]
Question:  Do you believe government should be able to dictate to a manufacturer that he has to have middlemen between him and his customers? I_vote_lcap11%Question:  Do you believe government should be able to dictate to a manufacturer that he has to have middlemen between him and his customers? I_vote_rcap 11% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The carmaker Tesla sells directly to it's customers without having car dealers in the middle.  Because of this,  New Jersey and several other states have banned Tesla from selling cars in their states.
The car dealer associations have clout with the state governments.

Whose side would you be on in this dispute?

Short sighted on the part of those states. I imagine it costs the state taxes... probably won't last.

2seaoat

This is common in other goods sold in states. Many states require that all liquor purchases for restaurants and bars go through middle men who are liquor distributors. They do this to audit the restaurants sales tax dollars.

So Joe's bar cannot go to the local publix and buy 10 cases of bud.....they must buy it from the distributor. Then when the dumb asz bar owner keeps his cash drawer open and sells booze and does not report it, and pays sales tax on only half of its sales. They go in and pull the orders from the distributors and factor theft and shrinkage of inventory and impute sales dollars and collect on that imputed amount.

Right now internet sales are not efficient in collecting sales tax for the state. So, I would have to understand the legislative logic, but folks in Revenue want procedures which guarantee transparency in collection of taxes. I think transparency can be achieved in direct auto sales, but I can understand the rational basis for the legislation.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Two people voted for the first option?

Care to explain yourselves?

2seaoat

I voted that the state using the rational basis test of constitutionality can restrict certain products to be sold through distributors who are located in the state and are accountable for sales tax dollars. I however think that direct sales can happen, but right now states are getting beaten out of sales tax collection on many internet sales and I find nothing unconstitutional about asking for at least one in state distributor to allow certainty in tax collection.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:The carmaker Tesla sells directly to it's customers without having car dealers in the middle.  Because of this,  New Jersey and several other states have banned Tesla from selling cars in their states.
The car dealer associations have clout with the state governments.

Whose side would you be on in this dispute?

Question:  Do you believe government should be able to dictate to a manufacturer that he has to have middlemen between him and his customers? Socratestoo

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:Two people voted for the first option?  

Your question is addressed to them,  but I'll go ahead and give you the real answer.  lol

The right-wing media (fox news**, talk radio, etc) has now made the terms electricity and liberal become synonymous in the minds of most of that audience.  Actually,  it's all three words,  electricity,  liberal and obama, which are synonymous.
If you want just one good example of this all you need to do is watch Fox and Friends.

So these folk hate electric cars so much,  that they are willing to throw out one of their own long-held fundamental beliefs.  That government needs to get it's nose out of business.  lol

**  with the one exception now being Bill O'Reilly who to his credit has now done a total about face on it...

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/oreilly-bolling-clash-over-tesla-embracing-it-hurts-villains-like-putin/

p.s. to anyone who watches the video on that page.  Would you like to know how Eric Bolling misled the audience on one point bigtime?

The fourth obvious option is that a state should be free to implement nearly any bad idea the citizens accept.

2seaoat

The fourth obvious option is that a state should be free to implement nearly any bad idea the citizens accept.

So the citizens accept something and a democracy is working, but you think the oligarchs should determine good ideas.....yep you are consistent. sadly you were born into the wrong country and the wrong era.....you needed to be royalty in Chad where your good ideas could be implemented.

Markle

Markle

I think they may run into a problem with anti-trust laws. Without independent dealers, they set the price and there is no competition.

A couple decades ago, Apple tried to do the same thing. Only installing their OS in Apple Computers, sold by Apple at Apple stores.

At the same time, Microsoft was licensing their OS to every computer company in the country. One still has the lions share of the market while both have become incredibly successful.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:
boards of FL wrote:Two people voted for the first option?  

Your question is addressed to them,  but I'll go ahead and give you the real answer.  lol

The right-wing media (fox news**, talk radio, etc) has now made the terms electricity and liberal become synonymous in the minds of most of that audience.  Actually,  it's all three words,  electricity,  liberal and obama, which are synonymous.
If you want just one good example of this all you need to do is watch Fox and Friends.

So these folk hate electric cars so much,  that they are willing to throw out one of their own long-held fundamental beliefs.  That government needs to get it's nose out of business.  lol

**  with the one exception now being Bill O'Reilly who to his credit has now done a total about face on it...

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/oreilly-bolling-clash-over-tesla-embracing-it-hurts-villains-like-putin/

p.s. to anyone who watches the video on that page.  Would you like to know how Eric Bolling misled the audience on one point bigtime?

Bill O'Reilly has NOT always been opposed to electric cars. He was and is opposed to their high price, government subsidies and actually that they were so ugly.

Tesla has been, oh nooooo...PROFITABLE so far, at least they are breaking even. Their prices make them only available to the very rich.

Another point Bolling was trying to make, which I don't think O'Reilly got, was that we don't have the electric capacity if there are tens of millions of electric only cars on the road. All that energy has to come from somewhere.

In addition, with more electric cars, government will have to start taxing every car per mile. Maybe added to your utility bill.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Where Bolling misled the tv audience was an act of ommission.
He left the audience with the impression that Tesla got all it's funding from a government loan.

Tesla History. Tesla originally was funded from the proceeds Elon Musk received from his sale of Paypal to eBay ($160 million). Musk literally lost every penny of that because the first Tesla model was a failure.

At the point he was dead broke, the company received a $1.5 billion investment from private capital. It was three days before Christmas in 2008.
THAT is what permitted the company to stay in business. Not the government loan.

Musk learned from all his earlier mistakes and used that education to turn around and produce a state of the art electric car.
What makes the prospects for Tesla look pretty good is that by now Musk is way ahead of the other carmarkers on electric car technology.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum