Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Florida lawmakers vote to expand ‘stand your ground’ law

+4
Floridatexan
2seaoat
TEOTWAWKI
no stress
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Floridatexan wrote:
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/02/15/3286451/make-sense-dunn-verdict/

"A Florida jury could not reach a verdict on the most serious charge facing Michael Dunn, a first degree murder charge for the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Jordan Davis after a dispute over loud music at a Jacksonville convenience store. Nevertheless, Dunn is all but certain to face a lengthy prison sentence as he was convicted on three counts of attempted second degree murder — one for each of three of Dunn’s friends who were also in the line of fire as Dunn fired ten rounds into their sport utility vehicle.
The judge declared a mistrial on the first degree murder count, leaving prosecutors the option of seeking a new trial.
The Florida shooting was the most prominent fatal shooting of a teen in self-defense since the death of Trayvon Martin drew national attention to Florida’s Stand Your Ground law. The law was also cited in Dunn’s trial.
The shooting occurred after Dunn asked the boys to turn down their music while parked next to him in a Jacksonville convenience store parking lot. His fiancée, Rhonda Rouer, says the last thing she heard him say was, “I hate that thug music.” Rouer was in the convenience store when she heard gunshots, and when she ran outside, he told her to get in the car and they drove away.
Dunn claimed he saw a gun and believed the boys were armed and dangerous. But police found no gun in the car. He said he heard Davis threaten to kill him, and responded by rolling down the window of his car and asking, “Are you talking to me?” Dunn and Rouer spent the night in a hotel, as planned, and their testimony differed about what happened that night, and in the days that followed. Dunn’s friends testified that they knew him as a calm and non-violent man.
During closing arguments, prosecutor John Guy told jurors, “Jordan Davis didn’t have a weapon. He had a big mouth. And that defendant wasn’t gonna stand for it. And it cost Jordan Davis his life.”
Dunn’s lawyer Cory Strolla cited Florida’s Stand Your Ground law in his closing argument, “His honor will further tell you that if Michael Dunn was in a public place where he had a legal right to be, he had no duty to retreat and had the right to stand his ground and meet force with force, including deadly force.” As in the George Zimmerman trial, the Stand Your Ground law was included in the jury instructions.
Alluding to public controversy of the law, Strolla added, “It’s not because I wrote it. It’s not cause I like it. We’re not here to change it and we’re not here to fight it. We’re here to apply it.”
When asked about the relevance of the law to this case during a press conference, Strolla told reporters that he “strategically” decided not to seek a separate Stand Your Ground hearing that could have given Dunn immunity before trial, because of the national media attention. He claimed the law was therefore not relevant to the case. But the jurors were nonetheless advised to consider the law when deciding Dunn’s guilt, by both Strolla and in the jury instructions.

Just prior to the trial, the State Attorney’s Office released a set of letters Dunn sent from prison revealing significant animus toward blacks. “The more time I am exposed to these people, the more prejudiced against them I become,” he said in one. “This jail is full of blacks and they all act like thugs,” he said in another. The letters did not come into play during trial. But they reveal the sort of racial undertones that have been prominent in many Stand Your Ground cases. One study found that white defendants with black victims are far more likely to have their killings deem “justified” under the Stand Your Ground law."

--------------------------

The reason this bad law is in other states is that it was pushed by ALEC. Apparently, even if the law is not used in the defense, it still influences the jury...as in this case...and the Zimmerman case...and apparently every other murder trial in the state of Florida...because it's part of the jury instructions...providing just enough ambiguity to confuse the jurors.

The problem w/ Dunn's lies is that he fired three shots into the car and as they were retreating he fired more. He knew they didn't have a gun and I doubt they threatened to kill him. Probably just cussed at him.He was a violent man according to his neighbor. He beat up both his ex-wives and put a gun to one's head.

Dreamsglore wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

"A Florida jury could not reach a verdict on the most serious charge facing Michael Dunn, a first degree murder charge for the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Jordan Davis after a dispute over loud music at a Jacksonville convenience store. Nevertheless, Dunn is all but certain to face a lengthy prison sentence as he was convicted on three counts of attempted second degree murder — one for each of three of Dunn’s friends who were also in the line of fire as Dunn fired ten rounds into their sport utility vehicle.
The judge declared a mistrial on the first degree murder count, leaving prosecutors the option of seeking a new trial.
The Florida shooting was the most prominent fatal shooting of a teen in self-defense since the death of Trayvon Martin drew national attention to Florida’s Stand Your Ground law. The law was also cited in Dunn’s trial.
The shooting occurred after Dunn asked the boys to turn down their music while parked next to him in a Jacksonville convenience store parking lot. His fiancée, Rhonda Rouer, says the last thing she heard him say was, “I hate that thug music.” Rouer was in the convenience store when she heard gunshots, and when she ran outside, he told her to get in the car and they drove away.
Dunn claimed he saw a gun and believed the boys were armed and dangerous. But police found no gun in the car. He said he heard Davis threaten to kill him, and responded by rolling down the window of his car and asking, “Are you talking to me?” Dunn and Rouer spent the night in a hotel, as planned, and their testimony differed about what happened that night, and in the days that followed. Dunn’s friends testified that they knew him as a calm and non-violent man.
During closing arguments, prosecutor John Guy told jurors, “Jordan Davis didn’t have a weapon. He had a big mouth. And that defendant wasn’t gonna stand for it. And it cost Jordan Davis his life.”
Dunn’s lawyer Cory Strolla cited Florida’s Stand Your Ground law in his closing argument, “His honor will further tell you that if Michael Dunn was in a public place where he had a legal right to be, he had no duty to retreat and had the right to stand his ground and meet force with force, including deadly force.” As in the George Zimmerman trial, the Stand Your Ground law was included in the jury instructions.
Alluding to public controversy of the law, Strolla added, “It’s not because I wrote it. It’s not cause I like it. We’re not here to change it and we’re not here to fight it. We’re here to apply it.”
When asked about the relevance of the law to this case during a press conference, Strolla told reporters that he “strategically” decided not to seek a separate Stand Your Ground hearing that could have given Dunn immunity before trial, because of the national media attention. He claimed the law was therefore not relevant to the case. But the jurors were nonetheless advised to consider the law when deciding Dunn’s guilt, by both Strolla and in the jury instructions.

Just prior to the trial, the State Attorney’s Office released a set of letters Dunn sent from prison revealing significant animus toward blacks. “The more time I am exposed to these people, the more prejudiced against them I become,” he said in one. “This jail is full of blacks and they all act like thugs,” he said in another. The letters did not come into play during trial. But they reveal the sort of racial undertones that have been prominent in many Stand Your Ground cases. One study found that white defendants with black victims are far more likely to have their killings deem “justified” under the Stand Your Ground law."

The reason this bad law is in other states is that it was pushed by ALEC. Apparently, even if the law is not used in the defense, it still influences the jury...as in this case...and the Zimmerman case...and apparently every other murder trial in the state of Florida...because it's part of the jury instructions...providing just enough ambiguity to confuse the jurors.

The problem w/ Dunn's lies is that he fired three shots into the car and as they were retreating he fired more. He knew they didn't have a gun and I doubt they threatened to kill him. Probably just cussed at him.He was a violent man according to his neighbor. He beat up both his ex-wives and put a gun to one's head.

go finger fuck your gf on another thread. the only person hijacking this thread is me. this is about that guy. if you had a brain cell, you would realize it most closely relates to the woman, alexander.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

They have no argument. All they have is ridicule and bleating like the sheep they are. When they are being mugged or raped I hope they remember their weakness was their choice.

Dot wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

go finger fuck your gf on another thread. the only person hijacking this thread is me. this is about that guy. if you had a brain cell, you would realize it most closely relates to the woman, alexander.

KMA ,you skank. I'll post what I want.

Dreamsglore wrote:
Dot wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

I wouldn't kiss your ass with my dead lips. I wouldn't even let my dog sniff your ass, she would probably start pissing in my bed if that happened , like when your dog smells your stinky ass.

and that's Ms Sexy Skank to you old dog fucker

Dot wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Dot wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

I wouldn't kiss your ass with my dead lips. I wouldn't even let my dog sniff your ass, she would probably start pissing in my bed if that happened , like when your dog smells your stinky ass.

and that's Ms Sexy Skank to you old dog fucker

A skank is a shank. There's nothing sexy about a short fat skank.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

You two need new words, these are losing their punch. I used to be shocked when I read your exchanges but they need something new and even more vulgar to hold your audiences attention. SHOCK IT TO ME !

TEOTWAWKI wrote:You two need new words, these are losing their punch. I used to be shocked when I read your exchanges but they need something new and even more vulgar to hold your audiences attention. SHOCK IT TO ME !

I have a headache tonight and I don't feel like digging up that liberal girl video of the twerking right now. I know that usually gets all the people upset about vulgar. you know twerking girls.

or some big booty liberal who sucks off the president by the name of beyonce lol

or I probably could look up some liberal nasty movie scenes, or some nasty liberal music lyrics.

so much to choose from, but really I have a headache and have seen it all anyway lol

no stress

no stress

To anyone that thinks that is is cowardly or not becoming of a "real man" to excercise a constitutional right and carry a weapon I would just say that the argument could be made that someone that sits behind a keyboard and anonymously makes post after post belittling others while exercising his right to freedom of speech could equally be called a coward. After all, "real men" dont need to hide their identity while calling others stupid, clueless and other similar derogatory names.....do they?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Gunz wrote:To anyone that thinks that is is cowardly or not becoming of a "real man" to excercise a constitutional right and carry a weapon I would just say that the argument could be made that someone that sits behind a keyboard and anonymously makes post after post belittling others while exercising his right to freedom of speech could equally be called a coward. After all, "real men" dont need to hide their identity while calling others stupid, clueless and other similar derogatory names.....do they?

I think you summed that up nicely now if mister bigshot will just reveal his identity he may continue his derogatory abuse of short people and gun owners other wise he should STFU.

2seaoat

To anyone that thinks that is is cowardly or not becoming of a "real man" to excercise a constitutional right and carry a weapon I would just say that the argument could be made that someone that sits behind a keyboard and anonymously makes post after post belittling others while exercising his right to freedom of speech could equally be called a coward. After all, "real men" dont need to hide their identity while calling others stupid, clueless and other similar derogatory names.....do they?

Nothing belittling in telling the truth.....look at the people who are carrying guns....Zimmerman and the latest character......scardy cats who beat women......the constitution does not give the right to be afraid......and yes real men do not carry concealed weapons. As to the nature of this forum it is what it is and mere words only make cowards uncomfortable. A person should be able to argue why they are so afraid and need a hidden gun. Hey, if you are afraid and this makes you feel braver, who I am to argue.....I simply do not get it, and I have hunted and belonged to gun clubs since I was five years old, and never was I frightened enough to walk public streets hiding a gun. I do not get hitting women, nor having that much fear.....life is too short to live every day as a coward. Sorry, a punk gang banger, or the George Zimmermans of this world do not fit the gun merchant's marketing that it is macho to carry a hidden gun......it is the definition of punk.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

2seaoat wrote:To anyone that thinks that is is cowardly or not becoming of a "real man" to excercise a constitutional right and carry a weapon I would just say that the argument could be made that someone that sits behind a keyboard and anonymously makes post after post belittling others while exercising his right to freedom of speech could equally be called a coward. After all, "real men" dont need to hide their identity while calling others stupid, clueless and other similar derogatory names.....do they?

Nothing belittling in telling the truth.....look at the people who are carrying guns....Zimmerman and the latest character......scardy cats who beat women......the constitution does not give the right to be afraid......and yes real men do not carry concealed weapons.  As to the nature of this forum it is what it is and mere words only make cowards uncomfortable.  A person should be able to argue why they are so afraid and need a hidden gun.   Hey, if you are afraid and this makes you feel braver, who I am to argue.....I simply do not get it, and I have hunted and belonged to gun clubs since I was five years old, and never was I frightened enough to walk public streets hiding a gun.  I do not get hitting women, nor having that much fear.....life is too short to live every day as a coward.  Sorry, a punk gang banger, or the George Zimmermans of this world do not fit the gun merchant's marketing that it is macho to carry a hidden gun......it is the definition of punk.

Says the keyboard coward... you can STFU anytime

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:If he could whoop my asz, why is he carrying a gun?

He is afraid you are carrying a gun.

no stress

no stress

You name one person of the million plus ccwl holders in Florida who you assume to be less than honorable. Facts from the DOJ prove your assumptions false. A miniscule fraction of ccwl are revoked because of felony arrests. Again I say that it is infinitely more cowardly to call people nazis, substance abusers, clueless and stupid while cloaked in anonymity than for someone to take precautions against the possibility of a crime being perpetrated on themselves or a family member and carry a legally obtained and licensed weapon.

2seaoat

Says the keyboard coward... you can STFU anytime

No cowardice from this keyboard.....when have I pouted and ran off from this forum because I could not debate an issue? Ideas stand on their own merits.
I see a Heavyweight champion of the world taking on your hero Putin in the halls of government in Ukraine, and he is a real man with power and intelligence, not some hollywood make believe propaganda which props up a petty little dictator. I am sure if Putin was in America, he would hide a weapon. The heavyweight champ trained in Miami, and I guarantee you he never carried a weapon in America......he would laugh at the thought of the same......and it is real men like Mr. K who will defeat your bitch Putin.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:To anyone that thinks that is is cowardly or not becoming of a "real man" to excercise a constitutional right and carry a weapon I would just say that the argument could be made that someone that sits behind a keyboard and anonymously makes post after post belittling others while exercising his right to freedom of speech could equally be called a coward. After all, "real men" dont need to hide their identity while calling others stupid, clueless and other similar derogatory names.....do they?

Nothing belittling in telling the truth.....look at the people who are carrying guns....Zimmerman and the latest character......scardy cats who beat women......the constitution does not give the right to be afraid......and yes real men do not carry concealed weapons.  As to the nature of this forum it is what it is and mere words only make cowards uncomfortable.  A person should be able to argue why they are so afraid and need a hidden gun.   Hey, if you are afraid and this makes you feel braver, who I am to argue.....I simply do not get it, and I have hunted and belonged to gun clubs since I was five years old, and never was I frightened enough to walk public streets hiding a gun.  I do not get hitting women, nor having that much fear.....life is too short to live every day as a coward.  Sorry, a punk gang banger, or the George Zimmermans of this world do not fit the gun merchant's marketing that it is macho to carry a hidden gun......it is the definition of punk.

We are all grateful to know that you such a Macho, Macho Man that you feel it necessary to ridicule anyone who legally choses to carry a gun to protect themselves and their family.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

2seaoat wrote:Says the keyboard coward... you can STFU anytime

No cowardice from this keyboard.....when have I pouted and ran off from this forum because I could not debate an issue?   Ideas stand on their own merits.
I see a Heavyweight champion of the world taking on your hero Putin in the halls of government in Ukraine, and he is a real man with power and intelligence, not some hollywood make believe propaganda which props up a petty little dictator.  I am sure if Putin was in America, he would hide a weapon.  The heavyweight champ trained in Miami, and I guarantee you he never carried a weapon in America......he would laugh at the thought of the same......and it is real men like Mr. K who will defeat your bitch Putin.

You must get some satisfaction out of obfuscation. When you have no defense for a stupid position you take, you run off into fairy land and propose that some boxer could beat up Putin. You don't have a clue what's going on in Ukraine. It's just Arab spring by another name IMHO. Just some more Soros and company, order out of chaos world domination tour.

no stress

no stress

All of those "real men" that you mentioned .....and none of them use an avatar to hide their statements.

2seaoat

What it is cowardly to say that Zimmerman and his ilk are cowards who are afraid. That a gangbanger who illegally carries a weapon suddenly has power which magically changes his punk status. That honorable and honest people get permits.......but WHY.....they are afraid. Change the subject any way you want......but fearful people getting guns to hide in public because they fear the boogeyman is not what the Gun Lobby tries to project an image .....if there is no fear....if there is courage.....why the need to hide a gun?

I have hit raw nerves on this forum on two issues. That Putin is diminutive and that only fearful cowards carry guns in public. If you can explain away the fear, I will listen.....but in the end a person carrying a hidden weapon is afraid. I will take this bet.......most people who carry hidden guns are women and diminutive men who are fearful. I am open for a debate on this issue and the truth is the truth....if there is no fear.....why the need to hide a gun?

2seaoat

My words are unfiltered and that makes people uncomfortable. If the Heavyweight champion of the world was carrying a weapon and shot an unarmed teenager, or shot into a car of kids......I may think we could have a debate......but we heard Zimmerman whining that he feared for his life in a simple physical altercation.........FEAR

I could be walter mitty and really be wally cox a bean counter who was 100 lbs and tried to be the heavyweight champ.....anoynomous posting creates the same, but the issue is not the nature of this forum and how participation is conducted......it is the value of the concepts.......if you can get around the basic premise that only a fearful person carries a hidden weapon.....and with the rash of cowardly men shooting people because they were afraid......I guess I understand why you would want to change the topic as to the nature of this forum and want to run away from the central tenet. FEAR.

In a sense that confirms my argument. Explain away fear.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

You have proven Gunz right. You are just a keyboard coward and the "nerve" you hit is just our shock at your ignorant statement saying people shouldn't have a gun to defend themselves against criminals who could use anything from a fist to a bazooka. But you deny anyone the right to some chance to defend themselves based on a man, Zimmerman pulling a gun out and shooting another man that was bashing his brains out. You are a very befuddled individual and I feel sorry for those you live with every day.

2seaoat

the "nerve" you hit is just our shock at your ignorant statement saying people shouldn't have a gun to defend themselves against criminals who could use anything from a fist to a bazooka.

Hardly. Where did I say a person should not have a gun to defend themselves? Please look at every quote I have ever made on this subject. My point is that this damn country is filled with sissies and cowards who cede freedom to a police state, and walk around fearful with a hidden gun thinking that they are protected as they build a cocoon in their homes.....do not get involved in their community.....do not confront injustice, and then argue that it is unsafe to walk in public without a weapon. Maybe I will become so old and weak that I can understand such cowardice, but please do not try to run around with smoke and mirrors........a hidden gun is only about one thing......fear.......sorry if I am emasculating folks this evening, but I honestly do not understand this fear.....I simply do not get it......so please rationally explain the fear.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

That gibberish emasculated no one it just solidified that you are delusional and incoherent .

2seaoat

That gibberish emasculated no one it just solidified that you are delusional and incoherent .

If I am delusional and incoherent, I would be met with a valid argument to explain the fear. What makes a grown man so fearful to walk in public that he needs to carry a hidden gun? Just explain the fear. Explain the fear that keeps increasing the criminal justice budget, and keeps the most people in prison than any other nation in the world. Explain the fear which has people accepting police brutality because they are so fricking afraid without a police state.........Any rational person knows that nobody carries a hidden weapon as a general member of the public who is not afraid of something. Explain the fear.

Gunz wrote:You name one person of the million plus ccwl holders in Florida who you assume to be less than honorable.   Facts from the DOJ prove your assumptions false. A miniscule fraction of ccwl are revoked because of felony arrests.   Again I say that it is infinitely more cowardly to call people nazis, substance abusers, clueless and stupid while cloaked in anonymity than for someone to take precautions against the possibility of a crime being perpetrated on themselves or a family member and carry a legally obtained and licensed weapon.

Hey, I can name one....Michael Dunn.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum