Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kerry Mocks Those That Don't Support Climate Initiative

+5
Markle
boards of FL
TEOTWAWKI
Sal
Joanimaroni
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

BobbyOLA wrote:I'm hurt that nobody asked me why the change to BobbyOLA.

When I tried to make that last post,  I wasn't logged in.  I then attempted to log in but it wouldn't take my password.  Either my mind has left me or something screwed up in the system.  I tried several times with what I thought I knew was the password,  the same password I've been using as "Bob",  but it wouldn't take it.   And I could find no link to email me a password reminder or password change.
So I had to re-register to submit the post.  So it wasn't because I wanted a sock.

When I went to choose a new username,  I pondered on it for a minute or two and BobbyOla came right to mind.
The "ola" prefix originated with David C. Rockola,  who along with Rudolph Wurliter,  created the jukeboxes (along with J.P. Seeburg later on).
Because his name was attached to so many jukeboxes,  and because jukeboxes were so much a part of music of the pre-digital era,  the term payola (google search "payola"if you don't know the word) became part of the American lexicon too.

The reason I chose BobbyOLA is for a specific reason.  It has to do with me having an almost miraculous find at yard sales two Saturdays ago.  A find that means more to me in a personal way than anything you can imagine.
So that's why.

LOL, you know I almost said something but with only one post under your belt I wasn't sure.

why don't you see if bords can reset your other account? unless you want a start over.

Sal

Sal

BobbyOLA wrote:

When I tried to make that last post,  I wasn't logged in.  I then attempted to log in but it wouldn't take my password.  Either my mind has left me or something screwed up in the system.  I tried several times with what I thought I knew was the password,  the same password I've been using as "Bob",  but it wouldn't take it.   And I could find no link to email me a password reminder or password change.
So I had to re-register to submit the post.  So it wasn't because I wanted a sock.

And you wonder why you can't navigate Obamacare ...

Rolling Eyes 

lol

Sal wrote:
BobbyOLA wrote:

Rolling Eyes 

lol

LOL hardly anyone could navigate obamacare  Rolling Eyes even the president LMAO !

Sal

Sal

Dot wrote:
Sal wrote:
BobbyOLA wrote:

Rolling Eyes 

lol

LOL hardly anyone could navigate obamacare  Rolling Eyes even the president LMAO !

Yah ....

.... only about 4,000,000 people so far.

lol

Sal wrote:
Dot wrote:
Sal wrote:
BobbyOLA wrote:

Rolling Eyes 

lol

Yah ....

.... only about 4,000,000 people so far.

lol

ah you must be touting the 4 million number of people who got on Medicaid, lol, you are aware that's NOT what they wanted or needed to make this successful right?

and your a little out of date as to the claims I mean lies about the numbers lol

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/wp/2014/01/16/warning-ignore-claims-that-3-9-million-people-signed-up-for-medicaid-because-of-obamacare/

and to go even further, its almost impossible to get the truth out of this admin. frankly I don't think they know how to get the numbers.

they are counting people who create a log in name as a enrollee. people are going on there and then thinking they have ins and then get to the doctor and nope, they do not. its a mad house.

and this is after the law kicked MILLIONS off of their private ins plans and youre gloating over it? LMAO!

even dems are running form this thing.

BobbyOLA

BobbyOLA

I made another language error.  I said "ola" was a prefix to my name when it's actaully a  suffix.  lol

But here's what it's about.  I have a fake jukebox in my house.  "Fake" meaning it's an  actual commercial coin-operated CD jukebox that's about 15 years old,  BUT,  it was designed to be a replica of a jukebox made in 1943. (which is unusual in itself because that was during World War 2 when goods like that weren't being produced because metal was needed for the war effort but they made it anyway and as fate would have it it's the best piece of industrial art ever made).

The reason I have a fake jukebox in my house is only because it's easy to get all the CD's anyone would ever want at yard sales.  And I like to BOTH look at the jukebox AND listen to it play music.  And the original jukeboxes require actual phonograph records and it's getting impossible to get all the music you want on 45's.

That all changed ten days ago.  I bought a library of 800 perfect condition 45's at a yard sale and ALL are the best hit music of the 50's, 60's and 70's.
I've been going through them ever since and trying to pick out what I want to hear on my real jukebox.  But boy is it hard to narrow it down to the 20 records that go on the jukebox.
The jukebox will be a 1948 Rockola.  All I have left is two of that model and out of the two I can make a humdinger of a restored one.  And it's always been one of my favorites and  I've been getting prepared to start the restoration in a few days.
Haven't restored one in 20 years and boy is the anticipation of doing it again giving me a high.  Especially since I now have a library of original records for it.

This is what it will look like when I'm finished with it.  And when it's finished I will do like I've done before in the past.  I will pour me a drink and get me a pillow and lay down on the floor in front of it and let it take me back to the time I was born and beyond. It was made the year before I was born but it will be playing the records I remember from my time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1428+rockola&client=firefox-a&hs=WzI&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=TxMEU8XMCYSB0AG714FA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg&biw=1344&bih=674#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=Gm2mRhgCOKGdiM%253A%3B3RScZLVcSM-94M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmedia.liveauctiongroup.net%252Fi%252F7794%252F9374158_1.jpg%25253Fv%25253D8CC9EEE6180BFB0%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.icollector.com%252FJukebox-Rockola-1428-case-in-VG-orig-cond-works-but-needs-cleaning-adjustment-61-H-x-31-W_i9374158%3B700%3B700

BobbyOLA wrote:I made another language error.  I said "ola" was a prefix to my name when it's actaully a  suffix.  lol

But here's what it's about.  I have a fake jukebox in my house.  "Fake" meaning it's an  actual commercial coin-operated CD jukebox that's about 15 years old,  BUT,  it was designed to be a replica of a jukebox made in 1943. (which is unusual in itself because that was during World War 2 when goods like that weren't being produced because metal was needed for the war effort but they made it anyway and as fate would have it it's the best piece of industrial art ever made).

The reason I have a fake jukebox in my house is only because it's easy to get all the CD's anyone would ever want at yard sales.  And I like to BOTH look at the jukebox AND listen to it play music.  And the original jukeboxes require actual phonograph records and it's getting impossible to get all the music you want on 45's.

That all changed ten days ago.  I bought a library of 800 perfect condition 45's at a yard sale and ALL are the best hit music of the 50's, 60's and 70's.
I've been going through them ever since and trying to pick out what I want to hear on my real jukebox.  But boy is it hard to narrow it down to the 20 records that go on the jukebox.
The jukebox will be a 1948 Rockola.  All I have left is two of that model and out of the two I can make a humdinger of a restored one.  And it's always been one of my favorites and  I've been getting prepared to start the restoration in a few days.
Haven't restored one in 20 years and boy is the anticipation of doing it again giving me a high.  Especially since I now have a library of original records for it.

This is what it will look like when I'm finished with it.  And when it's finished I will do like I've done before in the past.  I will pour me a drink and get me a pillow and lay down on the floor in front of it and let it take me back to the time I was born and beyond.  It was made the year before I was born but it will be playing the records I remember from my time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1428+rockola&client=firefox-a&hs=WzI&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=TxMEU8XMCYSB0AG714FA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg&biw=1344&bih=674#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=Gm2mRhgCOKGdiM%253A%3B3RScZLVcSM-94M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmedia.liveauctiongroup.net%252Fi%252F7794%252F9374158_1.jpg%25253Fv%25253D8CC9EEE6180BFB0%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.icollector.com%252FJukebox-Rockola-1428-case-in-VG-orig-cond-works-but-needs-cleaning-adjustment-61-H-x-31-W_i9374158%3B700%3B700

That is so nice. I just love that thing. One day I am gong to own one of those things. It is on my bucket list. That and a pin ball machine. we have that in common I suppose.

what 70's records did you get? That's my favorite decade Cool 

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Dot wrote:

what 70's records did you get? That's my favorite decade  

Chrissy I'm going to make a listing of all of it before long to make it easier to choose the records and and make jukebox title strips and when I have that list I'll post the list.

What is so miraculous is virtually every one of the 800 or so records are all hits of the time.  
It's a weird story.  Four Saturdays ago a yard sale popped up at 4810 Creighton Rd.  It wasn't advertised.  The guy just put out signs.
I stumbled onto it early in the morning and it was a whole house sale being conducted inside the house.  He was selling off the contents of a parent's home.

One entire bedroom of the house was filled with nothing but records.  LP's,  45's and a good amount of 8-tracks and cassettes.  Boxes and boxes of them on shelves surrounding the room.
I could pick out anything for a buck apiece.  I started going through the 45's and not long after another local record guy showed up.  So he took the LP's and I took the 45's.  We both spent over an hour in there and I cherry picked the 45's and he cherry picked the LP's.  We were both buying obscure collector records for resale.  

The next Saturday he put an ad in the craigslist garage sale listings.  And again the following Saturday.
And then two Saturdays ago he had the last sale and advertised all the remaining records would be sold for $150.
By then it had all been picked over by many people.  And all that was left were the hit stuff that sold well.  Because record collectors don't want those records.

When I saw that last ad is when it dawned on me.  I need all those for music for that jukebox.
So I went back and it was just me and some older teenager there.  And all he wanted was LP's.  I got the guy to sell me all the 45's left in the room for $30.
I've now gone through them all and I found a collector record I missed in the beginning which will eBay for $40-50.   So the whole library of hit 45's has now become free.
I've never seen anything like it in a garage sale before and I'll never see it again.

Bob wrote:
Dot wrote:

Chrissy I'm going to make a listing of all of it before long to make it easier to choose the records and and make jukebox title strips and when I have that list I'll post the list.

What is so miraculous is virtually every one of the 800 or so records are all hits of the time.  
It's a weird story.  Four Saturdays ago a yard sale popped up at 4810 Creighton Rd.  It wasn't advertised.  The guy just put out signs.
I stumbled onto it early in the morning and it was a whole house sale being conducted inside the house.  He was selling off the contents of a parent's home.

One entire bedroom of the house was filled with nothing but records.  LP's,  45's and a good amount of 8-tracks and cassettes.  Boxes and boxes of them on shelves surrounding the room.
I could pick out anything for a buck apiece.  I started going through the 45's and not long after another local record guy showed up.  So he took the LP's and I took the 45's.  We both spent over an hour in there and I cherry picked the 45's and he cherry picked the LP's.  We were both buying obscure collector records for resale.  

The next Saturday he put an ad in the craigslist garage sale listings.  And again the following Saturday.
And then two Saturdays ago he had the last sale and advertised all the remaining records would be sold for $150.
By then it had all been picked over by many people.  And all that was left were the hit stuff that sold well.  Because record collectors don't want those records.

When I saw that last ad is when it dawned on me.  I need all those for music for that jukebox.
So I went back and it was just me and some older teenager there.  And all he wanted was LP's.  I got the guy to sell me all the 45's left in the room for $30.
I've now gone through them all and I found a collector record I missed in the beginning which will eBay for $40-50.   So the whole library of hit 45's has now become free.
I've never seen anything like it in a garage sale before and I'll never see it again.

You are the luckiest damn person with this stuff. You know a lot about this stuff. Its interesting. I cant speak for all, but I love it when you talk about this topic. You know, I admire you for having this hobby and going out and doing this. I can tell you really love it.

my hobby used to be boating and fishing and camping. not so much down here. I really need a hobby but I cant afford one like yours and I don't know much about that stuff.

anyway, I look forward to the list. Thanks for responding.

Yella

Yella

Bob wrote:
Dot wrote:

Perhaps you will dig through that box and come up with one of my favorites from 1953, a tune that was an incredible hit called "I'll get you yet, you booger" by Whitey Schnott and the Three Nosepickers. God, that was popular at sock hops.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum