Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Molino Train Derailment

+2
knothead
RottiesRule
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Molino Train Derailment - Page 2 Empty Re: Molino Train Derailment 1/29/2014, 12:27 am

RottiesRule

knothead wrote:
RottiesRule wrote:
knothead wrote:I'm feeling a bit stupid for revealing that Rottie but it was a long time ago, I try to conceal my identity.

No worries. It was a long time ago and I doubt your name comes up.
Besides, you don't have any enemies on this Forum that I know of.

YOU survived a train wreck.....amazing.

I agree . . . during my career on the RR, I had many 'incidents', however, this is one of the more dramatic.  There was a NTSB investigation and their determination was that a "washout" was caused by beavers tunneling under the roadbed in the curve making it unstable.  It was 1:21 AM, drizzling rain and I was running about 47 MPH with around 9000 tons of train when I first saw the washout.  Too late to "prevent" it so my only option was to not over react and hoped we could get over the washout through sheer forward momentum (which we did).  I had five locomotives and the 1st or lead unit and the 2nd unit remained on the rail but the 3rd was listed over, the 4th was on its side, and the 5th upside down on the embankment.  We could hear a very loud sound of pressurized gas escaping and knew immediately that it had to be one of the 6 loaded LP gas tanks had ruptured.  My brakeman cut the lead unit away and we pulled away to a safe distance and it exploded about ten minutes later with a mushroom explosion like I hope to God I never again witness.  I notified the Disp. to begin an evacuation immediately.  It was chaos my friend.

Holy Cow! If you had panicked and hit the brakes it would have been much worse. Good Job.
Thank you for sharing.
It is amazing to me that we truly do not know what our fellow posters have been through.

27Molino Train Derailment - Page 2 Empty Re: Molino Train Derailment 1/29/2014, 12:28 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

knothead wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:
knothead wrote:I'm feeling a bit stupid for revealing that Rottie but it was a long time ago, I try to conceal my identity.

If you are that engineer that was dating my ex wife you been through worse than a train wreck.

T, I desperately tried to stay away from other men's wives . . .

She was fair game at the time and I kind of liked him cause when she came back to me she said he treated her awful.

28Molino Train Derailment - Page 2 Empty Re: Molino Train Derailment 1/29/2014, 12:30 am

knothead

knothead

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
knothead wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

If you are that engineer that was dating my ex wife you been through worse than a train wreck.

She was fair game at the time and I kind of liked him cause when she came back to me she said he treated her awful.

T, I honestly drew lines with married women . . . it was hands off! No exceptions!

29Molino Train Derailment - Page 2 Empty Re: Molino Train Derailment 1/29/2014, 12:33 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

knothead wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:
knothead wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

T, I honestly drew lines with married women . . . it was hands off! No exceptions!

It's okay the engineer dude found a much better match and is happily married according to facebook.

30Molino Train Derailment - Page 2 Empty Re: Molino Train Derailment 1/29/2014, 12:33 am

knothead

knothead

RottiesRule wrote:
knothead wrote:
RottiesRule wrote:

No worries. It was a long time ago and I doubt your name comes up.
Besides, you don't have any enemies on this Forum that I know of.

YOU survived a train wreck.....amazing.

I agree . . . during my career on the RR, I had many 'incidents', however, this is one of the more dramatic.  There was a NTSB investigation and their determination was that a "washout" was caused by beavers tunneling under the roadbed in the curve making it unstable.  It was 1:21 AM, drizzling rain and I was running about 47 MPH with around 9000 tons of train when I first saw the washout.  Too late to "prevent" it so my only option was to not over react and hoped we could get over the washout through sheer forward momentum (which we did).  I had five locomotives and the 1st or lead unit and the 2nd unit remained on the rail but the 3rd was listed over, the 4th was on its side, and the 5th upside down on the embankment.  We could hear a very loud sound of pressurized gas escaping and knew immediately that it had to be one of the 6 loaded LP gas tanks had ruptured.  My brakeman cut the lead unit away and we pulled away to a safe distance and it exploded about ten minutes later with a mushroom explosion like I hope to God I never again witness.  I notified the Disp. to begin an evacuation immediately.  It was chaos my friend.

Holy Cow! If you had panicked and hit the brakes it would have been much worse. Good Job.
Thank you for sharing.
It is amazing to me that we truly do not know what our fellow posters have been through.

No problem Rottie we never know who we are conversing with here . . I was a bit shocked myself when I read the post about the incident tonight. A lot of guys will have a rough night believe me . .

31Molino Train Derailment - Page 2 Empty Re: Molino Train Derailment 1/29/2014, 1:03 am

2seaoat

Did you have to testify beyond the NTSB? My grandfather was an engineer in Birmingham retiring in 1957. He would leave the engine and walk the track when creeks were coming over the rails........I remember those discussions as a kid. My grandfather also was involved in quite a few crossing fatalities as Alabama to Atlanta had a great man crossings without signals. He took those pretty hard. I remember at 5 him taking me to his engine in the Birmingham yard and showing me off to his fellow engineers........he was a FDR man and was a strong union man when everybody in Birmingham was a democrat and FDR supporter. My mother was always pissed at her dad because she found out he had a girlfriend in Atlanta.......those railroad engineers in the 30s were like the playboys of their time.......

32Molino Train Derailment - Page 2 Empty Re: Molino Train Derailment 1/29/2014, 1:16 am

knothead

knothead

2seaoat wrote:Did you have to testify beyond the NTSB?  My grandfather was an engineer in Birmingham retiring in 1957.  He would leave the engine and walk the track when creeks were coming over the rails........I remember those discussions as a kid.  My grandfather also was involved in quite a few crossing fatalities as Alabama to Atlanta had a great man crossings without signals.  He took those pretty hard.  I remember at 5 him taking me to his engine in the Birmingham yard and showing me off to his fellow engineers........he was a FDR man and was a strong union man when everybody in Birmingham was a democrat and FDR supporter.   My mother was always pissed at her dad because she found out he had a girlfriend in Atlanta.......those railroad engineers in the 30s were like the playboys of their time.......

I was deposed by the investigators Mr. Oats. Interesting story about your Grandfather . . . we have lots of stories mostly tragic ones unfortunately. My first fatality was at the Country Club crossing leaving Defuniak Springs and the guy did what we are all not to do . . . pull up onto the crossing and stop . . . . I T-Boned him . . . he was a teacher . . . . upset is not the appropriate description for my feelings . . . I was devastated although I was helpless to alter the outcome. Your Grandfather being a Democrat made me smile . . . so similar to my own history since my oldest brother's middle name is Delano originating of course from pure devotion to FDR. Many of the old heads had another life at other end of the line on layover . . . I trained under the last of the steam guys (WWII era) and they were memorable characters.

33Molino Train Derailment - Page 2 Empty Re: Molino Train Derailment 1/29/2014, 2:17 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Knot you have a pm

34Molino Train Derailment - Page 2 Empty Re: Molino Train Derailment 1/29/2014, 2:23 am

Maybe you can shed some light on these pictures.  We found them at my MIL's house after she passed away.  There are 6 photos that appear to have been shot on the same day. Three show a family picnic, with everyone turned to look off to the side in the last shot. One picture has "1961" written on the back.  There is nobody left who can tell the story of these pictures.

Molino Train Derailment - Page 2 Picnic10

Molino Train Derailment - Page 2 1961-110

Molino Train Derailment - Page 2 1961-210

Molino Train Derailment - Page 2 1961-310

35Molino Train Derailment - Page 2 Empty Re: Molino Train Derailment 1/29/2014, 9:43 am

knothead

knothead

Birdy, those pics you posted do not reveal anything that is identifiable: otherwise, it remains a mystery as to where and what. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum