Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Life after retirement

+9
SheSurfs
PBulldog2
Hospital Bob
TEOTWAWKI
othershoe1030
2seaoat
knothead
Sal
no stress
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Life after retirement Empty Life after retirement 1/14/2014, 12:42 pm

no stress

no stress

I have about 28 months left in the DROP and then my career as a firefighter will be ended. As of late I have been seriously trying to get my ducks in a row as to what I want to do. My wife and I are selling our big place in Molino as it is way too much work to keep up. The kids are out and most of our animals are gone. Once it is sold we are going to find something kinda closer to town that will still give us room to do our dog training thing but wont take me 6 hrs to get the grass cut. The wife is going to continue to work part time so I may take a job resupplying ATM machines for a local bank. supposed to be a fairly good gig and good pay. Financial wise I should be good between my fire pension and DROP money and a fairly good chunk that I managed to squirrel away into T Rowe price over the years. Couple of questions. Should my wife and I continue to work until we are eligible for medicare? Should we both do part time work so that we can still do some traveling while our health is good? I'd love to hear some advice from some of you retired folks.

2Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/14/2014, 2:21 pm

Quit as soon as you can and start doing the things you want to do. As you get older, heath and other issues may come up and rob you of your dreams, Strike while the iron is hot...

3Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/14/2014, 2:35 pm

no stress

no stress

Mr Ichi wrote:Quit as soon as you can and start doing the things you want to do.  As you get older, heath and other issues may come up and rob you of your dreams,  Strike while the iron is hot...
I like that. Thanks

4Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/14/2014, 3:17 pm

Sal

Sal

I'm with Itchi.

My brother-in-law's mother was a very active and energetic person who always wanted to travel and experience new things.  She was married to a man who was 10-15 years her senior, and although I don't know if the word Alzheimer's was ever used, he began to slip and didn't want to go far from home.  When he died, she thought it was really gonna be her time to spread her wings.  Unfortunately, she very quickly began to suffer one health setback after another, until today she is nearly bedridden in a nursing home and wondering why it's taking so long to die.

Really sad.

Carpe diem.

5Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/14/2014, 3:56 pm

knothead

knothead

I say do what YOU and your wife want to do . . . some actually enjoy work (I'm one) because the other side of the coin is you can only travel so much. Retiring in the literal sense can go either way mentally, either another adventure or horribly depressing so do what gives you pleasure (and legal) lol.

6Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/14/2014, 5:08 pm

2seaoat

Downsize and simplify......the rest will fall into place.

7Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/14/2014, 5:31 pm

Being retired doesn't mean you quit living. It is the opposite. You now will have the freedom to do what you want with out the constrains of a structured system. If you like structure, then you can also do that . It is your choice.
The issues than retired people speak of being bored, stagnated, unmotivated is not within my grasp.

8Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/14/2014, 5:41 pm

I still haven't figured out what I want to do... almost five years now. Somehow I've wound up teaching tennis.

Never thght I'd do that... but I'm enjoying it for now. I liked knothead's advice... do what you want to do.

9Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/14/2014, 9:18 pm

Mr Ichi wrote:Being retired doesn't mean you quit living.  It is the opposite.  You now will have the freedom to do what you want with out the constrains of a structured system.  If you like structure, then you can also do that .  It is your choice.
The issues than  retired people speak of being bored, stagnated, unmotivated is not within my grasp.

After 30 years of retail management I said no more and walked out the door. Best thing I ever did. Retired at last. Then boredom set in. Started my own business. Love it. Not working 50-60 hours week like I did in retail. Now I work just enough to keep me busy. And I have plenty of time for the family and fishing.

10Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/14/2014, 11:08 pm

Gunz wrote:I have about 28 months left in the DROP and then my career as a firefighter will be ended.   As of late I have been seriously trying to get my ducks in a row as to what I want to do.   My wife and I are selling our big place in Molino as it is way too much work to keep up.  The kids are out and most of our animals are gone.   Once it is sold we are going to find something kinda closer to town that will still give us room to do our dog training thing but wont take me 6 hrs to get the grass cut.   The wife is going to continue to work part time so I may take a job resupplying ATM machines for a local bank.  supposed to be a fairly good gig and good pay.   Financial wise I should be good between my fire pension and DROP money and a fairly good chunk that I managed to squirrel away into T Rowe price over the years.   Couple of questions.   Should my wife and I continue to work until we are eligible for medicare?     Should we both do part time work so that we can still do some traveling while our health is good?   I'd love to hear some advice from some of you retired folks.

Im so glad to see you. I was worried about you when I saw that thread about a paramed.

Like many of the others, let me congratulate you on reaching and being able to retire. you deserve it. now have the best damn time ever each day as possible. Yes, be lazy if you want, go off on a trip if you want, take a side job if it makes you happy... yes, like they said... do what ever you want and feel like. make it count............

congrats again!

Smile

11Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/14/2014, 11:36 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I've been retired for about ten years. I like renovating houses so I've done some of that. My husband and I are rebuilding a house in Algiers (New Orleans) and I'm looking to get into the art scene in NO too. Sometimes we go camping with a small travel trailer. A phrase you hear often amongst the old folks in the campground is "while we are still able". This is really the bottom line. If your health goes your days go from one doctors appointment to another and that is no way to spend time if you can help it.
Do what you like or love. They say the most regrets at the end of life are not for things you did but things you didn't do. Tick tock, tick toc. Do what you can as soon as it feels comfortable!
Congratulations!

12Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/15/2014, 12:17 am

knothead

knothead

othershoe1030 wrote:I've been retired for about ten years. I like renovating houses so I've done some of that. My husband and I are rebuilding a house in Algiers (New Orleans) and I'm looking to get into the art scene in NO too. Sometimes we go camping with a small travel trailer. A phrase you hear often amongst the old folks in the campground is "while we are still able". This is really the bottom line. If your health goes your days go from one doctors appointment to another and that is no way to spend time if you can help it.
Do what you like or love. They say the most regrets at the end of life are not for things you did but things you didn't do. Tick tock, tick toc. Do what you can as soon as it feels comfortable!
Congratulations!

Great advice OS, health is wealth! Laughing 

13Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/15/2014, 12:26 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I am retired since July 4th. So far so good. My priorities are sleep well, work out everyday and eat right.. I am single and that has saved me a lot of problems but on the other hand a good woman is an advantage anytime, they are just few and far between IMHO. Lucky you.

Ray Bradbury said a man should do all the things that scare the shit out of him...his words not mine...but I think if you want to enjoy life step over your comfort line.

14Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/15/2014, 12:30 am

It is not just all about you. If you are lucky enough to be married or have another person in your life, Your plans and dreams will go to hell in a hurry if your better half dies or become seriously ill. Love the one you are with, while you can. Strike while the iron is hot.

15Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/15/2014, 12:55 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

You are gettin under my skin ichi. I had two wives one for 30 years. No it ain't all about me but I would be stupid to tie myself down at this age to anyone. I don't even have a cat any more. You have fond memories so do I ...leave me alone.,

16Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/15/2014, 1:02 am

TEOTWAWKI wrote:You are gettin under my skin ichi. I had two wives one for 30 years. No it ain't all about me but I would be stupid to tie myself down at this age to anyone. I don't even have a cat any more. You have fond memories so do I ...leave me alone.,

LOL I said " If you are married" not if you were married.

17Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/15/2014, 1:07 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Mr Ichi wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:You are gettin under my skin ichi. I had two wives one for 30 years. No it ain't all about me but I would be stupid to tie myself down at this age to anyone. I don't even have a cat any more. You have fond memories so do I ...leave me alone.,

LOL I said " If you are married" not if you were married.

Oh I thought you were saying I was selfish for not beating the bush for a new wife....oh hell no. I did my time.

18Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/15/2014, 1:21 am

Chrissy wrote:
Gunz wrote:I have about 28 months left in the DROP and then my career as a firefighter will be ended.   As of late I have been seriously trying to get my ducks in a row as to what I want to do.   My wife and I are selling our big place in Molino as it is way too much work to keep up.  The kids are out and most of our animals are gone.   Once it is sold we are going to find something kinda closer to town that will still give us room to do our dog training thing but wont take me 6 hrs to get the grass cut.   The wife is going to continue to work part time so I may take a job resupplying ATM machines for a local bank.  supposed to be a fairly good gig and good pay.   Financial wise I should be good between my fire pension and DROP money and a fairly good chunk that I managed to squirrel away into T Rowe price over the years.   Couple of questions.   Should my wife and I continue to work until we are eligible for medicare?     Should we both do part time work so that we can still do some traveling while our health is good?   I'd love to hear some advice from some of you retired folks.

Im so glad to see you. I was worried about you when I saw that thread about a paramed.

Like many of the others, let me congratulate you on reaching and being able to retire. you deserve it. now have the best damn time ever each day as possible.  Yes, be lazy if you want, go off on a trip if you want, take a side job if it makes you happy... yes, like they said... do what ever you want and feel like. make it count............

congrats again!

Smile

Can you read? He said he had 28 months until he retired. Oy vey!

19Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/15/2014, 10:21 pm

Your entire adult life has been about doing for others. Retirement is the time you do for yourself, whatever you might want to do. If you want to travel, do it while you are still young and healthy.

My parents retired before they were 60. They sold all their stock and bought a fifth wheeler. They would spend 6-8 months on the road and then park in their back yard for the winter. My dad died when he was only 63. Mother and I have always been so glad that they got the chance to see the US together before his untimely death. She said it was like having a honeymoon only better.

20Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/15/2014, 10:26 pm

BirdyBack wrote:Your entire adult life has been about doing for others.  Retirement is the time you do for yourself, whatever you might want to do. If you want to travel, do it while you are still young and healthy.  

My parents retired before they were 60.  They sold all their stock and bought a fifth wheeler.  They would spend 6-8 months on the road and then park in their back yard for the winter.  My dad died when he was only 63.  Mother and I have always been so glad that they got the chance to see the US together before his untimely death.  She said it was like having a honeymoon only better.

That's a sweet story and good advice, thanks for sharing.

21Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/16/2014, 12:30 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The whole time I was working I was extremely fortunate.  Because I never really had to work.  I turned my hobby into a vocation and loved every day of it.
But interestingly,  after I retired from that about six years ago (because I became a full-time caregiver to a very invalid mother who died three years ago),  I have never been happier in my life.  Go figure.  You would think I would miss "work" but I don't.  I've become the laziest no account slacker in the world and love every minute of that too.  I discovered that as much as I liked the work I did,  I was always so wrapped up in it that I had been missing out on  some of life's other pleasures.  And I'm making up for that now while I'm still able to.

22Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/16/2014, 2:12 pm

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

I suppose I am truly retired now. :-)

Yes, I went through the depression and lack of motivation period. My life has always been structured around my work, with my personal identity closely tied to my work. I wasn't quite sure who I was for a couple of months. The unsuccessful attempt at my age to find a local position in my specialty made it even worse. As time went on, I came to realize that 35 years in my profession was long enough.

That has cleared, though! I am far healthier, happier and content than I was when I was working for a corporation.

For the first time EVER, I will be able to devote this spring to my gardens and greenhouse. No sleeping during the day, no excessive fatigue due to 12 hour shifts. I am so excited about that!  Laughing 

I've gotten into volunteer work, too. I call it my "soul food." I am not paid for my time, but my soul loves the rewards that come from helping others.  Very Happy 

23Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/16/2014, 2:19 pm

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Deleted.... :-) Double-posted.

Last edited by PBulldog2 on 1/16/2014, 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

24Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/16/2014, 2:21 pm

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Birdyback, if I had my way, my husband and I would sell the house and buy a motor home. NOW. And GO! I would even give up my gardens for that, although I'm sure I would have some herbs growing somehow.

Hubby doesn't agree. He moved around a lot as a child and then as an adult, so he loves having a permanent home.

I told him we could use some of the money to buy a couple of acres in the mountains somewhere, upon which we would build one of those "tiny" houses I posted about a couple of weeks ago. We could keep the motor home in the yard when we weren't traveling, even though it might be larger than the house.  Very Happy

Life after retirement Tinyca10

25Life after retirement Empty Re: Life after retirement 1/16/2014, 5:24 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Pitbull I saw this deal yesterday on craigslist and I almost jumped on it..looks like a good buy ???

http://pensacola.en.craigslist.org/rvs/4278691385.html

Life after retirement 00m0m_eJG8mK3umuE_600x450

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum