Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I'm gonna go see a Steve McQueen movie at the theater this afternoon.

+5
Telstar
Markle
2seaoat
Sal
Hospital Bob
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It opened today.

Let me guess where.. Rex, Isis? Sky Chief?

Sal

Sal

Anyone who doesn't know that there's an African-British director with a critically acclaimed movie in theaters, who goes by the same name as the late American action film actor, has been hiding under a rock.

Maybe the Pen.  I used to like to go there.

Opened in 1946, the “whites-only” theatre was the second largest theatre in the city at that time. The building was constructed of concrete with ornamental brick at a cost of $100,000, and housed commercial spaces on both sides of the theatre, and a parking lot in the rear had a capacity for 525 cars. Delta Theatre Supply furnished the equipment. Clinton Vucovich was the manager.
I'm gonna go see a Steve McQueen movie at the theater this afternoon. Large

I'm gonna go see a Steve McQueen movie at the theater this afternoon.

Take notes so you can write a long apologetic post and tell how guilty it made you feel.

Sal

Sal

Ahhh, a tale of rank prejudice, systematic oppression, and the degradation of an entire race of human beings by people who considered themselves inherently superior ...

... but enough about the forum, you have a movie to catch.

2seaoat

The term nostalgia describes a sentimentality for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.

I suppose some American citizens do not share that same sentiment when thinking about old theaters. Silly me.......to think that everything was not really good and not everybody was happy.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The Pen Theater was unique.  It didn't have a concession stand.  The theater owners also owned a soda shop next door to it and there was an open door between that and the theater lobby.  Theater patrons would go through the door into the soda shop and buy food and drink and bring it back into the movie theater.

Last edited by Bob on 11/8/2013, 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The movie is very very intense. It's based on the true story of a free black man who was kidnapped in the north by slave traders and and sold into slavery in Louisiana for 12 years until he was able to prove he had been a free man all along when he was finally freed again.
He wrote a book in the 1850's entitled "12 Years A Slave" to chronicle his story and that book was the basis for the movie.

I didn't know about this story until the movie so I'm going to research it to find out what I can learn about this person (his name was Soloman Northup).

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:Anyone who doesn't know that there's an African-British director with a critically acclaimed movie in theaters, who goes by the same name as the late American action film actor, has been hiding under a rock.
Yeah, most everyone you know must keep track of all the current, past and future directors of movies.

I see he has the mandatory white wife

I'm gonna go see a Steve McQueen movie at the theater this afternoon. Bianca+Stigter+EWFBSJVY0tVm

Telstar

Telstar

This weeks Dead Member Thread. Good one Bob.

polecat

polecat

bigdog

I'm gonna go see a Steve McQueen movie at the theater this afternoon. Damian11I'm gonna go see a Steve McQueen movie at the theater this afternoon. Damian11I'm gonna go see a Steve McQueen movie at the theater this afternoon. Damian11The first date my husband and I had was in 1969 to a Steve McQueen movie at the old Navy Point Theater. It was called "The Reivers" and was a very good movie.
Steve wouldn't have ever put his hand on a ladies crotch like in that picture ya' posted though Polecat, not in a movie anyway.

You've got t know that.

He was a man's man and also eye candy  for us ladies too. A rare combination. 
Not to mention a great actor.

The guy above always reminds me of Steve McQueen though, and he's just as good an actor. I can't believe how much they look alike.  Sorry for the triple photo, I really suck at inserting items onto this forum.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Steve McQueen was a good actor and had the sexy look! However, he was a spouse abuser, drug addict and actually a woman hater/womanizer.

So, you have no idea what he would or would not do.

Telstar

Telstar

He was always jealous of Paul Newman. McQueen had a tiny role in Somebody Up There Likes Me and Steve never forgot it, thus the strange titles in The Towering Inferno. Bruce Lee gave self defense lessons to McQueen and told Steve he wanted to be a bigger star than him. Steve gave Bruce an autographed picture of himself signed "To Bruce, my biggest fan." Lee didn't think it was funny. McQueen was an intended target of the Manson family. McQueen and Lee will both be portrayed in the Manson flick Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, due out soon. McQueen was shocked to find he was on Nixon's enemies list, saying he voted for the S.O.B.

bigdog

Joanimaroni wrote:Steve McQueen was a good actor and had the sexy look! However, he was a spouse abuser, drug addict and actually a woman hater/womanizer.

I was speaking of on the screen, because actors didn't grab women that way in the movies back then.

That's why my post said "not in a movie, anyway."

I don't know squat about Steve McQueen's real life.
I don't read those magazines today and didn't much back then either.  

I did like some of McQueen's movies though, especially one called "The Sand Pebbles."

Telstar

Telstar

bigdog wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Steve McQueen was a good actor and had the sexy look! However, he was a spouse abuser, drug addict and actually a woman hater/womanizer.

I was speaking of on the screen, because actors didn't grab women that way in the movies back then.

That's why my post said "not in a movie, anyway."

I don't know squat about Steve McQueen's real life.
I don't read those magazines today and didn't much back then either.  

I did like some of McQueen's movies though, especially one called "The Sand Pebbles."

"The Sand Pebbles" was McQueen's only Oscar nomination for best actor.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Today was the 3rd anniversary of the loss of our friend Bob. I only knew him for a short time, but he was a good friend.
This was my favorite Steve McQueen movie:

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

RIP NotBob. I enjoyed your friendship.

Telstar

Telstar

Floridatexan wrote:
Today was the 3rd anniversary of the loss of our friend Bob.  I only knew him for a short time, but he was a good friend.
This was my favorite Steve McQueen movie:

He obviously loved movies. Odd that The one you posted is one of the few McQueen movies I've never seen. Lee Remick was a great friend of Stephen Sondheim. There was even talk about marriage but they decided against it because he's gay.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum