Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I liked Steve McQueen because..

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I liked Steve McQueen because.. Empty I liked Steve McQueen because.. 12/31/2013, 11:55 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

He liked women and motorcycles...not a bad role model for a young man  back then...
I liked Steve McQueen because.. 500full

2seaoat

Steve McQueen a role model, and a little shirtless Putin on a horse a tough guy.......T a pattern is developing......a tell of sorts........is this what you think a role model should be?

In person, McQueen was a short, boorish man of few words — sometimes choosing to communicate only in grunts.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2057769/Steve-McQueen-Wife-beater-drug-taker-relentless-philanderer-brutal-truth-actor.html

I can see some girl today posting a picture of Lindsey Lohan from thirty years back and talking about what a great role model she was for a young girl.

fantasy and reality.......a gap which probably will never be closed.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

You are entitled to your idiotic opinion. Why do you have such a demeaning view of Putin. I guess because he's not Communist enough to suit your punkass political/economic stance. I think you need another short guy to kick your butt and wise you up.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Unfortunately as a teenager I never read all the girly magazines I only know what I saw in Biker mags and on the big screen...who knew ?

Hard to believe now that he was widely viewed as the most attractive alpha male of his time.

Yet the legend of Steve McQueen, star of just a few great movies and a great many terrible ones, has proved remarkably enduring.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2057769/Steve-McQueen-Wife-beater-drug-taker-relentless-philanderer-brutal-truth-actor.html#ixzz2p4YWpynp
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Darn he came a long ways from his past....

the reality was a nightmare. Born to a teenage prostitute, he never knew his father — a circus stuntman who deserted her six months after they met.

Abandoning him to live with a great-uncle in Missouri for years at a time, his mother would occasionally relent and take him back. By the age of nine, though, he was being beaten so badly by her new husband that he took to sleeping on the streets of Los Angeles.

After running away to join a travelling circus, he eventually returned to the city, where he joined a street gang.

At 14, he served 18 months in reform school for stealing hubcaps; at 16, he was working as a ‘towel boy’ in a brothel, where he was encouraged to sample the goods whenever he pleased.

Toughened up by a three-year stint in the Marines, he pitched up in New York, where he survived by shoplifting and doing menial jobs.

His salvation came when an acquaintance suggested joined an acting school. It seemed a good way of meeting pretty girls, so he decided to have a go.

2seaoat

T,
The reality..... not the fantasy.....McQueen was seriously f'd up with his upbringing, and I am sure there are girls today that think Lindsey Lohan and her cool.......is all that. Rock Hudson was a hollywood fantasy......opium for the masses, but who was he really. McQueen could not have a mature relationship with a woman and what you think is cool is really pretty pathetic for a grown man to think this is what cool really means. As far as Putin being a tough guy, I hear they have contests in Australian bars called Putin throwing contests.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

You talk pretty tough about a guy who could nuke the US out of existence.

2seaoat

You talk pretty tough about a guy who could nuke the US out of existence.

The way I figure it......he would hit Sydney first.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

http://www.spike.com/articles/rurrtk/the-top-seven-awesome-things-you-didnt-know-about-steve-mcqueen

Awesome things about Steve McQueen...

He also went AWOL for a period of time after taking for weekend leave, and splitting town with a chick for two weeks. When he was found by the shore patrol, he resisted returning to base, which landed him in the brig for 41 days.

This time in a dank hellhole must've given him a chance to sort things out, because he went on to become a decorated solider, later saving five Marines in the Arctic just before their tank broke through the ice and sank into the ocean. He went on to be stationed as a guard at then-president Harry Truman's yacht.

_-----------------------------------------------------------

In the early 1950s, while McQueen was studying acting in New York City, he began racing motorcycles competitively at Long Island City Raceway, regularly making about $100 per weekend in winnings.

When converted to 2009 dollars, that's about 800 bucks a week, just for kicking ass at motorcycle racing. Not too shabby.
He also pulled in extra cash fixing motorcycles at a shop in New York, where he once repaired one of James Dean's bikes.

So aside from commanding more money than anyone in Hollywood, having a notable racing career, and being a legendary partier, Steve McQueen could also really kick ass. As in, third degree black belt level of ass kicking.

McQueen was close friends with Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris and trained with them.
Steve studied Tang Soo Do with ninth degree black belt Pat E. Johnson, while his son Chad studied the martial art Jeet Kune Do with Bruce Lee personally.

Chad was also taught Taekwondo by Chuck Norris, and Steve would later convince Norris to take acting lessons. At Bruce Lee's funeral in 1973, Steve was one of the pallbearers.  

So what does all this add up to? The conclusion that Steve McQueen was a genuine bad ass.

2seaoat

The conclusion that Steve McQueen was a genuine bad ass.

I love this place  jocolor 

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Well seaoat I guess your role model was Liberace...

I liked Steve McQueen because.. Lcsh784t4oq77h4l

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Hmm.  Interesting question.  Which actor would be my role model?

I think it might be Charles Bronson as Paul Kersey in the Death Wish series.

And interestingly,  Bronson and McQueen were both in The Great Escape.
My favorite McQueen role was Frank Bullitt.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

from wiki...

McQueen developed a persistent cough in 1978. He gave up cigarettes and underwent antibiotic treatments without improvement. Shortness of breath grew more pronounced and on December 22, 1979, after filming The Hunter, a biopsy revealed pleural mesothelioma,[63] a cancer associated with asbestos exposure for which there is no known cure. The asbestos was thought to have been in the protective suits worn in his race car driving days, but in fact the auto racing suits McQueen wore were made of Nomex, a DuPont fire-resistant aramid fiber that contains no asbestos. By February 1980, there was evidence of widespread metastasis. While he tried to keep the condition a secret, the National Enquirer disclosed that he had "terminal cancer" on March 11, 1980. In July, McQueen traveled to Rosarito Beach, Mexico for unconventional treatment after US doctors told him they could do nothing to prolong his life.[64]

Controversy arose over McQueen's Mexican trip, because McQueen sought a non-traditional cancer treatment that used coffee enemas, frequent washing with shampoos, daily injections of fluid containing live cells from cows and sheep, massage and laetrile, a supposedly "natural" anti-cancer drug available in Mexico, but not approved by the US Food and Drug Administration. McQueen paid for these unconventional medical treatments by himself in cash payments which was said to have cost an upwards of $40,000 per month during his three-month stay in Mexico. McQueen was treated by William Donald Kelley, whose only medical license had been (until revoked in 1976) for orthodontics.[65] Kelley's methods created a sensation in the traditional and tabloid press when it was known that McQueen was a patient.[66][67] McQueen returned to the US in early October. Despite metastasis of the cancer through McQueen's body, Kelley publicly announced that McQueen would be completely cured and return to normal life. McQueen's condition soon worsened and "huge" tumors developed in his abdomen.[65] In late October 1980, McQueen flew to Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua, Mexico to have an abdominal tumor on his liver (weighing around five pounds) removed, despite warnings from his US doctors that the tumor was inoperable and his heart could not withstand the surgery.[65][68] McQueen checked into a Juarez clinic under the assumed name of "Sam Shepard" where the doctors and staff at the small, low-income clinic were unaware of his actual identity. On November 7, 1980, Steve McQueen died at the age of 50 at the Juárez clinic following the surgical operation to remove or reduce several metastatic tumors in his neck and abdomen.[68] He had in fact died of cardiac arrest at 3:45 am in his hospital bed more than 12 hours after the surgery to remove the tumors. An article in the El Paso Times noted that before his death he awoke in his hospital bed and asked the nurse for some ice water and then died.
A few months before his death, McQueen had given a medical interview in which he blamed his condition on asbestos exposure.[69] While McQueen felt asbestos used in movie sound stage insulation and race-drivers' protective suits and helmets could have been involved, he believed his illness was a direct result of massive exposure while removing asbestos lagging from pipes aboard a troop ship while in the Marines

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum