Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pensacola has a growing software presence......Silicon valley look out

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

bizguy wrote:So this is a program associated through UWF?

UWF is an affiliate member.  IC is a 501(c)3 non-profit founded by private companies such as App River, Avalex, and Gulf Power.  

I still do not see the "service" relations of innovation coast. I almost feel as if I am reading a college students thesis.  

Not sure what you mean.  Their mission is to increase the number of tech and knowledge sector companies in the area.  Increase investments in those areas.  And recruit talent for member companies.
so its a recruitment service?

You have to have either a service or a product. That's what I meant.

I seen the mission statement. Mission statements are useless without concrete plans. how are they reaching out to change the perspective as you said? Are they advertising? etc etc etc net working?

I see they got some sponsors/ie members. Now Ive seen companies use that type of tool and would put anyone that gave them a dollar for whatever on there, or who used their service. sometimes companies like that, free advertisement sometimes not.

What is provided to organizations who are members? recruiting service?

Im just trying to figure out what the value of this IC is?

Oh, and I don't want you to take this the wrong way. But really if you know this group of people, they need to go fix those grammar issues. Reminds me of when I get reports back from our Russian pathologist, sometimes she writes like she speaks, broken language. I do it too but you cant have it on a site such as this, especially a tech site. Im just trying to help.

I really do wish you the best. or whoever is trying to do this there. I always hated that pcola doesn't have enough jobs for our younger gens.

To be honest though. I really do not see pcola becoming the next silicon vally. The types of people you need to attract require high maintenance life styles, they are go getters, busy, need stimulus and high pay. I could be wrong, however I doubt it.

pcola should have become a port city, like jville or mobile. that actually would have worked.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Chrissy wrote:
bizguy wrote:So this is a program associated through UWF?

UWF is an affiliate member.  IC is a 501(c)3 non-profit founded by private companies such as App River, Avalex, and Gulf Power.  

I still do not see the "service" relations of innovation coast. I almost feel as if I am reading a college students thesis.  

Not sure what you mean.  Their mission is to increase the number of tech and knowledge sector companies in the area.  Increase investments in those areas.  And recruit talent for member companies.
so its a recruitment service?

You have to have either a service or a product. That's what I meant.

I seen the mission statement. Mission statements are useless without concrete plans. how are they reaching out to change the perspective as you said? Are they advertising? etc etc etc net working?

I see they got some sponsors/ie members. Now Ive seen companies use that type of tool and would put anyone that gave them a dollar for whatever on there, or who used their service. sometimes companies like that, free advertisement sometimes not.

What is provided to organizations who are members? recruiting service?

Im just trying to figure out what the value of this IC is?

Oh, and I don't want you to take this the wrong way. But really if you know this group of people, they need to go fix those grammar issues. Reminds me of when I get reports back from our Russian pathologist, sometimes she writes like she speaks, broken language. I do it too but you cant have it on a site such as this, especially a tech site. Im just trying to help.

I really do wish you the best. or whoever is trying to do this there. I always hated that pcola doesn't have enough jobs for our younger gens.

To be honest though. I really do not see pcola becoming the next silicon vally. The types of people you need to attract require high maintenance life styles, they are go getters, busy, need stimulus and high pay. I could be wrong, however I doubt it.

pcola should have become a port city, like jville or mobile. that actually would have worked.
Yes.

bizguy

To be honest though. I really do not see pcola becoming the next silicon vally. The types of people you need to attract require high maintenance life styles, they are go getters, busy, need stimulus and high pay. I could be wrong, however I doubt it

You are assuming that all high tech folks fit the same mold. I disagree. I know the people that own these companies and many of the people that work for them. The owners could have built these companies anywhere they chose. One of the main reasons they built here is because of our lifestyle. Several of them are in Santa Rosa county (Gulf Breeze) because we have a great standard of living, low crime rate, and one of the best public school systems in the state (despite the fact we are near the bottom in state funding). Many of the high tech employees are young folks with families and this area offers a great place to raise your family.

Nekochan

Nekochan

bizguy wrote:To be honest though. I really do not see pcola becoming the next silicon vally. The types of people you need to attract require high maintenance life styles, they are go getters, busy, need stimulus and high pay. I could be wrong, however I doubt it

You are assuming that all high tech folks fit the same mold.  I disagree.  I know the people that own these companies and many of the people that work for them.  The owners could have built these companies anywhere they chose.  One of the main reasons they built here is because of our lifestyle.  Several of them are in Santa Rosa county (Gulf Breeze) because we have a great standard of living, low crime rate, and one of the best public school systems in the state (despite the fact we are near the bottom in state funding).  Many of the high tech employees are young folks with families and this area offers a great place to raise your family.  
I agree on all counts.  Look at the Escambia County school system compared to Santa Rosa County.   I think Gulf Breeze fits the package that Chrissy described, above, a lot better than Pensacola does.

bizguy wrote:To be honest though. I really do not see pcola becoming the next silicon vally. The types of people you need to attract require high maintenance life styles, they are go getters, busy, need stimulus and high pay. I could be wrong, however I doubt it

You are assuming that all high tech folks fit the same mold.  I disagree.  I know the people that own these companies and many of the people that work for them.  The owners could have built these companies anywhere they chose.  One of the main reasons they built here is because of our lifestyle.  Several of them are in Santa Rosa county (Gulf Breeze) because we have a great standard of living, low crime rate, and one of the best public school systems in the state (despite the fact we are near the bottom in state funding).  Many of the high tech employees are young folks with families and this area offers a great place to raise your family.  
Have you ever lived out of Pensacola?

bizguy

Chrissy wrote:

Yes.  I've lived in many different states and several different countries. I actually grew up in Texas.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Chrissy wrote:

I understand what you're talking about.   We lived in Huntsville for 3 years--it has the highest per capita rate of people with PHDs and I believe also, engineers, in the US.   
Pensacola is not Gulf Breeze, though!

bizguy

Nekochan wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

I understand what you're talking about.   We lived in Huntsville for 3 years--it has the highest per capita rate of people with PHDs and I believe also, engineers, in the US.   
I worked in Huntsville for about 10 years. Lots of smart folks there. I think most of the rocket scientists are there.

Nekochan wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

LOL it might as well be. Whats to do in gulf breeze?

are you now agreeing gulf breeze is the next silicon valley?

dumpcare

Nothing wrong with the website bizguy and I know several that are involved and quite a few of the young people that are giving it their all to bring tech jobs to the area. You have some of the best in the area helping with this project NS is one, very smart att and has written a few books. UWF has a good computer engineering program, that is my granddaughter's major there and hopes to be able to live around here after she graduates instead of moving somewhere else. Good luck with it.

Nekochan

Nekochan

bizguy wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

I worked in Huntsville for about 10 years.  Lots of smart folks there.  I think most of the rocket scientists are there.
Huntsville rocks.  No doubt about it.   It's beautiful there in the spring, summer and fall.  Winters...I did not like up there.  Too dreary looking and cold for me.  But that's just the Floridian in me and the winters are mild in north AL compared to most parts of the country.  Also, Huntsville has seasons, the leaves change colors and all of that..which is kind of nice. Until it gets cold.  lol.   Our kids are grown and weren't in the school system there, but we lived in the Grissom district, which is one of the top high schools in Alabama.  Southeast Huntsville is an older area of town but I much prefer it to Madison, AL, where many of the new residents are choosing to live.   It's funny, because people up there would complain about the housing market and the economy--and then I always asked them--you haven't lived in Florida for the last 4 or 5 years, have you?   For a lot of reasons, we moved back to Northeast FL.  We put our Huntsville house on the market and sold it to the first person who looked at it on the first day it was listed.   My cousins, in Austin, Texas, had the same experience when they sold their house a year or so ago. It sold right away, for what they were asking.  

But my favorite thing about living in Huntsville was being 2 hours from Nashville.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Chrissy wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

The next silicon valley?  No, probably not.  But if a company was looking to locate in Northwest FL and they were looking at the living conditions, schools, and crime in Gulf Breeze and Pensacola....which do you think would win? 
Your question....what's to do in Gulf Breeze...is a good question.  "Things to do" come along with an educated population moving into an area.  BUT--the area needs to have potential for that to happen--decent schools, low crime, and a local government that is welcoming.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Oh, our house in Huntsville sold to a young, mid-20s, single software engineer.   I have no idea why he wanted a large house on half an acre...but he fell in love with the house and made an offer the day he looked at it.  He made enough money at his job to qualify for a mortgage to buy the house with little down payment.

bizguy

As in any city, it depends on what you are looking for.  Lots of outdoor activities...easy access to the beach....just across the bridge you have night life, symphony, museums, art galleries, etc.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Gulf Breeze will be the next Silicon Valley. The actual city limits of Gulf Breeze are limited by water to the north, south and west and by federal property to the east. Much of the growth for this area will be in unincorporated south Santa Rosa county.

Nekochan

Nekochan

bizguy wrote:LOL it might as well be. Whats to do in gulf breeze?

As in any city, it depends on what you are looking for.  Lots of outdoor activities...easy access to the beach....just across the bridge you have night life, symphony, museums, art galleries, etc.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Gulf Breeze will be the next Silicon Valley.  The actual city limits of Gulf Breeze are limited by water to the north, south and west and by federal property to the east.  Much of the growth for this area will be in unincorporated south Santa Rosa county.
Another thing about Huntsville....lots of parks and access to outdoor activities.

Nekochan wrote:
Chrissy wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

The next silicon valley?  No, probably not.  But if a company was looking to locate in Northwest FL and they were looking at the living conditions, schools, and crime in Gulf Breeze and Pensacola....which do you think would win? 
Your question....what's to do in Gulf Breeze...is a good question.  "Things to do" come along with an educated population moving into an area.  BUT--the area needs to have potential for that to happen--decent schools, low crime, and a local government that is welcoming.
I personally do not think you can have a thriving city life that goes along with all the good things you mentioned. It seems that once a place grows to be a thriving city everything else goes down hill.

GB is so small the thought of it even becoming a smaller version of a Miami, jville or Chicago is not realistic. shoot, even it becoming a city like naples or ft myers is unrealistic.

I mean come on. the night life there is po dunk. now don't get me wrong, I like po dunk myself lol... but Ive met many of these techy people of whom over the years have sold us software systems and very expensive medical equipment. These are not po dunk people. They are very active people. on the move, go getters like I said before. very few are going to opt for that lifestyle. so unless your growing them there its going to be hard. now with that said. I think its great they are trying to grow it there. I like the area, we all know this. the area needs jobs, so peoples educated children don't have to move away, like they do now.

BUT, the next silicon valley. LOL sorry it is not and will not be in our lifetime. most people in the country do not even know that place exist.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Gulf Breeze will be the next Silicon Valley.  The actual city limits of Gulf Breeze are limited by water to the north, south and west and by federal property to the east.  Much of the growth for this area will be in unincorporated south Santa Rosa county.
UM.. bizguy, seaoat said it would be the next silicon valley. LOL

THAT is what I am denying.

and btw, even the museums, art galleries and symphony there is po dunk compared to what I have seen in the larger cities.

Now if you don't like what I am saying about the area, that is what you have to go up against. Because if this po dunk gal thinks that, what do you think the go getters think?

This has been youre first challenge on changing the perception of the area. good luck. Smile 

Nekochan

Nekochan

Chrissy wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Chrissy wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

I personally do not think you can have a thriving city life that goes along with all the good things you mentioned. It seems that once a place grows to be a thriving city everything else goes down hill.

GB is so small the thought of it even becoming a smaller version of a Miami, jville or Chicago is not realistic. shoot, even it becoming a city like naples or ft myers is unrealistic.

I mean come on. the night life there is po dunk. now don't get me wrong, I like po dunk myself lol... but Ive met many of these techy people of whom over the years have sold us software systems and very expensive medical equipment. These are not po dunk people. They are very active people. on the move, go getters like I said before. very few are going to opt for that lifestyle. so unless your growing them there its going to be hard. now with that said. I think its great they are trying to grow it there. I like the area, we all know this. the area needs jobs, so peoples educated children don't have to move away, like they do now.

BUT, the next silicon valley. LOL sorry it is not and will not be in our lifetime. most people in the country do not even know that place exist.
Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, Walton Counties....those counties have potential.
Silicon Valley...probably not.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Chrissy wrote:

and btw, even the museums, art galleries and symphony there is po dunk compared to what I have seen in the larger cities.

Now if you don't like what I am saying about the area, that is what you have to go up against. Because if this po dunk gal thinks that, what do you think the go getters think?

This has been youre first challenge on changing the perception of the area. good luck. Smile 
As many, many, many problems that Jacksonville has....I do like living near a larger city.  Jacksonville is blue collar and red-necky.   But it also offers a lot of things that smaller cities just don't have.   A couple of weeks ago, we were driving in Jacksonville....there are always interesting characters out walking along the roads in Jax.  And interesting cars with interesting looking people in them.  And hubby said something kind of funny...he said: there are rednecks here and there are rednecks in Huntsville...but they are different.   And it got me to thinking...I think he's right, although I can't really put my finger on it.

When you leave Pensacola and go to other citys, you can understand why people choose not to live here and why people are leaving.  When Jolliet Illinois looks good you know Pensacola is a shit hole. As a native, I take no pride in saying that.  My son now lives in Manhattan Il, a small township that is light years away from Pensacola.  Good Schools, Very low crime, a small but fantastic library system and many other features that make it a good place to live.
I travel and go to Austin 3 or 4 times a year and spend maybe a month to 6 weeks a year there.  Austin is a different story.  Their hard work and plans for the future has pas paid off and now it is literally a boom town.   Not really a fair comparison to Pensacola because Austin has done things that Pensacola will never even come close to even thinking about.
Life is short.  Young people know this are not about to wait for Escambia county to be made in to a viable place to live and work.. Why should they?.  The future is here and now. Unfortunately Pensacola will stay mired the past, thinking we can party their way into the future with Beach concerts, baseball stadiums and local bars.  Of course we can and we will but there is a hell of price to pay as we neglect education,  mass transportation and affordable housing. All the things we need to make up a good place to live.  But many of you already know that.  You dont live here LOL

bizguy

This has been youre first challenge on changing the perception of the area. good luck.

We aren't a big city and most of us want to keep it that way. However, I've lived in 'podunkville' and this isn't it. We have many more people moving to the area than leaving so we must have some redeeming qualities as a community. As I said earlier, we have businesses starting here, growing here and relocating here. Will we ever be another silicon valley? Probably not to that level but I'm confident that in the next 10 years we will have a thriving technology/knowledge based industry and be known in that community as a desirable place to live and work.

2seaoat

We aren't a big city and most of us want to keep it that way. However, I've lived in 'podunkville' and this isn't it. We have many more people moving to the area than leaving so we must have some redeeming qualities as a community. As I said earlier, we have businesses starting here, growing here and relocating here. Will we ever be another silicon valley? Probably not to that level but I'm confident that in the next 10 years we will have a thriving technology/knowledge based industry and be known in that community as a desirable place to live and work.

Exactly. Good things are coming because of the hard work of a region to be attractive to development. Of course Pensacola will not be Silicon Valley because there is only one, but pockets of technological innovation can gain momentum and can be self sustaining. That tipping point is getting near. I saw a Navy Federal commercial on Monday Night Football last night. Definitely good things are happening, and with job creation in the technology field and the area is getting excellent diversification of the economy, and all the eggs are no longer in the tourism basket.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Mr Ichi wrote:When you leave Pensacola and go to other citys, you can understand why people choose not to live here and why people are leaving.  When Jolliet Illinois looks good you know Pensacola is a shit hole. As a native, I take no pride in saying that.  My son now lives in Manhattan Il, a small township that is light years away from Pensacola.  Good Schools, Very low crime, a small but fantastic library system and many other features that make it a good place to live.
I travel and go to Austin 3 or 4 times a year and spend maybe a month to 6 weeks a year there.  Austin is a different story.  Their hard work and plans for the future has pas paid off and now it is literally a boom town.   Not really a fair comparison to Pensacola because Austin has done things that Pensacola will never even come close to even thinking about.
Life is short.  Young people know this are not about to wait for Escambia county to be made in to a viable place to live and work.. Why should they?.  The future is here and now. Unfortunately Pensacola will stay mired the past, thinking we can party their way into the future with Beach concerts, baseball stadiums and local bars.  Of course we can and we will but there is a hell of price to pay as we neglect education,  mass transportation and affordable housing. All the things we need to make up a good place to live.  But many of you already know that.  You dont live here LOL
If we moved back to Northwest FL it would be as retirees and it would not be to Pensacola.  Even for retirees, not that concerned about jobs or schools, Pensacola does not look that good.  You drive around town and much of Pensacola is run down looking.  And then you hear about the shootings and killings and home break-ins.  You can say the same about Jacksonville...lots of crime and problems and run down, bad areas.  But there are also good jobs in Jacksonville.   Pensacola has many big city type problems with few big city amenities.

2seaoat

Pensacola has many big city type problems with few big city amenities.

Urban gentrification usually is dependent on jobs. The migration from rust belt blue collar to almost total dependence on tourism has not allowed the job base which would allow Pensacola to boom, but the economic diversification of growing white collar jobs in banking and technology will contribute to a boom in Pensacola in the future. For a young person the downtown lifestyle and historic nature of the housing market meets all the criteria for a boom which has been seen in other urban areas. The key is diversification of jobs, and creation of higher paying jobs than those normally associated with tourism. That evolution is happening. You will know the tipping point when you see more residential development downtown, and continued success in post secondary schools in the area producing graduates who can meet the requirements of those growing tech jobs. That seems to be the case with growing UWF success in placing graduates in those fields.

2seaoat wrote:Pensacola has many big city type problems with few big city amenities.

Urban gentrification usually is dependent on jobs.  The migration from rust belt blue collar to almost total dependence on tourism has not allowed the job base which would allow Pensacola to boom, but the economic diversification of growing white collar jobs in banking and technology will contribute to a boom in Pensacola in the future.  For a young person the downtown lifestyle and historic nature of the housing market meets all the criteria for a boom which has been seen in other urban areas.  The key is diversification of jobs, and creation of higher paying jobs than those normally associated with tourism.   That evolution is happening.   You will know the tipping point when you see more residential development downtown, and continued success in post secondary schools in the area producing graduates who can meet the requirements of those growing tech jobs.  That seems to be the case with growing UWF success in placing graduates in those fields.
So why did we spend millions of dollars and countless man hours of building a Ball Park and now are considering spending 30 million on pumping sand on a sandbar?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum