Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pensacola has a growing software presence......Silicon valley look out

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

2seaoat

http://www.pnj.com/comments/article/20131103/NEWS01/311030027/A-best-kept-Pensacola-tech-secret-no-more

2seaoat

A positive story about local kids graduating from the local schools and competing in the world market with a well designed product. Local jobs and by golly, I think the downtown crowd has helped this good thing to happen. Pensacola has bright and intelligent people who are winning. The sidelines are full of naysayers who will tell you this great story means nothing.....nope.....it is very good news, and more people will have jobs.

Maybe if they get real good they can pay more than my daughter, a Pensacola Native, makes in Austin Texas, but I doubt it LOL

2seaoat

I am not joking on this one.....they have a great product with a huge market for the things they are designing. I think this is going to be big. The Navy Credit Union, the software company which moved over to Gulf Breeze, and this growing company, may not be rust belt industry, but it is independent of the tourism business. Pensacola is going in the right direction and the environment downtown is contributing to what will attract these type of companies. Good things are coming.

Big money in the LEO software business. My son in law got in on the ground floor of "Smart Cop" a very widely used program. He had stock and cashed out when he was 36. He banked it and basically doesn't have to work any more. He now helps my Daughter build software in Austin. If local folks are smart they will move to where the real development action is.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Mr Ichi wrote:Big money in the LEO software business.  My son in law got in on the ground floor of "Smart Cop" a very widely used program.  He had stock and cashed out when he was 36.  He banked it and basically doesn't have to work any more.  He now helps my Daughter build software in Austin.  If local folks are smart they will move to where the real development action is.
Good to hear your son not only made bank but is helping your daughter. That's how a family should work.

He is a good guy. He stays at home and sells vintage software on E-bay. He takes very very good care of my daughter. When she hit a tough problem at work, she calls him and most of the time he can walk her to the solution.They live within their means and have a good lifestyle. They drive a Toyota Echo. LOL

For 14 years it has been one of Pensacola’s best-kept secrets: a successful high-tech company that’s homegrown and employs some of the city’s best and brightest

I think it is great thing that we have more good jobs in Pensacola. But, I think Studer and the downtown boys might have a hard time claiming credit for these jobs. They have been here for 14 years.  Long before Stoodervile, the ballpark  and all the nice improvements that we now enjoy. I do wish them well.  I am sure the jobs are not has good as the fantastic Part time jobs made available at the "Benjo by the Bay" Ball Park. But it is a start.

bizguy

There are more high tech companies in this area than many people realize. App River, Avalex, and EKS are a few of the others. One of the problems they have is attracting talent because we are not known as a high tech community.

BIG LAUGH of the morning award.....

seaoat thinking Pensacola is the next silicon vally. LMAO!

bizguy

Chrissy wrote:BIG LAUGH of the morning award.....

seaoat thinking Pensacola is the next silicon vally. LMAO!

While this area is not silicon valley, you might be surprised at the quantity of high tech jobs in the 3 county area.

If there was a coordinated effort Pensacola could become a mecca for high tech software development. Companies are gravitating to places like Austin Texas because of such efforts. Success breeds success. In my Daughters case there is no shortage of software development seminars, classes and conferences on any given weekend. This is a very important factor in the development in the growth of a business. Pensacola is sorely lacking in such activities. One day we will have to decide if that is the path the community is to take. As it stands, Baseball, Rock concerts and Bars are the focal point of our growth.

bizguy

Mr Ichi wrote:If there was a coordinated effort Pensacola could become a mecca for high tech software development. Companies are gravitating to places like Austin Texas because of such efforts.    Success breeds success.  In my Daughters case there is no shortage of software development seminars, classes and conferences on any given weekend.  This is a very important factor in the development in the growth of a business.  Pensacola is sorely lacking in such activities.   One day we will have to decide if that is the path the community is to take.  As it stands, Baseball, Rock concerts and Bars are the focal point of our growth.  
While we are no where near the level of Austin, we are making progress towards attracting and developing high tech companies. Organizations like Innovation Coast and some of the economic development organizations are working to create opportunities in that sector locally. We finally have folks in this area that believe we have more to offer than sunshine and sand. It won't change over night but change is coming.

I hope so. But I seriously doubt it will happen with out a paradigm shift in thoughts and actions

Nekochan

Nekochan

Santa Rosa County, Okaloosa County....I can see those counties being attractive to high tech companies.  Escambia County...not so much.

bizguy

Mr Ichi wrote:I hope so.  But I seriously doubt it will happen with out a paradigm shift in thoughts and actions
Isn't that true for most worth while endeavors?

bizguy wrote:
Mr Ichi wrote:I hope so.  But I seriously doubt it will happen with out a paradigm shift in thoughts and actions
In the case of Pensacola, what are the incentives for things to change?  The major players in the city are happy just as things are. Studer has his Ball Park, Russenberger has the Palafox pier, Merrill has the Fish house and Portofino has a major share of the beach, and Arragon courts is alive and well.  People will pay lip service to new Jobs and high tech business but the Tech park has been a disaster.  People are happy with the way things are. We are losing our pool of talent to other cities who play attention and really want their area to succeed.  IMHO the amenities that keep and bring quality young dynamic people to this area are lacking.  In order for Pensacola to succeed it must be viewed as a complete package, not just the inlightened downtown area.  Pensacola is a much bigger place than that.  Austin doesn't have a Baseball team, they have a Formula one race track.  There in lies the difference.

2seaoat

Austin doesn't have a Baseball team, they have a Formula one race track. There in lies the difference.

I do not think that what makes Austin special has much to do with the formula one racing, and I do not think what makes Pensacola special has much to do with a baseball stadium. It is the total package, and one critical component is post secondary education pumping local talent into the needs of employers.....it appears this is beginning to happen here.

bizguy

Mr Ichi wrote:
bizguy wrote:
In the case of Pensacola, what are the incentives for things to change?  The major players in the city are happy just as things are. Studer has his Ball Park, Russenberger has the Palafox pier, Merrill has the Fish house and Portofino has a major share of the beach, and Arragon courts is alive and well.  People will pay lip service to new Jobs and high tech business but the Tech park has been a disaster.  People are happy with the way things are. We are losing our pool of talent to other cities who play attention and really want their area to succeed.  IMHO the amenities that keep and bring quality young dynamic people to this area are lacking.  In order for Pensacola to succeed it must be viewed as a complete package, not just the inlightened downtown area.  Pensacola is a much bigger place than that.  Austin doesn't have a Baseball team, they have a Formula one race track.  There in lies the difference.
As far as the City of Pensacola, I'm not sure. I'm involved in economic development in Santa Rosa county and we are seeing some success in the high tech sector...especially in the Gulf Breeze area. Santa Rosa county is much easier to do business in than Escambia county. As I said earlier, change will not happen over night. The companies that are here now are here because this is where they choose to be. They could have opened or moved anywhere they want. One of the problems they have is attracting experienced and qualified applicants for the positions they have open. Because we are not known for our high tech industry potential employees are reluctant to move here because they worry about things not working out at company A and not having other options locally. That is one of the perceptions that Innovation Coast is trying to change.

2seaoat

An improving quality of life factor and solid local graduates will help to make the transformation. At some point this thing will have its own legs, but all these developments are positive and bode well for the region.

Best of everything to you Mr Bizguy. You are a breath of fresh air to those of us mired in this cesspool of incompetence. Maybe you will succeed and my people can return....I can only hope

bizguy wrote:
Mr Ichi wrote:
bizguy wrote:
As far as the City of Pensacola, I'm not sure.  I'm involved in economic development in Santa Rosa county and we are seeing some success in the high tech sector...especially in the Gulf Breeze area. Santa Rosa county is much easier to do business in than Escambia county. As I said earlier, change will not happen over night.  The companies that are here now are here because this is where they choose to be.  They could have opened or moved anywhere they want.  One of the problems they have is attracting experienced and qualified applicants for the positions they have open.  Because we are not known for our high tech industry potential employees are reluctant to move here because they worry about things not working out at company A and not having other options locally.  That is one of the perceptions that Innovation Coast is trying to change.  
May I ask what are some of the things inovation coast is doing to change that perception of pcola?

bizguy

Chrissy wrote:
bizguy wrote:
Mr Ichi wrote:
bizguy wrote:
As far as the City of Pensacola, I'm not sure.  I'm involved in economic development in Santa Rosa county and we are seeing some success in the high tech sector...especially in the Gulf Breeze area. Santa Rosa county is much easier to do business in than Escambia county. As I said earlier, change will not happen over night.  The companies that are here now are here because this is where they choose to be.  They could have opened or moved anywhere they want.  One of the problems they have is attracting experienced and qualified applicants for the positions they have open.  Because we are not known for our high tech industry potential employees are reluctant to move here because they worry about things not working out at company A and not having other options locally.  That is one of the perceptions that Innovation Coast is trying to change.  
May I ask what are some of the things inovation coast is doing to change that perception of pcola?

From the Innovation Coast website:

Objectives

Develop the area’s technology community into a cohesive network that supports member’s goals and shares ideas, knowledge, and resources to help business expand and be successful.

Attract potential technology and knowledge sector companies, entrepreneurs, and investment to the area.

Actively recruit talent for member companies and attract the critically needed workforce for the technology and knowledge sector.
Inventory member skill requirements; match and facilitate the development of local talent.

Encourage and provide support programs for technology sector start-ups and entrepreneurs with mentoring, venture capital, guidance, and partnering opportunities.

I would encourage you to check them out at innovationcoast.com.

bizguy wrote:
Chrissy wrote:
bizguy wrote:
Mr Ichi wrote:
bizguy wrote:

From the Innovation Coast website:

Objectives

Develop the area’s technology community into a cohesive network that supports member’s goals and shares ideas, knowledge, and resources to help business expand and be successful.

Attract potential technology and knowledge sector companies, entrepreneurs, and investment to the area.

Actively recruit talent for member companies and attract the critically needed workforce for the technology and knowledge sector.
Inventory member skill requirements; match and facilitate the development of local talent.

Encourage and provide support programs for technology sector start-ups and entrepreneurs with mentoring, venture capital, guidance, and partnering opportunities.

I would encourage you to check them out at innovationcoast.com.
So this is a program associated through UWF?

Or at least the IHMC is. Impressive that they were awarded a try with the DARPA robot. Somebody at UWF has some connections.

I still do not see the "service" relations of innovation coast. I almost feel as if I am reading a college students thesis. Yes I have read the site. Many many improper vocabulary/grammar issues. I know that coming from me may seem weird, but when I need to, I do understand it.

Its very interesting though.

bizguy

So this is a program associated through UWF?

UWF is an affiliate member.  IC is a 501(c)3 non-profit founded by private companies such as App River, Avalex, and Gulf Power.  

I still do not see the "service" relations of innovation coast. I almost feel as if I am reading a college students thesis.  

Not sure what you mean.  Their mission is to increase the number of tech and knowledge sector companies in the area.  Increase investments in those areas.  And recruit talent for member companies.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum