Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Republicans try to take paid sick days from employees for big business

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Gov. Scott already signed ban for Fl.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/10/24/2828431/pennsylvania-paid-sick-days-preemption/

As the push for paid sick days legislation moves forward in states such as Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Vermont and cities such as Newark, NJ and Tacoma, WA, so too does the counter movement to block these bills in the first place. A similar bill to Pennsylvania’s was introduced in North Carolina in August, and in June Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) signed a statewide ban that was backed by big business. These laws have been introduced in at least 14 different state legislatures, not including Pennsylvania, and enacted in eight: Arizona, Florida, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Wisconsin. Meanwhile, seven paid sick days laws are currently in place across the country.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Why should the government dictate that a private company must provide its employees with paid sick days?

Why should a govt. dictate people receive equal pay for equal work or minorities not be discriminated against or food be sanitary or women have the right to vote or safety be in the workplace or any of the thousands of laws we live by?

Simple.

If left up to the people greed,corruption and abuse will flourish.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Dreamsglore wrote:Why should a govt. dictate people receive equal pay for equal work or minorities not be discriminated against or food be sanitary or women have the right to vote or safety be in the workplace or any of the thousands of laws we live by?

Simple.

Because those are mostly constitutional rights. 

The city of Pensacola should not dictate to a private company what kind of sick days must be offered to its employees.   This is about what local governments can require a company to do.  The state can still regulate the workplace to some extent.

Dreamsglore wrote:Why should a govt. dictate people receive equal pay for equal work or minorities not be discriminated against or food be sanitary or women have the right to vote or safety be in the workplace or any of the thousands of laws we live by?

Simple.

so the above statement shows you really don't trust people and democracy, but you trust government to help those poor people. gotcha

No, I don't trust individual people to do the right thing. Experience has shown people are self oriented and have no regard for their fellow man as a group.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Companies compete with each other for the best employees.   It's in a company's best interest to have satisfied employees.  I don't think the state of Florida requires paid sick days, but most companies in Florida offer them to full time employees as part of a benefits package.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Disney was one of the companies in Florida that supported this law, and they offer a pretty decent looking benefits package without being required to by law. 

http://disneycareers.com/en/working-here/total-rewards/

Last edited by Nekochan on 10/24/2013, 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nekochan wrote:

Simple.

The city of Pensacola should not dictate to a private company what kind of sick days must be offered to its employees.   This is about what local governments can require a company to do.  The state can still regulate the workplace to some extent.
I think they should be able to if they want to be able to do business in their community. Seven days paid sick leave which is nothing if you have a surgery is all that's required under federal law. It opens up businesses to abuse people who have serious sickness.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:

Simple.

I think they should be able to if they want to be able to do business in their community. Seven days paid sick leave which is nothing if you have a surgery is all that's required under federal law. It opens up businesses to abuse people who have serious sickness.
That's what short term and long term disability insurance is for.

Nekochan wrote:Disney was one of the companies in Florida that supported this law, and they offer a pretty decent looking benefits package without being required to by law. 

http://disneycareers.com/en/working-here/total-rewards/
Right. But many businesses won't. Walmart doesn't allow you the first day of sickness and after a couple you have to have a Dr.'s note. Sure peopel abuse it but if you ave benefits that accrue paid days off you should be able to use it anyway you want whether sickness or time off. This will disallow it.

Nekochan wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:

Simple.

That costs quite a bit and doesn't kick in until a certain amount of days have gone by.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Some companies offer vacation/sick days to use however.  It should be a company's decision, not a city or county's decision.  If Walmart is going to pay for sick days, it's not unreasonable that they require a doctor's note after a couple of days of absence.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Nekochan wrote:

Simple.

That costs quite a bit and doesn't kick in until a certain amount of days have gone by.
Why should a company be required to offer a lot of paid sick days for a employee that just started working there?

Oh, I get what you're saying, I think.  The insurance doesn't kick in automatically.  Short term disability insurance should kick in pretty much right away.

Dreamsglore wrote:No, I don't trust individual people to do the right thing. Experience has shown people are self oriented and have no regard for their fellow man as a group.
you just defined the democrat party.

Markle

Markle

Simple.

Only in your warped world. The government has no business dictating the free days an employer must give an employee. See how well it has worked in Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain and numerous other countries.

Markle

Markle

Dreamsglore wrote:No, I don't trust individual people to do the right thing. Experience has shown people are self oriented and have no regard for their fellow man as a group.
I pity you for the sad life you live. I trust people to do the right thing and I am seldom, if ever wrong.

Your experience is probably due to the negative vibrations you give off in distrusting any and all people who mistakenly come in contact with you.

Markle wrote:
I pity you for the sad life you live.  I trust people to do the right thing and I am seldom, if ever wrong.

Your experience is probably due to the negative vibrations you give off in distrusting any and all people who mistakenly come in contact with you.
Really? LOL! Why don't you ask the people who invested w/ Bernie Madoff or that big corporation which name escapes me now who effed all their investors? You really are squirrley and certain don't live in this universe.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum