Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A Pensacola treasure.

+2
Sal
Nekochan
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A Pensacola treasure. Empty A Pensacola treasure. 10/23/2013, 10:13 pm

I went over and visited with Bob this AM. A truly amazing person. His knowledge of coin operated machines is unreal. He really needs to write a book and pass his knowledge and stories on to the future generations. His ruse of, I am just a dumb old rube is bogus. Good guy. Thanks for the visit Mr Bob.

2A Pensacola treasure. Empty Re: A Pensacola treasure. 10/23/2013, 10:17 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

Yes, Bob should write a book.  You too!

3A Pensacola treasure. Empty Re: A Pensacola treasure. 10/23/2013, 10:39 pm

Sal

Sal

Bob is a very interesting character. 

I'd love to meet him in person. 

4A Pensacola treasure. Empty Re: A Pensacola treasure. 10/24/2013, 7:15 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Thanks for the kinds words,  Ichi (and Sal and Neko).
Most people have only one thing they really know about and it's usually
whatever they did for a living.  With me that one thing is coin-operated
machines.  With you it's boat building and the commercial fishing business.
I learned as much about that from talking to you yesterday as you learn from me about the coin-op machines.

The only way books have ever gotten published about the history of coin-operated machines is when they're self-published.  That's when the author puts up the money to get the books made because publishing houses don't have much interest in doing it.
One professional writer got the coin-op bug starting in the late 70's and became sort of the official historian for it. A listing of all his books is at the end of this page...

http://archive.ipdb.org/russjensen/dicktrib.htm

5A Pensacola treasure. Empty Re: A Pensacola treasure. 10/24/2013, 8:56 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I had the privilege now of meeting them both and they are one of a kind unique individuals .  Like going back in time for me. I used to sit on the front porch in West Virginia and listen to my Grandpa tell stories to visitors about the Railroads and the coal mines and that was such a great treat when I was a little kid. Being in the presence of these gentlemen takes me back there.

6A Pensacola treasure. Empty Re: A Pensacola treasure. 10/24/2013, 8:59 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

7A Pensacola treasure. Empty Re: A Pensacola treasure. 10/24/2013, 10:07 am

Thanks Mr Teo. BTW FEMA camp provides Mr Teo with a BMW convertible to drive.

8A Pensacola treasure. Empty Re: A Pensacola treasure. 10/24/2013, 10:21 am

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Bob wrote:Thanks for the kinds words,  Ichi (and Sal and Neko).
Most people have only one thing they really know about and it's usually
whatever they did for a living.  With me that one thing is coin-operated
machines.  With you it's boat building and the commercial fishing business.
I learned as much about that from talking to you yesterday as you learn from me about the coin-op machines.

The only way books have ever gotten published about the history of coin-operated machines is when they're self-published.  That's when the author puts up the money to get the books made because publishing houses don't have much interest in doing it.
One professional writer got the coin-op bug starting in the late 70's and became sort of the official historian for it.  A listing of all his books is at the end of this page...

http://archive.ipdb.org/russjensen/dicktrib.htm
Bob, is the amusement repair place on Pace Blvd still open? I cannot think of the name of it but if you were going south on Pace it would be on the left side somewhere in the area of Jordan.

9A Pensacola treasure. Empty Re: A Pensacola treasure. 10/24/2013, 10:47 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ghost Rider wrote:
Bob, is the amusement repair place on Pace Blvd still open? I cannot think of the name of it but if you were going south on Pace it would be on the left side somewhere in the area of Jordan.
That's Pensacola Automatic Amusement Co run by John Britt,  ghost.
It's not really a repair place though.  

Here's how the coin-operated amusement machine business works.  The places you see the machines at are referred to in this business as machine "locations" (bars,  laundromats, etc).  The locations hardly ever own the machines themselves.
The machines are owned by what is known in the business as "route operators".  Pensacola Automatic has been the biggest local route operator since the 70's.  Businesses like it purchase the machines and then place them in the locations on a rental basis.  The standard rental arrangement is for the operator to get 50% of the take from the machines and the location gets the other 50%.  And the operator is responsible for all the maintenance (which is considerable with these things).
So the operator (like Pensacola Automatic) primarily only does repairs on his own route machines.
The operators occasionally have a sideline business of doing repairs on machines they don't own.  Pensacola Automatic has always been one of the operators who does this.  
But the whole business has been going through a state of decline for about 20 years.  That happened because the coin-operated amusements started to become less in demand with the advent of consumer purchased video games.  The technology advance gave us all the same video games at home that before this were only available to us as coin-operated games.  
As a result of this,  Pensacola Automatic has been downsizing all it's operations including a big reduction in the number of employees including the techs.  So to answer your question,  I don't know anymore how willing (or able) that business is to to do repairs on equipment they don't own.
About the only way to find out I guess is to call them or stop in there.

10A Pensacola treasure. Empty Re: A Pensacola treasure. 10/24/2013, 12:29 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Bob wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:

Here's how the coin-operated amusement machine business works.  The places you see the machines at are referred to in this business as machine "locations" (bars,  laundromats, etc).  The locations hardly ever own the machines themselves.
The machines are owned by what is known in the business as "route operators".  Pensacola Automatic has been the biggest local route operator since the 70's.  Businesses like it purchase the machines and then place them in the locations on a rental basis.  The standard rental arrangement is for the operator to get 50% of the take from the machines and the location gets the other 50%.  And the operator is responsible for all the maintenance (which is considerable with these things).
So the operator (like Pensacola Automatic) primarily only does repairs on his own route machines.
The operators occasionally have a sideline business of doing repairs on machines they don't own.  Pensacola Automatic has always been one of the operators who does this.  
But the whole business has been going through a state of decline for about 20 years.  That happened because the coin-operated amusements started to become less in demand with the advent of consumer purchased video games.  The technology advance gave us all the same video games at home that before this were only available to us as coin-operated games.  
As a result of this,  Pensacola Automatic has been downsizing all it's operations including a big reduction in the number of employees including the techs.  So to answer your question,  I don't know anymore how willing (or able) that business is to to do repairs on equipment they don't own.
I bought a pinball machine from them in 1983 when I was stationed here. Bally's Mata Hari. I paid $250 for it, and it came straight from a bar. It even had beer stein rings on top of it. They disabled the coin mechanism so I could click a switch and put games on it. When I got it, I opened it up to look inside, and it smelled like a thousand cigarettes had been smoked inside it. I cleaned it up real good, vacuuming it out, and everything. Then, I made it more fun to play. I lowered the rear legs so the ball rolled back with less velocity. I took the glass off and made the entries to the side pockets narrower so balls wouldn't just blast past the flippers. Then, I turned it from 3 balls per game to 5 balls per game. It was much more fun to play after that.

After I got married in 1985, it went into storage and got carted around to various places we moved to, but was never set up again. In 1998 I sold to a guy for $75.00. I am not even sure it was still functioning then.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

11A Pensacola treasure. Empty Re: A Pensacola treasure. 10/24/2013, 1:10 pm

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Bob wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:

It is not a matter of getting one repaired, I can make the repair myself. I am looking for parts.

12A Pensacola treasure. Empty Re: A Pensacola treasure. 10/24/2013, 1:52 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ghost Rider wrote:
It is not a matter of getting one repaired, I can make the repair myself. I am looking for parts.
What type of amusement machine do you need parts for?

13A Pensacola treasure. Empty Re: A Pensacola treasure. 10/24/2013, 2:16 pm

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Bob wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
What type of amusement machine do you need parts for?
It is a Williams and I need a flipper coil for it.

14A Pensacola treasure. Empty Re: A Pensacola treasure. 10/24/2013, 3:53 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ghost Rider wrote:
It is a Williams and I need a flipper coil for it.
http://www.thepinballwizard.net/index.php?p=catalog&parent=48&pg=1

http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=williams%20flipper%20coil&VIEW_SIZE=60&VIEW_INDEX=0&sortOrder=SortKeywordRelevancy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum