Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Riceme sent these beautiful pictures from way up North ..in Alaska !

+2
QueenOfHearts
TEOTWAWKI
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Actually they were taken on her trip there

Riceme sent these beautiful pictures from way up North ..in Alaska ! Mel210

Riceme sent these beautiful pictures from way up North ..in Alaska ! Melind10

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

Very pretty. I would love to visit Alaska.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Dedicated to Riceme....

Nekochan

Nekochan

I'm glad Riceme is doing well!  Thanks for sharing her pictures.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I should sellout and go stake a claim there...they say freezing to death ain't so bad...

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

QueenOfHearts wrote:Very pretty.  I would love to visit Alaska.

Alaska is beautiful. When I was in the Army, I spent 4 years at Fort Wainwright in the proximity of Fairbanks. I enjoyed every minute I spent there and that includes what most people that live in the lower 48 would refer to as very harsh.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Alaska is beautiful but it's not a place I'd want to live.  It'll hit 60 degrees in August and Alaskans are out and about in shorts and t-shirts.  

Northern Alabama is too cold for me!

Sal

Sal

Nekochan wrote:Alaska is beautiful but it's not a place I'd want to live.  It'll hit 60 degrees in August and Alaskans are out and about in shorts and t-shirts.  

That's funny.

When we first moved down here and saw people breaking out the parkas, fur-lined boots, and earmuffs when it got down into the mid-60s, we were cracking up.

Now our blood has thinned out, and we're freezing with everybody else.

lol

Nekochan

Nekochan

A week or so ago after it started cooling off here (highs only in the 80s, lows in the 60s)  I saw my neighbor across the street one morning working in her yard with a sweatshirt and sweatpants on.  It was in the low 70s.  I could totally relate, lol. 

My husband grew up in Alaska and went to college in NY.  For years after we married, he'd wear short sleeves out while I was grabbing a jacket.  Not so much anymore.  He'll wear a jacket now when it's not terribly cold out.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Nekochan wrote:Alaska is beautiful but it's not a place I'd want to live.  It'll hit 60 degrees in August and Alaskans are out and about in shorts and t-shirts.  

But didn't you live in Japan for a few years? From what I understand, it gets pretty damn cold in Japan also, not as cold as Alaska, but cold nevertheless.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Ghost Rider wrote:

But didn't you live in Japan for a few years? From what I understand, it gets pretty damn cold in Japan also, not as cold as Alaska, but cold nevertheless.
We lived near Yokohama/Tokyo.  I'd say the climate in that area is about the same as in Northern Alabama.  Now Ichi-san was stationed on the northern island of Hokkaido which gets much colder than the Tokyo area.

Markle

Markle

I have some friends who live in Alaska part of the year now and spend the winter in Sopchoppy.

In the Southern parts of Alaska temperatures can reach close to 100 in the mid summer and the record low is -80 degrees in their winter.

He was a general contractor and they usually don't build, obviously, in the winter. He told me of having a contract from the Federal government which required construction throughout the winter to meet their completion date. At the government's expense, they had to build a huge air inflated "tent' on the site with massive heaters the source of the air to keep it inflated. That defrosted the ground to allow the footings to be dug, concrete mixed and construction completed.

I'd like to spend A winter in Alaska just to see what it was like. Well...just so an airport was in reach.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Markle wrote:

I have some friends who live in Alaska part of the year now and spend the winter in Sopchoppy.

In the Southern parts of Alaska temperatures can reach close to 100 in the mid summer and the record low is -80 degrees in their winter.

He was a general contractor and they usually don't build, obviously, in the winter.  He told me of having a contract from the Federal government which required construction throughout the winter to meet their completion date.  At the government's expense, they had to build a huge air inflated "tent' on the site with massive heaters the source of the air to keep it inflated.  That defrosted the ground to allow the footings to be dug, concrete mixed and construction completed.

I'd like to spend A winter in Alaska just to see what it was like.  Well...just so an airport was in reach.
In my 4 years at Fort Wainwright, the highest temperature that I ever encountered was about 78 degrees. I have never seen a 100 degree recorded anywhere with the exception of the record that was recorded at Fort Yukon in 1915. But all in all, it was the one of the best assignment that I every had. Had my wife liked it as much as I do, we would probably be living there today instead of here.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Markle wrote:

He was a general contractor and they usually don't build, obviously, in the winter.  He told me of having a contract from the Federal government which required construction throughout the winter to meet their completion date.  At the government's expense, they had to build a huge air inflated "tent' on the site with massive heaters the source of the air to keep it inflated.  That defrosted the ground to allow the footings to be dug, concrete mixed and construction completed.

I'd like to spend A winter in Alaska just to see what it was like.  Well...just so an airport was in reach.
My father in law (and my husband during summer breaks in college) worked on the North Slope.  The pay was good but my father in law lost a couple of good friends during his work years up there.

I've visited the Anchorage area, in August and December.  It was cold there (to me) in August, and colder in Dec.  Alaskans are interesting people though.  There is very much a self reliant attitude that prevails up there. But also a hippy like sector of the population.  Libertarian hippies.  lol.  It really is the last frontier.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

If I didn't want to enjoy being a grandpa and watching the accomplishments of my Grandkids I would have left for Alaska yesterday..... Libertarian Hippies...sounds close enough to my philosophy..LOL.

Nekochan

Nekochan

TEOTWAWKI wrote:If I didn't want to enjoy being a grandpa and watching the accomplishments of my Grandkids I would have left for Alaska yesterday.....  Libertarian Hippies...sounds close enough to my philosophy..LOL.
I think you'd like Alaska.  The viewpoint many Alaskans seem to have is--If I am not hurting anyone, then leave me the hell alone.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Nekochan wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:If I didn't want to enjoy being a grandpa and watching the accomplishments of my Grandkids I would have left for Alaska yesterday.....  Libertarian Hippies...sounds close enough to my philosophy..LOL.
I think you'd like Alaska.  The viewpoint many Alaskans seem to have is--If I am not hurting anyone, then leave me the hell alone.
Sounds like heaven

I was there once for a nuclear bomb test but didn't get to experience much of the land..we got thrown out of port because one of our crew bit off the local OODs ear...

Nekochan

Nekochan

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Nekochan wrote:
Sounds like heaven

I was there once for a nuclear bomb test but didn't get to experience much of the land..we got thrown out of port because one of our crew bit off the local OODs ear...
Shocked

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum