Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The cost of getting minor outpatient surgery at Sacred Heart Hospital (the hospital which a report Mr. Ichi cited yesterday is one of the "most affordable" hospitals in the state)

+5
2seaoat
boards of FL
TEOTWAWKI
Joanimaroni
Hospital Bob
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

knothead wrote:

On a side bar issue related to your bill: last year my wife was hospitalized for an obstructed bowel and stayed in the hospital for nine days ending with a surgical procedure.  Our portion owed to the hospital was $14,000.  On her discharge I went straight to the business office and asked to have a meet with the Director.  I simply stated that we could do this one of two ways, I'll pay this in installments of small increments over a very long period of time OR tell me what you'll settle for as an immediate final payment.  I was told they would settle on the spot for $6500 if payment was received within three business days.  We shook on it and the issue was settled.  
Thanks,  knothead.  Was that at a Pensacola hospital?

knothead

knothead

Bob wrote:
knothead wrote:

On a side bar issue related to your bill: last year my wife was hospitalized for an obstructed bowel and stayed in the hospital for nine days ending with a surgical procedure.  Our portion owed to the hospital was $14,000.  On her discharge I went straight to the business office and asked to have a meet with the Director.  I simply stated that we could do this one of two ways, I'll pay this in installments of small increments over a very long period of time OR tell me what you'll settle for as an immediate final payment.  I was told they would settle on the spot for $6500 if payment was received within three business days.  We shook on it and the issue was settled.  
Thanks,  knothead.  Was that at a Pensacola hospital?

Yes sir . . . Baptist in GB . . . you couldn't get a better place to get sick! LOL

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

More for seaoat,

http://www.digitaltrends.com/opinion/obamacare-healthcare-gov-website-cost/

A half a fucking billion dollars thrown down a rathole for that worthless, useless, piece of shit website.  And you believe the same goddamn douchebag politicians who are responsible for that are going to provide a solution to the astronomical costs of health care.  
What a sick tragic joke all this has become.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Bob wrote:More for seaoat,

http://www.digitaltrends.com/opinion/obamacare-healthcare-gov-website-cost/

A half a fucking billion dollars thrown down a rathole for that worthless, useless, piece of shit website.  And you believe the same goddamn douchebag politicians who are responsible for that are going to provide a solution to the astronomical costs of health care.  
What a sick tragic joke all this has become.
That's right !

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Chrissy,

If you really are going to examine all the statements,  I accidentally left one out.
I included the first bill you see here for "anasthesia".  But I failed to include the second "anasthesia" bill you see here.
So that means the anasthesia didn't cost $4350.  The cost for anasthesia is actually $4350 plus $2100 equals  $6450.  

$6450 for anasthesia alone!!!!!  You just can't make this shit up.  

The cost of getting minor outpatient surgery at Sacred Heart Hospital  (the hospital which a report Mr. Ichi cited yesterday is one of the "most affordable" hospitals in the state) - Page 2 Bills511

BUT,  I failed to include this other one which is also for "anasthesia"...
The cost of getting minor outpatient surgery at Sacred Heart Hospital  (the hospital which a report Mr. Ichi cited yesterday is one of the "most affordable" hospitals in the state) - Page 2 Bills119

Oh but it gets even worse. As you can see, the insurance company is only contributing $375 to that $4350 bill and goddamn nothing to the $2100 bill.

Here is the list of coverage my insurance policy provides me. Take note of the entry I've circled labeled "anasthesia".

What this obviously means is, even though this hospital and this surgeon knew I was using my Mega insurance because they were in my PPO network, THEY WENT OUTSIDE OF THE NETWORK FOR ANASTHESIA WHERE I HAD NO GODDAMN COVERAGE!!!

The cost of getting minor outpatient surgery at Sacred Heart Hospital  (the hospital which a report Mr. Ichi cited yesterday is one of the "most affordable" hospitals in the state) - Page 2 Insura10

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:
boards of FL wrote:Best healthcare system in the world!  
It is what it was regulated to be. The average joe didn't have a seat at that table.
Totally agree. That is why all this stuff costs exponentially more in countries with a greater degree of regulation. Cough bullshit Cough.

2seaoat

I have done start up websites. I had one crash on the first day and it took me three weeks to find out the software was limiting my concurrent users to 10 people, and this was after running ads in newspapers. A disaster, but three months later we had debugged the system. They will do the same.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:I have done start up websites.  I had one crash on the first day and it took me three weeks to find out the software was limiting my concurrent users to 10 people, and this was after running ads in newspapers.  A disaster, but three months later we had debugged the system.  They will do the same.  
So now you're defending this shit by telling us the website will start working three months after it was supposed to be working? And this is not a joke post?
I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry, seaoat.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Gosh Seaoat, we're not talking about a small business here....what has this cost so far --$700 million or something?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

At one point I thought it might be a good idea to email this thread to the local newspaper and the local tv station.

But then it hit me what I was overlooking. Sacred Heart Hospital is the biggest advertiser for both the local newspaper and the local tv station.

Duh. lol

Nekochan

Nekochan

LOL, Bob.   

About the problems...my son was over here the other day and he said that the government should have hired someone who knows how to handle lots of traffic--like Google--to set up the system.  Of course, that job probably went to the lowest bidder...so it ends up costing taxpayers more than it would have it they had just hired someone who could get the job done right in the first place.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:LOL, Bob.   

About the problems...my son was over here the other day and he said that the government should have hired someone who knows how to handle lots of traffic--like Google--to set up the system.  Of course, that job probably went to the lowest bidder...so it ends up costing taxpayers more than it would have it they had just hired someone who could get the job done right in the first place.
There was no bidding,  neko.  This was a no-bid contract.  
Exactly like Dick Cheney's company,  Halliburton,  got all that business in Iraq with a no-bid contract.

Aren't you starting to get the message now? Republicans, Democrats, whatever, they all do business the same goddamn way.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob wrote:
Nekochan wrote:LOL, Bob.   

There was no bidding,  neko.  This was a no-bid contract.  
Exactly like Dick Cheney's company,  Halliburton,  got all that business in Iraq with a no-bid contract.

Aren't you starting to get the message now?  Republicans,  Democrats,  whatever,  they all do business the same goddamn way.
I didn't know that.  I don't think no-bid contracts are always a bad thing. Depends on the circumstances.  And Halliburton got no bid contracts before the Bush Admin was in power. http://archive.frontpagemag.com/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=11068

When Factcheck.org checked the facts about allegations by Democrats that there was a scandal because of the "no-bid" contracts awarded to Halliburton they stated, "It is false to imply that Bush personally awarded a contract to Halliburton. The ‘no-bid contract’ in question is actually an extension of an earlier contract to support U.S. troops overseas that Halliburton won under open bidding. In fact, the notion that Halliburton benefited from any cronyism has been poo-poohed by a Harvard University professor, Steven Kelman, who was administrator of the Office of Federal Procurement Policy in the Clinton administration. ‘One would be hard-pressed to discover anyone with a working knowledge of how federal contracts are awarded...who doesn't regard these allegations as being somewhere between highly improbable and utterly absurd,’ Kelman wrote in the Washington Post last November." 

But is there a reason a particular company got this Obamacare job?  Because they have not gotten the job done.

Last edited by Nekochan on 10/16/2013, 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:I didn't know that.  I don't think no-bid contracts are always a bad thing. Depends on the circumstances.  And Halliburton got no bid contracts before the Bush Admin was in power.  But is there a reason a particular company got this Obamacare job?  Because they have not gotten the job done.
That's right,  neko,  Halliburton got no-bid contracts when a democrat was in power and it got them when a republican was in power.  And this same website developer also got no-big contracts when Bush was in power as well when Obama is in power (read the links I provided earlier). Get the picture?

And as for the reason any outfit gets a no-bid government contract,  just follow the money.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob wrote:
Nekochan wrote:I didn't know that.  I don't think no-bid contracts are always a bad thing. Depends on the circumstances.  And Halliburton got no bid contracts before the Bush Admin was in power.  But is there a reason a particular company got this Obamacare job?  Because they have not gotten the job done.
That's right,  neko,  Halliburton got no-bid contracts when a democrat was in power and it got them when a republican was in power.  And this same website developer also got no-big contracts when Bush was in power as well when Obama is in power (read the links I provided earlier).  Get the picture?

And as for the reason any outfit gets a no-bid government contract,  just follow the money.
There are problems with going with the lowest bidder as well.  Many, many problems...

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:There are problems with going with the lowest bidder as well.  Many, many problems...
Well without bids, we have the obamacare website developer and we have this...

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2007/11/halliburton200711

So if it can get any worse than that, you'll have to prove it to me with specific examples.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob wrote:
Nekochan wrote:There are problems with going with the lowest bidder as well.  Many, many problems...
Well without bids,  we have the obamacare website developer and we have this...

So if it can get any worse than that,  you'll have to prove it to me with specific examples.
A bid shouldn't only be about the lowest cost, but about whether a company can deliver the product for the cost they bid on it.  I don't know the answer to solving this but I think that there is always going to be fraud involved...there are always people who will figure a way to steal money or to fraudulently divert money from the government.  I don't think the solution will ever involve totally doing away with fraud.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:  I don't think the solution will ever involve totally doing away with fraud.
Two scenarios.

1. Politicians are free to choose whichever companies they wish to fulfill government contracts. This automatically opens the door to overpriced contracts, kickbacks, political favoritism, and all manner of corruption.

2. The politicians are required to put government contracts out for bid.
Yes, there is the possibility that a bidder will bid too low and cannot complete the job successfully. But a competent and efficient government
could easily mandate that any company which is guilty of doing that would be barred from bidding on any future contracts.

So which one is preferable?

Looks like a job for the Studer group as your Patient satisfaction seems to be lacking.. ........

28 Studer Group Partners Recognized as one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Patient Experience in 2013

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Mr Ichi wrote:Looks like a job for the  Studer group as your Patient  satisfaction seems to be lacking.. ........

28 Studer Group Partners Recognized as one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Patient Experience in 2013
I understand Studer made his money by being a consultant to hospitals to coach them how to conduct their business. And that Baptist was one of his clients. Did he also work his magic on Sacred Heart too?

Nekochan wrote:
Bob wrote:
Well without bids,  we have the obamacare website developer and we have this...

So if it can get any worse than that,  you'll have to prove it to me with specific examples.
A bid shouldn't only be about the lowest cost, but about whether a company can deliver the product for the cost they bid on it.  I don't know the answer to solving this but I think that there is always going to be fraud involved...there are always people who will figure a way to steal money or to fraudulently divert money from the government.  I don't think the solution will ever involve totally doing away with fraud.
In the Boat business you have to post a performance bond equal to the amount of the contract.

Bob wrote:
Mr Ichi wrote:Looks like a job for the  Studer group as your Patient  satisfaction seems to be lacking.. ........

I understand Studer made his money by being a consultant to hospitals to coach them how to conduct their business.  And that Baptist was one of his clients.  Did he also work his magic on Sacred Heart too?
If not, then he needs too. A few extra bucks for the last place Blue Wahoos sure could not hurt. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Looks like no Pensacola hospital is on that list...

Kings Daughters Medical Center
   Mary Greeley Medical Center
   Medical University Hospital
   OSF St Joseph Medical Center
   Pikeville Medical Center
   Rockcastle Regional Hospital
   Roper St. Francis Healthcare
   St. Davids HealthCare
   St. Francis Medical Center – LA
   St. Joseph Mercy Health System
   Self Regional Healthcare
   Sherman Health
   Spartanburg Regional Health
   Stewart Memorial Community Hospital
   UAB Health System
   University of Washington
   White Plains Hospital
   Wooster Community Hospital
   Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
   Froedert Health inc
   Lafayette General Health System
   Lakewood Health System
   Metro Health Hospital
   Avera Sacred Heart Hospital (Yankton, SD)
   Bryan Medical Center
   Carolinas Medical Center – NorthEast
   Indiana University Heath North Hospital
   Indiana University Health West Hospital

https://www.studergroup.com/resources/news-media/press-releases/28-studer-group-partners-recognized-as-one-of-amer/

Looks like no Pensacola hospital is on that list...

Then there is our answer!!!!  Paging Mr Studer!!!!  Code Blue!!!!  Please Bring your magic dust to our local Hospitals.....
Free season tickets to the Blue Wahoos with every heart attack or stoke.

Last edited by Mr Ichi on 10/16/2013, 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum