Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My apology to ghost rider. And a message to others.

+6
Sal
othershoe1030
Joanimaroni
Nekochan
Slicef18
Hospital Bob
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Nekochan

Nekochan

A few months ago we went to the National Cornbread Festival in South Pittsburgh. They had all kinds of cornbread. I sampled some of it and it was ok, but not the best I've had. They had a couple of cornbread cooking contests that were judged by some people from Martha White.

When I was growing up, we only had unsweetened cornbread. It was always good. But some of my favorite cornbread today are those corn muffins they have at Sonny's Barbecue. They're sweet but they sure are good.

Sal

Sal

Nekochan wrote:A few months ago we went to the National Cornbread Festival in South Pittsburgh. They had all kinds of cornbread. I sampled some of it and it was ok, but not the best I've had. They had a couple of cornbread cooking contests that were judged by some people from Martha White.

When I was growing up, we only had unsweetened cornbread. It was always good. But some of my favorite cornbread today are those corn muffins they have at Sonny's Barbecue. They're sweet but they sure are good.

Unsweetened cornbread made from scratch is awfully good, but I'll be damned if Jiffy mix baked in a cast iron skillet greased with lard isn't the best tastin' bread on the face of the earth.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

thread_bear wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
thread_bear wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Or they can drop by Arlene's and grab some of her cornbread muffins.

but if i go to Arlene's, i won't stop with just the cornbread.

it's a great idea joanie, but my willpower says i should stick with the established menu.

yes....we will be having cornbread.

thanx for your input....i hope you get a chance to try my greens some day.

Buy some of Arlene's collards and let Bob do a taste test. The last side of greens I got from her....made it necessary for me to go back and compliment the cook.

okay, you might be right joanie.. but will she let you watch while she cuts up the prep and does the mirepoix...? i don't think so.

good grief maroni. it's just gonna be me sharing a recipe for cooking collards with bob. it's not some sort of freaking contest with arlenes. no offense to her or her product.

what is wrong with you that you turn a happy go lucky thread about two old farts who like collards into a contest with a local fast food restaurant....?

since you opened this can of worms (vitrio )....let's examine the facts.

you live in Gulf Breeze and Arlenes is way over the pond in Troy Moon land, Brownsville.

you said that arlene's greens were so damned good you had to go all the way back and compliment the chef on them dang greens. really....?

did you carry your dog you just registered for welfare and for his "right" to vote as a democrat....?

you just ain't as funny nor half agin as smart as you think you is.

What the Hell is your problem?

I really don't think Arlene's sister is all that into French Cuisine and HELL yes, I went back and complimented her sister. I also purchased more of Mr. Williams homemade BBQ sauce...and I went to the Oriental food store. OMG all that in one road trip.

Do you have a problem with that or just major problems in general?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

salinsky wrote:
Nekochan wrote:A few months ago we went to the National Cornbread Festival in South Pittsburgh. They had all kinds of cornbread. I sampled some of it and it was ok, but not the best I've had. They had a couple of cornbread cooking contests that were judged by some people from Martha White.

Unsweetened cornbread made from scratch is awfully good, but I'll be damned if Jiffy mix baked in a cast iron skillet greased with lard isn't the best tastin' bread on the face of the earth.

I started using Jiffy mix cornbread several years ago...and now that is all I use unless I am making dressing. I have to have the unsweetened mix for my dressing.

Nekochan

Nekochan

What did you get at the Oriental food store? We have a couple of Oriental food stores here in Huntsville, but since Huntsville is an Army town, the stores have mostly Korean foods (there are lots of Korean and German wives here). The shops here don't carry much in the way of Japanese items. Sad

Last edited by Nekochan on 8/2/2012, 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Nekochan

Nekochan

Yep, Jiffy is some good stuff. And cheap too.

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:
I started using Jiffy mix cornbread several years ago...and now that is all I use unless I am making dressing. I have to have the unsweetened mix for my dressing.

I hope you bake it in a cast iron skillet greased, if you can't bring yourself to use actual lard, then at least with Crisco. Bake that baby until it's a crusty golden brown on the bottom and sides. Heaven with a stick o'butter.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Nekochan wrote:What did you get at the Oriental food store? We have a couple of Oriental food stores here in Huntsville, but since Huntsville is an Army town, the stores have mostly Korean foods (there are lots of Korean and German wives here). The shops here don't carry much in the way of Japanese items. Sad
Pantai Sweetened Chili sauce....I need to go back and get some egg roll wrappers.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

salinsky wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

I hope you bake it in a cast iron skillet greased, if you can't bring yourself to use actual lard, then at least with Crisco. Bake that baby until it's a crusty golden brown on the bottom and sides. Heaven with a stick o'butter.

I use bacon grease to prepare the cast iron pan...of course I have to add jalapeno's and cheese to my cornbread...and occassionally some whole kernel corn.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Nekochan wrote:Bob, I hope you didn't have your hopes too high. It didn't even last through the full moon.
And it came out of nowhere!

Nekochan

Nekochan

I don't know anything about Pantei sauce, but I'd like some Bulldog sauce. And some good Japanese rice. And some Japanese milk tea. Damn, I miss my milk tea. But if they had it at one of the stores here, it would be expensive so maybe it's just as well I don't get addicted to the stuff anymore.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Joanimaroni wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Bob, I hope you didn't have your hopes too high. It didn't even last through the full moon.

Just like always and he'll play the victim as always. Twisted Evil

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:
I use bacon grease to prepare the cast iron pan...of course I have to add jalapeno's and cheese to my cornbread...and occassionally some whole kernel corn.

Damn! Here, I'm talkin' shop with a pro. You're kickin' it up a notch. I want some of bear's greens with some of your bread.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

salinsky wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

Damn! Here, I'm talkin' shop with a pro. You're kickin' it up a notch. I want some of bear's greens with some of your bread.

I like cornbread muffins....but I always end up using the cast-iron frying pan. Those pans belonged to my grandmother and my mother... I don't think I could ever get a cast-iron muffin pan properly seasoned like my fry pans.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Joani, that sounds good as long as it's not too spicy with the peppers. My husband would really like your cornbread though, cause he likes spicy foods. When I was growing up, there was nothing extra put in our cornbread. It was made from scratch, cast iron skillet with bacon grease and with no sugar or cheese or anything like that. And it was good. But I sure love sweet corn muffins, too.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Nekochan wrote:Joani, that sounds good as long as it's not too spicy with the peppers. My husband would really like your cornbread though, cause he likes spicy foods. When I was growing up, there was nothing extra put in our cornbread. It was made from scratch, cast iron skillet with bacon grease and with no sugar or cheese or anything like that. And it was good. But I sure love sweet corn muffins, too.

That's how my grandmother and my mother made cornbread....for years it was made from scratch. I was shocked when I saw my mom start using Ballard cornbread milk. No way in hell would she ever use Jiffy.

Joanimaroni wrote:

why does any of this matter to you....? does it bother you so much that i'm just a regular dude...who wanted to have some existential fun sitha friend......?????

or that i have two awesome grand kids, and sadly for myself and their Grandmother, we can't just drop every thing and run down to Tampa for a visit....?

maroni, our lives are very complicated, and way past the simplistacalistalistacalistacalicalism approach you want to use in the equation.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Joani, that sounds good as long as it's not too spicy with the peppers. My husband would really like your cornbread though, cause he likes spicy foods. When I was growing up, there was nothing extra put in our cornbread. It was made from scratch, cast iron skillet with bacon grease and with no sugar or cheese or anything like that. And it was good. But I sure love sweet corn muffins, too.

That's how my grandmother and my mother made cornbread....for years it was made from scratch. I was shocked when I saw my mom start using Ballard cornbread milk. No way in hell would she ever use Jiffy.

If the little ones are going to eat my cornbread....I omit the seeds.

Nekochan

Nekochan

When I was growing up, we had cornbread, greens and beans and peas..a LOT! Very simple foods. But hubby is a midwesterner and we didn't always live in the South and I always cooked to suit his taste because a man should come home to food he likes, and hubby doesn't like collards, turnips, or mustard greens. So over the years, our meals have consisted of a lot of pot roasts, meatloaf and potatoes and corn and such. Hubby does like a lot of southern foods (like okra and cornbread), but he will not eat any kind of cooked greens. But there is nothing like a good pot of collards and good corn bread baked in a cast iron skillet....

Nekochan wrote:But there is nothing like a good pot of collards and good corn bread baked in a cast iron skillet....

I do most of the cooking around our house. I like to grease up a well-seasoned cast iron pan with bacon grease and pop it into the oven at 425 while I am making the cornbread batter. Then I take the pan out of the oven and it is smokin' like crazy... and pour the batter into that hot pan and it sizzles something fierce! Then put it back into the oven and bake it. It never sticks to the pan and it has a good crust all around.

Joanimaroni wrote:
thread_bear wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
thread_bear wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Or they can drop by Arlene's and grab some of her cornbread muffins.

but if i go to Arlene's, i won't stop with just the cornbread.

it's a great idea joanie, but my willpower says i should stick with the established menu.

yes....we will be having cornbread.

thanx for your input....i hope you get a chance to try my greens some day.

Buy some of Arlene's collards and let Bob do a taste test. The last side of greens I got from her....made it necessary for me to go back and compliment the cook.

okay, you might be right joanie.. but will she let you watch while she cuts up the prep and does the mirepoix...? i don't think so.

good grief maroni. it's just gonna be me sharing a recipe for cooking collards with bob. it's not some sort of freaking contest with arlenes. no offense to her or her product.

what is wrong with you that you turn a happy go lucky thread about two old farts who like collards into a contest with a local fast food restaurant....?

since you opened this can of worms (vitrio )....let's examine the facts.

you live in Gulf Breeze and Arlenes is way over the pond in Troy Moon land, Brownsville.

you said that arlene's greens were so damned good you had to go all the way back and compliment the chef on them dang greens. really....?

did you carry your dog you just registered for welfare and for his "right" to vote as a democrat....?

you just ain't as funny nor half agin as smart as you think you is.

What the Hell is your problem?

I really don't think Arlene's sister is all that into French Cuisine and HELL yes, I went back and complimented her sister. I also purchased more of Mr. Williams homemade BBQ sauce...and I went to the Oriental food store. OMG all that in one road trip.

Do you have a problem with that or just major problems in general?

sorry maroni...all apologies. i'll let bob tell you the story of the collards and what it took to make it happen.

i guess i'm still not used to the idea of detente and i apologize for reacting badly to your post.

i just spoke with bob and it appears that we hit a home run. praise the Lord. this was Divine Intervenvention.

Sorry folks, but I would pit my mom's as well as my grandmother's collards against anyone's. Hell, not only collards, but any kind of greens, turnip, mustard and yes even poke salad.

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:Sorry folks, but I would pit my mom's as well as my grandmother's collards against anyone's. Hell, not only collards, but any kind of greens, turnip, mustard and yes even poke salad.

this is not a contest....please, no wagering....[b]

thread_bear wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:Sorry folks, but I would pit my mom's as well as my grandmother's collards against anyone's. Hell, not only collards, but any kind of greens, turnip, mustard and yes even poke salad.

No disrespect intended for you collards, but I will dance with the one that brung me and I have lots of experience with the aforementioned people.

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
thread_bear wrote:

No disrespect intended for you collards, but I will dance with the one that brung me and I have lots of experience with the aforementioned people.

LOL....none taken. at least the C word this is about is collards. that's a step up from the muck.

this became a topic because bob mentioned it. he's a passionate dude to say the least. he wanted to know how to make them collards and shucky durn, that settled it.

it's actually a very simple equation. goal attainment.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum