Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Pensacola Forum

+7
PBulldog2
Joanimaroni
Yella
gulfbeachbandit
no stress
TEOTWAWKI
ZVUGKTUBM
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

51New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 12:43 pm

riceme wrote:
Yella wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
I am sure that some will sneak in bbut if they do and start cauding trouble, then you can rest assured that I will kick them out through the same door from whence they came in. I have no illusions about the forum that I started, but one thing is for sure, it will be a lot less vulgar than this place.

If you expel them will they be able to come back under a different name? I feel certain we have folks here who will comment on the same thread under different names.

I have misplaced the link that will allow my to sign up. Can you lay it on me?

You and I are on the same page, Yeller. I was just gonna ask GR if he had the ability to ban (or give timeouts, which I think is a great idea. I had to give myself a timeout last night. Sowwy, guys) via IP address or just by member name? OR, when a new member signs up (like in the event that they're in a heated fight, you give 'em a timeout, and they register for a new acct there) can you runup the IP addresses against each other to ensure there are no duplicates?

Rice, it can be done either way. By user name or by IP address. I understand that if a user name is banned then all someone would have to do is create another name and register. With IP the ban will be in place until it is physically removed and it is hard to change your IP and also forumotion.com does not allow proxies.

52New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 12:50 pm

Yomama wrote:
riceme wrote:LOL... Lurch, I'm sure you know what "humping" means in that context, but I have found that not many people do.

Shocked

Well, I don't know what they're talking about. I could look it up, but it would be entertaining to hear from y'all what it means.

Here in Hoover, they have "Speed Humps" instead of "Speed Bumps"... and I found that amusing.

Like you, I have a juvenile sense of humor and always laugh over the use of words like "hump." My favorite is "erection" which is, in my job, a word that I have to say every day. As in, "What's the status of the erection team?" (erecting towers at a new project). And, how would you like to be the Erection Manager?? Only the first time I ever heard someone utter such a funny phrase without even cracking a smile did I burst out laughing (many years ago), but I ALWAYS laugh my butt off on the inside! Laughing

I'm too lazy to explain humping in detail, so I'm linking to an article below. The author only referenced railcars, but it also applies to 20- and 40-footers ("sea" containers), flatbeds, 52' - 53' vans,... you name it. If it's hauling sensitive equipment it could bear a DO NOT HUMP sticker, even if the term is simplified to mean "do not BUMP this trailer with your big-ass 40k forklift, or I may be paying for the contents!"

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/592/what-does-do-not-hump-mean-on-the-side-of-railroad-cars

53New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 12:51 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
riceme wrote:
Yella wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
I am sure that some will sneak in bbut if they do and start cauding trouble, then you can rest assured that I will kick them out through the same door from whence they came in. I have no illusions about the forum that I started, but one thing is for sure, it will be a lot less vulgar than this place.

If you expel them will they be able to come back under a different name? I feel certain we have folks here who will comment on the same thread under different names.

I have misplaced the link that will allow my to sign up. Can you lay it on me?

You and I are on the same page, Yeller. I was just gonna ask GR if he had the ability to ban (or give timeouts, which I think is a great idea. I had to give myself a timeout last night. Sowwy, guys) via IP address or just by member name? OR, when a new member signs up (like in the event that they're in a heated fight, you give 'em a timeout, and they register for a new acct there) can you runup the IP addresses against each other to ensure there are no duplicates?

Rice, it can be done either way. By user name or by IP address. I understand that if a user name is banned then all someone would have to do is create another name and register. With IP the ban will be in place until it is physically removed and it is hard to change your IP and also forumotion.com does not allow proxies.

If IP addresses can be banned, then that should give potential trouble makers pause. If they start their crap and persist with it, they can get a permanent timeout. Sad it has to come to that, but I like the idea.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

54New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 12:53 pm

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

Thank you sir. May I presume that you will not tolerate the posting of others' personal information malarkey that sent me off the darn rails in the past couple of days?

Tak!

55New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 12:54 pm

riceme wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

Thank you sir. May I presume that you will not tolerate the posting of others' personal information malarkey that sent me off the darn rails in the past couple of days?

Tak!

Your presumption is absolutely correct. Though I do not have a problem with first names only as the admin of the forum, I have to go by what others feel about the issue and if others are not tolerant of it, then I must also be. As an admin, I will do my best to be as unbiased as I possibly can.

56New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 1:12 pm

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
If IP addresses can be banned, then that should give potential trouble makers pause. If they start their crap and persist with it, they can get a permanent timeout. Sad it has to come to that, but I like the idea.

It's not going to be that easy. Unfortunately, many Internet Service Providers do not assign a certain IP address to a certain user. Every time a user logs on, their ISP assigns a new number from a range of IP addresses that are assigned to the ISP. Some ISPs do assign an IP to a user (called a static IP), but there are ways to go into a setup screen and release the IP number and get a new one from the ISP.

57New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 4:32 pm

Yomama wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

It's not going to be that easy. Unfortunately, many Internet Service Providers do not assign a certain IP address to a certain user. Every time a user logs on, their ISP assigns a new number from a range of IP addresses that are assigned to the ISP. Some ISPs do assign an IP to a user (called a static IP), but there are ways to go into a setup screen and release the IP number and get a new one from the ISP.

Eggzachary. I will volunteer that mine is static. And when you view your members in a map... well let's just say that I'll be the only person anywhere near where I am. LOL.

58New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 4:38 pm

riceme wrote:Eggzachary. I will volunteer that mine is static. And when you view your members in a map... well let's just say that I'll be the only person anywhere near where I am. LOL.

Well, darlin'. You aren't in jeopardy of being banned... unless you go off your lithium. Razz

59New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 7:27 pm

no stress

no stress

"We need more women. REAL women!"

granny , men have been saying that for centuries

60New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 7:32 pm

VectorMan

VectorMan

I don't like that you have to be registered and logged in to see the images and links. Is that the norm? I've only posted on PNJ and PDF. But, at the PNJ you could see everything and only had to be logged in to comment.

61New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 7:33 pm

Granny4Peace

Granny4Peace

Gunz wrote:"We need more women. REAL women!"

granny , men have been saying that for centuries

LOL....OK, but it sounds like you've already got yours Very Happy

62New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 7:38 pm

Yomama wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

Eric on the contrary, it is quit easy. Since I set this up yesterday I have been closely monitoring members IP address at each of their log on times and the IP has never changed. That is the difference between a static and a dynamic IP address.

63New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 7:42 pm

VectorMan wrote:I don't like that you have to be registered and logged in to see the images and links. Is that the norm? I've only posted on PNJ and PDF. But, at the PNJ you could see everything and only had to be logged in to comment.

That is because I have the permissions set that limits what a guest can and cannot do.

64New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 8:10 pm

VectorMan

VectorMan

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
VectorMan wrote:I don't like that you have to be registered and logged in to see the images and links. Is that the norm? I've only posted on PNJ and PDF. But, at the PNJ you could see everything and only had to be logged in to comment.

That is because I have the permissions set that limits what a guest can and cannot do.

Can't even see an image or a link? Come on! How much do you want to moderate?

65New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 8:14 pm

no stress

no stress

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

I like that....all in or nothing

66New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 8:17 pm

VectorMan wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

he doesnt want me to see what goes on there. that way they can post my shit and I wont know it. seems like its gonna be another chat cave, with a little bat cave secrecy going on lol

67New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 8:23 pm

VectorMan

VectorMan

Gunz wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

I don't like it. It might be better to let people see all of what's going on in there before they want to be "all in". They're images and links. What's the big deal?

68New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 8:37 pm

VectorMan wrote:
Gunz wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

I don't like it. It might be better to let people see all of what's going on in there before they want to be "all in". They're images and links. What's the big deal?

Well unfortunately that is the way it is and that is the way it is going to stay. If you want to join, then by all means do so, if not then that is OK also.

69New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 8:41 pm

KARMA wrote:
VectorMan wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

he doesnt want me to see what goes on there. that way they can post my shit and I wont know it. seems like its gonna be another chat cave, with a little bat cave secrecy going on lol

Not at all. You are welcome to join, however your foul language is not. You have 2 choices, either join or don't like I told vector. I did not start it with the intention of pleasing everybody because I know that no matter how hard I try they will always be the naysayers around.

BTW, you can read every post in every forum over there. Only you cannot post or view any images without being registered and logged on.

70New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 8:53 pm

VectorMan

VectorMan

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
VectorMan wrote:
Gunz wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

Well unfortunately that is the way it is and that is the way it is going to stay. If you want to join, then by all means do so, if not then that is OK also.

Why?

71New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 8:56 pm

VectorMan

VectorMan

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
KARMA wrote:
VectorMan wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

Not at all. You are welcome to join, however your foul language is not. You have 2 choices, either join or don't like I told vector. I did not start it with the intention of pleasing everybody because I know that no matter how hard I try they will always be the naysayers around.

BTW, you can read every post in every forum over there. Only you cannot post or view any images without being registered and logged on.

Or see links.

How open of you.

Twoism/Boards did better, even with the crazies. And, no holds barred, or being banned/timed out.

To each his/her own.

A little more transparency might be in order.

Just saying.

You are THE MODERATOR. Enjoy your POWER!

72New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 9:29 pm

VectorMan wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
KARMA wrote:
VectorMan wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

Or see links.

How open of you.

Twoism/Boards did better, even with the crazies. And, no holds barred, or being banned/timed out.

To each his/her own.

A little more transparency might be in order.

Just saying.

You are THE MODERATOR. Enjoy your POWER!

Yep and you see what has happened here with no active moderation. People talking like school yard bullies, vulgarities being thrown about like necklaces at a Mardi Gras parade, do I need to name more. This forum has turned into nothing by a school kid fight. Members have been shying away from that crap in droves for the last few weeks. So what is the member numbers here 150 plus. Of these 150 how many are actual posters on a regular basis.

Don't compare me to Boards. I am not him and he is not me. I run my forum as I see fit, he runs his as he sees fit. I run mine with a bit of decency in mind and where the members act like adults with no limited vocabulary.

As I told you earlier, take it or leave it. It matters not one iota to me.

73New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 9:48 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

looks like it's the battle of the forums.
in one corner we have the renegade forum
in the other corner the moderated forum.
dunno.
we'll have to wait and see.

74New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 9:50 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I will have to make this one observation though.
will (boards) aint postin to your forum but you are postin to his forum.
I don't know for sure what to conclude from that but i think there may be something to be learned from it. do you?

75New Pensacola Forum - Page 3 Empty Re: New Pensacola Forum 7/31/2012, 9:53 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I can't help it. I just don't like bosses. And it looks like you're gonna be bossin you're forum but will (boards) let's the forum be what it may even if it does look like a trainwreck.
sometimes a trainwreck is more entertaining than a controlled environment.
and yes entertainment is what we're here for. all the rest is secondary.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum