Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Malware in Pensacola Discussion Forum Advertisments

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

FYI

Malware in Pensacola Discussion Forum Advertisments Pdfmal11

knothead

knothead

alecto wrote:FYI

Malware in Pensacola Discussion Forum Advertisments Pdfmal11

I'm getting the same alert, what if anything can we do to get this trojan eliminated? I know you are a computer guru . . . .

Is it only in the ads...?

I never click them, so am I also in danger of that crap...?

bizguy

W_T_M wrote:Is it only in the ads...?

I never click them, so am I also in danger of that crap...?

I have never clicked on one of the ads but I have had that warning screen pop up several times this morning while looking at the posts.

knothead

knothead

I'm hoping alecto will come to the rescue and tell us what the heck to do . . .

Sal

Sal

Get a Mac.

knothead

knothead

Sal wrote:Get a Mac.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

catfriedlegs

Use Mozilla.
Download the following add-on - AdBlockPlus

It blocks most every ad. I never see ads on the PDF.

http://adblockplus.org/en/firefox

Also Web of Trust is highly recommended.

http://www.mywot.com/

Shows what websites you can trust, and which ones to stay away from. Works well.
That should help a lot. Good luck. Have a great day.

Azadeh is correct, would also like to add google chrome, waterfox, or Comodo Dragon. All of these browsers can install adblock plus which disables the code from running on your cpu, keep in mind some legitimate websites may not work correctly when adblock plus is installed but you can add them to a whitelist which allows the site to work.

FYI you do not have to click on the ads in order to run malicious code, once you see the ad on the screen the code has run and it may be to late, for the MAC lovers, sorry but it can affect a MAC also since the code is designed to run in a launguage that is universal to the web any web browser can execute the code including smartphones and tablets. Most of the time the code is searching for personal information like email passwords, banking info,anything of interest and it usually accomplishes this by reading the cookies of a browser. Some malicious code can be executed to install trojans, this is where JAVA has become a big issue.

http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/browser.php <For Riceme, since she likes comodo>

http://www.waterfoxproject.org/

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

I second what Az and alecto have said about adblock plus. I have been running it on Firefox ever since I heard about it. I am now aware that adblock plus is also available for Chrome.

Hey alecto...

Muchas gracias, amigo! I wish I could remember what thread that was on where we were discussing firewalls because I asked you a couple questions but I don't think you ever went back.

Just for clarity, I run FF with a shitpile of security ad-ons, including AdBlock Plus, Ghostery, Redirect Remover, BetterPrivacy (selective, manual LSO removal), TrackMeNot, WOT,............. and on and on. The lovely and talented Ms Az taught me everything I know... she's a sharp cookie!

I only use the COMODO Premium Internet Security program, not the browser: AntiVirus, Defense+, Firewall and More.

Now Az... won'tcha please stick around and post with yer lil sissy rice cakes??

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:I second what Az and alecto have said about adblock plus. I have been running it on Firefox ever since I heard about it. I am now aware that adblock plus is also available for Chrome.

Agreed... I would never know there were ads on any of these forums if someone didn't tell me. Same goes for PNJ and other news sites.

Now, FB is a little more tricky. I only log into that SOB once a month if that, but you need to install a couple-few things special if you use that site:

Ad-Bye for Facebook
Facebook Phishing Blocker

I have a couple others that disable the FB button functionality on all webpages I visit, but that's just for folks who really super duper distrust those shifty Facebook punks.

riceme wrote:Hey alecto...

Muchas gracias, amigo! I wish I could remember what thread that was on where we were discussing firewalls because I asked you a couple questions but I don't think you ever went back.

Just for clarity, I run FF with a shitpile of security ad-ons, including AdBlock Plus, Ghostery, Redirect Remover, BetterPrivacy (selective, manual LSO removal), TrackMeNot, WOT,............. and on and on. The lovely and talented Ms Az taught me everything I know... she's a sharp cookie!

I only use the COMODO Premium Internet Security program, not the browser: AntiVirus, Defense+, Firewall and More.

Now Az... won'tcha please stick around and post with yer lil sissy rice cakes??

I apologize if I did not get back with you on a question, if you can remember it or find it I would be happy to answer anything I could.

Az is really your sister?

I thought I was safe because I put a latex condom over my mouse.

How will I find out if I already have online aids...?

BTW. Howdy to yer face AZ.

alecto wrote:
I apologize if I did not get back with you on a question, if you can remember it or find it I would be happy to answer anything I could.

Az is really your sister?

No problem, man... I've no doubt you're super busy. I am too, but have the luxury of working out of my home and making my own hours (YIPPEE!!).

No sir, Az is not technically my sister, but she is my best friend and she is as close to family to me as a non-relative can get. As such, we have adopted each other as sisters, although I already had plenty on my side already... she is a welcome addition and I love her so very dearly.

Basically the question I had was concerning your response to me regarding utilizing COMODO for my firewall and disabling my factory-installed, crapass firewall. For your reference, if it might help, I included the following information: 64-bit Windows 7 OS; COMPLETELY crappy HP-G62-339WM laptop. Need to get my trusty ole machine w/XP Professional on it running again. I miss XP Professional AND that machine!

So my question was that I had always heard that you should never, ever run two firewalls at the same time, as they interfere with each other and... well, cancel each other out, for lack of better terminology. Again, please note my above comment that I do NOT run the COMODO browser, just Firewall, Anti-Virus, Defense+... program is called COMODO Internet Security Premium, and it blocks anything it deems to be hinky. It is pretty overprotective (which suits me just fine), and I often have to go in to allow programs to run at which time I can also submit them to COMODO for their analysis and (hopefully!) green-light.

Hope that's all clear as mud.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Azadeh wrote:Use Mozilla.
Download the following add-on - AdBlockPlus

It blocks most every ad. I never see ads on the PDF.

http://adblockplus.org/en/firefox

Also Web of Trust is highly recommended.

http://www.mywot.com/

Shows what websites you can trust, and which ones to stay away from. Works well.
That should help a lot. Good luck. Have a great day.

AZ!!!! Hello! Great to "see" you! Very Happy

riceme wrote:
No problem, man... I've no doubt you're super busy. I am too, but have the luxury of working out of my home and making my own hours (YIPPEE!!).

No sir, Az is not technically my sister, but she is my best friend and she is as close to family to me as a non-relative can get. As such, we have adopted each other as sisters, although I already had plenty on my side already... she is a welcome addition and I love her so very dearly.

Basically the question I had was concerning your response to me regarding utilizing COMODO for my firewall and disabling my factory-installed, crapass firewall. For your reference, if it might help, I included the following information: 64-bit Windows 7 OS; COMPLETELY crappy HP-G62-339WM laptop. Need to get my trusty ole machine w/XP Professional on it running again. I miss XP Professional AND that machine!

So my question was that I had always heard that you should never, ever run two firewalls at the same time, as they interfere with each other and... well, cancel each other out, for lack of better terminology. Again, please note my above comment that I do NOT run the COMODO browser, just Firewall, Anti-Virus, Defense+... program is called COMODO Internet Security Premium, and it blocks anything it deems to be hinky. It is pretty overprotective (which suits me just fine), and I often have to go in to allow programs to run at which time I can also submit them to COMODO for their analysis and (hopefully!) green-light.

Hope that's all clear as mud.

Yes you should never run two different firewalls or antivirus's on the same PC (Software that you install) most security software will disable windows defender on a windows 7 / 8 PC for this reason. Yeah completely get rid of the crappy factory installed firewall, Comodo is a good firewall for an average PC user. Comodo should also disable the default windows firewall, you can not uninstall the windows firewall without having issues.

The firewall I thought you had disabled was the firewall in your router. That is what I said you should leave on. The firewall in a router is a hardware firewall completely independent of any software that you install on a PC. The firewall in a router is what they call a NAT (Network address translation) firewall. All routers perform NAT as a basic function of the router and the firewall just simply secures the NAT process and hides your private network from the internet. Have you ever had Comodo pop up saying a port scan was attempted or someone attempted to spoof your IP? those are some basic attacks that a NAT firewall would stop.

alecto wrote:
Yes you should never run two different firewalls or antivirus's on the same PC (Software that you install) most security software will disable windows defender on a windows 7 / 8 PC for this reason. Yeah completely get rid of the crappy factory installed firewall, Comodo is a good firewall for an average PC user. Comodo should also disable the default windows firewall, you can not uninstall the windows firewall without having issues.

The firewall I thought you had disabled was the firewall in your router. That is what I said you should leave on. The firewall in a router is a hardware firewall completely independent of any software that you install on a PC. The firewall in a router is what they call a NAT (Network address translation) firewall. All routers perform NAT as a basic function of the router and the firewall just simply secures the NAT process and hides your private network from the internet. Have you ever had Comodo pop up saying a port scan was attempted or someone attempted to spoof your IP? those are some basic attacks that a NAT firewall would stop.

Fantastic, then we are all in agreement... I was pretty concerned because I know that you are very knowledgeable, but my buddy who taught me about such things is a CTO and super-sharp, to boot, so I was confuuused. Actually, COMODO did not auto-disable the crapass firewall on this POS machine of mine. I had to disable it manually. I learned the hard way not to actually uninstall the Windows firewall. "Whoopsie!"

No sir, I have not disabled the fw in my router. Apologies for having been unclear... I was actually not aware (or perhaps had forgotten) that there's a COMODO browser and other goodies, so... my bad. I have never had any attempted attacks reported via MalwareBytes. And I have regularly scheduled scans set up, plus I regularly open up the program to review any COMODO pop-up that I may have missed. I am pretty paranoid about the whole thing.

Thank you for all of your great help!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum