Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is anyone familiar w/ the Magnuson Moss law on warranties?

2 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

That's what you get buying from Gpvernment Motors a pos car

It's actually the only problem I've had w/ it.

2seaoat

It isn't necessarily the information... it's the eroding tone and the fact that your input simply required a post or two.

Dreams and I are having a civil conversation and my eroding tone is a strong suggestion that she should not waste her time suing for such a little amount, but she feels confident that she will get them to cough up the additional money, and she can let us know how cooperative they have been with her. The main thing is the truck is safe and repaired. All this getting resolved would just be icing on the cake, but certainly Dreams and I know there has been no eroding tone in this thread compared to past exchanges. This has been civil and informative from my perspective and I hope she is made whole because these things just eat you up.

You can apparently argue with a stop sign... congratulations.

PkrBum wrote:You can apparently argue with a stop sign... congratulations.
Thank you for your defense,PKR but it is very easy when writing to be taken in a wrong context. I appreciate Seaoat's input. It is not a very high stakes case and you have to consider the aggravation of it all but the idea we have laws and they are usurped by corporations w/ deep pockets is dismal.

2seaoat

we have laws and they are usurped by corporations w/ deep pockets is dismal.

That is why corporate America poured money into the senatorial race in Ma.........they do not want a fair and level playing field for consumers. The courts have almost gutted class action certifications, and just like Ford calculating it was easier and less expensive to defend the wrongful death actions because of a known flaw in the Pinto, the American consumer has almost had their rights gutted by the manipulation of Congress.

Your problem was a major issue when I was a mechanic.  I could get the part replaced but most of the time I had to eat the labor though no fault of my own.  Then there was the nagging question from the customer of did I install the part correctly.  In the real world I never found a solution to the problem. In my own case I would very very seldom use a costumer supplied part.  It was part of the reason i moved to heavy equipment and the Marine industry was so that I did not have to deal with the general public.  I was a piss poor businessman.

Probably if you had used a customer supplied part you could just charge the labor. I don't think it matter if I got the part from AC Delco or the garage did. I just cut off the markup....that's all.

I am not tying to be a ass but some of the mark up is the way my shop would cover part of my personal warranty if the part failed and I had to do it again at no cost to the costumer. Granted some shops have a excessive mark up in Parts. If it had been my shop I would have had to eat the entire bill even though it was not my fault

Markle

Markle

This is a major reason we need tort reform and adopt a system similar to that of Great Britain.

Loser pays. If you sue someone and lose in court, you pay all the court costs and attorney fees for the person or company you sued.

It would also be applicable in the medical field.

No, it does not stop acts of malpractice. An attorney would still be happy to take a malpractice case on a contingency basis. They just wouldn't take the fringe cases that had little or no chance of success.

Dreamsglore tried to cut corners and save a few bucks. An admirable goal. She took a chance but now want's someone else to suffer for her decision. Yep, sounds just like a Progressive.

Bite the bullet, tell yourself that This was an expensive learning experience and move on.

Markle

Markle

Mr Ichi wrote:I am not tying to be a ass but some of the mark up is the way my shop would  cover  part of my personal warranty if the part failed and I had to do it again at no cost to the costumer.  Granted some shops have a excessive mark up in Parts.  If it had been my shop I would have had to eat the entire bill even though it was not my fault    
My Ol' Man was a mechanic all his life. He retired before computers. He taught me a lot about cars but was dead set against me becoming a mechanic.

Shops have to make a profit to stay open. I always depend on good referrals from people I trust for tradesman. Then I am loyal to them and never have to question their price. I'm fair with them, they're fair with me. Over the years I have built a network of tradesman I pass on to my customers.

I have an independent garage I have used for over 2 decades. I was referred to them when his father ran the business. They have always been fair and honest. I would never, ever consider buying a part someplace else and asking them to install it for me any more than I'd bring a steak into Outback and ask them to just cook it.

2seaoat

I have a two year old John Deere commercial mower where I had a transmission part replaced for $1,300.00, at least that is what I was quoted, and told them to go ahead. They brought the mower back and gave my wife an $1,800.00 bill. We have had all the blade spindle bearings fail and we replaced them, and we have had three belts break in two years. Our prior John Deere Commercial mower never had a repair, and after five years had one belt change and no bearing replacements on the blade spindles.

I am pissed at how flimsy this 8k mower is compared to the quality John Deere has put in earlier mowers. I will eat the $500 extra charge, and simply buy the next commercial mower from another John Deere dealer....they will lose 2k sales, and future maintenance. I would never think about suing them, but the problem is that somebody really should be holding them accountable for the crap they are now calling a John Deere. I do not agree with the Great Britain system and find if anything our tort system has gone to far to the advantage of negligent doctors and dishonest manufacturers. However, I run a business where I deal with significant loses all the time as a condition of the business. Sometimes it would be nice to be compensated where in this case I think they really put a crap mower out, but I run my equipment hard, and I know that I could be partially responsible for the bad results on this new mower. I also have no problem getting the cheapest parts and putting them on a machine. My bobcat rubber tracked t-190 has three bearings on each side, and early on the dealer was charging me $500 a bearing plus labor. We now replace those bearings and buy them online and delivered for $250 each, or we save $1,500 on the parts by buying online. I do not find Dreams wrong in getting the best price on a part, but I agree building relationships with your service providers is great, but throwing away a couple thousand had me shopping parts, and we now do the spindle bearing and the rear bearing, and change the rubber tracks ......at least before I got sick. I like to give Dreams a hard time, but shopping parts is smart, and certainly this should be discussed with your mechanic.

We now replace those bearings and buy them online and delivered for $250 each, or we save $1,500 on the parts by buying online

Do you think those bearings are as good as the ones you used to make?  You of all people know that bearings are stamped with a universal part numbers.  Most dealers of heavy equipment buy the from Motion Ind or some such place.  But what the hell if of a piece of shit on line bearing seizes and ruins a shaft or transmission. It is no big deal you saved a few dollars. LOL
By the way the Mechanic did not build that piece of crap John Deere.  He just works on it.  Ever thought you might have noticed it was shit before you bought it?  Dont Blame JD because you did not do due diligence.

Markle wrote:This is a major reason we need tort reform and adopt a system similar to that of Great Britain.

Loser pays.  If you sue someone and lose in court, you pay all the court costs and attorney fees for the person or company you sued.

It would also be applicable in the medical field.

No, it does not stop acts of malpractice.  An attorney would still be happy to take a malpractice case on a contingency basis.  They just wouldn't take the fringe cases that had little or no chance of success.

Dreamsglore tried to cut corners and save a few bucks.  An admirable goal.  She took a chance but now want's someone else to suffer for her decision.  Yep, sounds just like a Progressive.

Bite the bullet, tell yourself that  This was an expensive learning experience and move on.
Again dingleberry, what part of the Magnusson Moss law did you not comprehend? It was pretty simple reading. Under the warranty you cannot require a customer to use a particular facility or service. Is that clear or do you want to keep bringing politics in to a non political situation like your dumbass counterparts?

2seaoat

Do you think those bearings are as good as the ones you used to make?

Nope. Our brass retainers would last forever if the customer kept them greased, and our sealed bearings were nearly impossible to fail. The problem is the dealers are now ordering bearings from online and bypassing their franchise. They can pocket $1,500 and if the factory audits their back end they may get a slap on the wrist.

The first John Deere commercial zero turn mower was the best damn mower I have ever seen. So I get a heavier duty John deere, and damn everything is going bad, but I do run equipment hard.

Buy a better car dreams

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum