Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ocean Acidification Accelerating

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sal

Sal

Imagine every person on Earth tossing a hunk of CO2 as heavy as a bowling ball into the sea. That’s what we do to the oceans every day.

Burning fossil fuels, such as coal, oil and natural gas, belches carbon dioxide into the air. But a quarter of that CO2 then gets absorbed by the seas — eight pounds per person per day, about 20 trillion pounds a year.

Scientists once considered that entirely good news, since it removed CO2 from the sky. Some even proposed piping more emissions to the sea.

But all that CO2 is changing the chemistry of the ocean faster than at any time in human history. Now the phenomenon known as ocean acidification — the lesser-known twin of climate change — is helping push the seas toward a great unraveling that threatens to scramble marine life on a scale almost too big to fathom, and far faster than first expected.

Here’s why: When CO2 mixes with water it takes on a corrosive power that erodes some animals’ shells or skeletons. It lowers the pH, making oceans more acidic and sour, and robs the water of ingredients animals use to grow shells in the first place.

Acidification wasn’t supposed to start doing its damage until much later this century.

Instead, changing sea chemistry already has killed billions of oysters along the Washington coast and at a hatchery that draws water from Hood Canal. It’s helping destroy mussels on some Northwest shores. It is a suspect in the softening of clam shells and in the death of baby scallops. It is dissolving a tiny plankton species eaten by many ocean creatures, from auklets and puffins to fish and whales — and that had not been expected for another 25 years.

And this is just the beginning.

http://apps.seattletimes.com/reports/sea-change/2013/sep/11/pacific-ocean-perilous-turn-overview/

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal...I said it before Science is over-rated.

VOLCANOES!Rolling Eyes 

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:Sal...I said it before Science is over-rated.
Ocean Acidification Accelerating 633861426363034370-Facepalm

VectorMan

VectorMan

Chrissy wrote:VOLCANOES!Rolling Eyes 
They only see what advances their agenda.

You can't wake up someone pretending to be asleep. They're already lost.

VectorMan wrote:
Chrissy wrote:VOLCANOES!Rolling Eyes 
They only see what advances their agenda.

You can't wake up someone pretending to be asleep. They're already lost.
I know. but I still need to entertain myself.

Plus im very fond of volcano talk and what I posted is accurate. who knows, maybe he will learn something.....naaaaaaaaaaaa lol

Sal

Sal

Yeah, ...

... volcanoes are a new phenomena ...

... jebus ...

Sal wrote:Yeah, ...

... volcanoes are a new phenomena ...

... jebus ...
No they are not. but activity fluctuates like everything on the planet.

http://www.nature.com/srep/2013/130125/srep01140/full/srep01140.html

Try looking around the world at volcano activity.

its fascinating and a hobby of mine.

The underwater volcanos are my fav. Cool 

BTW. if you are so interested in the earths climate and oceans. I recommend you learn about volcanos. Its a good place for a beginner to start. Smile 

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:Imagine every person on Earth tossing a hunk of CO2 as heavy as a bowling ball into the sea. That’s what we do to the oceans every day.

Burning fossil fuels, such as coal, oil and natural gas, belches carbon dioxide into the air. But a quarter of that CO2 then gets absorbed by the seas — eight pounds per person per day, about 20 trillion pounds a year.

Scientists once considered that entirely good news, since it removed CO2 from the sky. Some even proposed piping more emissions to the sea.

But all that CO2 is changing the chemistry of the ocean faster than at any time in human history. Now the phenomenon known as ocean acidification — the lesser-known twin of climate change — is helping push the seas toward a great unraveling that threatens to scramble marine life on a scale almost too big to fathom, and far faster than first expected.

Here’s why: When CO2 mixes with water it takes on a corrosive power that erodes some animals’ shells or skeletons. It lowers the pH, making oceans more acidic and sour, and robs the water of ingredients animals use to grow shells in the first place.

Acidification wasn’t supposed to start doing its damage until much later this century.

Instead, changing sea chemistry already has killed billions of oysters along the Washington coast and at a hatchery that draws water from Hood Canal. It’s helping destroy mussels on some Northwest shores. It is a suspect in the softening of clam shells and in the death of baby scallops. It is dissolving a tiny plankton species eaten by many ocean creatures, from auklets and puffins to fish and whales — and that had not been expected for another 25 years.

And this is just the beginning.

http://apps.seattletimes.com/reports/sea-change/2013/sep/11/pacific-ocean-perilous-turn-overview/
I guess the "Global Warming Scam" has run out since we've had no warming in 15+ years so the scam artists are moving on to something else CO2 is doing to our environment.

Explain to us what all green plants produce at night for us please.

Also, how much has the percentage of CO2 in our atmosphere increased in the last 150 years. In other words, if it was 5% of our atmosphere 150 years ago is it 10% today?

Most likely there is to little fresh water run off from rivers and creeks and the salinity is to high for the oysters and other shell fish.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Six billion human beings--slated to grow to nine billion by 2050, produce a lot of CO2 simply by exhaling. We can save the planet by culling our numbers down to a more manageble population--say about 2 billion. The problem is deciding who lives and who dies, and who gets to make those decisions.

We cannot have the trappings of modern life and the quantities of food we are accustomed to eating in a world where fossil fuel use is outlawed. In an ideal world, we would have an electrified society powered by renewable energy from the sun. I think we will get closer to that ideal toward the later parts of the 21st Century, but not in the immediate near term, which does not satisfy global warming alarmists.

I do not believe oil companies are undertaking initiatives to derail alternative energy technologies. There will always be a market for petroleum, simply because there are so many uses for it besides wastefully burning it as fuel. The move to alternatives to petroleum will largely be driven by price, not science. When the price of oil is much higher than renewable energy, the move away from petroleum will be made. We are not far away from the point where electricity from solar becomes cheaper than electricity from fossil fuels. This article explains:

http://www.energyandcapital.com/articles/grid-parity-is-here/2287

When we reach grid parity, you will see distributed generation where rooftops everywhere contribute to the grid, with power utilities making most of their electricity during off-peak solar hours. Things like this will do more to decrease fossil fuel use, along with the electric vehicles we will be driving in the next few decades.

But until then, we must continue to use fossil fuels. Geopolitics are going to be changing in the next 15-20 years. Saudi Arabia will become a net oil importer by 2030. The psychological shock from this is going to drive the price of oil sky high, which will help provide impetus for moving away from liquid fuels derived from petroleum. The U.S. is sitting on 58 billion barrels of recoverable crude from its shale formations. Canada sits on 175 billion barrels of recoverable bitumen from the Athabasca oil sands in Alberta (which it intends to fully exploit, regardless of what anyone says). North America will be well positioned to weather the looming Saudi oil shock. Our economies will benefit from selling very high-priced oil, while we steadily transition toward more and more renewable energy (mostly from the sun). At least this is how I think it will happen.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Six billion human beings--slated to grow to nine billion by 2050, produce a lot of CO2 simply by exhaling. We can save the planet by culling our numbers down to a more manageble population--say about 2 billion. The problem is deciding who lives and who dies, and who gets to make those decisions.

We cannot have the trappings of modern life and the quantities of food we are accustomed to eating in a world where fossil fuel use is outlawed. In an ideal world, we would have an electrified society powered by renewable energy from the sun. I think we will get closer to that ideal toward the later parts of the 21st Century, but not in the immediate near term, which does not satisfy global warming alarmists.

I do not believe oil companies are undertaking initiatives to derail alternative energy technologies. There will always be a market for petroleum, simply because there are so many uses for it besides wastefully burning it as fuel. The move to alternatives to petroleum will largely be driven by price, not science. When the price of oil is much higher than renewable energy, the move away from petroleum will be made. We are not far away from the point where electricity from solar becomes cheaper than electricity from fossil fuels. This article explains:

http://www.energyandcapital.com/articles/grid-parity-is-here/2287

When we reach grid parity, you will see distributed generation where rooftops everywhere contribute to the grid, with power utilities making most of their electricity during off-peak solar hours. Things like this will do more to decrease fossil fuel use, along with the electric vehicles we will be driving in the next few decades.

But until then, we must continue to use fossil fuels. Geopolitics are going to be changing in the next 15-20 years. Saudi Arabia will become a net oil importer by 2030. The psychological shock from this is going to drive the price of oil sky high, which will help provide impetus for moving away from liquid fuels derived from petroleum. The U.S. is sitting on 58 billion barrels of recoverable crude from its shale formations. Canada sits on 175 billion barrels of recoverable bitumen from the Athabasca oil sands in Alberta (which it intends to fully exploit, regardless of what anyone says). North America will be well positioned to weather the looming Saudi oil shock. Our economies will benefit from selling very high-priced oil, while we steadily transition toward more and more renewable energy (mostly from the sun). At least this is how I think it will happen.
Im not sure if you recall that we talked about this a few years ago. My simple reply then about oil production is that I think we could have moved away from it sooner but economics has stopped us. If we take away some of these countries ability to provide for themselves by the way of oil, they are not going to be happy. My exact reply was the sand people will be pissed.

Now while I agree and I am not concerned that we need to stop using oil any time soon as man made global warming is a trick. Its a trick to spread wealth by way of taxes globally and with in our own systems as revenue for our greedy over spending gov.

It really is too bad we cant have a good conversation about volcanos here. ive tried a few times and becomes a dud. Sad

I truly am fascinated with volcanoes. In relation to the earth and everything related to our weather etc, volcanoes are a internal ever changing aspect of how our planet functions and why, just as much as the sun is.

We all have to go sometime sal

Ocean Acidification Accelerating Th?id=H.5053609986557820&w=102&h=168&c=7&rs=1&pid=1

More CO2 in the water... Bottle it!

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7w0i5zfXmI

Very Happy 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum