Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Medical examiner fired in Trayvon Martin case

+7
Ghost Rider
2seaoat
nadalfan
Joanimaroni
Markle
Floridatexan
Nekochan
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20130912/NEWS/130912009/Medical-examiner-Trayvon-Martin-autopsy-fired?odyssey=obinsite

"From the medical examiner on down their attitude was Trayvon got what he deserved."

Nekochan

Nekochan

He was a horrible witness.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I don't believe this is over. I think this guy has publicly stated that Trayvon Martin was shot in the back.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Nekochan wrote:He was a horrible witness.
Why? Because he didn't follow your version of events?

Nekochan

Nekochan

Floridatexan wrote:
I don't believe this is over.  I think this guy has publicly stated that Trayvon Martin was shot in the back.
That is not what he testified to, as I recall.

Last edited by Nekochan on 9/14/2013, 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nekochan

Nekochan

Floridatexan wrote:
Nekochan wrote:He was a horrible witness.
Why?  Because he didn't follow your version of events?
Because he said on the stand that he had changed his mind on key points.  Also, he was reading from notes on the stand, under oath, that had not been admitted into evidence.

Did you even watch his testimony in court?

Last edited by Nekochan on 9/14/2013, 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Oh good God! Now the guy lied on the stand to protect Zimmerman?

Nekochan

Nekochan

Dreamsglore wrote:Oh good God! Now the guy lied on the stand to protect Zimmerman?
If Trayvon was shot in the back, why wasn't this on the ME's autopsy report?  Is the ME he saying that he lied on the autopsy report?  That's plenty enough to be fired for.

Markle

Markle

Medical examiner fired in Trayvon Martin case Beat_Dead_HorseSanitysBlog

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Floridatexan wrote:
I don't believe this is over.

I think this guy has publicly stated that Trayvon Martin was shot in the back.

If that is really what he said...then he is completely incompetent. In order to be shot in the back....you have to have a BULLET HOLE in your back. 

Martin had a front entry wound and no exit wound....

nadalfan

Some reporter initially said that Dr. Bao stated that Martin was shot in the back, but later apologized and said Dr. Bao did not say that, but several news sources had already taken off with the story.
What Dr. Bao is claiming is that the prosecutors purposely threw the case and that that he questioned their handling of the case and didn't allow him to offer other evidence. He claims he was told to keep his mouth shut. He believes that is why he is got fired.

Nekochan

Nekochan

If his performance on his job was anything like his testimony in the Zimmerman trial, I understand why he was fired.

nadalfan

Nekochan wrote:If his performance on his job was anything like his testimony in the Zimmerman trial, I understand why he was fired.
http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20130910/NEWS/130919984/1040?Title=Trayvon-Martin-medical-examiner-fired-now-suing-Volusia-County

"Bao started working with the county on July 30, 2011, and his last evaluation on record covered a one-year period ending July 30, 2012. Bao received a score of 87 which placed him in the “Exceeds Expectations” range of 80 to 95.

The evaluation signed by Herrmann and Recktenwald said that Bao cooperates with co-workers and completes assignments in a timely manner.

“Dr. Bao is thorough in his casework and formulates logical and defensible cause of death opinions; researches the literature as needed on unusual findings,” the evaluation states."

2seaoat

Martin had a front entry wound and no exit wound....

Correct. He may have received very favorable reviews for his work in the lab, but part of his job involves courtroom testimony. Cultural and language problems certainly contributed to his dismissal. He did not meet any threshold for an expert witness as he bumbled and had to rely on his notes far more than a pro who understands that his role in the court is to give clear communication to a judge or jury. Without clarity from his position, people can be falsely convicted or guilty people can walk. Good reviews must include his work in court, and not just the lab.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Did you read the 3rd page of your source?  Bao was totally unprofessional on the witness stand.   As an expert witness, he should know and follow the rules of procedure. 
I have no idea how he performed at his job but he  was an embarrassment to his office when he was on the stand.   He changed his opinion on key points about Trayvon Martin but he had failed to mention it to the prosecution, who had called him to testify.

Nekochan

Nekochan

2seaoat wrote:Martin had a front entry wound and no exit wound....

Correct.   He may have received very favorable reviews for his work in the lab, but part of his job involves courtroom testimony.   Cultural and language problems certainly contributed to his dismissal.   He did not meet any threshold for an expert witness as he bumbled and had to rely on his notes far more than a pro who understands that his role in the court is to give clear communication to a judge or jury.   Without clarity from his position, people can be falsely convicted or guilty people can walk.   Good reviews must include his work in court, and not just the lab.
Yes, we agree.  It's going to be a good day. Wink

nadalfan

Nekochan wrote:Did you read the 3rd page of your source?  Bao was totally unprofessional on the witness stand.   As an expert witness, he should know and follow the rules of procedure. 
I have no idea how he performed at his job but he  was an embarrassment to his office when he was on the stand.   He changed his opinion on key points about Trayvon Martin but he had failed to mention it to the prosecution, who had called him to testify.
I haven't formed on opinion on this because it is just coming out. I've been reading about it for a couple of days. When someone gets fired, they may say a lot of things out of anger, so I don't know if what he is claiming is true. Too soon to tell. As far as his testimony goes, whether Martin lived 1, 3, or 10 minutes, really didn't affect my beliefs about what happened.

nadalfan

Correct.   He may have received very favorable reviews for his work in the lab, but part of his job involves courtroom testimony.   Cultural and language problems certainly contributed to his dismissal.   He did not meet any threshold for an expert witness as he bumbled and had to rely on his notes far more than a pro who understands that his role in the court is to give clear communication to a judge or jury.   Without clarity from his position, people can be falsely convicted or guilty people can walk.   Good reviews must include his work in court, and not just the lab.
Fair enough. I'm still going to wait and see whether there is any truth to his claims about the prosecutors pressuring him to keep his mouth shut.

Nekochan

Nekochan

nadalfan wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Did you read the 3rd page of your source?  Bao was totally unprofessional on the witness stand.   As an expert witness, he should know and follow the rules of procedure. 
I haven't formed on opinion on this because it is just coming out.  I've been reading about it for a couple of days.  When someone gets fired, they may say a lot of things out of anger, so I don't know if what he is claiming is true.  Too soon to tell.  As far as his testimony goes, whether Martin lived 1, 3, or 10 minutes, really didn't affect my beliefs about what happened.    
Well, the ME was horrible on the stand.  Testifying in a murder trial where a defendant's life is on the line and where the state is calling on justice for the victim is important, and he failed, miserably.

Nekochan

Nekochan

nadalfan wrote:

Fair enough.  I'm still going to wait and see whether there is any truth to his claims about the prosecutors pressuring him to keep his mouth shut.
It's an interesting twist that he claims but it is irrelevant regarding his performance on the stand.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

They should have gotten Dr G (Dr. Jan Garavaglia) to do the autopsy.

nadalfan wrote:Some reporter initially said that Dr. Bao stated that Martin was shot in the back, but later apologized and said Dr. Bao did not say that, but several news sources had already taken off with the story.
What Dr. Bao is claiming is that the prosecutors purposely threw the case and that that he questioned their handling of the case and didn't allow him to offer other evidence. He claims he was told to keep his mouth shut.  He believes that is why he is got fired.
I see why he got fired now. To claim the prosecution threw the case is absurd.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Ghost Rider wrote:They should have gotten Dr G (Dr. Jan Garavaglia) to do the autopsy.

I heard her speak several years ago,; she was the guest speaker for FSU medical school graduation. She was great.

I didn't watch a lot of the trial, I read coverage in the papers, but  the truth is that if his attitude was that Trayvon got what he deserved from the very beginning, it doesn't surprise me that he was fired. That's not professional in any law enforcement situation  and the guy doesn't need to keep his job.
I hope his attitude didn't influence the outcome of the case.
I still think the verdict should have been manslaughter.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Joanimaroni wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:They should have gotten Dr G (Dr. Jan Garavaglia) to do the autopsy.
I heard her speak several years ago,; she was the guest speaker for FSU medical school graduation. She was great.
I have never seen her in person, but on the TV show she was on, she was really dynamic and handled the next of kin with kid gloves, always with compassion.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum