Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ship Salvaging

+2
cool1
no stress
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Ship Salvaging Empty Ship Salvaging 9/14/2013, 10:20 am

After rescuing a burning ship from pirate-infested waters off Yemen and a sinking oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico, South African salvage master Nick Sloane faces his biggest test off an idyllic Mediterranean island.

The 52-year-old says the attempt to raise the Costa Concordia cruise ship from its watery grave, due to begin on Monday, is his "most challenging" yet in a career that has taken him to six continents and two warzones.

The Zambia-born Sloane was flown to the Italian island of Giglio last year from New Zealand, where he was working on a spill from the MV Rena oil tanker, for the biggest ever salvage operation of a passenger ship.

He has led an international operation with 500 salvage workers including divers, welders and engineers operating 24 hours a day around the rusting 290-metre (951-foot) hulk, which is bigger than the Titanic.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/09/14/globe-trotting-south-african-behind-italy-ship-salvage/#ixzz2esPHKQLY

Id like to watch this. This is kind of cool to get these huge crashed ships back upwards and floating.

Here is a 60 minutes story about this ship.

2Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/14/2013, 6:18 pm

Thanks Good post

3Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/14/2013, 8:12 pm

no stress

no stress

I'd love to be there to watch this

4Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/14/2013, 8:17 pm

cool1

cool1

wow

5Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/14/2013, 8:21 pm

no stress

no stress

Happy Birthday again cool

6Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/14/2013, 8:45 pm

cool1

cool1

Thank you Guns

7Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/14/2013, 10:19 pm

Oh yeah. I am definitely going to be following this story to watch them push it over onto its side then out. I am amazed with this effort.

oh yeah and Happy Birthday Cool1 Smile You look fabulous dear!

8Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/15/2013, 4:56 am

Markle

Markle

I read another article about it saying, weather willing, they are starting to right the ship this Monday the 17th at dawn. They won't have permission from the environmentalists until Sunday afternoon.

The ship is slowly crushing itself lying on its side.

9Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/15/2013, 7:25 am

Jake92

Happy birthday Cool!!!!!!!!!!

10Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/15/2013, 7:29 am

http://news.sky.com/story/1141872/costa-concordia-countdown-to-ships-salvage

11Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/15/2013, 8:45 am

cool1

cool1

Thank you all for the Birthday wishes--I was so tired I was out most the day-woke up later this morning Very Happy 

12Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/15/2013, 10:03 am

Markle wrote:I read another article about it saying, weather willing, they are starting to right the ship this Monday the 17th at dawn.  They won't have permission from the environmentalists until Sunday afternoon.

I wouldn't imagine they would show it live. I hope they do. im actually excited to watch this.

The fact they are using more steel than is in the ifel tower is amazing as well. The whole project is just huge.

and cool1, you deserve your very own bday thread. Smile 

13Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/15/2013, 7:30 pm

Markle

Markle

Chrissy wrote:
Markle wrote:I read another article about it saying, weather willing, they are starting to right the ship this Monday the 17th at dawn.  They won't have permission from the environmentalists until Sunday afternoon.

I wouldn't imagine they would show it live. I hope they do. im actually excited to watch this.

The fact they are using more steel than is in the ifel tower is amazing as well. The whole project is just huge.

and cool1, you deserve your very own bday thread. Smile 
If everything goes well (slim chance or that) they expect to have it upright by the end of the day.

My guess is that it will be hours of cables tightening, then a pause to check the cables, then cables tightening during which time it will look like nothing is happening.  When the ship moves a smidge, everything will stop while they check all the cables, foundation ironwork it rests on and then tighten the cables a bit.

I'm sure there will be a documentary.  I'm sure it will be fascinating.  One of my jobs going to college was as a salvage diver.  No, no gold coins or interesting stuff.  Motors men dropped off the back of their boat, cars in canals, stuff like that.

FoxNews just announced a segment coming up on the raising of the ship.

Last edited by Markle on 9/16/2013, 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

14Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/15/2013, 9:13 pm

Maybe....................http://costaconcordiawebcams.com/

15Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/16/2013, 12:54 am

16Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/16/2013, 8:48 am

LIVE CAM!!!!http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/10311659/Costa-Concordia-salvage-operation-live.html  Working very good . dont know if it will last but...

17Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/16/2013, 8:49 am

Guys thanks for the information. I will certainly what a documentary on this and try that cam out when I get home.

what an exciting project to work on. I hope it works.

they are basically making a huge pontoon boat out of it and going to float it away once they sit it up on that platform.

todays the day right?

18Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/16/2013, 9:01 am

Check the cam. They have moved it quite a bit. Way cool Thanks for the thread

19Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/16/2013, 10:08 am

Latest
14.55 Since the weather delay this morning things appear to have progressed smoothly.
Officials are now quietly optimistic that the salvage is going to work, as the rust-stained, algae-covered hull of the ship is lifted out of the water inch by inch.
Roger Frizzell, chief communications officer for Carnival Corp, the American parent company of Genoa-based Costa Cruises, which operated the Concordia, said:
Quote We are really pleased with the progress.
After the delay caused by the bad weather it is nice to get back on schedule. Everything is going according to plan. The engineers are being very careful and they are doing a lot of checks. But they can continue into the night - as long as it takes.
Nothing on this scale has been attempted before. It's unprecedented. But we have here the strongest team of experts that you could assemble. They are the best in the business.
14.30 Despite the tragedy, it would seem some locals have come to appreciate the crews who have spent more than a year working on the wreckage.
Giovanni Andolfi, a 63-year-old resident who spent his career at sea working on tankers and cruise ships and watched the operation from port, told AP the crews were "the best brains in the field", but admitted he was eager to see them finish.
"I would like Giglio to return to what it was before, a beautiful place of uncontaminated nature," he said.
Gigliese, as locals call themselves, raced to the aid of the survivors who staggered shivering from the sea that wintry night, bringing them blankets, warm clothing and invitations into their homes.

20Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/16/2013, 12:19 pm

Woot!!! Woot! So far so good. Hope cables dont crush the hull but all looks good. It might swing upright in a couple of hours...

21Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/16/2013, 8:15 pm

Mr Ichi wrote:Woot!!! Woot!  So far so good.  Hope cables dont crush the hull but all looks good.  It might swing upright in a couple of hours...
did you see it?

it was driving me crazy all day today at work.

The cam looked live last night now it looks different.

22Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/16/2013, 8:29 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/10311659/Costa-Concordia-salvage-operation-live.html

This the good link  I have been watching all day. Come help me  I can not get the thing upright by my self.  LOL

If that link dosent work  go here and click on the first link. http://www.costaconcordiawebcams.com/watch/livestream.htm

23Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/16/2013, 8:35 pm

Mr Ichi wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/10311659/Costa-Concordia-salvage-operation-live.html

This the good link  I have been watching all day. Come help me  I can not get the thing upright by my self.  LOL

If that link dosent work  go here and click on the first link.  http://www.costaconcordiawebcams.com/watch/livestream.htm
Oh goodness Mr ichi.... Haa ha! Razz  I'm on my way...........

24Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/16/2013, 8:38 pm

ah dammit! they removed the live cam......

25Ship Salvaging Empty Re: Ship Salvaging 9/16/2013, 8:56 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/09/16/costa-concordia-video-livestream_n_3933108.html

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum