Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

For Z: They've come up with a new way to fuel gay vehicles which would give them virtually unlimited range

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

http://phys.org/news/2013-08-wireless-online-electric-vehicle-olev.html

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

WOW!!!! Thanks, Bob. I will definitely be sending this article to Jeff Siegle at Energy and Capital. I follow their scoops on energy closely, and they missed this one.

The future is here with Wireless Online Electric Vehicles (OLEVs)! Couple this technology with solar generation of the electricity used to run the vehicles (generation means embedded in the roadway), and you can do away with any need for gasoline or diesel for transportation.

The price of oil will continue to climb in the years ahead, even though the U.S. now has an estimated 58 billion barrels of recoverable crude in its tight-shale formations. That oil is technically challenging to extract, hence the high price. At some point, the cost of gasoline or diesel will make OLEV technology more competitive, and the transition will be made.

I have also been reading that by the 2030s, vehicles will largely be driverless. I hope I live to see driverless OLEVs plying our roadways, powered by renewable electricity from the sun. What a future we have, man!

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sal

Sal

OLEV receives power wirelessly through the application of the "Shaped Magnetic Field in Resonance (SMFIR)" technology. SMFIR is a new technology introduced by KAIST that enables electric vehicles to transfer electricity wirelessly from the road surface while moving. Power comes from the electrical cables buried under the surface of the road, creating magnetic fields.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I heard of a farmer that stole electricity off a high tension line that ran near his barn. He set up a coil in the loft which collected the energy by magnetic induction and then used a transformer to bring it down to normal voltages. He ran his entire dairy off it for free for years before getting busted by the power company looking for where they were losing power on the lines. Pretty ingenious for a farmer...Also very simple in theory.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Nikola Tesla would love living in our modern age. Imagine what he could invent having access to today's knowledge.....

I find stuff like this to be very exciting. Inventions like this will be yet another step toward tomorrow.

Modern man must eventually transition away from petroleum. I am not going to beat a dead horse on climate change--we already know the varied opinions of many forum members on that topic. But the black stuff is a finite resource that countries make war over. The sun is infinite and powerful. The next generation of solar technologies will make solar competetitive with fossil fuels--solar is nearly competetive using today's technology. The Germans are actually leading the way on this front. So, electricity from solar could easily power OLEVs.

The next thing someone needs to invent are the dilithium crystals which will enable deep space exploration.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I can see the future potential of adding OLEV lanes to the existing Interstate highway system for this to move 18 wheelers.   Tractor Trailers are really well suited to the 0+ rpm full torque of electric motor propulsion.  And this could be the future solution to all the fueling problems with it.
If you can just get the 18-wheelers on electric then you go a helluva long way towards energy independence.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Think about it. An electric 18-wheeler that can climb steep grades as well as a passenger car.
I saw and rode on electric buses in San Francisco earlier this year. They go up and down those hills pretty as you please.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

This is terrific. Imagine how advanced our non-petroleum transportation system could have been by now if it weren't for the oil companies buying off inventions like this in their cribs? At least the Koreans are on it. It can't be stopped!

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

othershoe1030 wrote:This is terrific. Imagine how advanced our non-petroleum transportation system could have been by now if it weren't for the oil companies buying off inventions like this in their cribs? At least the Koreans are on it. It can't be stopped!
Well according to Algonquin J Calhoun or Calhoun Keys or whatever his name was, those same oil company executives are heroes. He even chose BP Exec as his username and then shortened it to just BP.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I don't buy into the argument that oil companies work to undercut schemes like OLEVs. There will always be a market for their product, as oil  has so many uses besides using it for fuel. One petroelum geologist and Princeton emeritus wrote several books on peak oil after he retired from academia, and he wrote in one of these that someday we will wonder why we ever wasted the stuff by burning it for fuel.

Only one thing will move mankind away from using liquid fuels derived from petroleum, and it is money. When the price per barrel reaches a certain limit, it will be cheaper to use alternatives like OLEVs.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum