Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I Remember

+5
TEOTWAWKI
2seaoat
stormwatch89
Joanimaroni
Nekochan
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1I Remember Empty I Remember 9/11/2013, 7:57 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

I Remember 91110

2I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 8:13 am

Yes, but the majority of this forum believes in space aliens and conspiracy theories.

3I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 8:26 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I remember......Every year.....I really hate this day. 

One of my daughters and husband flew to Jackson Hole this am. For weeks I have been dreading there day of departure....I always fear another attack on the anniversary.

4I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 8:45 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

LOL, PD. It sure seems that way sometimes.

Joani, I hope for a safe trip for your daughter and her husband. I understand why it makes you nervous. I flew a quite a lot in the years after 911. There was always an uneasiness about it. 911 was always in the back of my mind when I was at the airport. Heck, with the searches and taking your shoes off, etc...you can't forget about 911, even if you wanted to. Especially in the several years after 911, when we went to any place where there was a large number of people, I thought about it. But it never stopped me from doing anything, except for returning to visit Bali, Indonesia, because my husband said it was too dangerous.

I worry that if we let our caution down, the terrorists will see the weakness. Boston was a reminder, although in an open space like that I don't think there was any way for authorities to have prevented it. It makes me angry that the terrorists forever put a "worry" over our heads when we (or our loved ones) fly somewhere or do a lot of things that we shouldn't have to worry about being killed by terrorists while doing.

5I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 8:46 am

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Joanimaroni wrote:I remember......Every year.....I really hate this day. 

One of my daughters and husband flew to Jackson Hole this am. For weeks I have been dreading there day of departure....I always fear another attack on the anniversary.
I feel your fear, Joani, you're a Mom, but I'm sure Jackson Hole isn't on the hot list. Relax and may they arrive home safely.

We all remember but, I'm thankful it's now a memory rather than a current event.

6I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 9:01 am

2seaoat

It will be a current event. We may remain vigilant, but evil will repeat. We will be terrorized again, and American citizens will die.

7I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 9:06 am

I remember... but I'm also extremely upset by the measures taken and put in place that violate our bill of rights.

8I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 9:13 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I remember an incredibly BIG lie.

9I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 9:14 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

I understand, Pkr. In one sense, I'm happy to see the measures taken at airports to try to prevent attacks. But then I get angry that we have to go through all that crap because of terrorists. But believe me, I understand your concerns. When you accept one little intrusion into your privacy...it has a tendency to snowball into something you aren't nearly as comfortable with.

10I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 9:19 am

Nekochan wrote:I understand, Pkr. In one sense, I'm happy to see the measures taken at airports to try to prevent attacks. But then I get angry that we have to go through all that crap because of terrorists. But believe me, I understand your concerns. When you accept one little intrusion into your privacy...it has a tendency to snowball into something you aren't nearly as comfortable with.
It would've been different if an airline wanted to offer some sort of security service that included draconian searches.

That may have lasted a year or two at best until smarter ways were offered and competition drove the solutions.

11I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 9:46 am

Sal

Sal

I remember my wife calling me at my office in Louisville, KY and telling me a plane had hit one of the twin towers.

I thought it had to have been a single engine prop plane.

I tuned into the radio reports that indicated it was a jet liner, and not long after, the second tower was hit.

The news reports were sketchy and surreal with reports of car bombs and smoke coming from the White House, and then the Pentagon was hit.

When the first tower collapsed, I was in shock and couldn't believe it was possible.

Completely numb, I closed the office, sent everyone home, and went directly to pick my boy up from daycare.

There were lines of cars circling the gas stations due to rumors that there would be a shortage.

I stopped on the way home for a bottle of scotch.

I put my boy down for a nap and went outside.

There wasn't a plane in the sky.

I talked to my mother on the phone, wondering in what kind of world my son would grow up, and thinking life would never be the same.

I'll never forget that day.

12I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 9:55 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

Thank you for that, Sal. We don't often see that side of you.

I think for all of us that had younger kids during the 911 attacks, that's what we thought about...what kind of world our kids would live in. And for those with grand kids, they must have thought the same about their grand kids. But I guess for the young people today who are too young to really remember it, life as we know it now is "normal" to them? Maybe it's harder for us older folks who remember. I can remember my mother talking about WW2....I really couldn't understand how it was during that time.

13I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 9:59 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:I remember my wife calling me at my office in Louisville, KY and telling me a plane had hit one of the twin towers.

I thought it had to have been a single engine prop plane.

I tuned into the radio reports that indicated it was a jet liner, and not long after, the second tower was hit.

The news reports were sketchy and surreal with reports of car bombs and smoke coming from the White House, and then the Pentagon was hit.

When the first tower collapsed, I was in shock and couldn't believe it was possible.

Completely numb, I closed the office, sent everyone home, and went directly to pick my boy up from daycare.

There were lines of cars circling the gas stations due to rumors that there would be a shortage.

I stopped on the way home for a bottle of scotch.

I put my boy down for a nap and went outside.

There wasn't a plane in the sky.

I talked to my mother on the phone, wondering in what kind of world my son would grow up, and thinking life would never be the same.

I'll never forget that day.
We were all victimized that day. Thank you for sharing that.

14I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 10:02 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

But the big difference with WW2 --it ended.

15I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 10:02 am

cool1

cool1

Sad  no one could forget that day ever !

16I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 10:59 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

“Observance of customs and laws can very easily be a cloak for a lie so subtle that our fellow human beings are unable to detect it. It may help us to escape all criticism, we may even be able to deceive ourselves in the belief of our obvious righteousness. But deep down, below the surface of the average man’s conscience, he hears a voice whispering, ‘There is something not right,’ no matter how much his rightness is supported by public opinion or by the moral code.” – Carl Jung

17I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 11:31 am

Jake92

I was at work, Joyce was home, and her son in the AF was at Tindal AFB for an exercise..  He called Joyce around 10:00 to tell her he was flying back to Phoenix in an AF plane..  At 2:45, he called her again to tell her that he was in the air heading for someplace he couldn't talk about and not to worry.  6 months later, he got back from Oman where he was teaching them explosive ordinance disposal..  It was 6 months of hell for us, not knowing anything about where he was..

Last edited by Jake92 on 9/11/2013, 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited for typos.. duh)

18I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 11:51 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

Wow, Jake. It was a scary time.

19I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 12:03 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

My brother retired from the military several days prior to 9/11.....US Central Command @ MacDill AFB. Shortly after the attacks he was reactivated by JSO task force.

20I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 12:07 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I also was at work that morning. My wife called me much the same way as Sal's did. She called me again when the second plane hit, and I knew something was not right. We didn't close our office that day, but my company had several employees on the road, who had to find means to get home after air travel was shut down.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

21I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 12:10 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PkrBum wrote:I remember... but I'm also extremely upset by the measures taken and put in place that violate our bill of rights.

I stand with you on how that day impacted on our constitutional rights.

It reminds me of what Ben Franklin said: "Those who seek security over freedom deserve neither and will lose both."

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

22I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 12:45 pm

They need to stop profiling little blonde haired kids in tea line and start profiling those who look the part.

23I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 10:57 pm

I can't imagine what life is like for people who live w/ that everyday.

24I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/11/2013, 11:27 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PACEDOG#1 wrote:They need to stop profiling little blonde haired kids in tea line and start profiling those who look the part.
Amen.....I have had some interesting discussion (especially AZ) TSA could learn something from Israel. Once you book a seat Israel begins there profile.....Profiling is essential for targeting terrorist.....not searching a long time airline employee's prosthetic boob.

25I Remember Empty Re: I Remember 9/12/2013, 8:02 am

Perhaps we could just look at results? Exactly how many terrorists has the tsa caught before boarding an airplane?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum