Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sugar-The bitter truth-A lecture that takes some concentration to follow. But it could change your life

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

Folks are simply carrying too much weight and the sugar content of our foods and the type of sugar are contributing to our demise.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Anybody here follow the paleo diet? My husband and I have committed to give it a try for three months.

Oh, how I will miss my bread, pasta and cereal.....but if it helps us both get healthier, I'm all for it.

That is why we're planning to try this....to get healthier. The potential weight loss is secondary.

Here are some benefits:

http://thepaleodiet.com/getting-started-with-the-paleo-diet/

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I posted this lecture twice here in recent months. I am glad someone else watched it, Ichi.

I do freelance writing for fun and I make a small amount of scratch from it (at www.Fiverr.com). I have a client in Amsterdam who orders many of my reports, and all of his topics are health-related. When he asked me to write on sugar, I was blown-away at the information I found, including Dr. Robert Lustig's lecture.

It has been a hard road giving up candy and chocolate (my favorite flavor of all), and two attempts, but I am now going on 8 weeks again without eating any candy. Halloween and Christmas are going to be hard for me, for sure. I love Halloween candy and Christmas candy.....

What I am hoping is that when I go in for my annual bloodwork at the JACC, I will see some improvements.

Fructose is poison, as Dr. Lustig states in his lecture.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ImpishScoundrel

ImpishScoundrel

PBulldog2 wrote:Anybody here follow the paleo diet? My husband and I have committed to give it a try for three months.

Oh, how I will miss my bread, pasta and cereal.....but if it helps us both get healthier, I'm all for it.

That is why we're planning to try this....to get healthier. The potential weight loss is secondary.

Here are some benefits:

Here's the thing about diets...  They are just diets.  Meant for short term usage.  Not very good for lifetime changes.

About a year and a half ago I finally got fed up with being fat, fighting high blood pressure, fighting high cholesterol, and the kicker, I was becoming pre-diabetic.  So, some changes were in order.  I wanted something I could live with for the rest of my life, and diets just didn't fit the bill.
After a lot of research, it turns out that just cleaning up your normal diet, paying attention to your macros, and yes, watching your calories, makes a huge difference.  I gave up all processed foods, anything from a box, can, or fast food joint.  Started fixing my own meals, avoiding little things like processed sugar, white flour, and sodium.  And adding in as many fresh fruits and vegetables as I could.  
Too my surprise, I found I could eat more, quantity wise, and I like to eat, while actually eating at a slightly reduced calorie intake.  12 months later I had lost 106 pounds.  No longer had to take blood pressure or cholesterol meds, and my glucose levels had dropped back to normal.  Also found I had a lot more energy so I started weight training 3 times a week.  I feel better now, in my late forties than I did in my mid twenties.  On top of that, since starting the weight training, I've gained 5 pounds of solid muscle.  I'm stronger than I've ever been.  All this without "dieting".  Just cleaning up my normal diet with healthier foods and paying attention to my calories and macros (macro nutrients:  carbs, sugar, fat, protein...).  A totally sustainable lifestyle change I can live with.
The Impette likes to tease me a lot cause I'm always tracking my calories and measuring my meal portions, but she's also still trying to find that miracle diet.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I have now written two reports on Sugar for one of my Fiverr clients, and done extensive research on it for a different Fiverr client. Here are some facts:

Table sugar (sucrose) is a disaccharide, containing a glucose molecule bonded to a fructose molecule. Glucose is flavorless, the sweet taste comes solely from the fructose.

When you eat a peach or other piece of sweet fruit, the fructose therein provides the sweetness you experience.

Sugarcane originated in New Guinea, and slowly made its way to India, from where it was introduced eventually to Europe.

Before the 1500s, the Western diet included almost no sweeteners (except for honey, which was rare to find). Therefore, fructose was only a small component of the average diet.

The discovery of the New World provided a place where sugar plantations could thrive--fostered by labor provided by African slaves. In the 19th century, it was found they could also get sugar from beets.

As sugar became more plentiful, it became cheaper, and was therefore available to the lower classes. It also started making its way into all sorts of foodstuffs in the Western diet.

In 1700, the average Briton consumed just 2 lbs. of sugar annually. By 1950, this jumped to 150 lbs. The advent of the candy/confectionery and soft-drink industries after 1900 helped facilitate the great increase in sugar consumption.

The introduction of high-fructose corn syrup in the 1970s as a cheaper substitute for sugar, served to greatly increase sweetener consumption overall from already previous high levels. HFCS is preferred by beverage and manufactured food makers, as it is cheaper and easier to work with.

HFCS is chemically-altered corn syrup. Corn syrup is simply glucose in solution, and this is altered to turn a portion of the glucose into fructose. Therefore HFCS is a solution of separate glucose and fructose moelecules. Caustic soda is used in this conversion process, and some HFCS manufacturers have been using mercury-grade caustic soda in their processes, which leaves residual mercury in the HFCS.

Consuming large quantities of concentrated fructose in refined sugar and HFCS is the prime culprit behind the obesity epidemic, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, metabolic sydrome, and many other diseases prevalent in societies which adapt the Western diet.

Last edited by ZVUGKTUBM on 9/10/2013, 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

ImpishScoundrel wrote:
PBulldog2 wrote:Anybody here follow the paleo diet? My husband and I have committed to give it a try for three months.

Here are some benefits:

Here's the thing about diets...  They are just diets.  Meant for short term usage.  Not very good for lifetime changes.

About a year and a half ago I finally got fed up with being fat, fighting high blood pressure, fighting high cholesterol, and the kicker, I was becoming pre-diabetic.  So, some changes were in order.  I wanted something I could live with for the rest of my life, and diets just didn't fit the bill.
After a lot of research, it turns out that just cleaning up your normal diet, paying attention to your macros, and yes, watching your calories, makes a huge difference.  I gave up all processed foods, anything from a box, can, or fast food joint.  Started fixing my own meals, avoiding little things like processed sugar, white flour, and sodium.  And adding in as many fresh fruits and vegetables as I could.  
Too my surprise, I found I could eat more, quantity wise, and I like to eat, while actually eating at a slightly reduced calorie intake.  12 months later I had lost 106 pounds.  No longer had to take blood pressure or cholesterol meds, and my glucose levels had dropped back to normal.  Also found I had a lot more energy so I started weight training 3 times a week.  I feel better now, in my late forties than I did in my mid twenties.  On top of that, since starting the weight training, I've gained 5 pounds of solid muscle.  I'm stronger than I've ever been.  All this without "dieting".  Just cleaning up my normal diet with healthier foods and paying attention to my calories and macros (macro nutrients:  carbs, sugar, fat, protein...).  A totally sustainable lifestyle change I can live with.
The Impette likes to tease me a lot cause I'm always tracking my calories and measuring my meal portions, but she's also still trying to find that miracle diet.
Good for you, Imp. Right now, I am just working on the sugar part, which is hard enough. I have always eaten lots of fruit, and am eating more of it now to fill my cravings for sweetness. Raisins seem to be my new candy.

The fructose in fruit is not harmful to you. You actually need the minerals, fiber, and macronutrients in fruit. It is the highly-concentrated fructose in refined sugar and HFCS which is bad for you.

ImpishScoundrel

ImpishScoundrel

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
ImpishScoundrel wrote:

Here are some benefits:

Good for you, Imp. Right now, I am just working on the sugar part, which is hard enough. I have always eaten lots of fruit, and am eating more of it now to fill my cravings for sweetness. Raisins seem to be my new candy.

The fructose in fruit is not harmful to you. You actually need the minerals, fiber, and macronutrients in fruit. It is the highly-concentrated fructose in refined sugar and HFCS which is bad for you.
Yep, that's what I found out. The only sugars I consume now come from fruit and honey. Also avoiding, or a least reducing significantly, white processed flour products and white rice. Those carbs turn to blood sugar about as fast as processed sugar does.

My real eye opener was when I started recording what I ate during a normal day. What I saw made it real easy to commit to a dietary change.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

ImpishScoundrel wrote:

Here are some benefits:

Sounds like you just described the paleo lifestyle. It IS a lifestyle change, not just a diet. We figure if we can last for three months, we can handle it for a lifetime and even learn to enjoy it as you have.

Your words are so encouraging! Thank you! :-)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum