Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fifty years ago the March on Washington

+2
Floridatexan
2seaoat
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

1963 folks were marching on Washington for equal rights, and four little girls in Birmingham at church get blown to bits.......yet on this forum racism is gone......that magically those same folks who fought equal rights were enlightened by angels to suddenly bring an end to fear and racism......yep folks just wake up one day........shazaaaaaam........racism is gone. Next on the fantasy is Boards having Tim Tebow winning the Super Bowl for New England.......

2seaoat

just what I thought.....three hours and crickets.

Fifty years ago the March on Washington Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-15iiPL-xErIREplAedqcWqkZA8m-AWYnXNkLdwfw8HPjAKyj

2seaoat

Not a very important time in your world Mr H........big deal in my world. I was in a Baptist Church in North Birmingham when I was being told that outside agitators were responsible for killing those little girls.....they were my age.......a child can figure things out.

I was also being told that outside agitators were responsible for killing a lot of people in some damn place a long ways from here and I needed to go help them out.  I was not a child so I did not figure out that it was a sham.  But I was not alone.  58,479 others did not figure it out until it too late and paid the ultimate price.

2seaoat

Great.....two days and not one word about the subject, but clever diversions or denial that the march was ever necessary, that talking about the same is a dead horse. Proof is so easy sometimes, and poker tells do tell you a great deal.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Fifty years ago the March on Washington 00123016_

2seaoat wrote:Great.....two days and not one word about the subject, but clever diversions or denial that the march was ever necessary, that talking about the same is a dead horse.    Proof is so easy sometimes, and poker tells do tell you a great deal.

I guess you are correct as usual Mr Oats.  In 1963 the March on Washington was not really paramount in my thinking.  But In December of 1963 I took a advanced course in Race Relationship.  The course was of a 4 year duration. I was able to eat, work, bath, fight and live in very close quarters with others of different races and nationalises.  Some times I had to trust my very life to those who were of a different color than I.  They did not fail me, nor did I fail them.  
The Black men that I know proved their worth by their actions.  It was hard for some of them to have to deal with the "White Devils".  
Progress was made by all of us, not by marching and shouting, but by living the  beliefs that all men are created equal.  
There was a time and place  in my life that people did not see color.  Granted it was very localized in a area outside of the United States, but for some of us, it did exist for a short time.  When we returned to America,  many of us were shocked at the direction Race Relations had taken.

Unlike you, I dont know all the answers, nor do I harbour any guilt.  But you may rest assured I know the players in the game.  So again you are correct, the March on Washington had little effect on how I view the world..

2seaoat

So again you are correct, the March on Washington had little effect on how I view the world..

At least you are consistent.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

They have time to march but no time to raise their children or get a job.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2013/08/24/214959748/did-the-march-on-washington-improve-blacks-economic-outlook

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Meet the Press this morning on NBC largely focused on the March and its effects on the country. David Brooks and Doris Kearns Goodman were part of the panel. If anyone has the opportunity to see it on a recording I would highly recommend taking a look.

Progress has been made but as the article posted by PkrBum mentions, racism mutates and different forms need to be addressed with different solutions.

Obviously, from some comments posted in this thread, racism is certainly not dead.

Obviously, from some comments posted in this thread, racism is certainly not dead

Of course not cause Blacks refuse to let racism die. Growing up in the South, My best friend was a Black person. Nobody cared except my Grandma use to chide me for eating at his house. He lived way across town in a strictly Black neighborhood. I'd bike over to his house often. Nobody said anything.

If I biked into that neighborhood today, Whites & Blacks would frown & say something racist to me. My how things have changed since the 70/80's.

Fifty years ago the March on Washington Th?id=H.4771280310764941&pid=1

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOX5wIeKEcw

Smile 

2seaoat

My how things have changed since the 70/80's.

They have not changed....your grandmother is still chiding you, and you are still riding your bike.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Another thing has changed. James Brown's road manager (Al Sharpton) is no Martin Luther King. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

from Sharpton's wiki page...

Fifty years ago the March on Washington Sharpt10

I'm not sure a man who beats all his wives and girlfriends to a bloody pulp is a good "father figure", but that quote sure explains a lot about Sharpton. lol

2seaoat

Mr. Sharpton was not real quick in accepting equal rights for all citizens......he was a hold out on gay rights, and I think if you had a drink with him, he still feels the same way.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Mr. Sharpton was not real quick in accepting equal rights for all citizens......he was a hold out on gay rights, and I think if you had a drink with him, he still feels the same way.
If I had a drink with him it would be to try to get him drunk and talk him out of some of that James Brown personal memorabilia he's undoubtedly sitting on so I could list it on ebay.  I've decided to go to MD Anderson for staging and that would help pay the tab. lol

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
Martin Luther King, Jr.

2seaoat

It gets real dark around here sometimes......I am glad to see a little sunshine.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Law and order exist for the purpose of establishing justice and when they fail in this purpose they become the dangerously structured dams that block the flow of social progress.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Joanimaroni wrote:Law and order exist for the purpose of establishing justice and when they fail in this purpose they become the dangerously structured dams that block the flow of social progress.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Nice quote, hadn't heard that one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum