Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Does anyone here know what is the typical price of a "sentinel lymph node biopsy"?

+4
ZVUGKTUBM
2seaoat
PBulldog2
Hospital Bob
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Floridatexan wrote:
 I want to know whether you're happy with your primary care physician.    

I haven't had one of those for two years. The last one charged me $250 for an office visit and I didn't see me getting anything worth that price. All he did was talk to me for about five minutes and refill my prescriptions.
Since that time I've used Pro Clinic on N 12th Ave where I see a PA who refills my prescriptions.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

. wrote:
Bob wrote:
. wrote:

Ive watched your little tirade on here about this and really it seems like your are having a panic attack over it and are pushing your doctor into getting a node biopsy

I told him "listen up,  pal, either you do this node biopsy or I'm gonna rough you up".

Haha you............................good for you. Nothing wrong with paying for a little piece of mind if you can afford it.

btw I would be careful btw to do one of those out of the country things like some are talking about. you seem very protective of your health so I cant see why you would risk it by going to a 3rd world nation somewhere to save a few dollars. contraire to what they say, this country does have the best health care.

oh perhaps mr seaoat who spends 22 thousand dollars a MONTH for 2 shots and complains its cheaper in Canada. might ask him with all his money is he still seeing American physicians.Smile 

Chrissy - Canada is not a third world country. Razz 

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

However, I do find it rather bizarre that, with all the amazing quantity of wealth and information google has provided us, that nowhere on the whole entire World Wide Web is there a list giving the typical range of prices for this and other medical procedures.

I can determine the cost of most everything else known to humankind with a few keystrokes. But not that one.
And you know what they say, and many years of experience confirms that they're damn right when they say it, when something is for sale and it hides it's price from us, that can only mean one thing.
It's overpriced. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PBulldog2 wrote:

roflmao

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14605613

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

doubtingthomas wrote:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14605613

Thanks,  TG.  But I put that link in my first post.
The problem with that one is that it's telling us what the charges were for the patients in the study.  And the study was conducted between 1994 and 2002.   And taking into account how much the cost of health care has risen since then I don't know if that's now low or not.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/22/business/la-fi-healthcare-watch-20130324

PBulldog2 wrote:
. wrote:
Bob wrote:
. wrote:

Ive watched your little tirade on here about this and really it seems like your are having a panic attack over it and are pushing your doctor into getting a node biopsy

I told him "listen up,  pal, either you do this node biopsy or I'm gonna rough you up".

Haha you............................good for you. Nothing wrong with paying for a little piece of mind if you can afford it.

btw I would be careful btw to do one of those out of the country things like some are talking about. you seem very protective of your health so I cant see why you would risk it by going to a 3rd world nation somewhere to save a few dollars. contraire to what they say, this country does have the best health care.

oh perhaps mr seaoat who spends 22 thousand dollars a MONTH for 2 shots and complains its cheaper in Canada. might ask him with all his money is he still seeing American physicians.Smile 

ive dealt with the candian health care system. not sure if you have. ive not only dealt with them, but my son in law is Canadian and his whole family is from there , not only that, his mother is a nurse here in naples. I think she knows alittle about Canadian healthcare and just saying, she feels pretty much like I do about it. it aint all that.

boards of FL

boards of FL

bounce 

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

. wrote:
PBulldog2 wrote:
. wrote:
Bob wrote:
. wrote:

ive dealt with the candian health care system. not sure if you have. ive not only dealt with them, but my son in law is Canadian and his whole family is from there , not only that, his mother is a nurse here in naples. I think she knows alittle about Canadian healthcare and just saying, she feels pretty much like I do about it. it aint all that.

I've had lots of friends and co-workers over the years who are from Canada. You're right in saying the health care is not "all that" - no health care system is. However, they do like the fact that they can access health care when they need it, even though they may have to wait for some procedures. The cost involved at point of service is sooo much lower, but you do have to factor in the general tax. Even with that, the cost doesn't come close to what we pay here, particularly with regard to medications. Also, they don't have lawyers falling over one another trying to find the next doctor or hospital to sue.

We here in the US have an opportunity to develop an entirely new type of system. We can have a single payer program that covers all, and Medigap-type policies of different grades (bronze, silver, platinum, all that rot) available for those who can afford them.

Chrissy, I don't like the personal mandate any better than you do. I also cringe at the thought of government running health care. But I just don't see any other option that will reasonably and fairly provide comprehensive, consistent care to all of the citizens in our country. We all talk about how Medicaid is available to those with a low income and the poor, but those of us who have worked in the system know how hard it is for someone with Medicaid to even get an appointment with a physician.

Speaking of the government running things: if the government runs health care like the VA runs their disability program, we are doomed. That frightens me. I support single payer, but it has to be streamlined, efficient, and mindful of waste and abuse. Can the government do this? I don't know. I wish the politicians would divorce health care from politics and just work together to get this done. But if wishes were horses.....

I'm worried.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PBulldog2 wrote:
. wrote:
PBulldog2 wrote:
. wrote:
Bob wrote:
. wrote:

I've had lots of friends and co-workers over the years who are from Canada. You're right in saying the health care is not "all that" - no health care system is. However, they do like the fact that they can access health care when they need it, even though they may have to wait for some procedures. The cost involved at point of service is sooo much lower, but you do have to factor in the general tax. Even with that, the cost doesn't come close to what we pay here, particularly with regard to medications. Also, they don't have lawyers falling over one another trying to find the next doctor or hospital to sue.

We here in the US have an opportunity to develop an entirely new type of system. We can have a single payer program that covers all, and Medigap-type policies of different grades (bronze, silver, platinum, all that rot) available for those who can afford them.

Chrissy, I don't like the personal mandate any better than you do. I also cringe at the thought of government running health care. But I just don't see any other option that will reasonably and fairly provide comprehensive, consistent care to all of the citizens in our country. Hopefully

We all talk about how Medicaid is available to those with a low income and the poor, but those of us who have worked in the system know how hard it is for someone with Medicaid to even get an appointment with a physician. Because the government reimbursement is extremely low and very very slow to pay. In the mean time their office is over-flowing with Medicaid patients. It's hard for physicians to survive without paying patients.

Speaking of the government running things: if the government runs health care like the VA runs their disability program, we are doomed. That frightens me. I support single payer, but it has to be streamlined, efficient, and mindful of waste and abuse. Can the government do this? I don't know. I wish the politicians would divorce health care from politics and just work together to get this done. But if wishes were horses.....

I'm worried.

Joanimaroni wrote:
PBulldog2 wrote:
. wrote:
PBulldog2 wrote:
. wrote:
Bob wrote:
. wrote:

Chrissy, I don't like the personal mandate any better than you do. I also cringe at the thought of government running health care. But I just don't see any other option that will reasonably and fairly provide comprehensive, consistent care to all of the citizens in our country. Hopefully

We all talk about how Medicaid is available to those with a low income and the poor, but those of us who have worked in the system know how hard it is for someone with Medicaid to even get an appointment with a physician. Because the government reimbursement is extremely low and very very slow to pay. In the mean time their office is over-flowing with Medicaid patients. It's hard for physicians to survive without paying patients.

I'm worried.

Im only going to make one short comment to this PB and Joanie. because all three of us are sincere loving and caring healthcare professionals.

All of us WANT to provide care for those we see and have seen come to us in a time of need. It is heart wrenching to have to bare witness to that. It is part of being compassionate and what apparently drove us to serve in such a hard self sacrificing field.

But please look at what you just said PB about Medicaid waits. and then what Joanie said about the sorry assed reimbursements.

I realize and have always felt the same as you about wishing IN MY HEART that something perfect could exist. But it doesn't. We cant afford it. And by trying to force it up our asses and out of our budget, all e get is less for all.

So again, we go down the old road of where I say this I would rather provide 80% of people with very good care, then 100% of people with shitty care. And somehow I will always end up wrong in that thought by my masses.

But don't think I don't get it, or you. Because I do.

Take care.

I wish you ladies peace of mind, love and inspiration. Smile 

Hugs

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It's a matter of opinion even among nurses,  chrissy.
My mother's hospice nurse was canadian and she did a career there before coming here (came with her husband's job).  She had been in nursing here for several years when she became Mom's nurse.
She was here a lot at the time and she and me got to shooting the shit.
She told me flatly that she liked the health care system in Canada better than what we have here.

2seaoat

She told me flatly that she liked the health care system in Canada better than what we have here.

Anybody who has had to deal with illness in their family would raise legitimate questions on our health care system. Now if a person who pulls a pay check from this systems thinks its the cat's meow.....maybe they are doing some really good things for people.....nothing wrong with pride and quality care......but when we look at the entire system......this first hand perspective becomes less important.....a drug which is four times more expensive in America is pretty hard to explain with a great story about how somebody was saved by our system...........

2seaoat wrote:She told me flatly that she liked the health care system in Canada better than what we have here.

Anybody who has had to deal with illness in their family would raise legitimate questions on our health care system.   Now if a person who pulls a pay check from this systems thinks its the cat's meow.....maybe they are doing some really good things for people.....nothing wrong with pride and quality care......but when we look at the entire system......this first hand perspective becomes less important.....a drug which is four times more expensive in America is pretty hard to explain with a great story about how somebody was saved by our system...........

that's right seaoat. because we all know that people who work for the healthcare system never ever have family or even themselves who have to seek care from it.

why are you still getting your treatments in America?

2seaoat

why are you still getting your treatments in America?

Because I am living in paradise......I have found a endocrine research center within 200 miles of paradise.....so I spend my time which remains looking today at the American Pelican, an eagle, a heron, a beaver, sadly a dead deer, and the most uniquely beautiful place in my world........now if Mr. Jobs flew to Europe and lived for 6 weeks getting the best treatment the world could offer(this is because in Endocrine cancer the Europeans have made most of the research breakthroughs) I would do the same if I had unlimited resources.....I do not......but I do have very good doctors, good insurance........and paradise at my feet.....not too bad for the time remaining.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

“We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.”
C.S.Lewis

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum