Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Does anyone here know what is the typical price of a "sentinel lymph node biopsy"?

+4
ZVUGKTUBM
2seaoat
PBulldog2
Hospital Bob
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I need to get one and my health insurance policy won't pay for it.
This is all I could find on the internet. It says a sentinel lymph node
biopsy costs between $10,000 and $15,000.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14605613

Does anyone know if that is correct?

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

I would contact some of the local hospitals and ask the cost. I don't think there's any other way to find out. I've checked the 'net, and I can't find any information, either. Chrissy may have a general idea. You could PM her, too.

Any chance you could slip up to Canada to have this done? I'm serious.

Do you know if the doctor who excised the melanoma sent it to a pathology lab to have the margins checked? Here is a website that describes this process fairly well:

http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/adequate-margins

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PBulldog2 wrote:

Do you know if the doctor who excised the melanoma sent it to a pathology lab to have the margins checked? Here is a website that describes this process fairly well:

http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/adequate-margins

Hi, PB. Yes after the dermatologist did the wide local excision (removed the tumor) and sent the tissue for analysis, the pathology report came back saying "margins clear".

But the reason I probably need the SLNB is because of two prognostic factors in the initial biopsy report. One is the Clark level being IV. There is some evidence which indicates that "thin" melanomas (less than 1 mm in thickness and mine was .92 mm) coupled with Clark Level III or IV, has a somewhat greater tendency to drain into the lymph system. The other factor is a higher mitotic rate (cellular growth rate of the melanocytes). Any mitotic rate higher than 1 (and mine is 5) is also a prognosticator of increased risk.

But even still I'm in a gray area. My oncologist is "leaning" towards recommending the SLNB. But before he makes that recommendation he will bounce it off a melanoma review panel compromised of the other oncologists in the Sacred Heart oncology department.

However, there is a family history issue which may also come into play that he doesn't yet know about. My mother had a stage 1 malignant melanoma removed from her nose. That may have led to a recurrence of cancer in her lung. I had completely forgotten about this when I met with the oncologist. I realized it later and I'll tell him about it in the next meeting because doing the research has revealed to me that parental history of melanoma is relevant to prognosis.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Maybe you or someone else can help with something, PB.

I need to get my mother's medical records from the Medical Center and West Florida Hospital.
I need her records from the Medical Center dermatology department involving her melanoma.
And I need her records from two visits to the West Florida ER in which both times she underwent CT scans which revealed a lung tumor (which was never biopsed).
I mainly need to know the time frame between the melanoma removal and when exactly the lung tumor was discovered.

When I go up there on Friday to attempt to get this information what will I need to bring in the way of documents to make this happen? I have her
drivers license and social security number but I can't find a death certificate.

Did you have power of attorney before she passed? That might help but the poa expires when a person does. Did she have a will that you have a copy? A death certificate might help. Or if she named you on all the forms as a contact or someone to release information to, that just might take care of it. My wife could not get info about me a couple of years ago because I had not named her as one to release protected health information to.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

doubtingthomas wrote:Did you have power of attorney before she passed? That might help but the poa expires when a person does. Did she have a will that you have a copy? A death certificate might help. Or if she named you on all the forms as a contact or someone to release information to, that just might take care of it. My wife could not get info about me a couple of years ago because I had not named her as one to release protected health information to.
I had power of attorney but there was no will. I'll try to find the POA document and try again to find the death certificate. I wonder if the funeral home would still have the death certificate on file (after 3 years)?

2seaoat

Bob.
Medical tourism has become a reality because of the failures in the American medical system. Costa Rica is a top 40 nation in medical care ratings. Guanacaste Costa Rica has a new hospital which is appealing to Americans. You need to do a little research, but you need to get the biopsy. If the local hospitals cannot lower their prices, I would almost guarantee that you can pay for a wonderful week in Costa Rica staying at wonderful hotels and seeing the biological diversity of the nation and still put money in your pocket having the procedure done there. You need to check other nations, but the transportation costs from New Orleans are going to be reasonable. You have coverage this winter........if the worst news becomes a reality.....early treatment is essential.....take a vacation on the failed American medical system. I am alive because of two shots I receive each month.....22k, yet in Canada the are 6k.......you do not see how messed up this system has become until you get sick.

Bob wrote:
doubtingthomas wrote:Did you have power of attorney before she passed? That might help but the poa expires when a person does. Did she have a will that you have a copy? A death certificate might help. Or if she named you on all the forms as a contact or someone to release information to, that just might take care of it. My wife could not get info about me a couple of years ago because I had not named her as one to release protected health information to.
I had power of attorney but there was no will.  I'll try to find the POA document and try again to find the death certificate.  I wonder if the funeral home would still have the death certificate on file (after 3 years)?

You can get a copy of the death certificate at the Dept of Health, used to be $10.00.

Bob, seaoat is right about Costa Rica, I know a couple of people, one is from there living here and the other is from here and they say the cost of procedures are a fraction of the cost than they are here.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I've been wanting to visit Costa Rica to see why many Americans are so fond of it. Now maybe I can get my chance. lol

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

http://www.medicaltourisminindia.org/

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:http://www.medicaltourisminindia.org/

I dunno. India is a fer fer place for an old cracker who aint never been out of the country. I might want to eat the cow they're worshipping or something. Or ask them something stupid like " is your goal to own a convenience store?"

I guess my mistake was not having a real job like a congressman. Then I wouldn't worry about how much this thing is gonna cost cause the taxpayers would buy whatever treatment I needed. lol

2seaoat

I would suggest that you have a discussion with your doctor concerning bad news from the biopsy. What are typical procedures which would be recommended, and what are the costs and time table for those treatments. If in fact you were to go to Costa Rica, and in fact they find spread, then you need to be informed as to treatments and costs.....also, would a week in Costa Rica be sufficient if they began Radiation or Chemo. These are very sad times in America to be having these conversations. We need medicare for all.........there is a difference between socialized medicine, and an insurance based premium system.....but shills for the Oligarchy have average Americans hoodwinked, and until someone in their family gets sick.......well......wisdom has a price.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Unlike many others in this situation,  fortunately I'll be able to swing it.  All it means is that I won't be able to buy something else for fun that I didn't need anyway.
But I've had a feeling for years that my life savings belonged to the medical/industrial complex and they were just letting me keep it safe for them for when they finally would want it.  And now they are coming around to collect.  lol

But of course that depends on the SLNB being negative as expected.
If the really bad luck strikes and it's positive, then the surgeries and interferon treatments will not just take my fun money. Then the medical/industrial complex will be taking everything including the money I eat on and pay the bills with. Shocked 

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

I've been offline all afternoon, so I just saw your posts.

DT has the best ideas regarding getting your mother's medical records. a POA designating you as her medical decision-maker (a "living will") may be enough, as DT says.

I've never faced that before, so I don't know the best approach.

It's good that your oncologist is taking your case before the melanoma board at SHH. Sounds like you really are in a gray area. If your oncologist eventually orders the SNLB, I wonder if the SHH foundation can assist you with cost, like Baptist Foundation sometimes does? Someone recently mentioned that the We Care program is still in effect at SHH, although I thought it had closed. It's worth a try.

2seaoat

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/access-to-medical-or-health-records-of-someone-who-has-died.aspx

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/access-to-medical-or-health-records-of-someone-who-has-died.aspx

Thanks, seaoat, but that page applies to the rules in England. Although it may have some similarity to the rules in the U.S., dunno.

2seaoat

Exactly the same.....the personal representative of your mother's estate can have access.....POA for health care expire upon the death of the principal.

I highly doubt that your mothers lung cancer was related to the melanoma on her nose. It could have been but more than likely a second type of cancer. its not uncommon for people to have multiple types of skin cancers throughout their life and then later have a internal primary cancer of a different cell/organ.

So I really don't know how frustrating yourself with trying to get your mothers records is going to help you. unless like I suppose you don't have a life and need to stir up and think yourself into a frenzy like a old busy body does.

anyway. if you really want to know how much a sentinel node biopsy is, call the hospital and get a quote. its a outpatient procedure.

Ive watched your little tirade on here about this and really it seems like your are having a panic attack over it and are pushing your doctor into getting a node biopsy when there may be no need for it other than to ease your nerves. people can have multiple melanomas of the flat kind and they are cured by surgery. some people are more prone to these. ive seen people have dozens of these removed over years. im not saying to not do whatever you want, its your life. but I don't think your dermatologist gave you bad advice. they have criteria that is well established at how they treat these.

but any hoooooo....... want to have some dye stuck in ya and give some money to dr farmer, be my guest, call the hospital for the procedure cost. then youll have to call Pensacola pathology for the cost of them to read it out, or maybe sacred can give you that cost but I doubt it.

the pathology fees range from $100-200 per test. on sentinel nodes they will do frozen section which will cost, and they will do immunohistochemistry which will cost. however,i doubt they find any sentinel nodes on you at all from this melanoma. keep in mind if they do see nodes, they may take out multiple nodes and each one of those will have a frozen section done on it and each one will have routine pathology and immunos done on it, all which average again as I said above. so it can add up depending on how many nodes they find. now if they find one and it is positive, they stop and then make a treatment plan for you. so what im saying is with this procedure your not going to get a known flat rate.

call them and stop panicking. do stay alert to whats growing on your body though. you know like that spot on yur head.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

. wrote:

Ive watched your little tirade on here about this and really it seems like your are having a panic attack over it and are pushing your doctor into getting a node biopsy

I told him "listen up,  pal, either you do this node biopsy or I'm gonna rough you up".

Bob wrote:
. wrote:

Ive watched your little tirade on here about this and really it seems like your are having a panic attack over it and are pushing your doctor into getting a node biopsy

I told him "listen up,  pal, either you do this node biopsy or I'm gonna rough you up".

Haha you............................good for you. Nothing wrong with paying for a little piece of mind if you can afford it.

btw I would be careful btw to do one of those out of the country things like some are talking about. you seem very protective of your health so I cant see why you would risk it by going to a 3rd world nation somewhere to save a few dollars. contraire to what they say, this country does have the best health care.

oh perhaps mr seaoat who spends 22 thousand dollars a MONTH for 2 shots and complains its cheaper in Canada. might ask him with all his money is he still seeing American physicians.Smile 

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The doctors and hospitals here are working for nothing. We yahoos are just a bunch of ingrates. We should be thanking our lucky stars that its as cheap as it is.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Bob, please change your avatar back to your photo......

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I second that motion...Bob. I want to know whether you're happy with your primary care physician. I would discuss this with that person, or I can recommend someone else. You need to talk to someone who knows the territory and will take the time to sit down with you. And please get rid of that avatar...no, that was not an invitation to put up something else equally disgusting.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I can't change it.  That photo is the real me now.  It defines me for the rest of my life.  That thing controls my destiny from here on.  
It controls the vertical.  It controls the horizontal.  It can change the focus of my life to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity.
I'm about to participate in a great adventure.  I'm about to experience the awe and mystery, which reaches from the inner melanocytes to the outer limits.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum