Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gee....it looks like Biloxi after 9 years of trying is going to get minor league baseball

4 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

but the Santa Rosa folks are filling seats

Back that up. How many Santa Rosian's are attending games? You have no idea who is or isnt attending.

Biloxi is in a far better economic atmosphere than Pensacola is. We cannot compete with Biloxi. You know that.

2seaoat

Back that up. How many Santa Rosian's are attending games? You have no idea who is or isnt attending.

Biloxi is in a far better economic atmosphere than Pensacola is. We cannot compete with Biloxi. You know that.

This sadly has become like shooting fish in a barrel........so the argument is that Maritime Park is a failure because we cannot compete with Biloxi......and Seaoat has to back up that folks from Santa Rosa are attending games...........so five thousand folks vote with their feet......and your attempt to build a new Humpty Dumpty theory on why Maritime is a failure is that Seaoat cannot prove that Santa Rosa folks are attending, and that Biloxi has a better economic atomosphere than Pensacola.......

Look......back away from the glue........it is impacting your judgment and you are becoming a glue head.......huffing and puffing to blow the success of Maritime Park down.......the glue was supposed to hold you egg man together.....but you and Hallmark are inhaling the fumes and getting more tipsy by the day.......heaven knows what will happen when they announce the attendance figures at the end of the year and they are still over 300k.....well Biloxi will do 400k.....so therefore........Maritime Park is a failure.....put the glue down......clear your heads.

LOSERS
Pensacola Downtown CRA
The Community Redevelopment Agency has lost its director and is doing little to increase revenue to handle payments due on outstanding bonds for the maritime park and to ECUA for relocating its Main Street plant. So, of course, the CRA chairman Brian Spencer and City Administrator Bill Reynolds have suspended any CRA meetings. Only in Pensacola.

Randy Oliver
The former county administrator delivered on Jan. 31 to the mayor, city council and Community Maritime Park Associates his report on the operations of the maritime park. We all thought that was it and waited for Mayor Ashton Hayward to tell the citizens what he will do with the recommendations. Nearly three months later, we learn Oliver has a new final report. Again we wait (thumbs twiddling) for Hayward.

Pensacola Neighborhood Services
In March 2012, the city department was awarded the contract to manage the maritime park. In its proposal, the department projected it would generate $235,000 from concerts, rentals, vendor rentals and miscellaneous. As of March 31, 2013, Neighborhood Services missed the mark by nearly $200,000, taking only $37,115 for those items. It’s only success was charging for parking for Wahoo games and other events. Oliver failed to mention this in his reports. Hmmm.

Property taxes
The issue of whether the $18 million stadium can qualify for a property tax exemption throws another layer onto the financial viability of the CMPA board.
In theory, the $18 million stadium could generate a tax bill totaling more than $340,000 every year, though Jones could find only a portion of the stadium would need to pay taxes.
The use agreement with the Wahoos states that should property taxes ever be levied, the CMPA will pay them.

For example, Winter Wonderland, which included an ice rink at the park for 36 days in November and December, generated $43,377 for the CMPA, not including parking. Northwest Florida Professional Baseball lost $216,654.
• In April, the CMPA board established minimum rental fees for all non-baseball events at the stadium, which will guarantee that the fixed cost to the CMPA of simply opening the stadium doors and running the lights and utilities will be covered.

That board, however, did not apply those fees to the Wahoos because of the ongoing negotiations with the city on non-baseball day use at the stadium.

• Oliver also said the CMPA’s $541,054 contract with the city’s Neighborhood Services department to book events for non-baseball days and operate the park on those days was not sustainable

“Currently, there is no one governing body responsible for decision making,” Oliver wrote. “While this was most recently evidenced by the YMCA property issue it permeates to the day-to-day activities. ... The current approach is, at best, confusing to the public, developers, staff.

Nekochan

Nekochan

I would not even post on this thread except I read this story this morning here in Huntsville:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/06/stars_owner_cant_clear_the_air.html

2seaoat

Even with confusion......the baseball operations are continuing to kick butt, and generate money to pay the bonds.......while all the other components of the park struggle.......baseball saves the day.......money and people keep coming........look forward to some folks doing a better job on the ancillary attractions.......but as long as 300k attend baseball......all the things which the MS studies say about economic value to the community remain constant.....and as the buildings start this next year, and lease payments increase.......poor old Humpty Dumpty will never be put together by the naysayers.......VICTORY IS SWEET!........that sound of flip flops.....that is not BP and Hallmark......nope.....that sound is coming from folks going to ballgames.......yippppppppeeeeeee.............now you boyz go stick your head back into that paper bag and start huffing that glue............this is way too much fun.

Even with confusion......the baseball operations are continuing to kick butt, and generate money to pay the bonds

In February, a consultant painted a glum financial future for the Community Maritime Park’s governing board.

Now, the picture appears worse.

The Community Maritime Park Associates board will need a $400,000 subsidy from city taxpayers to stay afloat, something that would mark a major change in direction from the original vision for the park.

2seaoat wrote:Even with confusion......the baseball operations are continuing to kick butt, and generate money to pay the bonds.......while all the other components of the park struggle.......baseball saves the day.......money and people keep coming........look forward to some folks doing a better job on the ancillary attractions.......but as long as 300k attend baseball......all the things which the MS studies say about economic value to the community remain constant.....and as the buildings start this next year, and lease payments increase.......poor old Humpty Dumpty will never be put together by the naysayers.......VICTORY IS SWEET!........that sound of flip flops.....that is not BP and Hallmark......nope.....that sound is coming from folks going to ballgames.......yippppppppeeeeeee.............now you boyz go stick your head back into that paper bag and start huffing that glue............this is way too much fun.

Really. Who is leading the attendance record in the Southern League?

I give you a hint, not the Blue wahoos!

Eat crow bitch.

2seaoat

Really. Who is leading the attendance record in the Southern League?

I give you a hint, not the Blue wahoos!

Eat crow bitch.

butter it up for the end of the season........did you put garlic on your crow last year, or did you put a little of dreams buffoon helium on it before you ate........I know it was yummy.....cause you clamor for some more.

The Community Maritime Park Associates board will need a $400,000 subsidy from city taxpayers to stay afloat, something that would mark a major change in direction from the original vision for the park.

I wish we could butter over that Oats but reality says otherwise.

I see no pro park folks coming out and offering to pony up the 400K. Not even Studer.

2seaoat

I see no pro park folks coming out and offering to pony up the 400K. Not even Studer.

There really is not a deficit. There is political bickering. The ticket surcharge is the simple answer for the next five years, but depending on construction schedules it may be only half of the projected when lease payments begin.

A simple camping weekend concert series could raise 500k profit without really lifting a finger.....the key is the camping component. The gentleman of the road concert series put on by Mumford and Sons in2012 was bringing close to a million cash to four American cities.....the key was having camping for 10k people and the after parties in the downtown area. One weekend concert after the baseball season in September or October will cover the nut and this thing will be printing money in five years......just limited by having one entity responsible for the success of the park.....it will evolve, but the current success is unquestioned.....the folks keep voting with their feet.

The Community Maritime Park Associates board will need a $400,000 subsidy

Someone needs to vote with their bill fold. Attendance dosent matter if there is a sweetheart deal and Studer takes all the money and the citizen have to bail out the park. Hell, He doesn't even pay for electric to run the lights.
Refresh my memory. How much did you project the deficit to be when we first started talking about the Ball Park? How much do you think they will need next year.? Forget about the 500,000 dollar loan for the amphitheater, that is a wash. We are now in the middle of the 2nd season. Not only have we not made any money, we are losing money.
Give the Hootenanny business a rest. But maybe you can help Studer with a better idea than the Winter Wonderland event and that cost him 254,000 dollars.
Studerville is not easy to rent for non Baseball events. It is a baseball stadium.
The time for dreaming has come to a end. The Park MUST be self sufficient. Not next year, Now!!!

Mark my word Studer just thinks he has been in the barrel in this project continues to stall.

“It was always meant to be self-sustaining,” said Lacey Collier, the federal judge who chaired the board from its inception until February 2010. Guess what!! It aint. LOL

2seaoat

Guess what!! It aint. LOL

Nope, everything is in place for profits from the park. As Studer pays his lease on the new building, and the realtors pay the rent on their new building, the deficit with just these two buildings is cut in half, and if the Y finds it way back to the park....the deficit is in the rear view mirror.....but the concerts at this location which involve camping weekends....goldmine.

When do you think the first concert will be?

I have a good idea of when.....
Gee....it looks like Biloxi after 9 years of trying is going to get minor league baseball - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPIRQv6BKpWfj-XVDxmirDXA2r7_g-ApNRpqob_muznZjY2Rlv

Nope, everything is in place for profits from the park.

Earth to Mr Oats. There are NO profits from the park

The Fire Marshal is not going to let 10K people sleep at the Park. Studer wont allow it either.

2seaoat

Old Stinky would be set up for camping, and Fort Pickens with ferries.......Monterrey, boomed when Mumford and sons came, and the camping aspect was pure profit for the cities who hosted the concerts.....a fall concert series is a no brainer........Jam productions would salivate to have the Maritime venue.......and eventually when the folks start booking some concerts, it will be a home run.

FWIW If you think the people from Port Royal, Arragon Court and Russenburgs Marina, and even the Bodacious Olive are going to let a bunch of drunk Ass Hats take over their part of the city, you really need to think again. You are awareof the new city crack down of people camping in the city limits. You really dont know Pensacola. Do you remember "Spring Fest?" What killed that concert venue?

Last edited by hallmarkgrad2 on 6/1/2013, 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

ECUA owns the Old Stinky property. The results from environmental studies are not back yet. There are bigger plans for the property than a camp ground for drunk concert goers. Note the Place has large "NO Trespassing" signs all over it.

Oats, Send Studer your camping idea and report back to us.

2seaoat

Oats, Send Studer your camping idea and report back to us.

Studer would have nothing to do with a September concert and camping weekend. The area at old stinky would be perfect for a two night camping experience. What they did with mumford and Sons was run acts all day saturday. The campers set up Friday morning through the evening. They had shuttle buses from parking areas to the campground designated areas. Folks could not have fires, and they stacked them in there pretty tightly......the fire marshalls controlled the density, but at most locations they had 10k campers paying 30 bucks for the camping and 20 bucks for the parking and shuttles. The cities were making 500k, and the concert tickets for 15k people were $60 of which a couple hundred thousand went to the acts, a couple hundred thousand to showers, and porta potties, and additional security. and the promoters and cities made huge profits.

What really made it nice is they took about eight square blocks of the downtown area and after the concert ended at 10pm, the acts were set up all over downtown, and the cities charged six bucks or so for anybody to enter the after parties......business owners got temporary vending permits and they could set up liquor or food in front of their businesses. Locals and town people could get into the after party and with Pensacola's Pelican drop handling 50k people, you could have a 75k event or bigger. They shut every thing down at 2am, and the folks had to be out of their campsites by noon Sunday. Wheel barrows of money which were shared with the local business community and proved to be a gold mine last summer. The truth is that Pensacola needs some younger people giving input, because they are out of touch with what young people want today.

Oats says
The truth is that Pensacola needs some younger people giving input, because they are out of touch with what young people want today.

LOL I guess the young people wanted a Park with a Baseball stadium and a 94 million dollar debt. You can not have it both ways. People like me will stop that kind of shit even before it gets started. Try again. PS The young people had to leave to find work. We need real jobs, not damn concerts and open bars. Go screw up some place else.

hallmarkgrad2 wrote:Oats says
The truth is that Pensacola needs some younger people giving input, because they are out of touch with what young people want today.

LOL I guess the young people wanted a Park with a Baseball stadium and a 94 million dollar debt. You can not have it both ways. People like me will stop that kind of shit even before it gets started. Try again. PS The young people had to leave to find work. We need real jobs, not damn concerts and open bars. Go screw up some place else.

Yep, real jobs. If Studer would bring in some high job paying biz, He'd be a damn hero. Nope, he is satisfied with low pay part time seasonal jobs.

Hallmark, maybe we ought to move to Biloxi instead. Closer to Ship Island.

I have already left Mississippi one time. My wife was from south of Hattisburg, little town called Lumberton. I sold it have She passed away. LOL I know the Good Old Boys. Quite a bunch of Characters. Not far from there in Baxterville in the Tatum Salt domes were the only 2 atomic device tests outside of Nevada were detonated

Last edited by hallmarkgrad2 on 6/1/2013, 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

BP Snacks wrote:
hallmarkgrad2 wrote:Oats says

Yep, real jobs. If Studer would bring in some high job paying biz, He'd be a damn hero. Nope, he is satisfied with low pay part time seasonal jobs.

Hallmark, maybe we ought to move to Biloxi instead. Closer to Ship Island.

Studer provide some good jobs.,,,,,In Gulf breeze LOL But hold ya breath Like Santa Claus He is coming to town LOL

2seaoat wrote:Oats, Send Studer your camping idea and report back to us.

Studer would have nothing to do with a September concert and camping weekend. The area at old stinky would be perfect for a two night camping experience. What they did with mumford and Sons was run acts all day saturday. The campers set up Friday morning through the evening. They had shuttle buses from parking areas to the campground designated areas. Folks could not have fires, and they stacked them in there pretty tightly......the fire marshalls controlled the density, but at most locations they had 10k campers paying 30 bucks for the camping and 20 bucks for the parking and shuttles. The cities were making 500k, and the concert tickets for 15k people were $60 of which a couple hundred thousand went to the acts, a couple hundred thousand to showers, and porta potties, and additional security. and the promoters and cities made huge profits.

What really made it nice is they took about eight square blocks of the downtown area and after the concert ended at 10pm, the acts were set up all over downtown, and the cities charged six bucks or so for anybody to enter the after parties......business owners got temporary vending permits and they could set up liquor or food in front of their businesses. Locals and town people could get into the after party and with Pensacola's Pelican drop handling 50k people, you could have a 75k event or bigger. They shut every thing down at 2am, and the folks had to be out of their campsites by noon Sunday. Wheel barrows of money which were shared with the local business community and proved to be a gold mine last summer. The truth is that Pensacola needs some younger people giving input, because they are out of touch with what young people want today.

Why do people think stuff like this is a good thing for a area that has Poor health, high crime, high unemployment, a sub par education system and a very low per capita income? OH lets have a big concert, charge to camp, sell booze and take what ever disposal income we can from these folks. All ways the same damn thing. If people spent 1/2 as much time trying to convince quality businesses to come here and promote education and Job training, we would be much better off. But sports and partying trumps hard work and skill training every damn time.
Young people follow their leaders. They are not stupid. When they see their leaders piss away a 100 million on a Park, they quickly understand. Hey!! It is party time, who needs to work? The rich get richer on the backs of the poor. Play Ball, lets have another beer. All is good

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

My youngest daughter, who is 28 and is coming to visit tomorrow, was born here but doesn't feel that she can make enough here to make it worth her while to come back. I don't think anything Studer has done here will improve that situation. I fact, it's probably much worse than before...now we have a debt that's being pawned off on the City taxpayers. Notice that Escambia County, Gulf Breeze, and other somewhat local areas can enjoy the "community park" without being burdened by the property taxes that will ultimately fund its' operations. It's not the first time people with money have pushed off their ventures on the city taxpayers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum