Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hallmark, these are the people we fought the cold war with....

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

"The kingdom of God is within man. Not one man, nor a group of men, but in all men: in you. You the people have the power, the power to create machines, the power to create happiness. You the people have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure."

- Charlie Chaplin (The Great Dictator)

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I finally figured out that the Soviet Union was hardly the enemy the MIC and our politicians made them out to be. I sure was fooled, however. I will not forget as an 8-year old (around 1959), watching Nikita Kruschev on my family's old black and white Packard Bell TV, banging the podium at the UN in NY with his shoe, and declaring that "We will bury you!" That scared the daylight out of me, and likely cemented my notion to serve in the military one day. I had to help defend my country against the Russian menace.

Of course, Russians were likely seeing how the U.S. was becoming militarily involved all over the world, with wars and regime changes going on wherever our government saw fit. They likely were just as scared of us.

The little folks? We were just pawns in the game. When the USSR finally fell, the MIC had to come up with a new enemy real quick, or their profits would have suffered under the so-called "peace dividend." I'll tell ya, 9/11 and Muslim terrorism stepped in to save the day, so our government could continue to grow and the MIC's profits would not suffer one bit.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

That was a cool video, BTW. You would not see such chivalry here in the U.S.

Sal

Sal

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

The little folks? We were just pawns in the game. When the USSR finally fell, the MIC had to come up with a new enemy real quick, or their profits would have suffered under the so-called "peace dividend." I'll tell ya, 9/11 and Muslim terrorism stepped in to save the day, so our government could continue to grow and the MIC's profits would not suffer one bit. [/color]

Spot on, Z.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I have always wanted to meet a Russian or some Russians just to talk about the Cold War and our rivalry then. My daughter has been teaching as an adjunct at UWF (English Comp), and she had a young Russian woman as a student, and I would have loved to talk to this gal. In 1980, a family acquaintance who provided a home to foreign exchange students out in California had some Russian exchange students in her home and offered me a chance to meet them, but I had to turn it down. I was a USMC Captain then, and such an encounter could have gotten me in trouble.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I have some Russian friends. The grandma is from the Ukraine and doesn't speak English very well at all, but we still manage to communicate. Her daughter was a physician there, but has a young son and chose to study physical therapy here rather than practice medicine so she could spend more time with him. I don't know what kind of certification she would have had to go through to practice here. She and my daughter, who is a nurse, really hit it off and they get the kids together to play at the park, where I first met the grandma and her grandson.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum