Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another flood......I am very tired....do not think I can overcome this one.....

+7
TEOTWAWKI
Nekochan
Yella
PBulldog2
ZVUGKTUBM
knothead
2seaoat
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

2seaoat

https://i.servimg.com/u/f77/17/94/43/34/2013-011.jpg

Another flood......I am very tired....do not think I can overcome this one..... 2013-011

Out in the distance is a bathroom trailer which I had been fighting the state.....I now have record flood levels over the islands.....everything you see in that photo is a series of causeways and dry land.....the trailers at that location are elevated about 6 feet above the island surface......there is three to four feet of water running over the islands scouring my roads, my bridges, and destroying my surfaces which were all seeded and solid......my Bobcat has a problem with the hydraulic drive.....and I am simply too tired to fight anymore.....I think after 10 years of building my little retirement paradise.....I think I am giving up.........mother nature and the man upstairs makes man's efforts at certain times.....well.....mere folly.

As you look out to those trailers, there once was a series of causeways over the river which is usually ten feet lower....the damage will be in the 10s of thousands, and I simply no longer have the strength to sit in a machine for hours to do repairs........at least some of our boats and docks remain cabled and safe.....my wood splitter is sitting under four feet of water, and two of my trailers are under water......can repack bearings.......but not in my weakened state.....so I simply look in awe at the power of mother nature.....and finally admit utter failure trying to tame mother nature.

Last edited by 2seaoat on 4/20/2013, 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

More floods there than with hurricanes. Sucks.

2seaoat

More floods there than with hurricanes. Sucks.

Dennis and Ivan kick my asz........and since we have owned these islands for 10years.....there have been 8 record floods which have peaked all other floods being recorded over a 112 years on river gages.......the good news is the man upstairs reminds us of our humanity and our limits......I think I need that reminder at times......it is very humbling, and until this flood, I would get back up, get on the machines, and rebuild......but the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.........I just looked at the historic river gages and kept thinking these floods were flukes......something major has changed in our weather systems.....or I am one very unlucky individual......either way, I will post photos when the water recedes in the next two weeks, and you will see how powerful this flood was.

Lost everything I had in Ivan, well, everything that the ex didn't take in the divorce.

knothead

knothead

Mr. Oats, where is this roughly? In Illinois?

2seaoat

I will only be able to tell you that it is in Illinois, Wisconsin, or Iowa....I need to keep my ghost status, and will tell you it is within four hours of Chicago and on a major midwest river. It is the most beautiful place I have ever known, and it has some historic importance which someday I will explain as I begin to fade, or I will have my wife tell the rest of the story after I pass.

I picked up a brushhog which I had used in Milton clearing land with my bobcat, and over the years I would transport my equipment and clear the islands. I picked up this soil conditioner attachment which is chain driven and attaches to the bobcat, and after a flood it has spindles and spikes which churn the soil about three inches deep, and then I simply throw seed, and this river bottom land is so very fertile, that in four weeks it is like a lush golf course......but that is over fifty acres of seeding and thousands of dollars of diesel and seed......and a great deal of wear and tear on one very sick and weak individual. If the water recedes within five days.....there is a high probability that much of the grass will survive, but we are looking at over a week more flooding, and more storm systems. It has been an an adventure I would not trade for anything, but if I told you how much I have poured into this.....folks would think I am a mad man.

knothead

knothead

No doubt you are tired of repairing and mitigating these weather related events but you knew to build/invest so much both financially and emotionally was a huge risk with it being so risk averse . . . . kinda surprises me that you are such a risk taker . . . . unless you love duck hunting!

2seaoat

kinda surprises me that you are such a risk taker .

It is a fatal flaw of my existence........I have never learned the flight part of fight and flight......so I am in a tournament of Champions poker event last december which had the winners of each of the weekly tournaments.....and I go all in with a pair of duces.......people sometimes just look at me like I am f'ing nuts.......People in town used to line the shore when I was building bridge/causeways with an excavator and see me teetering over certain death....or stuck in mud up to the cab.....and mumbling.....that man is insane.......no, I finally found out why my judgment on risk has been less than stellar. Endocrine cancer and the tumors associated with it cause the hormonal system to pump high levels of hormones into the body. In my case my hormone levels are about 500% higher than the average person, and this is usually the first indicator of metastis of the liver......but the doctors explained to me how it would create some problems with my flight and fight reactions. I have been upside down in a bobcat at the bottom of the river.....should have been dead, but an entire bank collapsed, and as I was underwater upside down.......I almost laughed at what a dumb asz I was and how utterly incompetent I had become in apprising risk.....I was lucky that I had broke my glass windshield in another adventure with the bobcat.....so I simply released the lap restraint, and swam to the surface....I calmly got in my truck....drove to my lull all terrain forklift and drove it to the causeway to extract the bobcat and proceeded to have the 30k lb machine collapse the otherside of the causeway and as it flips into the water, I jump free to the causeway....alive and not crushed......when the crane came to extract the machines.....there were a lot of pictures.....and some mumbling.....but I could look in their eyes.....they had me nailed as one crazy SOB......and little did I know that my liver was filling with tumors, and my assessment of risk was flawed.....it cuts both ways.....the local Rambos are scared to death of me, as I have physically gone after them as one particular used to bully everybody in town.......now he just tells people you need to stay away from that crazy SOB.....he scares me........the funny thing is he is a puppy dog, and he comes over yesterday wanting to retrieve two of my aluminum diesel tanks........like I am his best friend.....crazy risk takers built this country....and sometimes they got their asz kicked.....I completely understand.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Earth to Seaoat: Try consulting FEMA Flood Zone maps before you ever purchase property in the future!

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

I not only knew the FEMA maps, I had gone back 112 years and studied the flood gauges of this river system. I knew based on historical records I could expect one major flood every ten years. We have had eight major floods since purchasing the property, and six of them are now all time highs......

I can kayak, canoe, and boat in a natural paradise. We have three eagles nesting across the river, mink, beaver, coyotes, cougar sightings, and wolf sightings. The river is perfect for tubing trips, and the catfish and walleye.....has been a joy when I have time to fish. I dreamed since I was a kid to find a place like this......but as old timers in town have said.....Mr. Seaoat......we have never seen anything like this in 75 years of living on the river.......there is really something to global warming and the extremes in these floods.......I only have to look at the river data to tell you how utterly insane the last decade has been from a statistical analysis.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Seaoat, I am so sorry. But hey, it's OK to rest.

The land will be beautiful again soon, even though it may not be just the way you tried to mold it. It is the journey that is important, not the outcome. You are right - Mother Nature is stronger than we humans will ever be.

Sit on that porch with a cup of coffee and watch nature's beauty come out again as the waters recede.

2seaoat

Sit on that porch with a cup of coffee and watch nature's beauty come out again as the waters recede.

I wish it was that easy......I cannot fully explain, but I wish it was that easy. It peaked about an hour ago, and I am hopeful that we can assess the damage sometime next weekend if the water continues to drop.....until the next thunder storm.

Yella

Yella

It would be cool it this country could slop fighting so many wars and start digging some canals to ready to let flood waters go to holding tanks in the west where water is at a premium.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Nekochan

Nekochan

I'm sorry, Seaoat. Crying or Very sad

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

2seaoat wrote:https://i.servimg.com/u/f77/17/94/43/34/2013-011.jpg

Another flood......I am very tired....do not think I can overcome this one..... 2013-011

Out in the distance is a bathroom trailer which I had been fighting the state.....I now have record flood levels over the islands.....everything you see in that photo is a series of causeways and dry land.....the trailers at that location are elevated about 6 feet above the island surface......there is three to four feet of water running over the islands scouring my roads, my bridges, and destroying my surfaces which were all seeded and solid......my Bobcat has a problem with the hydraulic drive.....and I am simply too tired to fight anymore.....I think after 10 years of building my little retirement paradise.....I think I am giving up.........mother nature and the man upstairs makes man's efforts at certain times.....well.....mere folly.

As you look out to those trailers, there once was a series of causeways over the river which is usually ten feet lower....the damage will be in the 10s of thousands, and I simply no longer have the strength to sit in a machine for hours to do repairs........at least some of our boats and docks remain cabled and safe.....my wood splitter is sitting under four feet of water, and two of my trailers are under water......can repack bearings.......but not in my weakened state.....so I simply look in awe at the power of mother nature.....and finally admit utter failure trying to tame mother nature.

Stop biting your nails....

2seaoat

Stop biting your nails....

how do you know that is my finger.......

My wife walked the dog behind the house on the mainland, and the damn beavers started slapping their tails.....they are totally pissed off with this flood. I hate beaver. They kill my young saplings, and then dam up one of my channels I cut when I set a 14' box culvert........the strength of this flood just blew away their dam. Had snow flurries last night......cold and a flood is no fun, but the volunteer fire department had to evacuate a young mom and a three month old infant......her husband is serving overseas, and none of the neighbors told her about river gages or how her house would flood in.....the chief is almost 70, and it is hard for these volunteers to risk saving folks because they do not engage their brains.......I am crazy, but I would not take one of the boats out in this one.....it would only go one direction.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

2seaoat wrote:Stop biting your nails....

how do you know that is my finger.......

My wife walked the dog behind the house on the mainland, and the damn beavers started slapping their tails.....they are totally pissed off with this flood. I hate beaver. They kill my young saplings, and then dam up one of my channels I cut when I set a 14' box culvert........the strength of this flood just blew away their dam. Had snow flurries last night......cold and a flood is no fun, but the volunteer fire department had to evacuate a young mom and a three month old infant......her husband is serving overseas, and none of the neighbors told her about river gages or how her house would flood in.....the chief is almost 70, and it is hard for these volunteers to risk saving folks because they do not engage their brains.......I am crazy, but I would not take one of the boats out in this one.....it would only go one direction.

Be careful a Beaver bit a man on the leg the other day and the man bled out and died.....

Sal

Sal

TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Be careful a Beaver bit a man on the leg the other day and the man bled out and died.....

Ban Beavers!! ...

... no, wait ...

2seaoat

Beavers can be very territorial........it is really irritating for me when they are slapping their tails and telling me that I do not belong here.....then again.....maybe I should have listened a few years back. They make incredible damns...........but I suppose we are talking about other type of beavers.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

2seaoat wrote:https://i.servimg.com/u/f77/17/94/43/34/2013-011.jpg

I think Seaoat needs to invest in a personal submarine.

2seaoat

The prior owner in 1959 purchased war surplus and he got two ducks....the amphibious landing vehicles....prior to putting in the causeways.....he would simply fire up a duck.....and float over to one of the islands.......they built what they called rescue mounds.....a flood would come, and they would drive their cars up the mounds......now the Army Corps will not let you build up the surface of an island in a river without a permit if you are going higher than six inches. The way I get around it is to purchase concrete blocks which are six feet by three by three. It has a steel recessed place for a hook, so I argue my blocks are not permanent, and then I set things on them. I built a stage last summer and had a couple bands play for neighbors......it was beautiful on a summer night to be in the wilderness listening to music, but when it floods they blocks are 5k pounds and my lull can lift 10k....so I raise what I can......and get my asz kicked on the rest..........it is a very special place............

knothead

knothead

Well if you are a rock promoter perhaps you should put together a proposal for P. Bch, I hear they have a weekend opening now in July.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Seaoat, perhaps I was speaking to myself as much as to you what appeared on the face of it to be a simplistic suggestion. There comes a time, Seaoat, when it's OK to stop fighting. This is a lesson I have learned, and one I need to remember.

I used to be the epitome of the female "this old house" restorer, and I worked hour upon hour in my yard building gorgeous gardens. Then along came Ivan, during the same year I went through a nasty bout of chemo and radiation.

For several years, I beat on myself continually for not being able to get up, get out and make it all right again. Sometimes I still get down on myself for that. The truth is, my body never fully recovered from the chemo/radiation. It just didn't. My energy levels are nothing like they were prior, and I just can't do everything I used to do.

For the past few years, nature has taken over what were once my gardens. It doesn't look bad, it just doesn't look like it used to every spring - there are no new plantings, no new gardens. But Seaoat, the simple joy for me comes when I see, amidst nature's chaos, a perennial plant popping up in the spot I planted one years ago.

Just this morning, I was outside looking at my tattered garden. I have planted nothing new this year, but as I stood there, I saw wildflowers and perennials popping up here....and there.....and hey, even over there! And Seaoat, I felt joy. Nature continues when we cannot.

Yes, it's a terrible thing that the floods have taken out a large portion of what you have built. But your island remains. There is still beauty there.

2seaoat

I wish I took your advice at 55.......I am 61 now, and it does not much matter one way or the other.....I am up to my armpits in the muck.........already planning to rent a machine next week if I cannot get my hydraulic pump working on the bobcat......so in the old days I would be pulling the tracks and trying to get to the pump.....now....just rent a machine, put my attachment on it, and restore my grass surface on 40-50 acres.....some of it will simply be too wet, other parts will still have the grass, so I may get away with less work....but I can still sit in a machine or on a lawn mower......I need this place, and when I am a half mile out there in the woods....watching the river.....I forget I am sick......and I think about the beauty of this world. It will probably be two weeks before I can work on it.

Here is what is going on throughout the midwest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czh-gfNkOEQ

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

That video of that little bridge reminds me of my favorite spot aboard MCB Quantico, VA where I was stationed during my last two years of military service. The best fishing I have ever done in my life was in a little creek named Cedar Run. There was one-mile stretch that ran through the base that was not channelized, starting with a little bridge like that one. It would flood once or twice per year--I would see logs lodged 15 feet up a tree, and later see them gone.

Bass, shellcracker, sunfish, warmouth, catfish, even grass carp. I caught it all. I would go out about 3:00 PM on Saturday afternoon, and not return until I either ran out of night crawlers, or it got too dark.

The fishing here will never compare to the fishing in northern Virginia--ever.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum